Post by Lovebird on Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:11 am

Strong FTW

Deep Down & Dirty C809ed10
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Deep Down & Dirty Empty Re: Deep Down & Dirty

Post by Lovebird on Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:22 am

Regarding youngest sis: they only removed the gallstone, not the gallbladder. Yet.

The friend with cancer died 4 weeks after they discovered it, last weekend of September, hence my quietness. Her fighting spirit has been an inspiration for many and she will be missed greatly.

Water issues got solved that Friday. And then they returned yesterday for some final replacement work, which went without any trouble. Smile
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:22 am

Great start to a new journal, LB!
Pedidoc
Pedidoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:33 am

Thanks Pedi. Smile

Since I couldn't ride the bike this week the way I planned to, due to a multitude of reasons, I decided to challenge myself today. Just because. So I came up with a plan: 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1, which are 55 kilometers total, about 34.2 miles (not minutes Wink ), brief pause inbetween to drink some water and back at it. Took me 110 minutes from start to finish.

Very Happy

So now it's time to change things up again. I'll continue riding the bike, that's for sure, as the benefits are huge. Strong legs, which were obvious when I did a 4 minute workout again 2 weeks ago. Remember the tabata video with those 3 girls? How they move so quickly and seemingly effortlessly?

If not, here it is:

I hadn't done any squats for training, just the normal daily movement, and when I got started I couldn't believe at first how fast and deep I could squat all of a sudden without having trained specifically for that. Sure, I expected to get better at endurance, thanks to following the Maffetone method, and leaning out further simply because of added exercise, but this is simply amazing.
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by ShelleyM on Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:41 am

Congrats! I know it feels good when you discover you can do something you couldn't before. Thanks for sharing the video and inspiration. I used to ride a recumbent bike. I think I will ask for one for Christmas and start doing that again.
ShelleyM
ShelleyM

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:30 am

Thanks Shelley.

I won't be doing this kind of exercise though.. just posted it for reference/reminder.. not sure about the impact on the knees, bouncing up and down like that. Plus you can clearly see their knees go past their toes when they come down... a guarantee for trouble & pain at some point. I'd rather take the slow and steady route, although one might think otherwise when reading about my speedier rides. Albeit 30 kilometers per hour isn't that slow to begin with.. which is my normal average these days, when not trying to improve my PBs. Smile

Might cut back to 10 miles per day, so about a half hour ride again, instead of the current 17.1 km average that I've managed so far over the months. We'll see about that as I need to plan what exactly to add and when, for improving upper body strength.

I do like the 'movement snacks' during the day, like the 4 minute workout, however riding the bike for 30 minutes has a different effect on the body than riding it for 5 minutes 6 times. Sure, it's movement and not worthless, just not the same.
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:04 pm

I'd rather take the slow and steady route, although one might think otherwise when reading about my speedier rides. Albeit 30 kilometers per hour isn't that slow to begin with.. which is my normal average these days, when not trying to improve my PBs

Those gals are going at an insane speed. I also support the slow and steady approach. Your speed on the bike seems quite fast to me.
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:33 pm

boy - those girls are not going to like the impact on their joints if they keep that up! Impressive for stamina - but the form and speed are probably not good.

So sorry about your friend passing. I have wondered why you've been quiet.
tomi1000
tomi1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:43 pm

Welcome to your new journal.

So sorry to hear about your friend. Definitely time for quiet.

Happy to hear your water cleared up fairly quickly.

Congrats on that ladder bike ride. Sounds tough. And yes we gain strength where we don’t think about.

Yes, the form on those girls was appalling. It will come back to bite them. Slow and steady wins the race.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:33 am

Thanks Rig, Tomi and NM.

Yes, slow and steady wins the race... says the person that's already at 249 kilometers for the month as of today..  Very Happy I like to plan 3 to 5 rides a week depending on time available and so far that works for me. The scale informs me that I'm 8 kilos lighter, so 17.6 pounds, sans any dieting and definitely stronger as well. Quite a nice return on investment.

Not all fun and games though... as the metal bench I sat on last week, waiting for the train to arrive, was very uncomfortable, due to a lack of padding.. muscle isn't as compensating as fat was. Guess I'll have to take a cushion with me next time or simply not sit. Laughing
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:02 am

Yes, I hear you on less padding. Also makes winter a bit colder as well. Smile

Congrats on your current mileage already for the month and the nice weight drop as well.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:11 am

Laughing Yeah, bears are a lot smarter than humans, fattening up before winter to prepare for hibernation, instead of working their ass off to get (back) in shape...

https://explore.org/livecams/brown-bears/brown-bear-salmon-cam-brooks-falls

which ofcourse brings up the question: if brown bears get fat (on purpose) due to eating lots of salmon, how come people are supposed to get lean on meat only? Wink

Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:04 pm

Interesting question............... Very Happy
tomi1000
tomi1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:11 am

No doubt anyone could/would get lean when limiting choice to 1 item, preferably protein rich, as appetite would go down and only hunger would play a role in determining how much and how often one eats.. no matter how tasty that item may be at first. Smile

Rode the bike for 37 kilometers in 70 minutes today.. close enough to 20 miles per hour for me. Very Happy

Just finished my first meal of the day, at lunch time, some of yesterday's homemade chicken soup with fresh LC paleo biscuits:

Deep Down & Dirty Foto0710

Recipe is from Paleorunningmomma.com

"Ingredients
One-Bowl Low Carb Biscuits:

1 1/2 cup blanched almond flour
1/4 cup coconut flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp fine grain sea salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
6 Tbsp ghee or grass fed butter, melted
6 Tbsp coconut milk full fat
2 large eggs whisked

Instructions

Preheat your oven to 350° (175C) and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large mixing bowl, stir together all the dry ingredients. Make a well in the center of the dry mixture and add in the butter, coconut milk and eggs. Stir until well combined and smooth. Chill the mixture in the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes.

Using an ice cream scoop, scoop 1/4 cups of batter on the prepared baking sheet at least 2” apart. I made 8 biscuits. Bake in the preheated oven for 15-18 minutes or until light golden brown. Serve right away with the soup."

I only got 6 and a tiny one from the batch, the scoop being 6 cm in diameter and finished biscuits 7. Could be because the eggs were medium instead of large... the biscuits are rather filling.
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by ShelleyM on Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:24 am

Looks yummy!
ShelleyM
ShelleyM

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:39 pm

Those biscuits look yummy! Biscuits have long been a favorite comfort food at our house - will definitely have to give those a try!

I hear you on the lack of padding and the narrower comfort range. I've started toting a sweater with me far more often than I ever used to!

I am very sorry about the loss of your friend. Hugs to you!
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:54 pm

Your lunch looked devine.  I too need to try those biscuits.  I’ve missed biscuits with soup.

Congrats on your ride.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:00 am

Thanks Shelley, Claire and Sue.

The biscuits were best right from the oven as they were soft and crumbly the next day. They did remind me of the almond bread I used to make, which was pretty good too and just as easy, however needed a much longer oven time, hence not as convenient, but definitely still good the next days. Smile

Yesterday I rode the bike for 62 minutes, 33 kilometers, which is exactly 20 miles per hour on average, albeit slower start and finish as advised. Had to keep an eye on pulse though, and adjust speed down accordingly, which could be due to not enough sleep, as usually it's pretty easy to stay at/below Maffetone range.

Made a pan of tomato soup yesterday, with fresh meatballs, as DS is coming over for the weekend and he really likes it, more than any other homemade soup.

Picked up fresh groceries this morning, dropped off some clothes that sparked no more joy for being too large. Still some more KMing to do.

The link to the AHS19 videos can be found in Sharperhawks thread.

For those that need inspiration for paleo casseroles and therefore without gluten/dairy etc. here's the link again that I posted in M2M's journal quite a while ago: https://paleogrubs.com/casserole-recipes

Hope everyone will have an enjoyable weekend. Hugs.
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:35 am

Thank you for all the sharing you do; music, diet, exercise.

You are a remarkable person, LB
perennialpam
perennialpam

Back to top Go down

Post by ShelleyM on Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:55 am

+1 Smile Enjoy the rest of the day!
ShelleyM
ShelleyM

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:06 pm

Nice ride.

I too appreciate all you share. you are a true blessing.

Have a wonderful evening with DS.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:28 am

Thank you for all you do to help the forum run smoothly and to ensure the group has up to date information as well as entertainment. I hope you are having a fantastic weekend.
Pedidoc
Pedidoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:15 am

perennialpam wrote:Thank you for all the sharing you do; music, diet, exercise.  

You are a remarkable person, LB

You're welcome and thank you very much PPam. Smile

Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:17 am

ShelleyM wrote:+1 Smile Enjoy the rest of the day!

Narrowminded wrote:Nice ride.

I too appreciate all you share.  you are a true blessing.

Have a wonderful evening with DS.

Pedidoc wrote:Thank you for all you do to help the forum run smoothly and to ensure the group has up to date information as well as entertainment. I hope you are having a fantastic weekend.

Thank you Shelley, Sue and Kathi. You're making me blush..
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:30 am

On Saturday, while I was cleaning Brussel sprouts, movement outside caught my eye.. something different than a bird and larger than a mouse.. turned out it was a tiny brown/black squirrel running from the left to the right and back in front of the glass doors, stopping in between to check/sniff and proceed. It kept doing that for quite a while, looking inside and then it jumped into the Viburnum bush to the left and from there onto the flat roof above my head.. so up I went to check and it seemed to disappear into the direction of the nearby park (the one I cross when going to the vet), which is good. As I got down again and proceeded with the Brussels, it showed up again, making me reminisce the fact that when I was young there were only red squirrels to be seen in the forest/park, just like a few years after buying the house seeing one run up the birch and vanish into the next garden.. this time it left to the other side, onto the neighbours flat roof. Haven't seen it since.. hope it's okay..

Edited to include link to article which has a picture of the brown/black one as well: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_squirrel

Haven't watch many episodes of AHS19 yet, just this one, which was interesting:

Weekend was good. Brussels got paired with pork tenderloin and potato gratin. Smile

Last edited by Lovebird on Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum