The weather

Go down

The weather Empty The weather

Post by ekba on Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:37 pm

So, is taking whatever weather comes your way Primal? It would seem that it should be, but I am sitting on the back porch with 97F temperature and 76F dew point and it is pretty gross.

V and Daisy are concerned that I have lost my mind. I am making do with a mostly ice adult beverage and the voice of my great grandmother in my head that “it’s a nice breeze blowin’” (it’s not).

How about you? If you are in eastern North America it has been the worst weekend of the summer. Should we embrace it or retreat to the air conditioned indoors?
ekba
ekba

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The weather Empty Re: The weather

Post by Vh67 on Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:51 pm

You have lost your mind but there may be something to spending time outside in the heat that helps you tolerate whatever weather comes your way. I wonder if growing up in it makes it easier to tolerate. I hate sweating if I am not doing something to cause me to sweat. Living most of my life in a dry climate, this is a new experience. You have to be constantly drinking fluids since after two minutes, even my legs were sweating. I do think that ac has made us softer, but I am ok with that!

Vh67
Vh67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:21 pm

Oh yeah, it's Primal! Maybe not comfy, but definitely Primal. Very Happy

Having grown up in the deep south, from Fl Gulf coast through Ga and NC I can say that the hot and humid is something that your body will acclimatize to, but it takes a good while for it to happen, expect a year min if you are a yank moving south. Moving from the heat to the cold "nawth" is maybe more traumatic but doesn't seem to take as long to be able to put up with. My great dislike of Deeeeetroit is largely due to the abysmal climate there, where my first summer I had to wear a sweater every evening to stay warm, and a categorize Michigan's famous "4 seasons" as Winter, Spring, Fall, Ridiculous.

At least here in Ohio and points north, the intensity of the sun is not as big a factor as it is in Florida and along the Gulf coast. I was friends with a guy who moved to Ft. Lauderdale from Lost Angeles and he ignored warnings about the sun since he was then about 500 mi further south than LA. He ignored the warnings and ended up with a sunstroke from doing roof repair. Sun-brellas and sombreros are worthwhile things to have, at minimum is a ball cap.

The last week or so here in Dayton has been very much like a good summer day down south. Temps in the low 90's and high humidity all make for uncomfortable days and the nights haven't given the normal drop into the mid 60's, allowing you to use open windows and fans to cool things down at night. It is all AC or nothing

The more you sit in an air conditioned space, the tougher it is to get outside in the heat and effectively handle it. There is a reason that many old south homes have very high ceilings and lots of windows and most everyone had a screened porch (front or back, sometimes both) so you could sit in the shade and enjoy the breeze while keeping the mosquitoes away. That's also a reason why the stereotype slow moving, slow talking southern "bumpkin" is so prevalent. Even if you are a hard charging Type A personality, it is hard in the constant, draining heat. Also a reason why the Mexicans had a noon time siesta, as well as why some of the southern European countries have(or at least had) long, lazy lunch periods.
Rig D
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:57 am

Of course it's primal.  I can say this happily, as the weather coming my direction today was just about perfect for what I wanted to do.  

My climate is so moderate it's almost ridiculous.  In the past 12 months the maximum temperature has ranged from 13-22C (55-71F)  Actually, I think it felt like quite a bit more than that, but we begin to melt if it gets up near 30 (86F).  It's midwinter now and we are getting down to a chilly 9C at night (48F), while in summer it didn't drop below 17 (62F) which can make it difficult to sleep, haha.

Humidity fluctuates wildly from 73-80%. It rains on many days (11-21 each month) which can get tiresome sometimes, and we get maybe 50-100mm of rain most months. Last September was dry with only 16mm, and April was especially wet with 266mm.  It has snowed once in my lifetime (55years) so far.

I absolutely think it's ok if you retreat indoors after embracing as much or as little of the environment as you desire.  I'm sure Grok would have found the coolest cave he could in summer, and made it as cosy as possible in winter.

Last edited by Annieh on Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:26 am; edited 2 times in total
Annieh
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:15 am

on a perfect midwinter day. I had to drive half an hour and walk another 90 minutes up the mountainside to find beautiful ice and snow.

Last edited by Annieh on Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Annieh
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:23 pm

I agree that AC will make you soft. I notice it a lot now. Our first house didn’t have AC, of course I was in my 20’s as well, but I didn’t overly mind it.

Now after 2 homes and 30 years of AC, the heat/humidity really take a tole.

Is dealing with it primal, absolutely. Grok didn’t have AC but as Annie mentioned, if possible probably found a cool cave or at least a well treed area to hid in.

Narrowminded
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:05 am

Maybe. I can see how there would be a correlation between a constant ability to stay in a temperature controlled environment to being non-primal. I, for one, couldn't care less if I had A/C. Sure, it gets hot sometimes and it's pretty humid but turn on a fan and I'm pretty much okay with it. Or, I can find a shady spot to sit and read. It's bearable. If anything, I find summers to be even colder inside because everyone has their damned air conditioning cranked. I wear a sweater pretty much every day of the year. One thing I will never understand is why, in winter, someone can set their thermostat to 74 and go with it but once it's summer it has to be down to 65. It doesn't make sense. We are losing our ability to acclimate.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:41 am

Smile Ontario, your comment reminds me of my consulting assignments in New Yuck Shi**y. In the winter, all the buildings were around 80 and in the summer they felt like they were in the 60's. One of many reasons I was quite out of place in the big city.

FWIW--In the summer, our AC is normally set around 78, in the winter the heat is at 65.
Rig D
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:07 pm

I have to say my settings on my thermostat are fairly close to Rig’s. 76 summer and 68 winter. If I’m here alone, it would be 66 in the winter. However, DH couldn’t handle it in his last years and DD always freezes.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:32 pm

Rig D wrote:Smile Ontario, your comment reminds me of my consulting assignments in New Yuck Shi**y. In the winter, all the buildings were around 80 and in the summer they felt like they were in the 60's. One of many reasons I was quite out of place in the big city.

FWIW--In the summer, our AC is normally set around 78, in the winter the heat is at 65.

See, this I understand because it is done in an effort to save energy. But the other way around is counterintuitive.

My perfect temperature is about 74 degrees all year round. I think I am perfect for the state of Georgia or northern Florida. California would do, I guess. Wink

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vh67 on Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:07 pm

Ontario, 74f in California is very, very different from 74f Florida or Georgia. The humidity makes the temps ion the east coast feel much warmer than the dry temps in California. E thought I was crazy when I suggested he bring a jacket or long sleeves, in case it was windy but he was glad he listened to me. I do love 74F in California but I would miss winter.
Vh67
Vh67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum