How to move stuff from MDA

Go down

How to move stuff from MDA

Post by Rig D on Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:59 am

12/26/2017  I've rewritten this first post to consolidate the information in this thread. Hopefully I've captured the essence.

So far it appears that all stuff posted in the MDA Forum is still there. You will need to perform copy and paste operations from MDA to a text editing program and save it on your PC.

If you don't have the link for your journal (or other topic you have started,) you can find it using the MDA advanced search:  
http://forum.marksdailyapple.com/advanced_search

On the search page, enter your MDA user name and click started posts only, then “Search Now”as shown on this part of the MDA advanced search page:

If you can still log into MDA Forum (see below) you can use this idea on changing your posts per page to 40 which will significantly reduce the number of copy and paste operations.
Sharperhawk wrote:If you're going to copy and paste from MDA, it may be easier if your setting is to view 40 posts per page. Go to your profile, click "Edit Settings," then click the "Account" tab. Scroll down until you see the setting for "Posts per page." The default is 10. Use the dropdown menu to change it, up to a max of 40 posts per page.

To log in now that the MDA Forum is “closed” you can try this link (from Lovebird): http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:Ib0d9cwBJLQJ:forum.marksdailyapple.com/online+&cd=7&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=nl

Enter your username and password, it will return a screen saying you aren't allowed to view this page. As of today, 12/26/17, just click the link for Forum and it will take you, logged in, to the MDA forum home page, then you can click your username at the top right, and then click My Profile to follow Sharperhawk's instructions.

Last edited by Rig D on Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:19 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Consolidate how to info in the thread, make sticky)
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How to move stuff from MDA

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:19 am

Rig - I can't comment on how to move things, but downloading in some form or another a copy of my journal is a very good idea. Thank you.

Grok on my friend!
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:40 am

There are software programs for this but they are complicated and the average person isn't going to want to learn how to do it.

However....what you might want to consider is who owns that content.  You should go back and read the terms of service on MDA.

Sometimes terms of service say that the site owner owns that content. Other times it says that the poster owns the content - in an attempt to protect the website owner from anything untoward that might get posted there.

I will say, however, having owned a few forums in the past it is generally considered a faux pas to copy forum content.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightly Orange on Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:42 pm

Hah, Mark just posted a blog entry about the forum. The MDA community is migrating to Facebook, and the forum will now be frozen in perpetuity as a searchable archive only.
Nightly Orange

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sharperhawk on Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:12 pm

Going forward, I would suggest that journal writers write and save entries on their own computers and then copy them into the forum. If you value your journal so much that you can't bear the thought of losing it, you should have control over the primary storage. That's just not possible with any forum.
sharperhawk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:40 pm

GO SEE MY POST ON THE SECTION ABOUT PRIMAL BLOGGERS, AUTHORS, ETC.....

Mark just announced, today, on MDA blog that the MDA forum is CLOSED.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:41 pm

Nightly Orange wrote:Hah, Mark just posted a blog entry about the forum. The MDA community is migrating to Facebook, and the forum will now be frozen in perpetuity as a searchable archive only.

Ah, sorry, I saw your post after I posted about the forum being closed.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:00 am

I'd say you sure picked the perfect time for this forum.

Thanks to Ontario and Rig D!
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:48 am

Not me, Ontario gets 100% of the credit. Her initial idea, her effort to put it together and launch it, her effort to manage it. I'm just, pardon the term, a "worker bee." who volunteered for duty. I'm just chipping in where I can to try and make sure this thing succeeds.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sharperhawk on Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:07 pm

If you're going to copy and paste from MDA, it may be easier if your setting is to view 40 posts per page. Go to your profile, click "Edit Settings," then click the "Account" tab. Scroll down until you see the setting for "Posts per page." The default is 10. Use the dropdown menu to change it, up to a max of 40 posts per page.
sharperhawk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:16 am

Sharperhawk---Thank you. I additionally edited the for taking off the signature pages. At first the 40 posts per page did not work and then it did. Go figure.

Thanks for the hint. I was rewarded by seeing some items I had forgotten about.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:21 pm

Indeed, Sharperhawk, I was able t grab all the pages pretty easily and without complicated moves.
Thanks for the tip.
Smile
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:18 pm

12/26/17 I've consolidated the how to info in this thread and rewritten the first post to include it. It also includes info on how to find the topics you've started on MDA.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:11 pm

Rig D wrote:To log in now that the MDA Forum is “closed”

it will return a screen saying you aren't allowed to view this page.

Really? Laughing Can't say I'm surprised though... nor on the number of spammers that keeps posting ever since either... makes one wonder on when the MDA forum will be actually archived and locked. Rolling Eyes

Let's hope they won't mess that up as usual... think M2M's posts of 12 months vanishing and several others during the last 2? years... what were they thinking? Shocked
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:57 pm

From what I see, there are only two posters on MDA after 12/16, but both seem to stay pretty active. Akay, who keeps on posting about the Quran and Jesus. and susannjzc(susan@njzcpharma.com). Both seem to keep on keeping on, two folks to keep a banning eye out for if/when they turn up like a bad penny.

I was surprised this AM when I was able to log in using your link, I figured it might have timed out by now. I certainly wouldn't hire MDA to guard the bank vault.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:22 pm

True that. It has to do with Google (cache) though (Oct 16), not so much MDA... it will time out at some point.

By the way: the 'Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page' shows because one is taking a peek at Who's Online, which is for members only. So nothing new there.

Nice summary you did there in the first post. Wink
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:22 am

Since the other cache timed out earlier this month, here's another (just in case someone wants to post something at MDA Smile or needs to remove something private (from their journal for example) they don't want archived):

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:TaD7-U3EHU4J:forum.marksdailyapple.com/help+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=nl
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down