Primal Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Low carb and hangovers.

+9
Lovebird
sharperhawk
ONTARIO
Paysan
Neck2
OnTheBayou
Rig D
Narrowminded
srinath_69
13 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Low carb and hangovers. - Page 2 Empty Re: Low carb and hangovers.

Post by srinath_69 Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:08 pm

@Sharperhawk: More like I'm counting the windows, doors and tables as I run through a building. I will decide if I am jumping or not @ the top. Heck I am not even sure if I am going down, up or sideways.

@Paysan: I can tell a Hangover from not having one. And it was just an incidental observation, not the core of this experiment.

srinath_69

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:03 pm

Heck I am not even sure if I am going down, up or sideways.
Rumor has it that too much booze does that to a person.
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Post by srinath_69 Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:37 am

Rig D wrote:
Heck I am not even sure if I am going down, up or sideways.
Rumor has it that too much booze does that to a person.

Rumor has it that Bru Willi and Demi Moore have a daughter called Rumor.

Too much booze in the context of calorie excess or carb excess does "it" to a person.
In the context of no carbs and calorie deficit, it doesn't do squat even if you are maintaining weight. This is pending lab results. That is the metaphoric "unknown-way" in case you didn't get it.

I also have one other theory I have inadvertently disproved.
You get drunk faster on low carb. That is true.
You get a worse hangover if you drink on low carb .... mmmmmmm Not so fast, I seem to be getting no hangover.
Seriously I see no down side so far. Lab results will tell for sure I hope. I will publish it here.

I am not going to be drinking this much in any long term sense, but that's more due to the fact that I don't drink much in winter. Summer when toiling in the sun @ home is my association with drinking and I'd like to keep it that way.

srinath_69

Back to top Go down

Post by srinath_69 Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:50 am

This reminds me of something off and on.
Gen Montgomery: I don't drink and I don't smoke and I'm 100% healthy.
Winston Churchill: I drink and I smoke and I'm 200% healthy.

Gen Montgomery - Lives to the ripe old age of 89.
Churchill - Dies prematurely 10 yrs prior, @ 91.

srinath_69

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:45 pm

Low carb and hangovers. - Page 2 Lead1

Back to top Go down

Post by Paysan Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:07 pm

In a word -EPIgenetics. Your (drinking) environment may have more effect on your lifespan than blood sugar levels. Have a good winter, Srinath.

Paysan

Back to top Go down

Post by srinath_69 Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:23 pm

Lets see, I've kicked diabetes so far, and I really will be pretty happy with 20 more. A 4-6 drink a day with low carb calorie balance isn't going to get in the way of that (blood work pending) IMHO.
Epigenetics are genes that are turned on or off due to food and other environmental factors. The blood work will be the first indication, I'll take it from there.

srinath_69

Back to top Go down

Post by Paysan Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:54 pm

Be sure to let us know whether your experiment lived up to your expectations, Srinath. (That's a humdinger of an excuse to drink so much - I was keeping my blood sugar low in order to imbibe! Don't forget to check your magnesium and other electrolytes levels in that all-important blood test. ) Wink

Paysan

Back to top Go down

Post by marcadav Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:12 pm

Srinath, are you including liver function tests in your blood work?

marcadav

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightly Orange Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:54 pm

Great stuff, srinath, keep it coming. I think your next experiment should be cigarettes. Build up to a 2-packs-a-day habit while fasting, and let us know how it goes.
Nightly Orange
Nightly Orange

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocky07 Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:29 am

Nightly Orange wrote:Great stuff, srinath, keep it coming. I think your next experiment should be cigarettes. Build up to a 2-packs-a-day habit while fasting, and let us know how it goes.

LOL! I’m guessing you could smoke at least 5 packs per day without ill effects as long as you keep your insulin levels low.

Rocky07

Back to top Go down

Post by srinath_69 Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:40 am

Rocky07 wrote:
Nightly Orange wrote:Great stuff, srinath, keep it coming. I think your next experiment should be cigarettes. Build up to a 2-packs-a-day habit while fasting, and let us know how it goes.

LOL! I’m guessing you could smoke at least 5 packs per day without ill effects as long as you keep your insulin levels low.

I smoke 12 packs a day. It is what makes the insulin low.
You forgot to say south India and throw in some other reference from my past. Next time OK.

srinath_69

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:43 am

srinath_69 wrote:
Rocky07 wrote:

You forgot to say south India and throw in some other reference from my past. Next time OK.

Let's not start this again... they made a joke. This is not MDA, remember?

Back to top Go down

Post by srinath_69 Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:52 am

Lovebird wrote:
srinath_69 wrote:
Rocky07 wrote:

Let's not start this again... they made a joke. This is not MDA, remember?

And you decided that I didn't ???

srinath_69

Back to top Go down

Post by srinath_69 Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:06 am

Paysan wrote:In a word -EPIgenetics. Your (drinking) environment may have more effect on your lifespan than blood sugar levels. Have a good winter, Srinath.

Getting back to the tpoic and this post - Does the epigenetics have a chance to react without surplus insulin ?
I have looked at the entire wheel of related diseases including lots of cancers and PCOS etc etc etc that all need insulin to become a problem.
I actually even believe the term "metabolic rate" is another word for insulin sensitivity. People marvel @ "where I put all the food" and they say lovely things like "man you must have the metabolism of a hummingbird, can you fly".
I barely hit the gym and barely do sprints on weekends when I find the nerve to fight the cold. These people have only seen the skinny me, my previous job saw the fat me turn into the skinny me over 3 months.
I can eat 3-4000 cal in 1 sitting, cos I only sit to eat that once in 24 if not 48 or sometimes 72 hrs. And I eat all of it in real protein and fat only.
My body loses a lot of that calorie load as well as everything else I eat, cos it has no surplus insulin to save up any of that excess. What makes sense is, even the alcohol is gone due to the lack of insulin.

I am starting to think of the human body as a multi color brick wall. The red bricks are muscle/protein, black is cancer, white is fat and several other colors for several features/diseases.
The cement mortar in the wall is insulin.
You eat protein you create the mortar for the red (because your body is smart enough to know its gonna need muscle over fat - and if you fast for long periods of time the HGH sets the anabolic order as Bone, organs, skin then muscle which is still a good way to distribute it). You eat carbs or funky protein (soy isolate etc), and the rest of the wall gets built. Else it all goes in the toilet in 3-6 hrs.
I'm pretty sure depositing a lb or 2 of fat in your belly or growing arterial plaque or whatever else is pretty low on the list of priorities but the problem is - most people are swimming in a world of excess insulin that it always ends up in surplus.

Last edited by srinath_69 on Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:42 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Adding a small clarification.)

srinath_69

Back to top Go down

Post by srinath_69 Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:51 am

I have it on pretty good authority - (a low carb drinker who's also a chiropractor) we are getting hangovers with the heavier drinking days, just without the headache. It takes ~6-8 a night or 15+ in a 12 hr day to make it bad the next morning though.

The whole lethargy and inability to get going etc etc is there. It feels like I had a headache that's been kept down by aspirin.

srinath_69

Back to top Go down

Post by Paysan Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:37 am

So are you telling us that you drank past your ability to detoxify, or you summoned forth an unexpected insulin response? Or did your theories spring a leak?

Paysan

Back to top Go down

Post by srinath_69 Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:57 am

Paysan wrote:So are you telling us that you drank past your ability to detoxify, or you summoned forth an unexpected insulin response? Or did your theories spring a leak?

I am saying no carbs = no insulin = no inflammation = no headache. Past that - no idea. This has been an experiment pestering my friend to do low carb and switch to hard liquor. He was Low ish carb and IF and drinking beer. He has said that he likes the lack of headache the next day, but he still thinks hard liquor isn't for the fun loving.

TBH, I cant even find proper research on how your body gets calories from alcohol. What I know is - alcohol gets to your blood stream, 10-15% gets breathed and sweated out and the 85% in your blood stream gets to the liver, where its converted to aldehyde and immediately to acetic acid - AKA vinegar. So alcohol = vinegar which has no calories.

