To Pay Or Not To Pay - That Is The Question

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Would you like the paid or free version of the forum?

To Pay Or Not To Pay - That Is The Question Bar_left50%To Pay Or Not To Pay - That Is The Question Bar_right 50% 
[ 2 ]
To Pay Or Not To Pay - That Is The Question Bar_left50%To Pay Or Not To Pay - That Is The Question Bar_right 50% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 4

To Pay Or Not To Pay - That Is The Question Empty To Pay Or Not To Pay - That Is The Question

Post by ONTARIO on Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:27 pm

Hello everyone,

So here is the story with the current state of the forum. Forumotion, our host company, has decided that in order to have an ad-free forum WITH our own domain name (primalforums.com) we now have to pay for the forum. I currently pay around $25 a year for the domain name. It is this reason we have been able to access the forum with primalforums.com in the past years. Now, in order to use that website address we have to pay an additional $7 a month to Forumotion. In Canadian dollars, all in, that means the forum would cost around $150 a year.

So, here is the question I pose to you. Do you want a free forum or a paid forum? If you want an ad-free, paid forum with a domain name, are you willing to pay out say, $7-10 a year for it? As we do not have a ton of active members the cost would be around that much per person. Now, that being said, it opens up a whole can of worms in that if a new person comes along do we charge them? Or, do we just collect what we can every November (that is when the domain name gets renewed) from the current members at that time? Do you see what I am thinking here? OR, do we keep the FREE version of the forum and never occupy our mind's space with such things?

I have always claimed that this is not MY forum but OUR forum so I would like your input regarding this decision. I am including a poll for your choices.

ONTARIO

Back to top Go down

To Pay Or Not To Pay - That Is The Question Empty Re: To Pay Or Not To Pay - That Is The Question

Post by Rig D on Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:53 pm

While I'd prefer the domain name & ad free, I think that the headache associated with trying to get the annual fee would be a real pita. I don't mind kicking in some bucks once a year, but...

My biggest concern with going the "no fee" route is if we can be found by someone interested in our approach to life who is not currently with us.

Question: is the new look with the PF header & lots of orange "fee paid" or is it freebie?
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

To Pay Or Not To Pay - That Is The Question Empty Re: To Pay Or Not To Pay - That Is The Question

Post by ONTARIO on Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:06 pm

It's free. I was working on it a bit today. There is still more to do and I have barely touched the mobile version yet.

ONTARIO

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:50 pm

It was a bit shocking to open up and see all the bright colors. Shocked
Pedidoc
Pedidoc

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:30 am

Pedidoc wrote:It was a bit shocking to open up and see all the bright colors. Shocked

Yes, it's a change. I like it. I did the changes. Does your Shocked mean you don't like it?

ONTARIO

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:11 am

ONTARIO wrote:
Pedidoc wrote:It was a bit shocking to open up and see all the bright colors. Shocked

Yes, it's a change. I like it. I did the changes. Does your Shocked  mean you don't like it?

It is very hard on the eyes.
Pedidoc
Pedidoc

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:16 am

Pedidoc wrote:
ONTARIO wrote:

Yes, it's a change. I like it. I did the changes. Does your Shocked  mean you don't like it?

It is very hard on the eyes.

How so? I am asking in an effort to maybe change it some how? I think it's bright and fresh and actually easier to read than the old version.

ONTARIO

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:55 am

It would be nice if you all would stop the unnecessary quoting.. not just in this thread.. after all you're replying to the last message that was posted.. it's specifically mentioned in the rules not to do so. And the nested ones are even worse. Rolling Eyes

If you need another opinion on the Halloween colour scheme:

Perennialpam wrote:Well, the new format/coloring has arrived. Difficult to look at all the red. Sorry for our admins to deal with this if they can.

FWIW: If it ain't broke, why fix it. Very Happy

Then again, sometimes change can be a good thing...
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:01 am

+1 on the nested quotes. If you need to refer to the previous post, just use "^" at the beginning.
I find the quote the quoted quote scenario very tedious.

FWIW, my vote on colors is to put something less bright (?garish) for the main "body" showing the various folders and recent postings.
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:44 pm

There you go...your boring, blue forum is back. So glad I bothered. Rolling Eyes

To Pay Or Not To Pay - That Is The Question 7gf10

Admin
Admin

http://primalforums.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:12 pm

Sorry to annoy with the quotes, I will have to remind myself it is like "reply all" with emails. The colors did not have to be changed - my old eyes probably would have adjusted. I find most things with bright colors difficult on my eyes as I age. I certainly did not mean to drive you to drink... Sad
Pedidoc
Pedidoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:20 pm

Ok, I missed the color change since I didn’t make it here yesterday. Change can be refreshing and maybe a play on the holiday’s would be in order or even the seasons. That way something bright would be around for a short period, but not gone. So with it being fall, maybe an orange or brown, then winter/Christmas maybe blue (snow) and green, then valentines in pink, you get the idea.

As for paid vs free. I am up for either. I have a app on my iPad that will block ads (Ad blocker). However I’m willing to chip in if that’s what everyone wants. If you decide on that, maybe set up a PO Box that we could contribute too w/o giving out your home address? Heck people could even send a gift card for say something like starbucks or walmart etc, then you’re reimbursed without any personal info given out. Mention it each Sept/Oct.

Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:34 pm

I missed the colors too. Oh well.  I like NM's idea if the decision is to go with an annual fee. I'd chip in some money. However, I don't think the ads are much of a problem, so free is fine.
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:50 am

Ontario, you're the founder of the forum, so if you want to change up the colours & layout, by all means, go for it, just like you originally picked the blue and the current layout. Smile Just thought you would appreciate the input as some got confused by your timing and the orange made it difficult to read for some, that's all. You could have simply waited for others to chime in or change the orange to something less bright. Or not. Your call. At least give people a chance to see and get used to it before you take it down again.  Wink

For those of you that did not get the e-mail about the correct address to visit the forum, please go to your Profile and change your Preferences to Allow Newsletters to 'Yes' as that is the only way Ontario can reach you/us all at once. Thank you.
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:34 am

LB, my email address is on the profile and I got no email concerning this. FYI
perennialpam
perennialpam

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:35 am

Sorry Admin about the color complaint.
perennialpam
perennialpam

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:06 am

Could be that the email ended up in your junk or spam folder. That's where my message was. It seems like hotmail/outlooks thinks that anything with more than 5 or 10 recipients is junk. Usually if I drag n drop it from junk to inbox, it fixes things for the long haul on having further messages routed correctly to the inbox.

Ontario, I do think the "basic blue" is much easier on the eyes. I think I would have been OK with the orange, as an adjustment period like Pedidoc says would take place. Hopefully your Halloween wine consumption wasn't too big.
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:19 am

perennialpam wrote:LB, my email address is on the profile and I got no email concerning this.  FYI

PPam, everyone's e-mail address is on the profile.. as it's needed to subscribe..  Smile it's the 2nd one named 'Preferences' that you have to check to get the newsletter that I referred to, the 4th option:

Allow newsletters : Yes
Newsletters are massive e-mails written and sent by this forums Administrators. If set to yes, you will receive them in your e-mail inbox.

Ofcourse it's possible it got caught in your spamfolder, like Rig mentioned.
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by ShelleyM on Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:10 pm

Man, have I missed a lot! I am willing to pay or not. Whatever all decide.
ShelleyM
ShelleyM

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:29 pm

LB, thanks for clarifying where to go to get the emails from Admins.
perennialpam
perennialpam

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:12 am

As a follow up note, the admin emails are pretty rare events.
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:19 am

I'm happy to pay. We should be able to do so via Paypal or somesuch quite easily. I would prefer the no ads version, but of course I will go with whatever gets decided.
The Walrus
The Walrus

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:35 pm

Hi ladies,

The only time I see ads are when I am signed out.  Otherwise my sessions are ad free.  I use Ad Block Plus and Ublock on my browsers.  I would opt for free in my case.
Heuristicfireflower
Heuristicfireflower

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:45 am

Interesting. I may investigate them. Does it work on FB?
perennialpam
perennialpam

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:22 am

BTDT.. http://primalforums.forumotion.com/t175-is-there-a-way-to-turn-off-ads  Smile

FWIW I only get 1 ad at the top of the page, between the header and the rest of the forum, regardless of being logged in or not, not using any blockers at the moment. After deleting forum cookies (bottom of page) and choosing the option in the middle one can deny all cookies from 3rd party advertisers if wanted. When I did so all I got were TopicIt ads at first.. after logging in it was the same as before, random ads for things I never searched for. Have to look into this further when I've got more time. Wink
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum