Primal Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Weight FINALLY "falling off."

5 posters

Go down

Weight FINALLY "falling off." Empty Weight FINALLY "falling off."

Post by OnTheBayou Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:55 am

Started this round of weight loss in the last week of April. I weighed "in the low 240's".  Coming up was a trip to Colorado at the end of July.  I was to officiate my granddaughter's wedding and I wanted to wear my preferred suit.  And I would be seeing The Love of My Life, Carol, again.  (Two years previously when I was last in CO, I was able to brag, "I weigh the same as when we were dating."  25 years ago.  She couldn't say it.  What a snark!)

Anyway, through May, June, and early July, it was a slow slog.  Very discouraging. My records show carbs were not terribly low, 100+ most days, but not exactly SAD. Calories around 2000, which is barely above BMR for me. In late July, a week before leaving, influenced by Shawn Baker and others in the carnivore movement, I decided to slash my carbs further.  Only "tag along" carbs in yogurt, for instance, an occasional bread slice for tuna or egg salad, and what I won't give up, my salsas and roasted green chile's.  Carbs were 20-25% of my calories to this point.

BTW, my FBS had drifted down from 115-120 to hovering around 100, some mornings way lower. Nice.

On my trip I had store bought precooked bacon and summer sausage to snack on the drive.  There was no way I could maintain a strict diet during the trip, but I tried to lean towards more meat and forcing myself to live with hunger as much as possible.  Despite many Sausage Egg McMuffins and smothered breakfast burritos, I actually lost over a pound on the trip!  Ten or so days.

I discovered that by slashing my carbs....................I was a lot less hungry.  And I was able to cut my caloric intake by 300-400 calories, more than the carb restriction itself.  Fats ticked up a bit, as did my already ample protein.

Exercise? Who needs stinking exercise?  Actually, I was pedaling a lot while I was plateau'ed. I've not been on the bike in almost a month now, although I recently started resistance training again.

A month ago today I weighed 232.6 pounds when I decided to slash the carbs. In only six days, 227.6 just prior to my trip departure! This morning, 222.8.  Ten pounds in one month, "off diet" pretty much for ten days, and no exercise! Several times I shot right through a given poundage, like the 223's. I know from a lot of experience that 8 pounds a month was about as good as I ever did, and that was with a LOT of pedaling.

And if we ignore those ten days and one pound loss, that 9 pounds in 21 days or .4 pound a day, 12 pounds a month!

I am eating literally 94% animal products as a percentage of calories.

Carnivory.  It's what for dinner. And breakfast.  And lunch.  And snacks......my own precooked bacon and hard boiled eggs always handy.

BTW, my FBG these last two days were 85 and 87.  Could be the Acetyl L-Carnitine I just started, but that's another posting.

OnTheBayou

Back to top Go down

Weight FINALLY "falling off." Empty Re: Weight FINALLY "falling off."

Post by Rig D Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:39 am

Good to see you post again OTB. Congrats on finding a way to make it work for you, hope your success so far will continue and you can hang on to the benefits.

I've read about the carnivore thing, just don't think that is a direction I want to go, though. DW and I are looking at doing some carb cutting again to get back into the 50-100 cycle, we are in that range frequently but have too many days where we aren't.
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:01 am

Good to see you OTB and interesting what works for you. Not sure I could tolerate carnivore WOE. I need some variety, but heck that’s me. Loss may be slower, but I’ll deal.

Like Rig, I shoot for 75gm carbs per day when I record, but haven’t been doing a lot of that, so I don’t “know” where I’m at, I can only guesstimate.

Good luck on continued success.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by OnTheBayou Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:45 am

Hey, "guys." Besides the occasional post, I check in every now and then, just haven't seen much that wasn't the same old.

There is plenty of variety to be had with an all animal diet. I was amazed at how quickly I didn't miss my plant foods. I think a lot of it is habit, including the shopping. Almost all carbs come from plant foods, of course, so eliminating almost all plant foods is the logical way of reducing them.

While I don't have any health problems on the scale of Mikhaila Peterson or others, I DO find myself, quite subjectively of course, feeling better. I have a suspicion that a lot of what we consider normal health is normal.........when you eat plants.

I have also noticed a definite and significant increase in testosterone, or at least its utilization.

Third day in a row of FBG of around 85. Damn!

OnTheBayou

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:54 am

Hey, how are you? Nice to see you again!

Congrats on finding what works for you. I'm with Narrowminded in that I will take a slower loss and be happier in the sense of not feeling deprived and unhappy. But, hey, it sounds like none of that is happening to you so, great!

I also count carbs from time to time. It's a good thing to do as they so easily sneak back up.

ONTARIO

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:24 am

OTB I’m happy you are finding variety. Unfortunately I live where meat variety is slim. I get bored and I’m eating plants with my meats. Just can’t get a lot of what others can other places.

Unless I know someone who hunts, no venison, no elk, no bison, and the list goes on.

What can I find? Beef various forms, pork - various forms, chicken, turkey and some fish. I can get liver. Never see heart or tongue etc. It’s a hard place to even eat primal, sadly
Narrowminded
Narrowminded
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by OnTheBayou Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:14 am

Well, I WAS thinking of "various forms" as variety! Within each animal type. Pork chops, bacon, scrapple, sausage. All from pigs alone. And then there is dairy and eggs. Plenty of variety!

I think the whole "nose to tail" thing is overblown and historically inaccurate. Whether observing modern H-G groups, or reading the journals of Europeans first in the plains and west, it's obvious that they do NOT care about eating everything unless in food deprivation.

In fact, muscle meats in game are often so tough that they are ignored or fed to the dogs. Deposits of fat, the liver, the brain and marrow are the desired "cuts."

And we now have people who have eaten nothing but muscle meat for decades, like Joe and Charlene Anderson. Nothing but rib eye steaks for twenty years, ten years for their kids. All healthy and fit to die for. OK, want, not die.

I'm not going the all muscle meat route, I like having eggs and dairy and my salsas. But I no longer worry if I am getting enough heart or brain or whatever.

OnTheBayou

Back to top Go down

Post by OnTheBayou Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:25 am

Update: Man, I have got this dialed in!  Losing .5 pound a day for the last 7 days and that includes two upticks.  Almost all animal foods, 50-70 grams of carbs, 1800 calories target max. Yesterday I hit 105 grams because of a family lunch at a Mexican restaurant.  I found barbecoa by the pound and ordered half a pound!  Paleo yummie but I decided to use the three tortillas it came with.

As my protein runs 160-220 grams, I presume I'm not losing muscle.  The weight machines seem to confirm this.  No exercise, yet losing weight at almost double my historic results when I spent hours and hours on my bike.

I wonder if some of this is due to the Acetyl L-Carnitine I'm taking. At the molecular level it definitely increase the use of lipids over glucose for your mitochondria. Research of ALC or LC for weight loss is very mixed. Well, I'm NOT going to stop taking it to find out. And, oh, my fasting blood sugars have plummeted. Fifteen to twenty points. Improved insulin response is an undisputed result of LC.

OnTheBayou

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:45 pm

OTB....this is awesome! You've certainly found your sweet spot (or, NOT so "sweet" spot 😁 ).

ONTARIO

Back to top Go down

Post by OnTheBayou Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:51 pm

ONTARIO wrote:OTB....this is awesome! You've certainly found your sweet spot (or, NOT so "sweet" spot 😁 ).

Thanks!

OnTheBayou

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:36 am

Impressive results. Could you expand some on how your "How do I feel" meter is reading, from what you've said it sounds like your bod is doing a good bit better, but can you talk some on energy levels, sleep quality, etc?

Lastly, how is your wardrobe doing? With all that weight rolling off I would think you might be soon needing some new clothes.

Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:16 pm

You will be wearing that favourite suit in no time.

I agree that cutting the carbs deals to the hunger. Unfortunately, for me, it also leads to cranky moods. So I am willing to do it for short time if I am serious to cut a few pounds, but not indefinitely.

Keep up the good work, and do it for you, not just to spite Carol.
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down