AutumnTiger starting over

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Re: AutumnTiger starting over

Post by AutumnTiger on Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:11 pm

Yes, sleep is proving to be the lynch-pin ... especially at this stage of the winter when the tan has truly faded and the Vitamin D stores are probably close to empty.

So, today's plan was to go with DH and B when B went to his football game. B was playing at the next town over (where he now does his apprenticeship) and I have been threatening to go there to Ingress for quite some time. So DH and I would drop B off and head in to the centre. It sort of went to plan, but DH's gout is slowing him down and he was after trying to find supplements and remedies to speed up recovery.
We managed a reasonable mix of play and errands, and DH got some QT with coffee/hot chocolate in a cafe.

Even got home in time to get an hour in the garden. Still tackling the lily of the valley. Even a small amount of root will result in a new "infestation". It is a painstaking task but I have a knack for that kind of mindless attention to detail!

Boring garden talk alert!
The area the LotV is in is completely contained. It is in a small bed at the side of the garage. Probably six foot in length but only about 8-12 inches wide. The invasive plant is all at one end, furthest from the back door, and can be seen from my side of the dining table, so I would like to get something pretty there. Closer to the house is a hebe that we have let have its way as far as it will spread because it is green and masks the side wall of the garage. However, about the last foot to 18 inches closest to the house has a bunch of corms sticking up, plonked on the edge of the bed, that are very beautiful when in flower (some other kind of lily I think), but are an eyesore the rest of the year.
So, part of my idea was to move them to the LotV spot and get them properly buried in the soil. Maybe as they grow they would push up again, I don't know. But they kind of look like an accident where they are now. However, I don't think the area is clear enough of roots, etc. to plant them yet, and I need to get the corms up and moved as they, too are already sprouting.
So, I had another idea of where to put them. This was down at the end of one of the borders lining the right hand grassy area. The last two feet or so of that border doesn't have any shrubbery, and always gets full of weeds. Today I found that it is now full of grass! Anyway, I soon dug over a square foot or so, and have planted some of the corms there.
Talk about a jigsaw! I did get back to digging out a bit more of the LotV root, but it is going to be a slow process.
I have an idea I might put a sweet pea in there and trail it around the garage wall. That way I don't mind losing an annual plant if I need to dig over the border if the LotV comes back
All this work for a garden that isn't even mine, but I do find it incredibly therapeutic, and in the meantime we do have to look at it Smile
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

All that gardening, and the walking round town, means I got my steps target for the first time in ages (three weeks!). Its down at 7,500 at the moment, but I'm happy with that for now. It helps my target for 2,018km in 2018.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DH is now going to be home tomorrow (going to doctors first thing), when I am going to be watching the Superb-owl.
Not sure how I feel about that. I was really looking forward to some me time on the sofa with lots of unhealthy snacks! Now I will feel judged - even though DH knows what I intend to do and what I have bought in for the occasion. Not only that, but DH is still having to be good to ease the gout symptoms. Also, I will feel I have to offer cups of tea or whatever every time I have something, which is not really the idea! Working on a way to be more gracious about it.

AutumnTiger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnTiger on Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:09 pm

Going dark ....

Very shortly ... I will be "off grid" until after I have seen the Super Bowl tomorrow ... night all.
AutumnTiger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:11 pm

AT what a positive report.

I was really looking forward to getting my diary set up, but now that I'm into it I only feel ho hum about it. At least you have some nice anticipation of good events already, I think that is lacking in mine.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnTiger on Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:00 pm

OK, I'm back. Very much enjoyed the Super Bowl.

Annie - I guess it must be kinda weird to start your New Year in the middle of Summer. Maybe that is why your diary feels empty. I know when I am planning my year its all about holidays - simply because I have to get them booked to get the dates I want; one of the downsides of working in a team. But the focus is mostly on the longer days and things to do in the nicer weather.

However, I often feel that each of my "new years" starts at my birthday in October, I feel a very significant change in energy around that time, even though I would not say I am particularly caught up in birthdays/age at next birthday.

I also try and regularly use a planning technique based on the next three days, three weeks, three months, three years. Perhaps that keeps me more in touch with what I have coming up.

Finally, I need a good reward system. If I didn't have something to look forward to, well, then I would likely just give up!

Well, only checking in briefly as I need to go wash my hair ahead of radio club, I did shower this morning but did not take the time to wash my hair and have now realised I should have!
AutumnTiger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnTiger on Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:10 pm

Ooh, OK ... my Fitbit notifications are back. For some reason my 250-steps per hour reminders had stopped working, but after today's charge they are on again. Maybe I am catching a button on the watch when I put it on charge, because no matter what the app said i.e. that notifications were on, it wasn't working.

On an entirely different note ... the broth from the carcass of yesterday's chicken roast dinner should be just about ready to come out of the slow cooker.
AutumnTiger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:05 pm

I always find gardening to be a labor of love, relaxing too. Glad some of your recreation plans are shaping up.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:07 pm

AT sounds like an excellent weekend for you. Lots of steps, lots of fun and relaxing in the garden doing what you love. Awesome.

It’s nice it’s warm enough there for you to do that kind of thing. Here it’s still way to cold and the ground frozen for any of those tasks.

Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnTiger on Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:30 pm

Yes, we certainly don't get the kind of cold that some of the states get. Looking at the external images of Minnesota was amazing!
The warm spells we have been having in between has seen a lot of the spring flowers come up early, and most of my shrubs, including the roses are beginning to get new leaves. One rose even has a tiny bud, which is quite bizarre!

Today I am down and grumpy, I supposedly got enough sleep but it was broken with about 90 minutes awake time in the middle. DH has stayed home again today with his painful foot and now suspects he may have a kidney stone (because he has read this can be a side effect and he had a sore back). I don't entirely disagree with him, but he is driving me mad!
Naturally, non-primal foods yesterday have lowered my resilience and tolerance, and feeling tired meant I did not have the willpower to put the leftovers in the bin, but ate them instead, which will likely mean feeling down again - although hopefully I can get better sleep tonight.
We have called off going to the Q&A session at the hockey club.

In possible good news we are supposed to have someone coming to collect the spare bed tonight.
AutumnTiger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pebbles67 on Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:51 pm

You guys watch the super bowl? Shocked

Poor DH, Gout is awful. That said, I hope you still got in your healthy snacks.
Pebbles67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnTiger on Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:49 pm

Hey Pebbles, I have been an NFL fan since my early teens! It has a big following over here, but its hardly mainstream. I always used to stay up to watch it, kick off was 11:15pm UK time this year but these last couple of years I have developed a better plan - I record it and watch it the day after. I "go dark" staying away from all media until I've watched the game. That way I get to remember and enjoy the game rather than fighting to stay awake until turned 3am. Especially when the final two minutes of the game can take like 20 minutes real time Very Happy
AutumnTiger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnTiger on Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:49 pm

TGIF!

Its been tough getting out from under the self-inflicted carb-fugue! Despite having Monday off it has felt like a longer week than normal.

Work continues to be a PITA. However, I got a sharp reality check when I logged on to FB to post a moan about being surrounded by idiots when I saw that a dear friend had just that morning arrived back in the UK from Australia (where they emigrated 10+ years ago) because her mum had suffered a heart attack! Put a lot of things in to perspective.

So, I have been diligently slaving away; trying to be present ala my current Stoic reading. Its not really working, but I am persevering. I must face the fact that only a new job will save my sanity, but having been burned by the "grass being greener" once before its easy to see why I procrastinate.
However, I am trying to remind myself how bold I was when seeking that opportunity, I really was very firm and forthright, which is out of character for me. I blame being a Libra, we're always in two minds! Smile Anyway, it seemed to work well for me, so perhaps it will again!

DH continues to not leave the office until after 5:30pm. Today I chased him at 5:50pm, which finally gave him the opportunity to blame me and hightail it out of there. I am not liking the new arrangement. Not even more money out of it, and likely to be less shortly as if he does get the pay and grade rise to go with it then he will lose his current on-call allowance, which is worth more (in real money, although longer-term a pay raise is better).
Possibly feels worse to me because I am home all the time, but at the same time I can see that if this continues we wont be having nearly as many barbecues come the summer. Not only that but it lands me with more cooking duties. I have put my foot down firmly tonight and refused to start it. Its lose-lose for me because then we eat later.

Rain predicted tomorrow so a morning and afteroon of home stuff, then Sunday we are going to the hockey away. I could do without it in truth, I just can't seem to find any balance at the moment, always lurching from one thing to the next despite how exciting it sounds. I'm done with winter and need some sunshine I think - its just getting to that time of year when I really start to flag! Its no wonder that so many people's resolutions peter out - I wonder if it is mostly a northern hemisphere phenomenon.

I had managed to increase my sleep this week and then promptly woke up an hour before my alarm clock this morning. I did, however, get a whopping 1h 29m in deep sleep, which is presumably why I've made it through the day without really flagging when I have felt worse on other days this week where I had slept longer the night before.

Fresh linen tonight will be a treat Smile
AutumnTiger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:10 pm

AT I’m curious about your reluctance at cooking dinner and feeling it is DHs task.? I’m guessing something you all decided long ago, but think of it this way, if you cook, you decide the menu. If you want W30 then that is what you have. No worries to plan being lower carb or whatever and having DH cook something with more carbs than you wanted. Of course then no excuses either Smile

Hopefully you’ll figure out the job issue sooner rather than later. While getting it perspective, still doesn’t make it better overall. Oh and I don’t think you find a place to work that doesn’t have those with many failings. Trust me on that.

How’s the tidying coming along?
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnTiger on Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:44 am

Latest curve ball ... GERD.

At least that's the working hypothesis and the prescription is for a PPI (proton pump inhibitor) to lower my acid production.

After a couple of days of shellshock and a fuzzy head due to pain and then pain relief via codeine, my brain is kicking in and starting to figure out how to deal with it.

First off let me say that I had no idea just how painful this condition can be and I regret not paying more attention to what others have said about how they manage it.

As usual for me I have turned to books for information, and according to the reviews I appear to have found one of the most highly recommended books: The Acid Watcher Diet by Dr Jonathan Aviv.

There does appear to be a lot of contradictory information though, especially considering the very narrow margins that are important in helping me heal as quickly as possible.

Also, my yeast infection is still flaring, and some of the (limited) allowed foods during the healing phase for GERD are ruled out.

However, considering that 48 hours ago I was thinking of giving up food entirely at least now there is some hope. (I think!)
AutumnTiger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:56 am

AT, long time no hear and now this news! Sorry you have been so unwell, you are certainly the one to go about researching and tackling this head on, all power to you. May you find what works for you!
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnTiger on Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:44 am

Two good signs: I didn't need any painkillers yesterday and I've let go of 5lbs of inflammation!

Ate compliantly yesterday in terms of ingredients but did not meet the goals of the volumes of veggies (1lb) and fruit (0.5lb) to eat - just ran out of opportunities.

It went like this:
Brek: bacon, scrambled egss, 4 prunes and raw bar
Snack: banana
Dinner: 8oz sirloin steak, jacket potato with butter (eaten out)
Fluids: only water is permitted.

We were out at a local orchestra and choir concert at a local church last night, theme Magic of the Musicals, and we really enjoyed it. And I had minimum discomfort.

Most of the pain/awareness is now in my front behind ribs rather than in my middle back.

