HeuristicFireFlower's Reach for Highest Potential

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Re: HeuristicFireFlower's Reach for Highest Potential

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:24 am

Hi GlassFA,  The brace gives me a bit more confidence in walking on the foot with some stability.  And the health care system is an incredible mess of overworked, jaded souls.  I believe most people get into the medical field because at one time they wanted to help others.  I think as I figure this maze out it's good to keep that in mind so I don't lose it.  

Thanks again LB,

Major project has been commenced.  

The friend that I hired to help me with house chores did a grand job organizing my mom's disaster zone of a sewing room.  She helped with finding space for the dozens of dresses, skirts, multiple coats piled up on the table.  She did all while whistling and singing.  She's energetic and has a can do attitude.  A positive energy that is good to be around.  Very kind and sweet with my mom.   It was the impetus to pull all my mom's shoes and sort into trash, repair, donate and keep bags.  Slippers, kitten heels that we forgot existed buried for years while mom kept using same old shoes.  

My friend did almost all the work organizing and I don't really feel guilty.  Too many hangups centered around doing things alone and having one person tackle one of the projects felt like a lift.  I notice I happily hum along-side cleaning, sorting etc. when someone else is working on a project. By myself,  dead in the water.  Support is so important.  My brother in Texas had no comment when I texted I had bent my ankle and released a clot in my leg.  He was more concerned with describing the snow on his minivan.  Not kidding.  No comment about what I had just informed.  The alone feeling is what overwhelms me and kills my motivation.  I know where all this comes from, but, it doesn't make the emotional aspect of it easier to deal with.    

It certainly DOES feel fantastic to see mom's sewing/warehouse room de-cluttered.  The room is not done, yet. Like you said LB, the obvious things were dealt with first for today.  Now, I can go through the rest of the stuff at a more relaxed pace and sort.

Last edited by Heuristicfireflower on Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:49 am; edited 3 times in total
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:37 am

Any time babe. *hugs*

Your brother is a very self-centered man (I wanted to use something different, but 'energy goes where attention flows' so... lol). Your friend is a jewel to be cherished. We all needs friends like these. Makes life so much easier.

Sounds like you were able to lift some of that weight of your shoulders. Feels great, doesn't it? <- rethorical question. cheers

If you've got some time to spare today:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:17 am

HFF - so happy you could have some help on sorting. Something i need around here as well.

As to your brother, sounds a lot like mine. My folks have been in the process of moving, I have limited time to help due to DH and having to have someone here in order to leave. Well, DB has been basically non existent, and as usual, DM won't ask because "he's been so busy". I guess nursing a sick husband on a vent 24/7 is equal to sitting around eating bon bons all day. So I do feel your pain.

Hopefully your ankle will continue to heal nicely and you'll be able to finish your Mom's room. Oh and can I borrow your friend? Smile

Hugs
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Glass Full of Air on Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:03 am

HFF - Hope you're still mending! Smile

Glass Full of Air

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:52 am

Thanks GlassFoA, NM,

Been depressed, lately.  Can't help it.  I was walking 3-4 times a week before this and it was an incredible lift for my mind.  It, always, alleviated the oncoming low mood that threatened to storm.  Now, I've lost that outlet.  I've been considering maybe stationary biking at the gym.... but, any activity and gravity immediately starts to puff up my lower leg and foot.  

Although the ankle, foot is slowly getting used to using the tweaked muscles it saddens me to see how my ankle is looking. Tendons shortened from the trauma which kinda pulls back on the toes and stiffens them.  They're more curled under than its counterpart foot. Trying to walk and use as much of the foot in as close to a normal stride as possible causes soreness and some painful resistance.  If I get too eager calf won't have it.  It begins to spasm and I have to walk a bit flatter to control that.  Still waiting for insurance approval for phys therapy.... meantime I'm working on it as much as I can.  Made an appointment with vascular surgeon for January. 15 miles from where I live. Astounding. Can't wait for their guidance. Will be gong to med store and getting compression hose.  I'm going to send a letter to the med group main office and ask why all their referrals are scattered all over Los Angeles.  I know it won't do a damn bit of good, but, will get it off my chest.  

I have classic symptoms of Post Thrombotic Syndrome.
There is major scaling of skin from the slow circulation on the swollen areas around that donut on the ankle, same areas that have darkened.  Just major drying out and peeling. It's alarming. The swelling persists with little puffed areas above my tendon and bones of upper foot.  I use lotion on the dry areas every day.  It helps a lot, while my other foot is fine without lotion at all.  I hate seeing my body struggle to keep bits of it alive and surviving.  It amazes me what a massive cascade of crap has developed from a sprained ankle.  

Today I was trying to open an impossible to open jar of salsa I bought from the farmers market.  On the last heroic try my hand slipped and scraped my knuckle against the metal jar edge.....still didn't open.   The slow bleeding began and then wouldn't stop for about 2-3 minutes!  My introduction to anticoagulant therapy and it's hazards.   I kept my hand elevated for a minute more after 3rd attempt to dab Medihoney trying to staunch it.  I cannot imagine what a real cut would've spilled.  

I've been watching Gilmour Girls on Netflix as a way to set my mind on a lighter tone.  Good show.  That and Frasier always calm my mind down.
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:24 am

I'm sorry to hear of all the crud you have going on HFF. I hope you get your mobility back in the near future. Perhaps some yoga and mindfulness activities could help with the depression? Sending healing thoughts.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:47 pm

oh,dear, no wonder you are feeling low. you are doing the best you can to look after yourself, keep it up.

i am wracking my brain to think of ways you can get some moodlifting exercise in without using your lower body, maybe something with your arms while seated, like juggling or spinning a hoop? even playing a guitar or ukulele while you sing along. singing can be a cardio vascular workout and music can be therapeutic.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:22 pm

Yeah, Pedidoc, Annie,

You are both right. I need to think outside my sad box and do some body work. I'm easily discouraged these days. With my adrenal issues, I reach melting point very quickly. Must try a bit harder to make the best of it.
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:27 pm

oh, hff, i hope you didn't take my post as a must try harder comment. i just hoped to encourage that there may yet be possibilities within your very testing situation.

Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:42 pm

Hugs to you. Walking is great for the mood, and wth DD off at school I’m missing mine as well. That said another outside the box though would be a hand bike. Or air boxing.

Not saying work harder just tossing out suggestions
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:20 am

Oh no, Annie,

I like yours and Pedidoc's suggestions.  It's been a long time since I did any body work aside from walking.  Instead spent 2 years of honing potato on couch skills. From what I'm reading that and not controlling carb intake likely contributed to the clot issue. I'm not in shape anymore and have thought Pilates would be a nice, least stressful re-intro to activity.

NM, airboxing, hmmm, have to look into that.

I, always, appreciate everyone's comments and support.  :]   Thank you.
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:07 am

Hope you have a great day HFF.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:40 pm

So glad your cut was not worse. Blood thinners can be life-savers (obviously) but... in real life there are too many sharp edges and pokey things!

Give Google a poke with 'seated upper body workout' or substitute 'exercises' - lots of options to test out and see if any are enjoyable. Also, not sure if you are driving yet, but we find that thrift stores generally have a nice big selection of exercise DVD's and many have seated variations such as chair yoga.

Congrats on your successful clean & reorg!
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:52 am

Thanks Pedidoc,
M2M, yea, I have to be more thoughtful and deliberate in my use of cutting objects and where I step. There is definitely a mindfulness element in everything I do, now, in my quest to avoid bleeding and tripping events. I think I did very well being in fear of re-injury and a worse recovery. Using boot, crutches and avoiding weight on foot for 4 weeks went a long way in allowing ankle to restitch itself with no painful deviations. Smile

Seated exercise: Good place to start. Found some great seated, for elderly, baby dumbbell routines. Looks like I'll start tomorrow. Smile

My cousin's on vacation, so, asked her to be my pal for the day. She always makes me feel normal and countless times has talked me off the many cliffs throughout my life. We sort of do that for each other and her sisters, too. I'm close with all of them and now have extended the pal-ness through my nieces. All very loving and grounding for me. Their hugs are the best.

Today, I went to get my prescrip ankle brace. Well, my brace has to be ordered. The technician, however, was kind enough to show me how to, correctly, lace up the one I bought. And the cool thing is even well laced and tighter around my foot and ankle, as tech laced it, I didn't wind up with a dent in the swollen parts. Also, bought 2 pairs of compression socks. Research shows walking with compression bandages helps reduce post throm symptoms.
No med person bothered to tell me this.

Hope it helps keep skin condition from worsening

Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:21 pm

HFF sounds like a good day for you, for the most part. Happy to hear the healing continues
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:21 am

Thanks NM,

Today was okay, if not a little trying.   Wore compression stocking, calf kept it's morning shape.  Some achyness, but, otherwise comfortable..  The troubling part is the spasms that threaten to cramp and I can't stretch that leg very well to relieve it.  Am on a very fine balance with mag, electrolytes, salted water to keep my body in stasis and hydrated.  Need magnesium to keep my gut moving for last 10 years.  Too much mag and it seems to draw in too much water into bowel away from rest of body and legs cramp. My theory, anyway.  But, the mag is necessary. If I miss the right dose or eat the wrong food, I have major major trouble going and any strain blows out the hemms.  Hemms developed over the years as a result of the chronic severe constipation issue that I have not found the source of.  Well, unfortunately, the last 2 days have been touch and go.  All I think about is I cannot bleed!  And I cannot take painkillers without risk.  

Got labs back, more not so good news.  My disregard for early signs of blood sugar issues has progressed to borderline if not diabetic zone.  Fasting at 126.  HbAic 5.7.  Horrendous numbers and me with a clot in my leg.  The ER number was 93 a month before.  I'm afraid to think what it soars to after a meal.  My fault and really just upset at my lack of control.  Yet, another result of sidestepping healthy habits.  I think, my walking had been keeping all this at bay up until, now.   Really astounded how much my health has been hanging on a thread until the one straw that broke the camel's back........

Sigh, seriously.  Quite a number of wake-up slaps.  

So am down to extremely small meals and no meat until this calms down, hopefully, in a few days or a week.  These are the days when I, unintentionally, lose weight - Damage control for acute phase.
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:41 pm

HFF - hugs. You'll do this. It will take time and patience, but know I will be doing it along side of you. While I don't have any injuries, my exercise is hampered by my DH. You got this!
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:15 pm

Heuristicfireflower wrote:

Really astounded how much my health has been hanging on a thread until the one straw that broke the camel's back........

Sigh, seriously.  Quite a number of wake-up slaps.  

So am down to extremely small meals and no meat until this calms down, hopefully, in a few days or a week.  

HFF, I suspect there are very very many people also walking that close to the edge regarding their health, yet unaware. It is both astounding and not at all astounding. At least now you have received your wake up call and are paying heed. Good for you. i agree with nm, you can do it. try not to think of your simple meals etc as deprivation, but rather as looking after yourself with care. Blessings.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:14 am

So much on your plate. Glad you are looking for answers. Chin up.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:24 pm

Thanks NM, Annie, PPam,

I looked at the 1st panel taken on Nov 29, and blood glucose serum was 85!
At the ER, Nov 17th, it was 93 after a 6-7 hour fast while waiting.  I have a faint recollection of doing something stupid like eating cheese, thinking it's mostly fat, the morning of the blood draw, forgetting that protein also triggers a glucose response.  Maybe, why the glucose was 126........  I'm hoping, but, memory is fuzzy.  In any case, am still retesting after a month of conscientious Primal eating.  The HbAic is still too high, needs to be less than 5.  

I was also, walking a lot before, and am down to just puttering around the house.  I read research that stated after 90 minutes of sitting stationary results in 40% reduction of blow flow to lower extremity. Yikes!!!  For desk job situations, getting up for even as little as a minute every hour, will help alleviate this problem.  Getting up for 10 1-2 minute breaks seemed to provoke a better response than getting up for an hour during an 8 hour period in one study.  Drinking lots of water makes it easy to keep the movement schedule for me.

There are quite a few studies AND interpretations that balance out the headline that "Sitting is the New Smoking".  Such as a recent Norway study conclusion - "In conclusion, the results of this longitudinal population-based study suggest that total daily sitting time has little association with the risk of any diabetes in the population as a whole, but prolonged sitting time may contribute to increased diabetes risk among physically inactive people." - https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00125-016-4193-z

This help takes some of the anxiety away. Why Sitting is NOT the New Smoking
Honestly, I am one that researches and reads a lot, plus draw in several hour blocks. There has to be a way to alleviate the detrimental effects of intense focus periods. >:[

Moving as often as possible is, of course, a logical and sensible approach.  In the 1st link above, exercising IS thought to ameliorate the sitting required by desk jobs.  I appreciate thoughtful interpretation of factors included or excluded from studies that affect conclusions.

Last edited by Heuristicfireflower on Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:07 pm

NM,  We will do this lifestyle change because t makes everything better, no matter what the situation.
Annieh,  You know once the over sugary loaded pastries and donutty objects are off the table, the appeal of tomatoes, apples,  home grown oranges expands exponentially.  Right now enjoying 1/2 a serving of Aris vanilla sheep's milk Greek yogurt with a handful of blueberries.  Healthy and yummy.
PPam,  As much as I despair easily, I never give up.   The research is out there and it always comes back to diet and lifestyle to clean up a host of issues.  Bless the researchers and their love of truth.

I think I'm, just, scared because I don't have all the answers for my condition and the check ins at the Doc's office are so far apart and dependent entirely on authorizations which take over 2 weeks to get and then 2 more weeks to get an appointment.  And then they send me over 10 miles for the referrals.  Sigh.  Once stabilized for warfarin I will look for another closer group. 

Well, the compression stocking is working beautifully.  I'm using the lowest compression as they are expensive and thought that is better than nothing.  Some itching, but, I don't have swelling in the calf and when I take it off, leg looks completely normal.  Well designed and heaps of good fortune to those who invented these.

Gut issue subsided and back to stasis and maintenance.   Meals are small, eating meat again and lots of water down the hatch.  Am going to up the tryptophan to alleviate the anxiety. No more coffee drinks for awhile, even decaf. Grains are out except non GMO corn masa. for tamales  Am watching the carbs, tho.

Today am preparing pork for posole and later tamales.  Lots of cutting and prep than stewing.   Mom is looking forward to it.  Me too in small quantities.
:]
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:27 pm

Welcome distractions.  I've had for over 10 years and it decides to bloom in winter and make me happy. :]
[/URL]

Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:59 pm

HFF you are correct, we will do it. Health is important. I keep telling myself, it is so much more important than any momentary pleasure from whatever food. I have a pork butt in The crock pot doing its thang overnight. I will shred in the morning and set aside for Christmas Day.

I know you will figure this out. Have you tried a standing desk? I know a bit tough at the moment, but they do help. I swear by mine now.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:03 am

Narrowminded wrote:HFF you are correct, we will do it.  Health is important. I keep telling myself, it is so much more important than any momentary pleasure from whatever food.

YES! Foremost thought while implementing healthy habits.

I have been reading up. Choices of workstations are good. Movement in any form seems to be key.
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:52 pm

Merry Christmas, HFF! santa rendeer
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content