Still on the move... Meant2Move's journal

Page 8 of 28 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 18 ... 28  Next

Go down

Re: Still on the move... Meant2Move's journal

Post by Meant2Move on Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:17 pm

Gotta luv the irony of this - that presentation I was fretting about (went well by the way) was about cybersecurity, with the premise that security begins with the user. Later, I'm trying to login to my work account and found that I'm logged out. Seems my account was compromised so IT locked my account for security purposes. I'm back in now and all is well so far but...

Morning power walk was fun. Had 5 people and an employee join me. We stopped at a couple of obstacles, did some cartwheels, played on the embedded rocks for balance practice, and made it back to the hotel in a reasonable amount of time. No one was limping but me... may have done a bit too much jumping as my knee has been pretty achy all day.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:53 pm

M2M that’s classic with your account just when you are teaching the same. Nice thing is it’s a great example of it can happen to anyone.

Do ice that knee. Don’t want you making things worse
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:50 am

Ahh, nice going on the group power-walk. Is this part of the employee work schedule? Cause that's so healthy and cool if it is.
Hope your knee calms down and the pain goes away, soon.
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:37 am

Haha....so true about the irony of the computer situation! I think life tosses those little lessons to us to keep us humble.

I hope you knee feels better. Hey, at least you can do a cartwheel. I've never been able to master that skill.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:27 am

Heuristicfireflower wrote:Ahh, nice going on the group power-walk.  Is this part of the employee work schedule? Cause that's so healthy and cool if it is.
Hope your knee calms down and the pain goes away, soon.

Nope, I can't make walking a requirement, although a good number of my people are somewhat active.  This is just the conference powerwalk.

All in all Thursday ended up being an excellent day for steps. In addition to the walk, I move around a good bit at the conference, we played dodgeball after the sessions ended (soft foam balls so no one gets hurt) - it has become a tradition - I was a hit in the unicorn costume... 2 of us were targets for the nerf shootout. Then walked down the stip with 2 other employees to find dinner and relax. Had some yummy seafood and a nice visit with 2 people I really like and don't see often because they both work from their homes. Cleared 20,000 steps for the day.

Good walk this morning, smaller group. We went off-road for some variety and so that I wasn't tempted to jump around too much. Now to wrap up the conference and go home.  I'm calling it a success although we'll see how we really did when reading the evaluations.  I can usually tell by the mood of folks and this year it feels good.

Last edited by Meant2Move on Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:32 am

Glad you are enjoying the conference, getting your exercise and will soon be reading how much the attendees enjoyed it too!

You are the bomb!
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:41 pm

20,000 steps a day while attending conference. That's incredible!
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:28 pm

Annieh wrote:20,000 steps a day while attending conference.  That's incredible!

Agreed!
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:59 pm

Definitely Hughes steps for a conference. Love your style with the walks and dodgeball. That’s the kind of conference I’d like
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnTiger on Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:08 am

Sounds like the conference was a hit!

It just goes to show that if you build it in then you can accomplish exercise anywhere. Having other people around also helps. When I used to do my six weeks stints overseas I am sure I was a lot more active than I would have been when at home. For a start we used to have to go out for food in the evenings rather than my going home and sitting on the sofa all evening. Also, as a trainer, I spent a lot of time on my feet. Wish I would have had a Fitbit then!
And given the amount of food we used to eat, i.e. full meals three times per day, and the beer consumption, the fact that I didn't really gain weight proves that I must have been reasonably active.

Sorry - hijack!

Great work. I think there will be some good reading, and smiles, in those evaluations.
AutumnTiger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:44 am

I am glad the conference went well, altought there was never any doubt in my mind. I need to work at being more active when I am at conferences. There is too much sitting!
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:20 pm

Pedidoc wrote:I am glad the conference went well, altought there was never any doubt in my mind.  I need to work at being more active when I am at conferences.  There is too much sitting!

Conferences are tough! When not my own, I really work to remind myself to move, and always get in a walk before and hopefully after the sessions. The one positive is that the days are generally a bit shorter than a work day and if I'm away from home, there is more time to fit in some activity since I don't have to deal with my usual 2 hours of commute... except traveling to and from.

Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:29 pm

Good weekend - got back to town in good time on Friday, dropped the company vehicle off and walked back to the office, thus sneaking in another 1.5 miles for the day. Shopping, then home. I had forgotten I ordered a pair of boots using some credits from JC Penneys so popped by the store to pick them up - nice boots for about $8 out of pocket.

Saturday we started the day with a hike which I enjoyed very much. Then I settled into serious put stuff away and clean mode, and some cooking (pulled pork). Between the ski trip and then conference life has been in piles for much too long and the dirt was accumulating under and all around. Just nasty! We were back to habitable by end of day.

Another hike Sunday morning - hating this drought and the harm it will do, but how nice to be hiking without being bundled up in February... Project day - took a door off the hinges and refinished it, dealt with the water I hauled Friday night, caught up my journal so we can start a new white board, and put more stuff away from the great "plant a pole" project from a couple of weeks back. We still need to finish that up by actually attaching the new pole to the monkey bars and putting the bars we had to remove back in place.

Couldn't do many of the moves in our usual DVD workout (knee is pretty grumpy in certain circumstances) so mostly did some powerwalking, pushups and pull-ups. I need to do some research into rehab for a grumpy MCL.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:51 pm

Sounds like a nice productive weekend for you. Awesome. They always feel great. MCL is probably going to take lots of rest.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:10 pm

Narrowminded wrote:Sounds like a nice productive weekend for you. Awesome. They always feel great. MCL is probably going to take lots of rest.

You are likely correct, but oh, how I hate that idea. Really hard for me to "rest"... Denial says I'll just focus on doing things that don't hurt.

Took care of banking and security concerns that resulted from my phishing stupidity. Just a couple of things left to do. Don't click that link!!!!!

Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:28 am

You got an admirable amount done despite the grumpy knee. Having it interfere with activities, I know, is quite annoying. I hope it heals soon, for you, while you remain active.
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:54 pm

Thanks, HFF.

Watched some youtube videos on taping for MCL injury and trying out a scheme today. No workout this morning as spouse had something else going and I needed to be at work early. Will slip in a walk later - walking on level ground doesn't bother my knee.

Added junk to my day on Monday - good food and plenty of it, but supplemented with crap. Planning to do better today by not going to any grocery store and buying stuff.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pebbles67 on Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:45 pm

I picture the conference walk as a group of people following you around like "Forrest Gump" on his run.
Pebbles67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:20 pm

Pebbles67 wrote:I picture the conference walk as a group of people following you around like "Forrest Gump" on his run.

Laughing Yep, something like that. One participate thanked me for "yanking" her out of her comfort zone. The youngest, fittest participant wouldn't try any of the obstacles... she did not come back the second day.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:40 pm

Nice midday walk as I met spouse at the credit union to take care of a couple of things, then I got in a nice walk around campus to return to the office. Just cleared 3 miles.

T hiked Mt Elden - total envy!

Weight is still a tad high compared to before we left for Utah. I swear I'm carrying an extra pound of water in my right leg. Not fretting about a couple of pounds, but don't like the swelling. My taping scheme seems pretty good actually as far as support, but if I sit or stand too long without moving, the first few steps are very painful. Current thinking is I'll give it until next week (2 weeks since the injury), then consider what PT options I have. We've an outstanding DPT program on campus so I could go there, or just make an appointment to see my usual guy - if I'm doing that I should call tomorrow to see if I can get in next week.

Travel plans made for Phoenix later this week and Yuma week after next. Unless something changes, it will be nasty hot in both places - crazy for Feb, but that is our reality this year.

Didn't sleep very well last night and I'm dragging a bit.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:34 am

I like your idea of making an appointment now you may not need in the future. Your injury sounds serious to me.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:22 am

M2M, yes definitely make an appointment. I would think the DPT program would love to have someone for their students to work with. Based upon my DD experience in the DPT program you would be well card for as it would be well supervised. Whatever you decide, do make that appt.

Have fun in the heat, I would sure enjoy some about now
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:06 am

Make the appointment and keep it even if you feel better. They can check and make sure that it is completely healed.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:55 pm

Thanks for the votes for PT - I stopped by Dan's office this morning and have 2 appointments scheduled for next week. He'll assess on Tuesday and on Thursday we'll do something based on Tuesday.

Had a weird experience this morning. I rolled over from my left side to my right side, eyes closed and had a wave of vertigo - serious bed spins such as I haven't had since the one time I got massively drunk in college. Then a short time later when I sat up, a nasty nose bleed. I get little nose bleeds all the time given our super dry and often cold air, but they stop right away. This one was a bit of a gusher and did not stop for some time. Very weird. The only thing that is different is that I've been taking a little more Vitamin C as the doc at Urgent Ortho suggested. I'm not aware that extra bleeding or vertigo is a side affect and I'm not taking that much. Hoping it's a one-off and not going to fret about it.

Short "stepping" workout with upper body weights. I just modify any movement that bugs my knee. Basic walking/stepping doesn't. It's a beautiful day and I'll get out for a walk a little later.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:59 pm

Hmm interesting, I hope Kathi pops in and gives her analysis. Maybe change in altitude after vacation?
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 28 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 18 ... 28  Next