Simply Primal - Annie Tries Again

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Simply Primal - Annie Tries Again Empty Simply Primal - Annie Tries Again

Post by Annieh on Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:54 pm

HFF, thankyou for reading back over past entries, and thank you for your positive comments.

Cooked a meal for seven yesterday, not much remains.  I had almost forgotten how much young people  can eat - especially when they have spent a day moving furniture and climbing mountains (the men), and creating a wedding dress (the women).  

The menu: Slow cooker beef in herbs and red wine, crispy potato cubes, roast pumpkin, green peas, simple fresh coleslaw with cabbage, carrot, mint leaves, lime juice and peanut oil, with my daughter's delicious stuffed mushrooms with onion and blue cheese and goodness knows what else.

For dessert one of the girls bought the ingredients, read me the recipe and made the sauce for a sticky date pudding.  It was said to serve 12 but I can tell you there was none left.

It was such fun to have my house full, and the guests finished feeling like "fat happy cats", and I quote.

Today we better work it all off with a game of disc golf.  

Also, desperately needed to get back to the gym, which I did.  It was almost deserted because it was such a beautiful day outside.
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Simply Primal - Annie Tries Again Empty Re: Simply Primal - Annie Tries Again

Post by Pedidoc on Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:00 pm

Sounds like a wonderful feast and a fun get together.
Pedidoc
Pedidoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:55 pm

What a wonderful way to spend a day. I’m sure your heart was full of joy. What a blessing.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:15 pm

Workout #23. I have grown stronger, faster and have gained at least 1kg. Time to switch up my routine (and my diet) and burn some fat.

Five hour tramp yesterday, just enough really.
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:33 pm

The tramp should burn some fat.

Congrats on the strength gains. Awesome.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:24 am

1 kg gain sounds like a fair trade off for faster/stronger.
As some wag once said about college football here "Bigger, stronger, faster may not always win, but it is the way to bet."
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Post by ShelleyM on Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:26 pm

Enjoy reading about your doings! Smile
ShelleyM
ShelleyM

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:47 am

Well, thanks, Shelley. My latest doings are really super dooper boring though.

On the basis of my current first aid certificate, I have been conscripted to look after the emergency phone at the local polytechnic while the nurse is on leave. The fact that I have literally zero first aid experience is irrelevant because the students are also absent and so the chances of anyone actually calling this number are remote.

Therefore some other tasks have been sent my way. I guess I would call them data entry - generating reports from a student survey, and creating a new survey. Goodness me, now I believe I understand why my niece has resigned her office job without any future plans beyond a spot of dog walking and car grooming. How do any of you who do computer work stand it????????????
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by ShelleyM on Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:53 am

As Ontario put it over in Pedi's journal, some of us have "Social Anxiety Disorder." Too much people interaction and I am totally drained! Computers are my friend. Smile Seriously, do make sure you get up every hour or so and move around.
ShelleyM
ShelleyM

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:09 am

+1.
Assuming that the application(s) you are using work at least semi-intuitively, much less erratic stuff than people. But a poorly designed app will drive you right up the wall with no way out of the frustrations it causes.
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:25 pm

Look at it this way, something different and something you definitely know you don’t want to do. Smile
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:36 am

Shelley, I am sorry for other people's emotional difficulties, but if it means that a job one person detests can be another person's answer to prayer, then everything will get done and no one need suffer!

Rig, I barely understand what the word "application" means in this context. I would think of sticking something to something else with glue, or perhaps working diligently. I guess you mean programmes?? At the moment I'm not so much frustrated with the task as numbed by the pointlessness of it and the tedium of staying seated at a desk all morning with not even a clue as to what the weather is doing outside.

NM, it seems I am racking up quite a list of things I don't want to do. It's made me realise I love piano teaching even more than I thought.

So, today I finished the survey and moved onto the distribution list, woop de doo. I also played table tennis with someone's eleven-year-old grandson, since we were both going loco staring at our screens. Neither of us knew the rules, so we co-operated for the longest rally, which I can report was 38 by his count.

After three days on the desk I have handed out a total of three tampons, eight panadol, two glasses of water and a ping pong ball. We'll see if I can beat that score next week.

Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:27 am

Well, you can add giving me a good laugh to your list of accomplishments!

I'm in the 'give me a computer project' versus having to talk to people any day camp...
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

Back to top Go down

Post by ShelleyM on Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:11 am

Smiles to you Annie. Have a good day. Smile
ShelleyM
ShelleyM

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:30 am

Yes, an application is a program, or set of closely related programs. On your cell phone the classic line is "There's an app for that." App is just short hand for application, put in use IMO by those who didn't want to scare people with computer talk on their warm n fuzzy cell phone.

The tedium and pointlessness frequently resides in the app not being "tightly coupled" or "closely integrated" meaning that data is not shared completely (or adequately) between various functions in the application. this translates into simply having to re-enter a lot of information that is already present somewhere else and reflects poor system design.
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:50 am

Meant2Move wrote:

I'm in the 'give me a computer project' versus having to talk to people any day camp...

Yes! I am in this group as well.

Annie, it is hard when we are asked to play to our weaknesses or dislikes. I get it. I hope your computer time is short and sporadic!

ONTARIO

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:46 pm

sounds like a frustrating and trying time for you! Hoping it is all over and done soon!
tomi1000
tomi1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:50 pm

I too got a good laugh about your accomplishments this week.

Try to think of it as learning a new skill, one you never want to have to use. Smile
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:13 am

Thanks Rig for that info.  I am one who needs things explained to me in plain words.  My DH has often had to translate a comic strip or TV ad.  I suspected that apps and programs were the same but was not entirely sure.  I don't suppose I am actually autistic, but I know people who are and I do get where they're coming from.

Computer and cell phone sales and service people have a way of making me feel really dumb.  They seem not to realise that some of us are mystified by a screen full of symbols with obscure meanings.  And how can we talk about something if we don't have the words for it?

Meanwhile, back to the fray tomorrow. I wonder what gripping assignment awaits me.

Last edited by Annieh on Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:46 am

Today, I am feeling saddened by a student death in one of our university towns.  So needless!!!!!!!!!!!!! Almost the same age as my daughter, could have been any of her friends. Young people can be so foolish, and the results can be tragic.  When will they ever learn?

In response, our prime minister's comments are, in my opinion, pathetic. Reportedly, her thoughts are with the family and the friends of the young woman "affected." What a tame and inadequate word for being crushed to death by a drunken stampede in a stairwell.

She also called it "an extraordinary tragedy". While it is most definitely a tragedy, there is nothing extraordinary - only sad, pointless, preventable and almost predictable given the kind of environment that exists down there. Grrr. I'm getting mad now. Better stop.
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:20 am

Oh that sounds so awful and sad! I'm sorry there were not more appropriate words offered. Sometimes people just say phrases that mean very little, just to be saying something.
tomi1000
tomi1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:52 am

Agree with Tomi.
The one I despise here is the perfunctory "I'm sorry for your loss" quickly followed by "on to biz as usual".
There's also the one you have whenever some a-hole messes you up on something and then offers the one-phrase whitewash of it all with "sorry for any inconvenience."
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Post by ShelleyM on Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:01 am

Hugs
ShelleyM
ShelleyM

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:29 am

Oh my goodness. I had not read about that stampede. Typically we now hear all the terrible news from around the world. What a tragic thing to happen to a young person just starting out. I feel for her family. They are certainly devastated.

ONTARIO

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:07 pm

Rig D wrote:
The one I despise here is the perfunctory "I'm sorry for your loss" quickly followed by "on to biz as usual".
In this case, the phrase being bandied around is, "now is not the time to point the finger" and I am asking, why not? It's well past time to rein in the behaviour that is rife among these students. It's destructive not only to those who immerse themselves in it, but also to those (few) who wish to refrain. My dd has a friend who has given up on her degree altogether and is coming home. Last year, another friend, same story. I'm sure they are just the tip of an iceberg. There's another friend intending to start next year, a gentle homeschooled lass. I can hardly imagine how she might fare.

The disconcerting thing for me is how much the girl who died looks very much like my daughter's friend. I don't know the girl at all, but I am still devastated for her family.
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum