Moving Forward Toward Better Health - Part 5

Page 25 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 32 ... 40  Next

Go down

Moving Forward Toward Better Health - Part 5 - Page 25 Empty Re: Moving Forward Toward Better Health - Part 5

Post by perennialpam on Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:06 am

The dumbing down of America. This is what people said long ago when calculators were first introduced. I agree. In so many other ways people are losing grips with life in general. Like me: I do not even know many people's phone numbers by heart. I have dumbed down too.

I know the wait is difficult....keep positive.
perennialpam
perennialpam

Back to top Go down

Moving Forward Toward Better Health - Part 5 - Page 25 Empty Re: Moving Forward Toward Better Health - Part 5

Post by Pedidoc on Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:34 am

Thanks, PPam.
Pedidoc
Pedidoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:38 am

Sleep: lights off at 9 and up at 8, but fitbit only recorded 5 hours. I know I slept better than that, because I do not have any long awake periods that I remember.

This morning I need to get the grading done and grades posted. DH has his workshop and I will take stuff to work on for the 3 hour presentation.

Dinner with Felix and parents.
Pedidoc
Pedidoc

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:04 pm

I too am praying for positive results.........

I think you are right not to allow calculators. In a work setting where time is important - pulling out a calculator may not be an option.
tomi1000
tomi1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:38 pm

Well the issue is that in today’s HS and even well before that, they teach the calculator, they don’t teach math anymore. However, there are still some colleges around here that do not permit them. They should be able to do simple math unaided. If they can learn what it takes to be and RN, MSN, DNP, they are smart enough to do math w/o a calculator.

Maybe your Fitbit wasn’t getting your HR for part of it, which would account for lost sleep time.

Praying for good results on Tues.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:47 pm

Thanks, Tomi and NM. I will take all the prayer I can get.

I got all the grading done and can say that I do not think it was math that failed them, it was failure to set up problems correctly and/or the failure to recognize that the answer did not make sense given the question.

That is an idea about the Fitbit, NM.

I did not get everything I would like done but did get the most important stuff done.

Pedidoc
Pedidoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:48 pm

Dinner was good. Felix is no longer a toddler-preschooler. He is definitely acting more like a school age child. He was thrilled to see us and spent a ton of time with DH.

Moving Forward Toward Better Health - Part 5 - Page 25 Img_3111
Pedidoc
Pedidoc

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:13 am

Felix = big change. So nice to see this cutie growing up! Thanks.
perennialpam
perennialpam

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:46 am

I'm for no calculator. IMO it is too easy to let the calculator do all the "thinking". Especially with math, I want to see that the person knows how to set up and execute the problem. There's nothing so frustrating to me than to be at a retail shop where the cashier can't make change without having the 'puter for a crutch. And way too many can't estimate and extrapolate costs, quantities, etc. without having the hand held computer at their side. And I feel much the same way about those who can only navigate from A to B using their cell phone's capabilities, even reading a map is becoming a lost art.
As my Dad used to say "you will never go broke by underestimating the intelligence of the average American".
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:32 am

Thanks, PPam. Seems like just yesterday when he was living with us. I think we will get him for a week or so after Quin is born since we know it will be a c-section.

Counting back change is a lost art, Rig. I love the baffled looks when I give them the penny or change needed to avoid a bunch of pennies or to go to an all paper money return. They have no clue what to do.
Pedidoc
Pedidoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:39 am

Sleep 7-18, awake 1-17, REM 1-43, light 5-8, Deep 27m. FitBit says this is a 76 or Fair in their new sleep scoring. I am on the fence about the scoring, but do agree I could have used more deep sleep.

Today is a full day of conference. I am doing several speaker introductions in return for getting the conference paid for. I have a conference call in the afternoon with the Provost, CFO, and our contracted partners for the 2 online nursing programs. I have no idea what it is about.

Legislative dinner tonight, so I will get to see and spend time with NP friends.
Pedidoc
Pedidoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:25 am

Agreed on counting back change. They look like deers in the headlights.

Hopefully all your meetings went well and you can relax a bit this weekend.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:07 pm

Meetings went okay - it is always hard to tell when you are on the phone. Had a good time with friends last night.

Have two podium presentations back to back this afternoon. I need to finish getting ready after I finish typing this.

Nothing on the agenda for tonight. I plan on relaxing.
Pedidoc
Pedidoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:25 am

Hope you had a good nights sleep after all of your craziness yesterday.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:03 pm

Sleep 8-14, awake 2-29, REM 1-17, light 5-43, deep 1-24 SS 74 (fair per Fitbit) but pretty good for me. I knew I woke up every hour the first 4 hours of sleep.

Presentations went well. I have been asked to do the vaping presentation at the spring conference, which is a by invitation only for presentations. After the 2md one, I came up to my room and crashed for about 2 hours. Went and had a relaxing dinner with my kindle.

Finished up conference, packed, and getting ready to check out and drive home.

DH is at the football game and will not be home, so I probably will pick up a salad on my way home for dinner.
Pedidoc
Pedidoc

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:18 pm

Now that the conference is over - do you get to go see Philip?
tomi1000
tomi1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:07 pm

tomi1000 wrote:Now that the conference is over - do you get to go see Philip?  

I am flying out Friday late afternoon an staying 8 days.
Pedidoc
Pedidoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:14 pm

Well I had quite the adventure coming home. Everything was going okay until I stated getting all kinds of warning messages on the car. I found a safe place on the side of the road to pull over because the engine overheating light came on and I lost all power. Called AAA and waited 2 hours for a tow truck. I have 200 free miles of towing, so we loaded up the car and he drove me to the dealer I use for service by the campus since it was 136 miles. Then I ubered home from the dealership. What should have been a 3 hour door to door trip took me just about 7 hours. I have not said anything to DH yet, because I do not want to ruin his time at the game and frankly there was nothing he could have done to help. I am disappointed in SWMO as I texted I didn't think I'd make it in tomorrow and all I got was whining about everything she had to do. I have a list also, I am not sure why she feels so put upon.
Pedidoc
Pedidoc

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:12 am

I...can....not...stand....SWMO and I haven't ever met her. Evil or Very Mad She is completely self-absorbed. How do you not want to strangle her on a daily basis?

I'm glad you're going to get to finally see Phillip. That will be a moment to remember. Will you get to hold him? Do they allow that for him, yet?

I'm sending you good wishes and vibes for your appointment tomorrow.

ONTARIO

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:44 am

ONTARIO wrote:I...can....not...stand....SWMO and I haven't ever met her. Evil or Very Mad  She is completely self-absorbed. How do you not want to strangle her on a daily basis?

I'm glad you're going to get to finally see Phillip. That will be a moment to remember. Will you get to hold him? Do they allow that for him, yet?

I'm sending you good wishes and vibes for your appointment tomorrow.

There are days that I reach my limit very quickly. Philip has been doing kangaroo care (skin to skin holding) for a few weeks. I think I will be able to hold him. Thank you for the good wishes/vibes. I will be glad to know the results one way or the other.
Pedidoc
Pedidoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:47 am

Sleep: 5-32, awake 1-6, REM 1-9, light 3-34, deep 49m SS 62. I am tired and I do not want to do anything.

Spoke to the shop about the car and they think it might be the alternator, which would be better than the transmission!

I've had one conference call today and I'm betting on at minimum another since I have decided it is stupid to try and go into campus. Honestly there is nothing that needs doing that I cannot do from home.
Pedidoc
Pedidoc

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:35 pm

I agree with Ontario!  I don't like her either!  She should NEVER have been put in this high of a position.  You are amazing for holding your tongue!  Bummer on the car - but at least you won't have to see her today!

So happy you will be going to see Philip and family in a just a few days.
tomi1000
tomi1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:56 pm

Thanks, Tomi. Car should be ready by tomorrow 11.
Pedidoc
Pedidoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:46 pm

So sorry about your very long ride home. Those days are ones better not remembered.

Those people drive me crazy and the only thing that keeps me biting my tongue is the thought I might say something I’ll regret.

Hope you sleep better tonight and that the car is again in working order when you pick it up.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:59 pm

Thanks, NM.
Pedidoc
Pedidoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 25 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 32 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum