Still on the move... Meant2Move's journal

Page 6 of 31 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 18 ... 31  Next

Go down

Re: Still on the move... Meant2Move's journal

Post by Narrowminded on Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:17 pm

M2M. I so get mothers and type 2. My mom also adores ice cream and sweets. Oh and bread, she will never ever give that up. She lived with me for a month this summer while dad was in and out of the hospital having his thyroid removed. During that time, she was stuck with gluten free bread, which she claimed to like ok. I made her up her fat and protein to balance out her love of carbs. While here she had to reduce her insulin, as her sugars were going too low. And when she went back to the ends her A1c was down. However, even faced with the evidence in her own body, it wasn’t enough. Good luck to you as you navigate this with you MIL

Sending peace and calm vibes as you navigate the work issues as well
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:42 pm

Thank you, NM!

T was on the phone with him mom last night as I was working through the usual massive pile of post-weekend cooking dishes. I could just about hear his eyes rolling as they talked about what she'd been eating, balancing fats and proteins with carbs ("Give me a list of what kind of food is what"), why it isn't OK to just eat straight carbs, why everything shouldn't have sugar on it...

And T himself is fretting because historically he has taken our week-long visits to her home as an eating free for all. Regular meals, snacks, dessert, and soft drinks. I'm hoping it will be better for all of us to have some restrictions. He is carrying around an extra 20 lbs and it is centered on his middle. I'm not fussed about the weight so much as I know that belly fat is unhealthy fat and I'd much prefer he not have a heart attack or develop metabolic syndrome.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:07 pm

Another hard labor weekend in which I moved 600 lbs on concrete here and there and did deep squats and steps up with the 50 or 60 lbs bags in arms... and then carried them one last time to the wheelbarrow where we mixed them and dumped them in the big hole. Of course before the final concrete work there was the work of finishing off that hole - by the time the thing was the needed 48 inches deep the post-hole digger was below the top of the hole so every attempted scoop was a deep plie squat, then there was tamping - upper body workout that. We did a test dump of a railroad tie into the hole and getting it back out was a serious challenge. I was able to squat it a few inches but there was no getting it out of the hole without a pulley and ropes.

Anyway, the monster post is in the ground and ready to support the monkey bars, we just need to add an attachment and put a few of the bars back on that we had to remove temporarily. Next up, we will add another post (railroad tie) about 4 feet away from the first and add more apparatus - not exactly sure what, we've a number of ideas.

After 2 days of hard labor, we took the holiday to go for a hike, climbing Mt Elden. Record slow time but I didn't have it in me to go any faster. 2400 feet of elevation gain in 2.8 miles, so a little under 6 miles round trip.

Today is a climbing gym date, so I'll walk over and back.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pebbles67 on Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:42 pm

Ha! I love how you made a workout out of building something for a workout.
Pebbles67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:36 pm

Hi Pebbles! Thanks for stopping by.

Good day at the climbing gym. Chaos hit work with his magic wand and things were going crazy, but I just walked away to meet T because if I didn't I was likely to burst into tears and that never helps anything. Students are back on campus so it was a crowded feeling walk as everyone hustled about on this first day of classes.

Next week while we are in Utah, we'll likely go to the rock gym there on a non-skiing day and that gym requires the use of a particular belay device. We own one, but almost never use it so we set today as the day to get comfortable with it. Happily, the gym was not busy so we could ask the manager for some tips, and he had some great ones. Even we old climbing dogs are capable of learning new things. We did some top-roping first to warm up and get comfortable with the device, then we moved to the lead wall. We took turns on an easy route as lead belaying is a good bit different with the device. T had me take a leader fall which was scary - not because I had any fear that he wouldn't catch me, but because I HATE falling and go out of my way not to do so. I screamed involuntarily which caused Jason to come running and scared the 2 people who were just learning to climb. Sheesh! It (involuntary scream) happened again the second time T told me to fall. I just can't seem to help it. On a happy note, I successfully climbed a new route - well, not totally successful as I took a couple of off-route steps, but no falls. My endurance has really improved a lot.

Day was turning gray, but still had a nice (far fewer people) back around campus afterwards for a total of about 3 miles.

More chaos as I walked in the door. Today, I mostly wore the hat of staff counselor, tomorrow it needs to be budget meister and maybe ringmaster.

Finally, a super yummy jicama after a couple of bad ones in a row! My favorite snack: thinly sliced radishes and jicama chunks.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Greensprout on Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:18 pm

M2M, you continue to impress with your physical pursuits. I admit that I’m envious, given my current issues. Fabulous that T has your back when you falter.

When in Mexico on holiday in Nov, at a tequila tasting, they had jicama as a tasting side, rubbed with fresh lime and a sprinkle of salt and chili powder. Amazing. I had some tonight, julienned. So tasty.
Greensprout

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:42 am

M2M....sorry tears are so close to the brim. Seems as if each new year/year end stuff creeps in and causes staff problems for you.

Glad you got out and about for some exercise and new training. Helps to put the mind to something totally different than worrying about work and staff.

Good luck with MIL next week.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:07 am

I've never tried Jicama. I've seen it often but didn't really know what to do with it. I might have to give it a try.

Work....what can I say? Sometimes it's so stressful. I totally understand the nearly coming to tears part. I had a home daycare for 12 years. And, near the end, the last few years, I found myself near to tears often. I'm telling you, the difference in the behaviour of children in just the twelve years I was in the business is astounding. There were days that with caring for 5 children I just wanted to scream as one is pretty much powerless these days with real, effective discipline. The day I quit was the best career day of my life.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:08 pm

I would not even be able to do the fall, let alone without screaming! Go you.
Have a safe trip.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:36 pm

M2M i get the tears and work. I’ve had that a lot lately.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:09 pm

Thank you, ladies. I really appreciate your support. Mostly I roll pretty well with what comes my way at work, but when disaster strikes such that I might have to RIF someone, that hits really hard. I think we've averted it for the moment - at least we have a little breathing room to try and find some alternative solutions that don't involve laying anyone off.

Got out for a brief walk today, was cooler than I thought - had to walk fast! Now I'm off to do a scary monster pile of laundry. I'll be lucky to be home by 11 which is well past my bedtime. Given that steps are hanging at about 7500 for the day, there may be dancing at the back of the laundromat as I fold clothes!
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:21 am

So sorry to read about the stress at work. I can only recall my 3 week stint, stress the entire time. DIdn't end when I got home because I'd have to face it the very next day. Good to have that outlet to vent the pressure off and you have some greet ones. Hope the worst has passed for you.
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:02 pm

M2M. Seems we are in comparable places. No one likes to lay anyone off, but sometimes the need arises. I’m still in contemplation mode on that.

I hope you were able to get home earlier than expected and finished up those steps in the process.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:14 pm

Ultimately whether we lay-off will depend upon client base. We are a non-profit supported by services we provide. If clients don't see the value in the services, then we have to adjust or fail. Hopefully we can adjust/offer wanted services, otherwise I'll be shutting down one of 3 departments.

On a positive note, on the day I walked away rather than cry, I used some meditation tricks and positive self-talk to get myself out of that defeatist mode and into a 'let's try and fix this' mode. I'm hanging there and we've some ideas.

I was at the laundromat forever! It doesn't seem like it has been that long since I last went, but the piles were enormous. There was enough dancing to clear 10k, but not much else, and it was after 11 before I got home. This morning as T was unloading my truck for me he commented on the number and fullness of the bags.

Anyway, gave myself "permission" to sleep later this morning, but still woke shortly after 5. Thursday is always a low energy day for me anyway, so I expect to be dragging. Hoping a few little short walks around the building (lovely sunshine outside today) will keep me going strong.

We're deciding which day to travel. A storm is coming in (good news for our ski plans) and we're trying to judge which day will be least impacted as we drive 10 hours north. If the roads are bad that drive can extend by hours which is just unbearable for both of us and bad for the cat.

Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:20 pm

Ontario wrote:I've never tried Jicama. I've seen it often but didn't really know what to do with it. I might have to give it a try.

A tasty jicama is a splendid thing. Greensprout's suggestion is excellent (I do the same with zucchini spears), but I mostly cut it into bite size pieces and eat it raw in my daily veggie pile. If I'm having something other than veggies, then I usually prepare a small container of jicama and radish slices to eat alongside my entree (leftovers from the weekend).

I've added it to stir-fry and soups, but don't find it really adds much, the flavor is so mild.

At least here (smallish town of about 70,000 people), I find the best ones are those that have been waxed. It really helps to keep the moisture in. A dry jicama is not good.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:07 pm

Those little short walks didn't happen, it was 3:00 pm and I realized I had scarcely moved. Not good. Took myself out for a quick 2 miles on campus, then came back and tackled a big but reasonable project, now crossed off my list. Productive day overall.

Trying to ensure I'm organized with what I need to take with me to work from MIL's next week. Mostly I'll try to be on vacation, but realistically, I'll work a couple of hours most days, and I need to prepare my remarks for the opening general session at our conference which is week after next.

Anyway, it will be another low movement day, and again on Saturday as we drive 10 hours north... I am not at my best without some serious exercise on a regular basis and I can feel some tension building up as a result. Sunday... I can make it 'til Sunday! Pretty sure we will ski and I can throw myself with abandon down the ski slope doing lunges (telemark ski turns) at high speed.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:49 pm

Yea, it is a problem when one cannot get in some movement, especially you!

Have a good trip. Perhaps break it up with some hike in the middle at a place you have not been before. You will be getting in late to do anything anyway...why not later? Just a thought.

Hope MIL is doing better than you think.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:31 pm

Good luck finding opportunities to exercise. I’m sure you’ll figure it out, and heck laps around her living room works in a pinch. Boring, can be, or play a game on your phone. Works for me
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:25 pm

Quick squats and car push ups when you stop for gas?
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:36 am

I'm learning to not feel bad about the low energy days. I can usually trace it back to short sleep or an over-carbed start to the day. Bet you'll have lots of fun kicking snow aside on skis.
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:07 am

Popping in to say hey... doing OK here in the land of not dessert - we've been the food police instead. There have been several vehement denials about being diabetic and realistically she is more likely pre-diabetic, but if she keeps eating as she has for the past couple of years, it won't be long. So we've talked a lot about carbs and what carbs are and if eating them then she needs to add fat and protein, and on and on and on. She just wants her crackers, bread, and candy.

But we are managing and we're eating well, lots of veggies, eggs, and some meat.

The drive here was awful - nasty snowy roads, it took forever! Sunday we didn't do much but visit and putter, but we got in 2 excellent days of skiing Monday and Tuesday. Telemark skills came back decently and I've made some small improvements. For me, the main reason I ski telemark is because I love constantly working on the skills.

We took today off to work on stuff for MIL. Got in our "mansion walk" - the steepest residential streets in town, it's a 3.3 mile loop with serious elevation gain. Then I walked to the grocery store before taking on a massive cleaning project. Good day overall.

Going to the rock gym tomorrow I think, should be fun.

Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:15 am

Good for you visiting with mom and trying to influence her eating habits.

Sketchy drives in the snow are awful. Sorry that was the case.

Glad you have gotten some exercise and to do some things that you normally do not....but hey, you are our "exercise" guru!
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:20 pm

Sounds like things are going a bit better than expected. Happy to hear you’ve gotten in some good exercise.

I wish you well with DMIL and her eating habits.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:12 pm

Our week is winding down. MIL says she feels better - less sleepy, more energy for having been eating well. Today she saw the impact of skipping her daily exercise when her morning blood sugar was higher. She also ate poorly yesterday, but we are trying to focus on getting her to exercise daily as we see a big difference in her mental abilities when she does.

We've tried to show MIL that is isn't hard to eat well - simple tasty meals based on veggies and meat, but I don't think she will maintain it when we go. She has a freezer full of frozen dinners, and boxes of cereal.

An interesting bit of doing a lot of blood glucose testing (helping her learn to do it herself) is that I've learned that I'm doing well with morning fasted readings in the 80's and 90's and 2 hour postprandial readings in the 120's. I worry sometimes that I've done myself harm with the odd serious sugar binge (i.e. entire bag of jellybeans). I rarely do that, but still, a body can likely only take so many of those, right?

We went to the local climbing gym on Thursday (rain and snow). We mostly top roped as the lead climbs were more difficult than we were comfortable with. I tried a seriously overhanging route, but backed off - I hate falling! I'd be a better climber if I could get over that, but I likely won't. This gym has autobelay devices so I could have practiced falling safely without abusing my spouse... Anyway, we had a great time, did a lot of challenging topropes.

Friday we skied on fresh snow, conditions were quite good. I was really working my telemark turns and skiing aggressively in some deeper snow when I took a hard fall. Not sure if I actually heard it or just felt the cartilage grinding in my knee, but I did some harm. I skied a few more runs without much pain, but after sitting in the car to drive home, the knee was bad. It was really painful overnight - hurt to touch, hurt to bend, hurt to move. Crud!!!! At least it was our last day skiing.

At home we have a composting toilet because hauling water just to flush would be stupid. Anyway, it means there isn't any temperamental plumbing in my house. Not the case in this older home... I am not a fan!
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:18 pm

Sorted a closet with MIL and came up with a huge pile of stuff to get rid of - some garbage, some to donate. Baby steps are still a movement forward!

We (hubs and I) took what we call "the mansion walk" - good elevation gain through a residential area to the highest point on the bench. Going down bugged my knee a bit. He is working some painful bits as well, so we needed relatively gentle movement.

Good dinner of salad, steamed butternut squash and cod

We'll pack up in the morning and drive home - should be good roads so about 9 hours if all goes well.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 31 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 18 ... 31  Next