HeuristicFireFlower's Reach for Highest Potential

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Re: HeuristicFireFlower's Reach for Highest Potential

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Tue 30 Jan 2018 - 5:01

Thanks NM,  it can get tough when I'm alone with my thoughts.  Walking helps me SO much.  I missed my evening forays because they relieved a lot of my restless thinking and stress.

Have begun to modify my walks into mindful power strolls…
My walk was a kinda stagger forward for years.  I didn't lurch, but, I was walking with as little use of my muscles as possible.  Mostly, flat footed stepping with the goal of just going forward, lifting my legs using more thigh, long strides, like marching.  I could go fast, eat many blocks, but, some muscles in my leg and feet were not being fully activated.  Watched this interesting video that demonstrated how to walk using more of your butt muscles and less quads so that all muscles are firing.  Pushing from behind, using your feet to pull yourself forward with a shorter stride, instead of just lifting the thigh to reach out a step.
How to Walk Correctly

I've found that this shift in walking is leading to a stronger, firmer gate.  The old way I was not very centered and I would drift.  Being mindful is, also, an incredible way to de-stress because you stay in the present.

Part of my healing protocol includes proactively seeking company of someone to do things with every week.  Last week was a couple of urban hikes with my niece a few days in a row. Today, I walked a bit with her, again, around a nice residential area with lower hills and those lovely 40-50's sodium bulb street lamps that make me feel I'm not in a LED'd coldy lit urban sprawl.  And yesterday, went with friend for a drive to Big Bear for coffee.

Stress has been one of the biggest, nastiest foes in my health recovery.  I'm, actively, pushing against the hermit gene I know I have.

Last edited by Heuristicfireflower on Wed 31 Jan 2018 - 1:35; edited 2 times in total
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Tue 30 Jan 2018 - 9:15

Thanks for the video. I've got it saved because I think I can learn from it. I've been practicing mindfulness (day 12 of 12) every morning and I find myself going to it when negative thoughts intrude.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue 30 Jan 2018 - 18:15

HFF I will check out the video too. You are doing great reconnecting. Keep up the awesome work. Love your goals with walking.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Greensprout on Tue 30 Jan 2018 - 18:20

Liked the video, HFF. Very much a reminder of what Esther Gokhale thought about walking when she did a seminar at PrimalCon in 2011. Engage the glutes. If you focus on that while walking, it does truly feel very different. Thanks for the reminder.
Greensprout

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue 30 Jan 2018 - 22:37

Thanks for the video link, good stuff!

Part of my healing protocol includes proactively seeking company of someone to do things with every week. Last week was a couple of urban hikes with my niece a few days in a row. Today, I walked a bit with her, again, around a nice residential area with lower hills and those lovely 40-50's sodium bulb street lamps that make me feel I'm not in a LED'd coldy lit urban sprawl. And yesterday, went with friend for a drive to Big Bear for coffee.

Stress has been one of the biggest, nastiest foes in my health recovery. I'm, actively, pushing against the hermit gene I know I have.

I so admire this! It can be incredibly hard to reach out to others. Well done.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Wed 31 Jan 2018 - 3:04

NM, I enjoy sharing good info,   Smile    especially if I have found a positive affect on me.  It'd help others, too.

Pedidoc, I've been practicing this way of walking and it's interesting when I shift from my years 'n' years old form to using the smaller stride.  I have to think of my heel pulling the sidewalk towards the back, as if on a treadmill.  I notice my posture automatically straightens out as well, ether balance rather than leaning forward when I would "march".  My lower back would be tight after walks by working more than necessary.
M2M, yes, something an active person could appreciate.   Smile    It does make a difference in muscles used when I switch to this method.  Definitely beats the shuttle I had.  With stress comes fatigue and the least need for socializing.  But, I realized I had retreated way too far.  Isolation is a stress I hadn't been aware of.  Not until I started to hang out with my cousins and friends did I remember how it was in my youth.  Life was funner.  I don't have a life partner and conversation with an elderly lady with minuscule short term memory is not quite stimulating.  I, admitted to myself that have to work for my mental health, too, like everything else.

Right on, GS!   Esther Gokhale's book, 8 Steps to a Pain-Free Back, was a Godsend for me!  Her explanations helped me understand how we've affected our posture and weakened muscles with "aides" for comfort.  I've been using her way of "hinging" at the hip when bending forward, not curl the back and I've avoided back spasm for over 10 years.  My low back is weak, however, and does need to be strengthened as part of my slow re-intro to body weight exercises. Same with shoes altering our foot shape since we were young.  It never occurred to me to attribute the recognizable westernized foot shape to the shape of shoes!  Even, the students drawing aliens draw the foot shape with toe turning into a point.   I'm slowly straightening out my big toe to align with the inner line of foot.

Currently doing a simple, but, very effective exercise to pull my knee cap back towards the center.  It's a variety of leg extensions called "terminal" knee extensions.  No weights, but, day after 2 set of 15, I woke that inner quad muscle up.  It was sore.  Therapist, also, suggested planks.  I haven't got to those yet as my legs are really weak.  Starting at step one with body weight squats - getting up and sitting down in a controlled way.  Same exercises my mom was given 'cause I'm just as weak.   My hour walks continue at 4 times a week.  Plantar / heel continues to bug  >: [   I will ask therapist for a 4th session of ultrasound on the heel.  

My injured ankle is getting stronger, I can balance on it while putting my other foot through the leg of pants, yay!  Can hold well when I try to stand on the one leg for a minute.  My 2 outer toes, however, have muscle damage from the sprain.  Pushing down on the floor with those toes, I find I can slip a paper, easily under the last 3.  No grip power.  I cannot pick up marbles as part of the therapy, as well.  The swelling persists around the ankle.  It burns somewhat, but, not intolerably.  There is a constant itching around the ankle as well.  I am using compression hose so circulation is good and the dry skin and scaling has not returned, but, will ask the hematologist about it.  

My annoyance with the med group I'm assigned to is muted.  Today, I received a call from LA Care insurance.  An RN was doing a follow up on the emergency medical data from the sprain. It listed high blood pressure and the person asked if I had been diagnosed with high cholesterol.  I said no.  Once, I informed her of the DVT, I was taken off the, I guess, concern list, since my BP was due to an acute incident.  Well, at least they are acting on information from the patients in their group, however late..  The 2nd call was this afternoon from the the, actual, doctor, after my last INR blood test came in.  He was checking on my dosage and day I increased it before the test.  He gave me the option of doubling dose a few days a week or stay on the same and then recheck in 2 weeks.  The higher the dose, the riskier it becomes for internal bleeding.  I opted for staying on same dose before moving up with med amount.  I will have to measure the amount of greens I eat every day and keep to same amount and see if the blood levels of anti-coagulant goes up a bit without increasing the dose.  Apparently, exercise (and cold temps), also, increase the coagulation factors.  Since I've been walking a bunch, I'm sure that measures in. Anyway, gave me a bit more favorable impression of the clinic, as they are aware and watching the labs for those under their care.  

Films, reading and novelas calm me down, too. Watched The Hundred-Foot Journey, yesterday. I, always enjoy films when it's themed around food. Helen Mirren is in this one, a favorite actress. Also, taking in Netflix's Morrocco; Love in Times of War. Some very handsome players in there. ;]

Another yay!  Tomorrow I get my hair reshaped as the school semester starts this weekend. I made an unofficial pact with myself to start dressing up my face, a bit. Colorizing and shadowing the peepers can be fun. :]
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Wed 31 Jan 2018 - 4:36

I just googled her name and discovered there are free online workshops hosted by Esther Gokhale. They begin in February. I'm interested. Not because I have back pain all the time but when I walk the beach for hours I do.

Thanks for the info HFF.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed 31 Jan 2018 - 18:09

HFF, it sounds like a lot of progress in many different areas. Your ankle itching could be healing. I love hearing of its improvement.

You’re not alone in weak muscles, as I don’t get in much with DH, why I’m so thank for for DS and working me out. I m trilled the therapists is looking at more than your ankle to help you get stronger all over. So very important.

Good job continuing the walks too. Always makes one feel a bit brighter.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Thu 1 Feb 2018 - 2:50

Good news on the stronger ankle, along with other progress. Grok on Smile
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Thu 1 Feb 2018 - 5:06

Oh that's good to know!  Will look it up, PPam. I think her method can prevent issues from appearing.  
NM, My couple of years of sitting has definitely been detrimental.  Good thing the body will happily reverse things with a little coaxing.
Thanks Annie!

I think I'll be going back to work at the school in a much better center of self.  The stress has dropped quite a bit.  The tryptophan has been key to cutting the anxiety in the mornings and helping me sleep the night before.  This is the 1st week in months I am getting up in much much better spirits.  The effort to stay on protocol is important.  Take the tryptophan every night.  Commitment to follow through is a habit I am building.   Trip to stylist was enjoyable. This is my 2nd visit with Dawn. WE both got into a great discussion on the art of cutting and drawing.  Many parallels and similar thinking in ways of looking at a "job" and the methodical way we use to visualize the projected goal.   Hair has movement and depth, which is hard to achieve with curly frizz prone hair.  :]] After so many horrible, angst grow-outs that took years to correct, I don't have any doubts my stylist is the "one".  LOL.  

A new referral came or a vascular surgeon.  Awesome, her medical office is located on my side of town, not on the east-side 23 miles away!  Still not sure how a vascular doc and a hematologist wii differ for my DVT condition.

Today, 2 beautiful treasures - both black flowered orchids -are in bloom.  So much joy in the challenge of growing these plants.  I got the culture right for rest and grow cycle and am, finally, rewarded with amazingly curious and beautiful blooms.  
Here's one of them…..
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Thu 1 Feb 2018 - 5:14

Beautiful, I like the hints of red.

Great about the cut working out. It is so hard to find a good hair person.

Good for you staying on a schedule.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Thu 1 Feb 2018 - 5:33

What amazing orchids!
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Thu 1 Feb 2018 - 9:24

Flowers!!! I am so impatiently waiting for Spring when I feel the dirt and see the growth.

Beautiful orchids.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Thu 1 Feb 2018 - 12:28

Gorgeous! Smile

I love how you are using the experience of what you have been going through due to that unlucky fall, to improve your life on so many levels. You've gotten great support from many people, and did not let the others that worked against you get you down, yet fought your way back; much to be thankful for, even if at first it looked like a total disaster. Wink Getting stronger every day!

And congrats on finding your perfect match hairstylist.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu 1 Feb 2018 - 17:39

So pleased your hair turned out well. Love the place you are in and the care you are showing yourself.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu 1 Feb 2018 - 19:07

Sounds like some awesome things today. Great hair and a very beautiful flower. Love it
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Sat 3 Feb 2018 - 5:06

Thanks Annieh, Pedidoc,  I know! Kinda like a shiny plum wine.  Always appreciate more in the photos I take then with my own eyes.
PPam, yes, love the off blooms in the dead of winter, although, winter here is Cali is abnormally summer like this week.

LB, the sprain has been a life changing event.  Thank you for reminding me how I went with this. That nasty clot could have gone anywhere, but, by the grace of God it stayed put and my discomfort was comparatively minimal.  My health habits weren't so hot up to that point, but, fortunately, I wasn't really sick.  If I had let myself dive into a complete, full tilt SAD diet, I'm sure I'd of been in and out of hospitals since the injury.  

This was, indeed, my wake-up call.  I was on my way, through denial of how my choices were affecting me, to serious and chronic health issues. A miserable existence where all my efforts would be to survive my conditions and prescribed drug's to control symptoms as well as the drug's assaults on my bodies balanced systems.  I'm appreciating how much the body wants to be healthy. It's been fascinating (when I stopped worrying) to watch how my body is going through it's steps to protect first, then heal the area at its fastest pace. Speed, I believe, inversely influenced by the amount of nutrients available through my diet choices. That's a powerful example of focused energy to witness.  

My whole outlook could not help but change.  I must respect the energy my body takes to maintain stasis.  It was beautifully designed to keep us going. I really consider, now, when I think of putting a food or food like object in my mouth to ingest, how it's going to affect my system. This question has become the best binge buster.

M2M, Thank you.  :]     Big part, due to the unsettling health issue that developed.  I've always loved to do up my face and I love wearing attractive clothes.  But, I let myself recede into a deep emotional cave just to get away from the things and responsibilities that were uncomfortable in my life.   I felt old and the cosmetics available before I could not work with.  Now, the liners are so forgiving and not rough or pulling on older skin.  I love the colors I have in my makeup kit(s) and I fully plan to enjoy them.  :]    Hair has so much movement and is full, so lifts my face.  Very Happy
NM, you are an amazing example of staying the distance.  I must find my strength as you have to take care of what I need to.   :]

Well, it's begun.  The big clean-out of my dads closet.  Of course, the feelings came up, but, not too bad.  The tears are there as I remember him and as I write this.  I miss him.  Miss his strength, his knowledge of history and the sense of safe he provided for us.  I miss his unconditional love and the ways a serious, somewhat macho man showed his tremendous love and pride for his daughter.  When he was in hospice at home and he last closed his eyes, I told him not to worry about me or my mom.  I had the sense that he was worried he would be leaving us alone, unprotected.   I reminded him he had taught us how to protect ourselves and be aware and that he had provided us a secure home and he should not worry.  I told him we would be okay and he could rest, we would be safe.  I felt he needed to hear that to let go.  And he did.  

Going through his clothes, inevitably brings back many of these memories.   I, also, know he wouldn't want me drowning and feeling responsible for things that weren't mine.  He kept his clothes for a long time.  There are many vintage shirts - think Kramer from Seinfeld - that may be appreciated by someone else.  I pulled them out, evaluated and then put them back.  I  start work this weekend so the project will continue next week.   However, I keep in mind that these types of projects must be done in small bites.  I began to worry how big this clean out would be, then stopped myself and reminded myself of something  I read -  For every 20 minutes of work on a long project, take a 10 minute break to make it manageable.  Or a 45/15 as I gain momentum.  Don't blow all your energy on one long haul on a clean -out. This is for beginner de-clutterers, like me, and I think this will work.  

This little blurb got right to the point and booted some sense into my brain! UFYH
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sat 3 Feb 2018 - 17:43

HFF I think you are doing an amazing job. I dread the day when I will need to do clean outs and I know they are not far in the future.

In my cas I do what needs done. Don’t really have an alternative. Can’t afford to put DH anywhere, so I march on. But my real strength comes from God. Could not do it without Him. I know that snot for everyone, but He surely helps me.

You too will get through this, one day at a time, and some sometimes it one hour at a time or even one minute. As the old song goes, put one foot in front of the other, and soon you’ll be walkin’ down The street. You’ve got this.

Hugs
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon 5 Feb 2018 - 14:42

What a lovely remembrance of your father. You honor him.

Yep, little bits as you can do it. It does get easier as you go, particularly if you keep at it. It starts to feel good to see the progress.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Mon 5 Feb 2018 - 16:55

NM, same here.  there are always, hard to deal with situations in life.  For me it was when my father broke his hip and then was in hospice for 3 months.  2 years later my brother also passed.  Both times the load of responsibility fell on me.  It took everything I had but it wasn't enough.  Prayers kept me afloat.  Strength I didn't know I had was there, even though, the aftermath to my health was great.  I understand, God keeps us buoyant.

I give thanks to our Creator for guidance and hope AND now the all clear!  I had an ultrasound this morning and the clot is GONE baby GONE!!!  The ultra-tech said veins are good, no damage to valves, flow is good throughout leg.  Happiest day of 2018, for me, so far.  Yeehaw!!!

My diet continues to improve.   Arrow

My ongoing goal is to reverse the pre-diabetic HbA1c alert and re-arrange the cholesterol to much better numbers.  So far have kept the carbs to about 100gms or less, many times at around 70-85 a day.  Carbs come from yogurt, avocados, berries, veggies and the tortilla chips I can't seem to let go. My walking is consistent each week, so, that will alter numbers for the better.  Also, keeping the water intake high, which, I'm sure has a lot to do with clearing that clot in under 3 months.  I appreciate my body for working as it was designed to. I will try not to hinder it. :]

Swelling is residual from the, actual, ankle injury and that still backs up a bit around joint.  However, it is 95% better and flexibility is getting better each day.  I will continue the compression hose until that is gone.  The other fantastic benefit of this mornings results is that I can now eat my hearts content on veggies and green leafies!! I no longer need the ant-coagulant!!  Yay!!  I think the warfarin will play a role as a prophylaxis for plane flights to prevent any more vein issues.  Will talk to my Doc about that.  Supplements to continue; Omega 3 fish oil, curcumin, Vitamin C as all have a positive blood "thinning" effect.  But, now will be moving onto some specific blood slicking nutrients to keep the fluid at healthier fibrinogen numbers and to help prevent abnormal platelet aggregation - Nattokinse is one.  Next is adding back in Rosita Cod Liver Oil, probiotics, fermented foods.  Back to adding garlic, love garlic and onions, and any other circulatory positives I learn of.  Greens will be honored in the Big Ass Salad, often.

M2M, It truly does get easier, like NM suggested, one step at a time and keep the goal of clarity and freedom to put things we want in an organized space as the worthy end. I needed the time, I guess, to grieve and get over other issues, but, I feel able to handle a lot more these last 2 years. Am grateful I can.

I want to start a consistent program of steady strength training for my legs, core, arms and everything in between. Baby steps here as I re-train my left kneecap back to it's rightful place.  Walking continues and confidence grows in the right ankle joint's use.  Found some great rebuilding knee vids on Youtube.  I found some pretty and cute sleeveless pull-on dresses and turtlenecks in my 3rd go-through of my closet.  Arm toning will be dialed in.  Also, found like, 60 pounds of jeans and casual pants, all new.  I separated into almost fit me piles and not yets.  The almost fits are 6 pounds away and all the jeans are high quality thick material that I seek and rarely find.  I was thanking myself for these long ago finds that are never out of fashion. About 6 pieces are in the donate pile.  

Right now, am going to take me and my mom to a clot-gone celebratory early dinner.  :]
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon 5 Feb 2018 - 17:48

What outstanding news! Doing the happy dance on your behalf that you can put the warfarin behind you as well, and pile on the veggies and leafy greens!
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon 5 Feb 2018 - 19:00

HFF so awesome on the news of the clot being completely gone. Happy dance here for you too!
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Tue 6 Feb 2018 - 7:18

Heuristicfireflower wrote:I had an ultrasound this morning and the clot is GONE baby GONE!!!  The ultra-tech said veins are good, no damage to valves, flow is good throughout leg.  Happiest day of 2018, for me, so far.  Yeehaw!!!

cheers  cheers Great news! So happy for you. ((HUGS))

Heuristicfireflower wrote:My diet continues to improve.   Arrow

The other fantastic benefit of this mornings results is that I can now eat my hearts content on veggies and green leafies!! I no longer need the ant-coagulant!!  Yay!!  I think the warfarin will play a role as a prophylaxis for plane flights to prevent any more vein issues.  Will talk to my Doc about that.  Supplements to continue; Omega 3 fish oil, curcumin, Vitamin C as all have a positive blood "thinning" effect.  But, now will be moving onto some specific blood slicking nutrients to keep the fluid at healthier fibrinogen numbers and to help prevent abnormal platelet aggregation - Nattokinse is one.  Next is adding back in Rosita Cod Liver Oil, probiotics, fermented foods.  Back to adding garlic, love garlic and onions, and any other circulatory positives I learn of.  Greens will be honored in the Big Ass Salad, often.

Enjoy your healthy and tasty meals, my dear.  sunny

Heuristicfireflower wrote:I found some pretty and cute sleeveless pull-on dresses and turtlenecks in my 3rd go-through of my closet.  Arm toning will be dialed in.  Also, found like, 60 pounds of jeans and casual pants, all new.  I separated into almost fit me piles and not yets.  The almost fits are 6 pounds away and all the jeans are high quality thick material that I seek and rarely find.  I was thanking myself for these long ago finds that are never out of fashion. About 6 pieces are in the donate pile.

How nice to notice old and new great findings in your own closet.  Wink Yay for decluttering and keeping the joy bringing ones!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Tue 6 Feb 2018 - 7:45

Congratulations on the news.

I also should make a go-through of my closet to find/donate items again. Thanks for the reminder.

Have a great day.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Tue 6 Feb 2018 - 9:32

Congratulations on the clot issue. I know that is a major relief and accomplishment and bodes well for your continuing health.

I hope you are successful in getting the ankle up to full speed. My wife had a severe ankle sprain in her early 20's, now 40 years later, she still has occasional issues with it. But back then she didn't know to do a real recuperation and exercise program like you are doing. Just take good care of it and get it back to normal.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next