No clue, just that 1 aspect is proved out by 3 people now - my brother, me and my friend. Headache is a type of inflammation and super low carbs can keep it at bay.

Last edited by srinath_69 on Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Deleted something I shouldn't have)

srinath_69

Back to top Go down

Post by srinath_69 Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:16 am

This is the most common sense as well as completely wrong in some ways explanation I have found.

From - http://www.findpulse.com/triglycerides-and-alcohol/

Your Liver, Triglycerides and Alcohol

Normally, your liver prefers to breakdown and process fatty acids. The liver takes the fatty acids and breaks them down into triglycerides to be used as energy by the body. Any excess it stores as body fat. But when alcohol reaches the liver, the liver has to stop working on the fatty acids/triglycerides and pay immediate attention to the alcohol.

That part above makes sense.

Because the alcohol stops the breakdown of the fatty acids/triglycerides, the excess spills over into the blood stream, increasing the blood triglyceride level. And, with time, the accumulation of fat in the liver can cause a condition called ‘fatty liver’. Be warned, though, that even one night of heavy drinking can cause observable fat in the liver.

Mmmmm OK where is excess Fats/Trig's coming from ???? Your monster fat and carb meal ??? In my case that happens - like - once a month during the holidays maybe.

So, alcohol raises your triglyceride level in two ways:
The sugar in alcohol converts to triglycerides
Alcohol cause the liver to produce more triglycerides

Yea nice leap of faith. Sugar in alcohol ??? when did that happen ??? and alcohol makes the liver produce more Trigs - like out of thin air ??? wont that mean I am a energy creator - violating Newtons laws of energy ???

I can say that just plain drinking without eating seems to slightly slow my weight loss rate. So for the time I am processing alcohol, I am not burning fat as well as the fact that I drink lots of water to keep myself from dehydrating. Those 2 have some effect I'm thinking.

srinath_69

Back to top Go down

Post by sharperhawk Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:47 am

sharperhawk
sharperhawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Paysan Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:53 pm

Wow! Now that's a detailed explanation, Sharperhawk, and 98% of it went completely over my head. But if there's one point my befuddled mind could grasp, it's that fatty acids can be formed from ethanol breakdown, and when there's too many fatty acids, they inhibit the detoxifying agents, allowing the fat to build up and scar the liver. No sugar needed, but any glucose also adds to the overall toxicity, vitamin depletion, and fibrosis.
Srinath, how did you enjoy his playing with pretty coloured inks? Anything there that MIGHT give you pause?

Paysan

Back to top Go down

Post by srinath_69 Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:35 pm

That is a synopsis of one by Chris Masterjohn if I recall. Atleast it was 11 mins instead of 45+.
Its all wonderful without any numbers or calories or anything quantifiable attached.

Alcohol turns into aldehyde which is toxic and it quickly turns to acetic acid. That part is indisputable. He says that as well, alcohol dehydrogenase and aldehyde dehydrogenase (he doesn't mention that part). From there where does it turn into what and what are the efficiencies and the calories involved ?

Here is my fundamental question - We already know c6 (sugar) turns into C30 (triglycerides) @ about 70% efficiency when there is an excess of calories form C6 present.
What happens to C2 (alcohol) when there is nothing but C2 present when there is an excess in terms of calories ?

I understand all that Cytocrome and ROS is bad etc cos its essentially a free radical, but he again says excessive alcohol consumption - what is excess ??? 1 drink per hour ? What is that is all what you eat/drink (other than water).

Seriously, I've found no one explaining this without resorting to "added calories from carbs and fat" That IMHO is what causes the theory to stand up instead of falling on its face.

srinath_69

Back to top Go down

Post by Paysan Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:10 pm

<sigh> I'm still stuck at the fact that you can make fatty acids from ethanol. I presume excess alcohol is any amount that contributes to inflammation. In my case, that would be anything above a sip or sniff. <sigh>

Paysan

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:33 am

srinath_69 wrote:That is a synopsis of one by Chris Masterjohn if I recall.

Armando Hasudungan. http://armandoh.org/subjects/ Thanks for sharing, Sharperhawk!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next