Nutrient Dense Soup

Go down

Nutrient Dense Soup Empty Nutrient Dense Soup

Post by ShelleyM on Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:13 pm

I LOVE soup! Especially for breakfast. I want to make a pot at the beginning of the week and eat on it all week long. What is your nutrient jammed packed favorite soup?
ShelleyM
ShelleyM

Back to top Go down

Nutrient Dense Soup Empty Re: Nutrient Dense Soup

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:57 pm

My husband and I are on the Wahls Protocol which requires 9 cups of veggies per day broken out as 3 cups greens, 3 cups color, and 3 cups sulfurous. I can't really chew - very little solid food for me since May, so soup has been a mainstay and a way to pack in the nutrient density.

I start with a large pot - 8 quarts I think, with a handful of salt and some water over low heat. I shortcut and use "Kettle & Fire bone broth", usually 2 boxes. (It is tasty and has been recommended by some authors I follow, both primal and microbiome writers.) Alternatively, I cook meat first in the soup pan - "sous-vide" method - slow, low heat. I use the water for the soup base, but typically still add at least 1 box of the bone broth as I always need more liquid.

Whether I steam the veggies and then run them through the food processor (pureed soup) or just chop the veggies to small pieces, my soups are always super dense - solid veg with only enough liquid to make them scoopable.
Nutrient Dense Soup Soup210

A friend saw that picture and thought lentil, but it is solid veg. That was a pureed soup, a little more time consuming, but I like these better. The chopped soups don't look all that much different - the greens are just more visible. Chopped is quicker as my food processor is tiny and weak.

Typical ingredients:
2-3 golden beets - peeled and chopped, if the greens look good, I chop and add those too, but later. Red beets work, but the color dominates the soup.
2-3 yams: garnet or jewel, or sweet potatoes - peeled and chopped
1 1/2 red onion chopped
1 leek (I mostly use these when doing a pureed soup as I don't like them as well in chopped soup)
1 bunch of celery chopped. Add the leaves too
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
mushrooms
1 large head of broccoli
1/2 head of cauliflower
Greens - gobs and gobs of greens, all either chopped small or pureed:
- collards
- lacinato kale
- red or green curly kale or a bunch of chard - depends on what looks best in the store
- spinach or other "softer" greens such as mixed lettuce
Garlic - several cloves, to taste. We love garlic, so I add 6-8 cloves, diced

I start with the long cooking veggies first - peeling/chopping and or steaming/processing and adding them to the pot to start cooking. Beets, carrots, potatoes/yams first. Celery next, and onions. Then the broc, cauli, and greens, greens, greens.  Garlic is one of the last items as it is actually rather delicate. I keep adding greens until I really can't fit anything more in the pot, and of course, I add a bit more water or broth as needed to keep it liquified, but not "soupy". I generally add some fat during the long simmer phase - I generally use butter (technically not allowed on Wahls because it is dairy) or pork fat if I have it.

Note: At the moment, we are doing an extended "no nightshades" test, but if we weren't, I'd happily add colored bell peppers and might substitute Yukon gold potatoes for the yams as I like the creaminess goldens give a soup.

Seasonings - this is where there are good choices to be made and honestly, this is what varies the most for me from week to week.
Easy: salt, pepper, thyme, bay leaf
Or: salt, pepper, rosemary
Or: Italian seasonings
Or: chili type seasonings (dried peppers) along with cumin

Once you get it all in the pan, make sure the burner is very low, put a lid on the pan, and let the soup simmer for a good long while to blend the flavors. I set a timer and stir every 20-25 minutes, and I'd say the simmer usually goes on for close to 2 hours.

I don't put meat in the soup, preferring to slice some on the side or maybe dice it up and add it to the container that I carry the soup in when I pack my lunch.

Last edited by Meant2Move on Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typos!)
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:35 pm

Other good additions are:
rutabagas, turnips too, but I prefer the taste of rutabagas to turnips which I find can be bitter
bok choy
cabbage (cooked cabbage gives my husband gas, so I generally don't do this, but I would if not for the gas problem because I like the flavor and the diversity)
squash - hard squashes and soft summer squash such as zucchini
peas, snowpeas
green beans
green onions/scallions
shallots
radish - I don't think these add much flavor to soup for all that I adore them raw, but I figure they surely throw in a good micronutrient or 2. If I have a lot on hand, I add them.
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:38 pm

I'd imagine this can be done in a crock pot and maybe an instant pot. Where I live on a solar system with an older inverter, appliances with a heating element are a no go at our house. Everything is slow cooked on the stove or in the oven.
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:40 am

That soup looks and sounds amazing.
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Post by ShelleyM on Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:49 am

M2M, thank you for the time you put into this post. I appreciate it! I, too, use Kettle & Fire when I am not making my own broth. I'll let you know how it turns out.
ShelleyM
ShelleyM

Back to top Go down

Post by ShelleyM on Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:49 am

Your post inspired me so much, I spent the last 35 minutes or so in the kitchen making soup with what I had on hand. At first, I started making a grocery list and then told myself not to be so uptight about soup! I scrounged up 3 slices of bacon, an onion, 3 cloves of garlic, a Yukon Gold, some broccoli, parsley, kale, and six sad little grape tomatoes. First I sauteed the bacon, onion and kales stems. Next, I browned the potatoes a little and added minced garlic until fragrant. I then added bone broth and when it was all hot again I put in the broccoli. That's where it is now, eventually, I will add the parsley, tomatoes, and kale. Thanks again!
ShelleyM
ShelleyM

Back to top Go down

Post by ShelleyM on Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:19 am

I found carrots in the garden and finished it off with some heavy cream. Yummy! Breakfast and lunches. The parm sprinkle was a bad plan. Too overpowering.

Nutrient Dense Soup Img_0612

Nutrient Dense Soup Img_0611
ShelleyM
ShelleyM

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:05 pm

It looks beautiful, Shelley!

I love that one can just throw whatever is in the fridge or garden into a pot and have something yummy result! And yes, you clearly caught the idea - don't be uptight about it! Use whatever is on hand and make something good that is also good for you.
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:08 pm

Rig D wrote:That soup looks and sounds amazing.

Thanks, Rig!

T has gotten so used to always having a quick and nutritious meal handy that he starts to fret if at the end of the week we are running low!
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:42 pm

Shelley, I'll be right over! That soup looks delicious.

M2M....I think that might be the most nutrient-dense soup I have ever seen. It looks delicious. I hadn't even thought about what you might be eating given your recent facial pain. Eating soup makes a lot of sense.

ONTARIO

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:56 pm

Both of you girls did amazing with your soups. I’m headed your way Smile
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:56 pm

Come and get it!

Soup is such a great way to pack loads of nutrients into a tasty and comforting meal. Admittedly, I still miss my daily salads, but I pack far more good stuff into soup.
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum