Still on the move... Meant2Move's journal

Page 9 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Re: Still on the move... Meant2Move's journal

Post by Pedidoc on Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:21 pm

My first thought was how's your blood pressure.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:38 pm

Pedidoc wrote:My first thought was how's your blood pressure.

My blood pressure is naturally low, my readings are typically 95/65.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:47 pm

Lovely late afternoon walk around campus - 3.3 miles with an avg pace of 14:31/mile which is decent for wearing a dress and hose... flat heeled boots.

Today has been one of those days when I do 100 little pesky tasks to avoid the big one that I need to do but don't want to.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:48 pm

Meant2Move wrote:
Pedidoc wrote:My first thought was how's your blood pressure.

My blood pressure is naturally low, my readings are typically 95/65.  

Postural hypotension (BP dropping when sitting or standing up) can cause dizziness and fainting. You might want to make sure you are drinking enough water.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:12 pm

Thanks, Kathi. I'm usually pretty good about drinking enough, although as dry as we are lately, it is hard to keep up. I will pay a little more attention to be sure. Despite my typical blood pressure readings, I'm rarely faint or dizzy when I stand up. Nonetheless, no one ever wants to take my blood given my BP readings.

And likely, I just need to dab some vaseline on a q-tip and swirl it around in my nostrils - again, atmospheric dryness. I swear, humidity has been as close to nothing as it is possible to be.

Continuing to get lots of little pesky stuff done...
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:16 pm

Vaseline is great. You could also run a cool mist humidifier at night.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:03 pm

Vaseline helped, will start doing that every evening when I brush my teeth.

Had another brief rollover to vertigo episode this morning although not nearly so strong. Wonder if it will be any different for being in a hotel/low elevation tonight... I think I hope not as an artificial situation that fixes the problem is not helpful.

Not sure it is going to work, but I am planning to meet T at the climbing gym for our weekly date. I don't like pain and if it hurts my knee, I'll back off. I'll get in a couple miles walking there and back, and likely stop on my way to Phoenix to walk around an outdoor shopping center with nice grounds. Might as well enjoy the warm evening before I get to my hotel.

Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:01 pm

M2M I hope the knee was ok with the climb. Sounds like a good plan to stop and stretch your legs.

Enjoy the warmth, I’m jealous
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:18 pm

Climbing was really fun. Good walk to the gym in coolish weather. I was fairly cautious as I started off on an easy route, but my knee felt OK. I did an overhanging route that required a heel hook and that hurt, so I stayed away from routes that required more of that movement. Even though it had only been a couple of weeks since I last climbed, I was surprised at how rusty I felt. After only 4 routes I was feeling my arms which meant I was over-gripping and likely not using my feet particularly well. My first lead went well but the second was pretty bad. I didn't fall, but I really struggled and that was frustrating. Did an easier route for lead #3 to boost my confidence. In all, 8 routes, 3 leads.

Nice walk back to the office, slipped in an extra mile, so about 3.3 total. Took care of a few little things, then set off for Phoenix after picking up some food to take with me. Quick stop at the rest area, skipped the shopping center in favor of getting to the hotel.

Should get in a good fast walk in the morning, I pick this hotel for the excellent walking path nearby and a functional kitchen. Friday will be spent sitting in a meeting - ugh.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:25 am

I wonder if it's a reaction to something in your gut. I went through a series of these on and off for a couple of years. Same roll over deal and spins. Not constant vertigo, only when I bent, rolled over or sat up from lying down. My inner sense kinda pointed to a gut imbalance as it, always, seemed to calm down, for me, when I went to light meals of veggies for a few days and I cleared my lower insides.
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:45 am

Heuristicfireflower wrote:I wonder if it's a reaction to something in your gut.  I went through a series of these on and off for a couple of years.  Same roll over deal and spins. Not constant vertigo, only when I bent, rolled over or sat up from lying down.  My inner sense kinda pointed to a gut imbalance as it, always, seemed to calm down, for me, when I went to light meals of veggies for a few days and I cleared my lower insides.

Maybe - my normal diet is very much plant-based, with eggs and a serving of meat on top. But, this week I have allowed some not so good treats in. Perhaps this is a way of saying "cut the crap!". Didn't eat junk yesterday and it didn't happen overnight. I woke during the night and deliberately tried a roll, although maybe the fact that I was more awake/aware had my brain in more control. The other events have been when I was barely awake. And of course, I am not at home and not at my normal high elevation. Who knows????
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:52 am

My plans to get out for a brisk walk are being thwarted by darkness. I forgot that last week when I was getting out at 6 I was in a different timezone and a different part of a timezone. It is dark and while at home or in a small town that wouldn't bother me, in a big metro area, I am not comfortable with the walking in serious dark. The same canal paths that I love at this hotel are also a place that a lot of homeless folks hang out. Particularly since being accosted by some drunken homeless guys yesterday as I walk from the climbing gym (I just walked away quickly after warning one off from touching me), I don't want to go out in the dark.

So, I've switched gears and just ate breakfast first instead of after. Now I'll get a few things ready - I get very spread out in hotel rooms the instant I walk in the door so even though I was only here 1 evening, I've got packing to do. As soon as dawn appears in the window, I'll walk, then come back to shower. The only drawback to this plan is that I've had coffee already and that leads to morning pees at increased frequency - I prefer to stay out of the canal path bathrooms - again, the homeless factor.

And I forgot my little belt pack for carrying my phone on the walk, grrr.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:39 pm

M2M, a little late for this, but did this hotel have a gym? Maybe a treadmill or bike there. Not what you love but better than nothing.

Happy to hear you were safe and didn’t go out in the dark.

The other thing it could be is the crystals in your ear. That could explain the vertigo, but not the nose bleed. When you go to your PT mention the pose spells. There is a therapy they can do if it’s the crystal and they have a very easy test for it as well. My dad has this issue and the PT my DD worked for specializes in it.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:26 pm

Thanks NM. Yes there was a treadmill but...ugh. It worked out to change order. Actually, I managed some good speed clocking a mile at just over 13 mins and then 2 sub 13 minute miles (walking).

Meeting wasn't to awful, then long call with distraught and frustrated manager.

Heading up the hill to town, shopping (not sure what to cook this weekend), then home.

Sent from Topic'it App
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Greensprout on Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:04 pm

Hope you can sort out your issues. Vaseline in the nostrils is a must here in the cold and dry prairie winters, despite regular use, I often see blood when nose blowing. Clearly a humidity issue. As for the vertigo/potential postural hypotension, when waking, roll onto your side and rise slowly, sit for a moment and allow time for the body to adjust before standing up.
Greensprout

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:57 am

The vertigo feeling is alarming.

I have what I call - episodes. Vertigo is a warning for me. If lucky I do not faint.

Sorry your route took you through an unsafe area. Glad you know how to take care of yourself and thwart unwanted touching by unknown people!

Hope you discover what your vertigo issue is or that it is temporary.

perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:54 pm

Glad you got your walk in. Even in my most fit days, I could not crack 15 min/mi walking. You’re awesome
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:08 pm

Narrowminded wrote:Glad you got your walk in. Even in my most fit days, I could not crack 15 min/mi walking. You’re awesome

Thanks, NM. Years and years of practice and miles and miles of walking/hiking. It is my favorite activity.

Thanks, GS. The vertigo has only happened while I'm lying in bed, rolling from one side to another. And happily, it has not happened again since the 2 episodes last week. Maybe I'm done...

Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:23 pm

You know the old parable/children's story about the grasshopper and the ant? We were grasshoppers this weekend when we likely should have been ants, working away instead of playing, but oh, it felt good. And as this week and next will be intense workwise, I am not actually regretting a moment of the play aside from feeling a bit bad that I drove away from home this morning in a storm, leaving T to quick try and put away a bunch of stuff that we left out from a project.

Saturday was a lovely, lazy day of relaxing, cooking, an excellent hike, and a yummy dinner. We did our favorite local hike through the forest from home. The wind was nasty with gusts that blew us about, but once we were in deeper forest, it lessoned and we got fairly close to a couple of large herds of elk. I think with the wind, they were less aware of us.

Sunday we did a morning workout, I added 30 second core and push-up intervals, then took the fat boy for a walk. He was very lazy on Saturday as he hates the wind too. We decided to spend a few hours doing the things we most needed to, then headed to town. First we went to the bouldering gym for about 90 minutes. It was fun although I was more cautious than I would have typically been knowing that a fall and bad landing on my knee would be nasty. Still, I worked on some challenging routes with T, giving one another suggestions on what to try. From there we went to our gym with the plan of walking on the treadmill in order to watch the Olympics. I was disappointed to find my viewing options were curling or ice skating. I was hoping for skiing, but the weather in Korea meant those were rescheduled. Given that it was evening, I did not push as doing so would disrupt sleep, so I did a steady 4.4 miles at 15 min/mile pace and low incline.

Got home a bit late, so slept in a little this morning, no workout. Wind is driving the mix of snow/rain so I'm not sure there will be much of a midday walk. Guess I'll see how much I need a break later...
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:04 pm

Sounds like a great weekend.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:43 pm

Caught a blurb on NPR recently about leafy greens being protective against dementia, so during a break from digging into filing for reimbursements (and screwing one up - crud!) I went looking to read a bit more.  This is surely a case of me digging for and believing in the results because it validates something I believe in/already do. It was a prospective study (good), but did rely upon food frequency questionnaires (iffy).

https://www.healio.com/psychiatry/alzheimers-disease-dementia/news/online/%7Bdcb14dd2-23fa-47a7-bd8c-7b8f641dc346%7D/eating-leafy-greens-may-slow-cognitive-decline

My workday 'last meal' of the day (eaten at 3 or 4 pm) consists of a 4 cup bowl filled with raw veggies. There is a nice layer of greens (usually spinach) at the bottom, but the rest is other raw stuff: jicama, radishes, broccoli, cauliflower, cucumbers, zucchini, carrot, tomato, red cabbage and other odd bits depending on what looks good when I'm shopping.  In a separate container I have topping - sour cream, green salsa, guac, and a serving of meat.  So, I'm considering whether I should try to boost the greens content. I like greens, but I like the other stuff a lot more.  Wonder if it matters? In a link within that article, another study says those who eat more fruit and veggies have less stress, and that link isn't so insistent on greens.

I freely admit that if I read something that said these veggies were bad for me, I would almost certainly discount it, so why do I even wonder?  

First PT appointment in the morning. Given that I've been very, very inactive today and worked it hard yesterday, my knee is very grumpy.  Hoping Dan has some good recommendations for me. I would like to get past this injury quickly!
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:53 pm

Hoping you get good news on knee.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:58 pm

That sounds like an amazing vegetable-based meal, and my instinct is that the variety is probably even more beneficial for you than eating extra greens would be.

As for me, I wouldn't want to eat that much raw food, especially the brassicas...
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:51 am

I know this sounds really weird, but have you ever used a little funnel device to pee standing up? I have one - it changed my life! I can pee anywhere now Smile. Sorry to be gross, but it is very freeing to not have to squat or use questionable toilets. I image an experienced outdoors woman like yourself has come across these. It has really come in handy recently, as we have been walking and paddling into places where there are no toilets and little privacy.
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Greensprout on Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:24 pm

The Walrus wrote:I know this sounds really weird, but have you ever used a little funnel device to pee standing up?  I have one - it changed my life!  I can pee anywhere now Smile. Sorry to be gross, but it is very freeing to not have to squat or use questionable toilets.  I image an experienced outdoors woman like yourself has come across these.  It has really come in handy recently, as we have been walking and paddling into places where there are no toilets and little privacy.  

They actually exist in the military, for women in the field, particularly on deployment “outside the wire”. Is called a “she wee”, LOL.
Greensprout

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next