Some further reading is enlightening in helping to identify what has turned this from a chronic condition into the acute episode I experienced this week ... and it would seem the biggest culprit has been the lime & soda I had taken to drinking at the ice hockey. It appears that the final trigger on Wednesday evening was a dish that used to be a regular on the menu but that we hadn't had for a while, which included garlic, tomatoes and onions - all ingredients on the "dirty dozen" list.

So, I'm starting to feel somewhat more human, and a little less like I have a life sentence hanging over me.
I'm trying to add some perspective in that I was OK before, i.e. without acute episodes of pain, and my new knowledge should help me be even better in the future.
There is also the hope that, once in maintenance phase, I will be able to enjoy a cup of coffee daily again. Considering I used to only have two (although that was sneaking up to include an afternoon one with the cold weather and being home-based) and I was OK then this looks promising.

As my prescription is for 28-days and the healing phase is recommended for 28-days this should all work well in tandem.
Concerns include the fact that the diet is likely to result in significantly higher carbs than I would hope for, although by no means at SAD levels or using SAD foods.
Also, the eating plan is mini-meals and maxi-snacks i.e. eating five times per day AND one of the meals should be vegetarian.
This style of eating raises concerns of triggering diabetes, however, it is balanced by the fact that an eating window is prescribed, and no evening eating is permitted - with at least three hours between dinner and bed.
I will follow the healing phase as written in respect of these recommendations, as it is only 28 days, and look to minimise the other concerns if necessary once in maintenance. I'll also use a tracker in order to keep an eye on my macros to give me a better idea of the true potential impact.
AutumnTiger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:51 pm

AT I’m so sorry about this occurance, but thrilled to hear you ar tackling this head on. Hoping the 28 days goes by quickly for you and will leave you with some lasting good habits.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnTiger on Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:57 am

Thanks, NM. I think I've finally had the warning shot to galvanise me back in to action.

Continuing improvements this morning. Less PND, and until I took my medicine pill, much clearer airways and less throat-clearing. Also, another pound down = six. Back to what I would consider my starting weight, i.e. before all the ill health issues started. And that is probably half a stone more than my 2017 average (although I have very few weigh-ins and none to hand).

The main thing is that all my symptoms are improving, including the yeast rash, which is interesting as I was worried the increased carbs would hinder progress with that.

Obviously, I am on medication, which is the down side, but I am hopeful that at the end of the course I can manage the issues with diet.

Interesting acronym from my book:
SNACK stands for Specially Nuanced Adulterated Carbs that Kill.
The chap is very anti processed foods.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In other news: no hockey for us last night as DH had to go and meet B at A&E for a cut to his head, which needed gluing, after he lost an argument with a tree branch!
DH was not impressed as the accident occurred due to a clear violation of the Primal Blueprint Law "avoid stupid mistakes".
DH then continued to get grumpier as our team lost 5-7, after giving up a two goal lead from the first two minutes, then not only letting the other team back in it, but after trading goals one for them one for us, then allowed them to score the winning goals courtesy of us being short-handed.
I had a feeling we would lose, which is why I didn't go to the hockey on my own. All the other sports we watch have all had the "wrong" results this weekend, so it was inevitable.

Anyway, time for work (and breakfast!)
AutumnTiger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:22 am

AT happy to hear the progress continues. I love that SNACK acronym. I’m going to copy it and reappear until memorized. Thanks for sharing.

I hope Bs head is feeling ok today. Not fun.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:26 pm

Really hope you can manage the GERD. My husband has had it forever and doesn't manage well, so routinely takes the drugs which are bad for a body and long-term lead to Vit B12 deficiency which leads to neuropathies and... Do what you must to take care of this! Not eating near bedtime is very important, and avoiding the foods also helps.

Take good care of yourself!
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnTiger on Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:13 pm

Hey M2M. Wow, I had no idea your hubby suffered.

