Primal Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keeping the Yellow Out of Gray

3 posters

Go down

Keeping the Yellow Out of Gray Empty Keeping the Yellow Out of Gray

Post by ShelleyM Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:44 pm

What do any of you silver ladies do to keep your strands from yellowing? Have you discovered the definitive thing that causes your hair to yellow?

I cut my chin-length, inverted bob a couple of years ago because the yellowing in the longest strands (front) was driving me crazy. To pull off the style, I had to straighten the front with a flat iron. When it is shorter, I can control my wave with a blow dryer on a lower heat setting. I don't know if the heat, exposure to the environment, or what was causing the yellow.

My profile picture is from last year sometime. For the same reasons, I went with a short layered pixie cut last summer, but want to grow it out again. Maybe to just below my cheekbones in the front. I keep the back short and stacked because it still has a lot of dark hair and I like the contrast. Most of my gray is on top, so when it is one length, that is what you see the most.

I think for me it is our very hard water depositing minerals. I began using a gentle clarifying/stripping shampoo three times a week. I have a 1:1 mixture of an intense condition and peroxide. I use that on my hair once a month or so and let it sit for 30 minutes.

I want to keep the yellow under control if I am going to grow it out again, and was hoping for some insight.
ShelleyM
ShelleyM

Back to top Go down

Keeping the Yellow Out of Gray Empty Re: Keeping the Yellow Out of Gray

Post by Annieh Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:43 pm

I think you may be onto something with suspecting the hard water. Can you wash in rainwater and compare the difference? I have tried this, and noticed my hair so much softer, not dry/rough/fluffy by comparison. Only a few silver strands yet so did not notice what it did to the colour.
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:10 pm

Well I’ve gone the bad direction. I get highlights a few times a year and then everything just blends so I have not idea if anything would yellow.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ShelleyM Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:32 pm

NM, that's not necessarily the "bad" direction! I have no patience to keep up with hair color.

We don't get enough rain to try it, Annie. We irrigate everything just to grow stuff. I did find a not too expensive showerhead online with a hard water filter. I am going to try that.

Last edited by ShelleyM on Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total
ShelleyM
ShelleyM

Back to top Go down

Post by ShelleyM Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:03 am

Update. I do believe it was the hard water. The showerhead works very well and I have no yellow in my hair this time as I have let it grow out. I can tell a difference in the water on my skin with the filtered showerhead, so I know it is filtering. The filters are only $12 every 6 months. Well worth the money, and mystery solved. Smile
ShelleyM
ShelleyM

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum