AutumnTiger starting over

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Re: AutumnTiger starting over

Post by AutumnTiger on Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:19 am

Unhappy digestion this morning. Not quite as hungry today when I woke up, so had breakfast a bit later. Two hard boiled eggs and a banana - first time I have felt pain in my back since I started the meds. Maybe the eggs were too cold, which is a yeast infection issue so I've read, but I don't know about how cold food affects acid.
Didn't have a snack and then coughed after lunch, also for the first time since the meds.
Lunch as essentially the same as yesterday, so I'm a bit confused. The minor variation was pan heating the chicken with a bit of coconut oil as opposed to using the microwave yesterday. Also, the olive oil I used on the salad was slightly different.
All the above are very small margins, but I'm just trying to keep track.

Not sure why I am supposed to be snacking. Presumably to distribute my calories more evenly to avoid overloading my stomach. Perhaps, too, to keep calories up and prevent hunger - this does feel like any other LFHC diet! Finally, not sure if it keep the acid in my stomach busy, and working. Although that doesn't tally with then having at least twelve hours food free to prevent acid rising at night.
Still reading the original book and lots more to think about and learn.
Must note: FODMAP. Something came up yesterday that makes this worthy of further investigation in relation to my condition.
AutumnTiger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:52 am

I finally checked out a FODMAP list. It is a long one; longer than I originally thought.

Hope you find out what your issue is AT.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:24 pm

Good going with recording what you are eating to try a pond ferret out the culprit(s) to your issue. It will take time to heal as this didn’t happen overnight, even though it seemed like it. Hang in there, you’ve got this.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnTiger on Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:50 am

/quietly sneaks back in the room

All is roughly under control at Tiger Towers, just continuing to have more to do and want to do then there will ever be time for. Much "free" time has been spent trying to work out what I can eat with fewest symptoms, not to mention the inevitable "squeeze in as much hockey as possible before the end of the season" game that DH likes to play at this time of year.
What other time there has been has been spent with DH. We have spent time round the dinner table chatting after meals and watched a couple of films this week. Smile

The acid watching diet (Jonathan Aviv) continues - mostly successfully - but healing will take time. I've experienced some recurrence of the annoying lump in throat feeling, which seems to have occurred following dinner out on Wednesday (hockey away match).

Further reading has revealed that maybe I should finish that course of PPI medication after all. Apparently twelve weeks is a recommended course to help accelarate healing, and six months is not uncommon. At the very least I'll finish my 28-day course and then review.

Some additional reading is revealing other potential pitfalls, there is some overlap with acid symptoms, but more is about general inflammation. The book is The Plant Paradox by Steven R. Gundry. Its got some pretty interesting information about plants defensive strategies that cause inflammation - mostly due to lectins, all sorts of lectins not just gluten.

The problem with both approaches is that they contain items already ruled out by other n=1 experiences.
Plant Paradox would allow onions, garlic, vinegar and lemon, which are all on the dirty dozen list for acid watchers.
Acid watching still pushes whole grains. Interestingly, Plant Paradox actually takes a paleo/primal stance on grains, although says if you must have them then go white.
Add in candida, and another major flare that left me soothing the burning with baby wipes tucked into my armpits for 36 hours, and the safe food list remains fairly limited.

On the whole though there is progress, and it is very welcome.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In other news: we had hockey away mid-week this week, and tonight we are attending the end of season awards night. The season finale for our team, who are not going to the playoffs, is next weekend. Our final home game is on Saturday and we are travelling to the away game in Cardiff - who are the league champions - on Sunday.
Our hockey fix wont quite be over though as we are attending a GB game at our rink a couple of weeks later, and a couple of weeks after that there is a charity hockey match with players from all teams making up the North v South competition.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job hunting is also a major feature of the current agenda. After a couple of false starts, mainly DH encouraging me to follow the money, I have found some areas to focus on.

I'm also on a 30+day streak of language learning. I am using Duolingo for Dutch, which is the closest I can get to Flemish, for our visit to Belgium in the summer.

Speaking of Belgium, it looks like this trip will be just DH and myself as B has asked to go to a festival on the weekend we are going. Part of the problem of having to book holidays so far in advance. He is being allowed to go because he will then spend the remainder of the week with his grandparents. Being in rented accommodation we wont take the risk of leaving a 17-year old home alone. While it may not be their intention to have too many people round, annoy the neighbours and/or trash the house, we can't risk the situation getting out of hand.
Anyway, a week away together will certainly be a treat for DH and me. We'd already had lots of good ideas about what we want to do, and some of those trips will be much easier without B.

Before that though, and desperately needed, it is just two weeks until our first week off of the year. We are going over to stay in the cottage next to my in-laws, and as it will be Easter, I am sure we will spend some time with them. But weather permitting we hope to get some day trips in, up to the coast and to one of the National Trust properties over there.

Just need the sun to make an appearance now, and then the healing can really crack on.
Not forecast for any time in the next week, and we have a light dusting of snow at the moment.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Oh, and I have started Postcrossing again, and yesterday received my first two cards in a very long time Smile
AutumnTiger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:23 am

AT - its great to see you! Wow you’ve been a busy girl.

I would definitely finish out the PPI. I too hate to take meds, but sometimes they are necessary. Def avoid things you know don’t work for you and maybe slow test those others that are possible recommendations. If you have the chance, check out Dr. Amy Myer’s, Autoimmune Solution. Good tips in there and some awesome recipes that would fit for the Candida protocol and still fit the acid one as well

So sorry your hockey team won’t be in the playoffs. Ours is going, not sure how long they’ll last if our top Goal Tender isn’t back from his concussion.

Great job with duo lingo. I have to get back to that. I use it for Spanish due to my DIL’s family. I do well for a while and then that falls to the bottom of the priority list.

Sound like Belgium will be a nice trip for you and DH. Can’t wait to hear all about it on your return.

What is Postcrossing? Never heard of that.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnTiger on Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:16 am

Morning folks!

It's been a while. I am still figuring out this reflux thing and it has involved experiments that were not very primal - I couldn't read all about a lifestyle that I so desperately wanted to emulate but that no longer made me feel well.

I seem to have done what I needed to do to get back to having about 80% control of what is going on, but the downsides of the increased carb/grain consumption have now started outweighing the benefits - mainly a return of lethargy and some serious mood swings to go with the energy rollercoaster - and I feel ready to get primal again.

There are still a lot of primal foods that are on the no-go list: including most fruit and my previously beloved dark chocolate. It's barbecue season and veg skewers, which are made up of all acid-watcher-beware ingredients (onions, tomatoes, peppers (and mushrooms for the yeast-aware) are not an option.

When it comes to veg it seems that if its green (other than peppers) its edible, carrots seem OK, too, but beyond that I'm pushing my luck.

I am continuing to fight the yeast infection, too. I did get that under control, mostly, but have begun to flare again in the last couple of days - I have re-introduced a couple of things that might be triggering it, but its difficult to work out what is the trigger and what then feeds it. These items are some grated hard cheese, like Parmesan, that I sprinkled on my salad, an increase in fruit - to two portions per day, we're not talking fruit salads with every meal here!, and I have for the last two days re-introduced some nuts - only the ones allowed on a yeast-free diet, I've had almonds, walnuts and brazil nuts.

I am guessing its the cheese, despite the miniscule portion - under 15g; I really only wanted to use it up, but I guess that wont happen.

Anyway, yesterday was day one and it went like this:

B: meatloaf, banana, mixed nuts
L: chicken, salad leaves, cucumber, avocado, mixed seed sprinkles; an apple, a cashew bar
S: celery & pate
D: bbq - fresh beef burger, gluten-free sausage, pork, salad/cucumber.

Oh, and finally, I did get my doctor's appointment, after waiting six weeks, we had a good chat about my symptoms and he agrees that it is best to avoid medication if possible, he doesn't seem too concerned about the longer term side effects of the acid, which was a little worrying, but he did order a raft of blood tests all of which came back normal. So I am not sure what happens next. The best news from that though was getting a regular reading for HbA1c - I was terrified I would be showing pre-diabetes, probably an over-reaction on my part as my carb consumption has not increased that much, but now my mum has the full diagnosis I guess I feel it is inevitable for me.
The other good-at-the-time result from the appointment was a referral to a dietician for some help on how to manage the acid. However, I have not yet heard anything from the clinic, so I don't know if they didn't get the letter, or don't have a way of helping me, or what?
I do need to phone the doctors to find out a. what my normal results actually were - they just told me everything was OK but didn't give me any actual figures/results, and b. if they heard back from the other clinic.
AutumnTiger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:33 am

It sounds like you are making progress. Yes, I too would want to get the actual results on your tests, I think that is important info to know. Best of luck with the dietician, hope they can help you get through your issues.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:38 am

AT. - It’s great to see you! I’ve been wondering where you got off too.

Look up Amy Myer’s AutoImmune Solution she does AIP and it sounds like what you are referring to with your limited veg. Excellent book and she has some really good recipes, and just released a cookbook. My GF w/Fibro has had amazing luck following her and she gives adjustments for Candida and SIBO as well.

Hang in there, you got this!
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:39 am

AT - Glad to see you back here and an update. I had not realized your issues were so profound. Take care.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnTiger on Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:16 pm

Shell-shocked! My colleague's husband has passed away unexpectedly - I'm not sure if it was today or overnight last night. I don't even know the cause. I was so shocked to get the news, and also I guess I made a lot of assumptions as he had been in hospital earlier this week for a biopsy on a tumour found on his kidney. But he had been allowed home, albeit he was somewhat disoriented after the surgery, but I suppose that was to be expected. That was on Tuesday, my colleague said she debated coming in to work on Wednesday, but her husband was very old school and hated any fuss so she came in to the office. Today is her day off. One of my other colleagues, our manager-not-manager, called me late this afternoon to let me know.
I can't believe it. He was in his mid-seventies, and until they started investigating this tumour there were no other serious issues that I was aware of.
My poor colleague. She is 67, and has really been desperate to give up work for a couple of years, she reduced her hours to four days a week a good two or three years ago, as not only is it tiring as you get older but she has B12 deficiency, which she has injections for, but towards the time the next one is due she really struggles energy-wise.
They have three daughters, one of whom lives in Europe, fortunately not too far away, and the other two are both local, so she wont be alone.
I'm at a bit of a loss.
AutumnTiger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnTiger on Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:20 pm

Day two

Brek: meatloaf and honeydew melon, a macadamia/coconut bar

Lunch: chicken salad, banana, pecan bar - this latter did not seem to agree with me

No snack today; felt like it at one stage, but it passed, then got the phone call

Dinner: grilled burger, sausage; salad. Nearly portioned myself out some oven chips but caught myself in time.

Down another pound this morning, that makes four since I took myself in hand, which seems to cover off the most recent inflammation attack - I can literally feel a band of dense, bloating, around my ribs and mid-section and I put on 4-6lbs each time that happens. Weird!
AutumnTiger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnTiger on Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:30 pm

Thanks for the welcome back Smile

Interestingly, after commenting about the lack of contact from the dietitian clinic I got a letter today. I have to phone them up to get an appointment. The letter stresses how busy they are. I'm not holding out a lot of hope. But I will make the call.

NM, I have looked in to AIP before, but I don't think that is quite my issue. However, I have acquired a copy of the book you mentioned, and while I am going to read the info sections a quick look at the recipes tells me that a lot of them wont work for me - there is lots of garlic and onions, both of which are on the "dirty dozen" list for an acid-watcher. However, it was only a skim through, so I will take a detailed look in the coming days.
The test on her website indicated candida, which I already knew.
I think maybe I need to investigate more along the FODMAPs route.

Pam: I had not realised just how long this issue was going to take to resolve either. That is why I would like to work with a trained dietitian so that I can really understand how to properly eliminate and re-introduce those foods that might be causing the issue. My own food diaries only seem to be taking me so far.

Definitely felt a bit brighter today, more sharp and with it. Fingers crossed for tomorrow - it could be "hangover" day! NM: I believe your are W30 again? I am very close but with a couple of small non-compliances. I get the feeling my timeline will be the same!
AutumnTiger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:28 pm

AT - do read the whole book as she give lots of adjustments and tons of great info. You could leave out the garlic and onions.

Yes, I am W30 again, today is day 7 will have an update later. Good for you getting close to it again.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:48 pm

It is so great to hear from you! Sorry that you've been struggling with some health issues.

Reflux is a tough one. Husband has struggled for years, although I will say he is not good at avoiding the triggers. I really hope you find the right combo of foods and behaviors. No alcohol and not eating for several hours before bed seem to be key for hubs.

The death of your coworker's husband is a crucial reminder that life can be short and we never really know how much time we have. Plan for sure, but live in the moment, live your best life!
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnTiger on Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:56 am

Abstinence from alcohol generally isn't an issue for me; I am not a big drinker, but I do like my snowballs at Christmas, and the odd beer with a summer barbecue.

I missed my snowballs this Christmas as when we were away with the in-laws was when I had the massive yeast rash flare up - so all sugars were off the menu. It was when I thought I was safe and had started to have them in about February that the reflux attack occurred.
My consumption of lime juice had taken off at that point, as I found it was something I could drink at hockey, but lesson learned now!

Eating late at night definitely was a bad habit for me - that post-dinner treat had crept back in, but that was the first and "easiest" habit to stop once I got a diagnosis. We now eat by seven, and I get rightfully grumpy with hubs if dinner is later than that. Mostly I am in charge of that fact but now and then circumstances throw our routine out, but I am very vigilant and vocal at stating that I need to eat.
Interestingly, even from SAD days, I have always preferred to eat earlier. One thing that I've got in to my head that makes sense on all levels is why would you eat the majority of your calories when you are winding up the day? I mean, that might work as refuelling / muscle loading if you have a physical job, but most of us don't.

Anyway, its proving tricky to get a handle on, but when I mentioned that primal was actually no longer making me feel well it was the protein element of meals. Apparently, too much is a trigger for an acid-watcher, and it is recommended to have at least one no protein meal per day, and one other should be more starch based. That just doesn't work for me on a lot of levels, but for a short while, going back to toast or crumpets for breakfast really helped; I tried porridge but that got stuck in my gullet. However, the overall downside of that is that acid-watchers should not "mix foods that fight" i.e. you should keep your proteins and starches separate, so I was never going to go back to sandwich lunches or anything like that.

I'm still working on lowering my protein consumption to "enough" rather than as much as I feel like, even if I have room. That has become harder again with barbecue season as DH does like to make plenty of variety.

I also need to work on upping my veg consumption, which is hard at this time of year because we have mostly salads, but a couple ounces of leaves and the same of cucumber, even twice a day, isn't enough.
My book says I should eat a pound of veg per day (preferably half of that raw) and then eat half a pound of fruit, which considering in the healing phase only allows bananas, certain melons and pears makes it a bit restrictive. Even for a veg lover like me that is a lot of veg! And soup is no good as you don't get the fibre.

Just this week I have added in red apples. I missed the crunch, and I have noticed plaque building on my teeth, which I think may be due to the lack of scouring they normally get from a good crunchy apple. However, it may also be something in my saliva trying to work up to prevent the acid burn. Anyway, not too bad with the apples so far, I'm going for one every other day and with a meal for now.

Sleep is becoming elusive again, by which I mean I wake up early after only about six hours sleep - sometimes it is enough, sometimes it isn't. I'm trying hard to stick to a bedtime routine, but falling asleep isn't usually an issue, but I can't control when I wake up. Also, if I go to bed early and get a full night one night then I wake up even earlier the day after. It would be nice to get it even every night - work in progress.

Another pound down today - that's the recent inflammation gone, I am back to where I started out two weeks ago, but its been a few days work to get back to where I started, and I need to progress from here.
AutumnTiger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:51 am

AT - what veg can you eat? Can you add veg to your breakfast? I was just reviewing the day you posted above and noticed no veg at breakfast or lunch. If you divide up the 1 pound to 3 meals and a snack, it might not seem overwhelming. I probably get that much, but it’s definitely divided. Just curious.

Nice on getting rid of the current bout of inflammation.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnTiger on Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:41 am

Ooh get me - I just did a salsa exercise routine!

I absolutely adore this DVD, but rarely get time home alone to go for it; well, today it happened.
Not to mention three cheers for me actually getting it to work. DH is always hooking up new electronics - sometimes I'm lucky I can even switch the TV on. The problem is in that the back of the TV only has so many connection points, and we have more gizmos to connect than there are spaces, which means some things only work via other things - and the combinations are always changing. However, success on this occasion.

I have worked up a mild perspiration and not tweaked anything, so its all good.
AutumnTiger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnTiger on Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:46 am

Yesterday's food - day three

Brek: meatloaf & fruit (banana or melon, I forget which)

Lunch: chicken salad*, apple, pecan bar

Snack: celery & pate

Dinner: gammon with fried egg, side salad and jacket potato with butter

I have to say that my digestion felt better for a smaller protein portion and added bulk in the form of the jacket potato.

* note that the British "salad" involves leaves, and other vegetables, for me at the moment usually just cucumber

Weight has levelled this morning so I was right about being back at my starting point. Still, five pounds off between Monday and Friday is a great start.
AutumnTiger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnTiger on Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:56 am

I am having a decadent day of doing nothing much today. DH has taken himself off to a car meet He left before seven am and I don't expect to see him again before 9pm, and I have resolved to do only whatever takes my fancy!

I have spent the morning lolling in bed, reading and trying to doze after DH's alarm rudely awoke me at 6:30am. However, I did not manage much on the dozing front, and then around 11am the truck convoy rolled in to town. I do not know much about this, but I had seen it advertised. It's a charity event, with lots of cabs following a route and honking their horns. I have to say that it rather jangled my nerves, but I do not begrudge them their fun Smile

I had a wonderful brunch of crispy cooked bacon, honeydew melon and a macadamia & coconut bar, along with a coffee with a dash of honey and coconut oil, which is just delish.

This morning I was reading Gretchen Rubin's book on habits and since then I have picked up Mark's Keto Reset again. Not because I have any intention of going keto but because its a lot more science-y than Primal Blueprint, while re-iterating the primal WOE.

It's also interesting how KR dials down the protein side of things - not that Primal doesn't state "eat lots of plants and animals" (notice plants first) - but it also talks about how eating too much protein can hinder weight loss just like too many carbs can, and also finally acknowledges that calories do play a part.

I am still considering the Blood Sugar Diet, but suspect that I will try and find my own, more sustainable, version of it.

I've also had a reasonable dose of sunshine, and the sun is playing peek-a-boo, which is great in avoiding over- heating, but its time to get back out in the air Smile
AutumnTiger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:08 pm

I read the Blood Type Diet - I'm type A. What I found most interesting was that all of my known troublesome foods were on the avoid list. So I figured there must be something to it. It is rather a strict protocol, good luck with finding what works best for you.

Sounds like you're having a lovely day!
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnTiger on Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:48 am

Hey Tomi, interesting mis-read there, I had forgotten about the Blood Type diet, not one I have seriously considered - I don't know why as I am usually open to most ideas. I had a quick scout round the internet, so not the full story by any means, but for my blood type (O) it was all the things I would no longer eat anyway - grains and legumes!

However, I have been thinking about the Blood Sugar Diet, which is a short (relatively) very low calorie diet the purpose of which is to try and reverse or stave off pre-diabetes or early diagnosis type II. Of course, for those without diabetes it would act as a very good reset in to good habits, hopefully act as a preventative and also, hopefully, get some rapid weight loss under way.

I have only been thinking about it, and I think it would be a similar to a Whole 30, albeit with some counting of calories. BUT I think at the moment keeping the calories that low wouldn't work with my necessary veg consumption.

I have also just worked out that even on a regular "diet" with a weight loss of 2lbs per week, I would be back to my previous lowest weight by the time we go on holiday in early September, and right now I would be very happy with that. That would be the same weight I was at when we went to America (see avatar) and I felt pretty comfortable. Still a UK size 14-16 but confident that I was just overweight rather than obese and wobbly, which is how I feel at present.

Getting the first six pounds off this week has put me in a really good place to carry on getting on with it. I am mindful that I do not yet appear to have experienced the eat/kill all things, just want to sleep, pants tighter phases that the Whole 30 timeline refers to, and whilst I am not strictly W30, there are only a couple of non-compliances.

Most importantly the mental energy to make the change has returned.
AutumnTiger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnTiger on Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:53 am

Day 4 - Saturday 9th June

Coffee with milk, tsp honey, tsp coconut oil
Brunch: 4 rashers crispy cooked bacon, 1/4 honeydew melon, coco-mac bar

Snack: meatloaf (<50g), tsp mayo, red apple

Dinner: baked chicken breast wrapped in two rashers of bacon, tsp grated cheese, broccoli, carrots; cashew nut bar.

I am mindful that my nut bars are packaged food, but there are only three or four natural ingredients, they add fibre and scratch the itch for something sweet-ish, so for now they stay.
I seem to tolerate them better than a whole nut portion at the moment. Although the pecan bars seem to make me feel asthmatic, which is a symptom of the reflux.
AutumnTiger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:25 am

AT - sounds pretty positive with the weight loss this week. Hopefully you can continue. What veg are you allowed? I’m just curious as I haven’t researched what for keeping acid down.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnTiger on Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:21 pm

Hi NM, yes, it has been a really positive week, and such a quick shift in mental energy, too - its amazing how having the right mindset helps, but it has to be the right time to find it, too.

So, there are two phases to acid watching: first healing and then maintenance. Although the healing protocol is 28-days, which I have done and am technically out of, I have found adverse reactions when trying to re-introduce things. So, the only thing I have let back in is a daily cup of decaf coffee.

The "rules" of vegetable consumption is any vegetable with a pH of 5 or above. The list given in the book is (including herbs):
spinach, romaine lettuce, arugula, curly kale, bok choy, broccoli, asparagus, celery, cucumbers, zucchini, eggplant, yellow squash, potato, sweet potato, carrots (not baby carrots), beets (fresh or frozen), cremini mushrooms, basil, cilantro, parsley, rosemary, dried thyme, and sage
Fruits:banana, Bosc pears, papaya, cantaloupe, honeydew, watermelon, lychee, and avocados

Sadly, the system also allows, indeed recommends, whole grains - not an option for me, and my negative reaction to them has become even more extreme, as they now trigger acid reactions as well as impacting the rest of my digestion. White bread was fine, even soothing, for a while, but I see no place for ongoing consumption of white bread products in my future.

Also sadly, some of the things that are allowed for acid watchers are not good for yeast watchers: mushrooms, dairy, dried fruit and some of the higher sugar fruits or too many fruit portions, but I am finding my levels.

I would mostly just like to re-introduce cooked garlic and cooked onions in most things and actually cooked red or yellow peppers, too. Then cooked tomatoes in say bolognese, though I doubt I will ever eat a tomato on its own again - unless it is a home-grown and very ripe.

Some other fruit options would be good, too - berries and cherries springing immediately to mind, oh and the odd kiwi fruit, but I can live with apples, bananas and pears.

There is enough to keep me happy as I don't mind eating the same things over and again.

I should acknowledge as success the fact that I have not had a return to the acute attack of pain that drove me to the doctors and was only alleviated by a morphine-based painkiller.

However, the next step is to stop experiencing on a daily basis the other symptoms of hoarse voice, the feeling of a lump in my throat and the metallic taste and mild burning sensation that I have in my esophagus. These are all still daily at present, albeit in varying degrees of severity.
These symptoms are why I still consider myself in the healing phase.

