AutumnTiger starting over

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

Re: AutumnTiger starting over

Post by AutumnTiger on Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:11 pm

Yes, sleep is proving to be the lynch-pin ... especially at this stage of the winter when the tan has truly faded and the Vitamin D stores are probably close to empty.

So, today's plan was to go with DH and B when B went to his football game. B was playing at the next town over (where he now does his apprenticeship) and I have been threatening to go there to Ingress for quite some time. So DH and I would drop B off and head in to the centre. It sort of went to plan, but DH's gout is slowing him down and he was after trying to find supplements and remedies to speed up recovery.
We managed a reasonable mix of play and errands, and DH got some QT with coffee/hot chocolate in a cafe.

Even got home in time to get an hour in the garden. Still tackling the lily of the valley. Even a small amount of root will result in a new "infestation". It is a painstaking task but I have a knack for that kind of mindless attention to detail!

Boring garden talk alert!
The area the LotV is in is completely contained. It is in a small bed at the side of the garage. Probably six foot in length but only about 8-12 inches wide. The invasive plant is all at one end, furthest from the back door, and can be seen from my side of the dining table, so I would like to get something pretty there. Closer to the house is a hebe that we have let have its way as far as it will spread because it is green and masks the side wall of the garage. However, about the last foot to 18 inches closest to the house has a bunch of corms sticking up, plonked on the edge of the bed, that are very beautiful when in flower (some other kind of lily I think), but are an eyesore the rest of the year.
So, part of my idea was to move them to the LotV spot and get them properly buried in the soil. Maybe as they grow they would push up again, I don't know. But they kind of look like an accident where they are now. However, I don't think the area is clear enough of roots, etc. to plant them yet, and I need to get the corms up and moved as they, too are already sprouting.
So, I had another idea of where to put them. This was down at the end of one of the borders lining the right hand grassy area. The last two feet or so of that border doesn't have any shrubbery, and always gets full of weeds. Today I found that it is now full of grass! Anyway, I soon dug over a square foot or so, and have planted some of the corms there.
Talk about a jigsaw! I did get back to digging out a bit more of the LotV root, but it is going to be a slow process.
I have an idea I might put a sweet pea in there and trail it around the garage wall. That way I don't mind losing an annual plant if I need to dig over the border if the LotV comes back
All this work for a garden that isn't even mine, but I do find it incredibly therapeutic, and in the meantime we do have to look at it Smile
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

All that gardening, and the walking round town, means I got my steps target for the first time in ages (three weeks!). Its down at 7,500 at the moment, but I'm happy with that for now. It helps my target for 2,018km in 2018.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DH is now going to be home tomorrow (going to doctors first thing), when I am going to be watching the Superb-owl.
Not sure how I feel about that. I was really looking forward to some me time on the sofa with lots of unhealthy snacks! Now I will feel judged - even though DH knows what I intend to do and what I have bought in for the occasion. Not only that, but DH is still having to be good to ease the gout symptoms. Also, I will feel I have to offer cups of tea or whatever every time I have something, which is not really the idea! Working on a way to be more gracious about it.

AutumnTiger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnTiger on Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:09 pm

Going dark ....

Very shortly ... I will be "off grid" until after I have seen the Super Bowl tomorrow ... night all.
AutumnTiger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:11 pm

AT what a positive report.

I was really looking forward to getting my diary set up, but now that I'm into it I only feel ho hum about it. At least you have some nice anticipation of good events already, I think that is lacking in mine.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnTiger on Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:00 pm

OK, I'm back. Very much enjoyed the Super Bowl.

Annie - I guess it must be kinda weird to start your New Year in the middle of Summer. Maybe that is why your diary feels empty. I know when I am planning my year its all about holidays - simply because I have to get them booked to get the dates I want; one of the downsides of working in a team. But the focus is mostly on the longer days and things to do in the nicer weather.

However, I often feel that each of my "new years" starts at my birthday in October, I feel a very significant change in energy around that time, even though I would not say I am particularly caught up in birthdays/age at next birthday.

I also try and regularly use a planning technique based on the next three days, three weeks, three months, three years. Perhaps that keeps me more in touch with what I have coming up.

Finally, I need a good reward system. If I didn't have something to look forward to, well, then I would likely just give up!

Well, only checking in briefly as I need to go wash my hair ahead of radio club, I did shower this morning but did not take the time to wash my hair and have now realised I should have!
AutumnTiger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnTiger on Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:10 pm

Ooh, OK ... my Fitbit notifications are back. For some reason my 250-steps per hour reminders had stopped working, but after today's charge they are on again. Maybe I am catching a button on the watch when I put it on charge, because no matter what the app said i.e. that notifications were on, it wasn't working.

On an entirely different note ... the broth from the carcass of yesterday's chicken roast dinner should be just about ready to come out of the slow cooker.
AutumnTiger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:05 pm

I always find gardening to be a labor of love, relaxing too. Glad some of your recreation plans are shaping up.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:07 pm

AT sounds like an excellent weekend for you. Lots of steps, lots of fun and relaxing in the garden doing what you love. Awesome.

It’s nice it’s warm enough there for you to do that kind of thing. Here it’s still way to cold and the ground frozen for any of those tasks.

Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnTiger on Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:30 pm

Yes, we certainly don't get the kind of cold that some of the states get. Looking at the external images of Minnesota was amazing!
The warm spells we have been having in between has seen a lot of the spring flowers come up early, and most of my shrubs, including the roses are beginning to get new leaves. One rose even has a tiny bud, which is quite bizarre!

Today I am down and grumpy, I supposedly got enough sleep but it was broken with about 90 minutes awake time in the middle. DH has stayed home again today with his painful foot and now suspects he may have a kidney stone (because he has read this can be a side effect and he had a sore back). I don't entirely disagree with him, but he is driving me mad!
Naturally, non-primal foods yesterday have lowered my resilience and tolerance, and feeling tired meant I did not have the willpower to put the leftovers in the bin, but ate them instead, which will likely mean feeling down again - although hopefully I can get better sleep tonight.
We have called off going to the Q&A session at the hockey club.

In possible good news we are supposed to have someone coming to collect the spare bed tonight.
AutumnTiger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pebbles67 on Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:51 pm

You guys watch the super bowl? Shocked

Poor DH, Gout is awful. That said, I hope you still got in your healthy snacks.
Pebbles67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnTiger on Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:49 pm

Hey Pebbles, I have been an NFL fan since my early teens! It has a big following over here, but its hardly mainstream. I always used to stay up to watch it, kick off was 11:15pm UK time this year but these last couple of years I have developed a better plan - I record it and watch it the day after. I "go dark" staying away from all media until I've watched the game. That way I get to remember and enjoy the game rather than fighting to stay awake until turned 3am. Especially when the final two minutes of the game can take like 20 minutes real time Very Happy
AutumnTiger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnTiger on Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:49 pm

TGIF!

Its been tough getting out from under the self-inflicted carb-fugue! Despite having Monday off it has felt like a longer week than normal.

Work continues to be a PITA. However, I got a sharp reality check when I logged on to FB to post a moan about being surrounded by idiots when I saw that a dear friend had just that morning arrived back in the UK from Australia (where they emigrated 10+ years ago) because her mum had suffered a heart attack! Put a lot of things in to perspective.

So, I have been diligently slaving away; trying to be present ala my current Stoic reading. Its not really working, but I am persevering. I must face the fact that only a new job will save my sanity, but having been burned by the "grass being greener" once before its easy to see why I procrastinate.
However, I am trying to remind myself how bold I was when seeking that opportunity, I really was very firm and forthright, which is out of character for me. I blame being a Libra, we're always in two minds! Smile Anyway, it seemed to work well for me, so perhaps it will again!

DH continues to not leave the office until after 5:30pm. Today I chased him at 5:50pm, which finally gave him the opportunity to blame me and hightail it out of there. I am not liking the new arrangement. Not even more money out of it, and likely to be less shortly as if he does get the pay and grade rise to go with it then he will lose his current on-call allowance, which is worth more (in real money, although longer-term a pay raise is better).
Possibly feels worse to me because I am home all the time, but at the same time I can see that if this continues we wont be having nearly as many barbecues come the summer. Not only that but it lands me with more cooking duties. I have put my foot down firmly tonight and refused to start it. Its lose-lose for me because then we eat later.

Rain predicted tomorrow so a morning and afteroon of home stuff, then Sunday we are going to the hockey away. I could do without it in truth, I just can't seem to find any balance at the moment, always lurching from one thing to the next despite how exciting it sounds. I'm done with winter and need some sunshine I think - its just getting to that time of year when I really start to flag! Its no wonder that so many people's resolutions peter out - I wonder if it is mostly a northern hemisphere phenomenon.

I had managed to increase my sleep this week and then promptly woke up an hour before my alarm clock this morning. I did, however, get a whopping 1h 29m in deep sleep, which is presumably why I've made it through the day without really flagging when I have felt worse on other days this week where I had slept longer the night before.

Fresh linen tonight will be a treat Smile
AutumnTiger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:10 pm

AT I’m curious about your reluctance at cooking dinner and feeling it is DHs task.? I’m guessing something you all decided long ago, but think of it this way, if you cook, you decide the menu. If you want W30 then that is what you have. No worries to plan being lower carb or whatever and having DH cook something with more carbs than you wanted. Of course then no excuses either Smile

Hopefully you’ll figure out the job issue sooner rather than later. While getting it perspective, still doesn’t make it better overall. Oh and I don’t think you find a place to work that doesn’t have those with many failings. Trust me on that.

How’s the tidying coming along?
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6