I'm not entirely sure whether I have GERD or its reverse. The more reading I do the more confused I get. I have never thought I suffered with indigestion because I have never had that whole acid / burn / reflux thing. So, this has landed on me rather insidiously because I didn't recognise the symptoms I did have, which were the PND, constant throat clearing, phlemy-ness, coughing after eating, etc. I've been putting it down to the series of colds I had and as a hangover from that.
Now I have a diagnosis I have seen the light, and I have known about the issues with onions for years, but its taken me years to figure it out. I'd only realised in the last, say, twelve to eighteen months, but even then I only realised cause and effect. I had absolutely no idea the harm this was doing to my body.

I was in so much pain last week, like nearly heading to hospital pain, that type that the doctors do the checks to make sure it isn't a heart attack pain, that I will do my utmost to manage this through diet. I have no intentions of being on any medication long term. The PPI should help control the immediate problem of the flare while I get my diet in line and start the healing process. But now I have this knowledge it will always be with me and make me much more mindful of the "dirty dozen".

I have been well before on primal, and I am wondering now if this issue was the reason my weight-loss stalled, and then I began gaining again.
This is essentially going back to primal, with a few extra things on the no-list. Some of which may return in time (the single square of dark chocolate).

The most difficult part of managing it is that foods don't come with a pH label!
AutumnTiger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnTiger on Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:21 pm

So today's food log:

Macros: Cals=1745 | fat = 99g | carbs = 133g | protein = 81g

B: medium banana, 25g cashew nuts
S: medium carrot, cashew nut butter
L: roast beef dinner leftovers reheated in the pan with coconut oil; 2 bacon rashers; 1/4 honeydew melon
S: sausage, raw bar
D: Aberdeen Angus beef burger, tsp soft cheese, bacon & avocado topped, with a jacket potato/butter and green salad

So, one of my meals is supposed to be vegetarian. Right now that is breakfast, which might be cheating, but so far so good. However, I do really need the snacks, not liking feeling like a carb-burner, but I will live with it for this healing phase.

TMI time ... eating 750g of veggies and fruit per day equals second toilet trip today. I'm really not liking feeling like a carb eater again!
AutumnTiger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:42 pm

Yep, T had many similar symptoms - we thought he might have asthma as he had shortness of breath - acid was getting into his lungs.

Being a long-term big veggie eater, twice a day is not uncommon... I figure it is better to move things through than not, and easier is always waaaay better than not.

Razz
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnTiger on Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:15 pm

Cheers mate Smile Really made me smile.
I always was twice a day when I tried getting full on low-fat carbs. At least this is all veggies & fruit
AutumnTiger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnTiger on Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:19 pm

Continuing to feel better today, except for an unpleasant side effect - might be the medication, might be the shock to the system of so much fibre!
I thought I was pretty good with my fruit and veg, but upping it from five portions to seven could be telling.

Macros: Cals = 1665 | Fat = 84g | Carbs = 121g | Protein = ~100g

Its good to be back to tracking.
AutumnTiger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnTiger on Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:28 pm

DH was out of the house twelve hours today after putting in an eleven hour stint at work as his team goes down with lurgy, plus one on compassionate leave.

However, we are off on an adventure tomorrow after work. We have Club Gold tickets at Wembley stadium to see a minnow football team take on my DH's team in some cup game or another. Should be an interesting experience. And cold. I'll be digging out my salapettes and ski-jacket tomorrow!!

Then Thursday night we are off to a quiz night in support of our ice hockey team.

No idea how I am going to manage to eat for either of these events, but I'll work something out - going to have to gt used to it, although it will be easier when my system is further along in the healing process.

Yet again, I am amazed, when I really shouldn't be, at the healing powers of the body. And very grateful.
I'm still tiring more easily than I would like, and the weather (including snow) is putting me off getting out for a walk, but hopefully that will come back as the weather improves.
I am also much enjoying the lengthening daylight, my entire work day is now conducted in the light again, and full light, not dove-tailed by twilight. Although with the snow showers we have had today its hard to think that even Spring, let alone Summer, is on its way!
AutumnTiger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next