The doctor also pointed out that weight loss would help, and for once I agree that it could be adding to the symptoms, rather than the usual blame everything on weight approach that doctors employ. It is true that as my weight has risen again over the last year, combined with changes in my consumption of things an acid watcher would avoid, namely lime juice and soda, this appears to have served as the trigger.

As we are reading of those who have had more perceptible physical injuries, i.e. M2M's hand and tomi's shoulder, recovery can take up to twelve months, so I see this as a long term journey. I did not overload my system overnight, so it will not be quickly fixed.

One thing I am focusing on in the short to medium term is the bodies renewal of its cells, especially the blood cells, which I believe fully turnover in about three months. So, in three months time, I should be a completely new organism Smile
AutumnTiger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnTiger on Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:32 pm

I have spent a very enjoyable afternoon immersing myself in some personal development. I used the Paul McKenna Change Your destiny book and undertook all of the exercises and the meditations and generally used the time to visualise my future while identifying actions I can take to get there, as well as rating where on a scale of 1-10 I feel various aspects of life are now, have been in the past and will be in the future.
I find these tools very helpful when I have big-thinking to do.
I knew I did because I have been procrastinating again about job hunting despite generally being dis-satisfied with my current role/position. The procrastination relates to a job I feel would be interesting and that I might enjoy, but today helped identify why I have not leapt on the application - I'm substituting in my choices. Looking at things that I could do and that might interest me but that don't really set me alight. I keep trying to reconcile myself to the idea of "don't follow your passion, but always take it with you" but it just isn't resonating with me.
The added complication is the want, approaching, need to find a job that pays closer to what I am worth, which the current one does not - nor does it really pay what the job itself is worth.

However, the process has also uncovered some other "flies in the ointment" and possible reasons for the continued procrastination - I like working from home. Any future role would not give me this freedom - I can't really think of any options that are open to me that would facilitate this. On the other hand, for the right job I would enjoy working with others in an office environment.

So, a new plan of action (again!).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A busy week ahead. I had already arranged to work flexibly this week by doing extra hours between Monday to Thursday to allow me to take Friday afternoon off - well, not quite off but only to cover my mobile phone and answer queries rather than check off items on my work queue. However, due to the need to rearrange who does what in the office to cover my colleagues bereavement leave it has become a little bit arbitrary in how to make up those extra hours. However, on the basis that I'm expected to do 20 audits per day it seems fair to say that an extra 10 audits will make up the four hours. In practice, it doesn't really work like that, but as I will only be auditing for two days this week, and covering our mailbox the other two and a half days, its really the only way to work it. The mailbox doesn't need more cover on its days and I can't put in an extra two hours on two days. However, I can do an hour per day and make sure I hit the work queue target. I may come out worse off, but I'll likely come out slightly ahead, in which case I will give back a bit more next week.

So, the end to which I want a half day is because next Friday evening we are off to Cardiff, which is about a three hour drive, to see the Rolling Stones.

Now I would be lying if I said I was a massive fan, or even that seeing them was on my bucket list, however, after two different sets of our friends have been to see them recently DH and I had the discussion that really their one of those bands that you ought to be able to say you had seen. I can imagine the horrified youth of the future berating us for not taking an opportunity that they would never have. We found some great priced "pot luck" tickets and booked it - with only about two weeks' notice.
Pot luck means they could be anyway, they might be the worst seats in the house, they might be the best. One of our friends was in the standing area right at the front and said the people next to them had our kind of tickets, so who knows. I'm not expecting that, but its nice to know it could happen.
Now its booked I am kind of excited. Even better is knowing that the support - Elbow - did one of my favourite songs (probably top 20) I just hope they play it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Day five

Brunch: square sausage (otherwise known as Lorne, its a Scottish thing - a new taste sensation for me, and not very primal) bacon, fried eggs.

Dinner: roast beef, cabbage, broccoli, carrots, little knob of butter.

Very light on the veg and no fruit today, but I was too full on protein at brunch and we ate dinner a little late so no fibre bar for me - although I am not hungry for one either. No doubt I will make up for it tomorrow if I need to. But also, it has not been a particularly active day. Productive yes, but not active Smile
AutumnTiger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next