Simply Primal - Annie Tries Again

Page 35 of 42 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 38 ... 42  Next

Go down

Simply Primal - Annie Tries Again - Page 35 Empty Re: Simply Primal - Annie Tries Again

Post by ShelleyM on Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:26 am

Funny chutney story! I'm with Rig, I want to find one so I can try it. My daughter is flying from Madrid to LA in May and then driving on home. I wonder if she can find some while she is there?

Annie wrote:You would have been amazed again this week as we saw an endangered whio (blue duck).
!!Smile!!

ShelleyM
ShelleyM

Back to top Go down

Simply Primal - Annie Tries Again - Page 35 Empty Re: Simply Primal - Annie Tries Again

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:54 pm

Yes Annie you did try.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:14 am

Tonight I am dirty, scratched and sore from doing battle with my rampant wisteria.  I have read that a mature vine can be rejuvenated by cutting it almost to ground level.  Since the plant acts as if it is out to trap us, or our visitors, I have long stopped worrying about killing it. Rejuvenation sounds like the next best thing.  

Easter brought five functions in three days.  My diet has been far from primal and exercise notable only by its absence.

Meanwhile, feijoa season is slowing down, and fig season has begun.  I am excited, as I never had a fig season before. There is a knack to harvesting the perfectly ripe fig which I have yet to master. Too soon, and they taste bland; too late and they've been vandalised by the birds. Getting a net over my huge tree will be a challenge, but necessary if I am to obtain my perfect figs.
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:39 pm

Love those types of adventures. Oh, seasons.

I just was reminded about my bloodroot. Finally raked that area and it is up and very soon to bloom! Need to go to The Pines and do my normal spring walk. I meant to yesterday but time got away from me. tomorrow it will happen.

Glad you are trying a prune. Hope it works well for all the work you did.
perennialpam
perennialpam

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:02 pm

Annie it will be interesting to see how the wisteria does after the trimming.

Figs, never had the pleasure of a truly fresh fig. I hope you can get some perfect ones.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:31 pm

Well, good luck with that (bird netting over the fig tree)!  I would wish for you many perfect figs.
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:51 am

M2M, thankyou, I have had a few figs that come pretty close to perfect.
NM, trimming is a gentle word for what I inflicted on that wisteria.
Pam, how exciting that your bloodroot is about to bloom.  Now you will be looking out for it.

Today's tramping outing, as usual, had its ups and downs. My friend described the weather as uninspiring;  I would call it wet and cold. In all, we spent six hours among the ferns and mosses and waterfalls with only the birds for company, but there were many of them. The weather was mostly rain with some wind and hail thrown in for good measure.

We began by splashing our way straight up what seemed to be a river but was actually the official Track. Then, somewhere between my dissertation on a weekend away and her updates on her son's performance opportunities in San Diego - and so oblivious to the stoat trap in the centre of the crossroad and the numerous blue tags and ribbons to either side - we passed by the intersection we were seeking.

We eventually stopped at an old hut site for lunch before retracing our steps to the crossroad, where we practically tripped over the stoat trap.

The side track led to a major river in full flow, with a waterfall gushing into it.

Another very rugged track follows the river downstream  so we explored for a few minutes before turning back. We expected it would emerge near the stone crushing ruins, but at the time we did not know this for sure.

When we again reached the crossroad, I almost didn't make the turn as there was so much water flowing down the main track, that I mistook it for a river that I should cross.

After this, we crossed a swing bridge and found another side trail to the River and discovered the lower end of our rugged track.  We followed it upwards, but there was insufficient time, energy and daylight to connect our loop today, so once again we turned back.

Finally, we followed an ancient train track through a very gloomy cutting, again full of flowing water and waterfalls, past the other ruins, and dragged our bedraggled selves back to the car.
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:13 am

Wow, that was quite a hike! Hate missing turnoffs.

Waterfalls and gushing rivers. The rain? Not so much. haha

Sounds like you had a good time though.

It must be so nice to have a friend to share a tramp with who does not let the weather interfere with plans.
perennialpam
perennialpam

Back to top Go down

Post by ShelleyM on Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:58 am

Thanks for sharing! Smile Have a fantastic week.
ShelleyM
ShelleyM

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:30 pm

Wow, that sounds.... soggy!  Good for you for getting out there and exploring no matter the weather. I hope your boots are drying out now.
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:11 pm

Finally reached this river after a two-hour detour due to talking too much and inattention to the track markers.  There was a waterfall dropping off the bank downstream on the other side:
Simply Primal - Annie Tries Again - Page 35 Img_2076

Looking down on the river, through the trees:
Simply Primal - Annie Tries Again - Page 35 Img_2075

Another waterfall, this cutting was made by hand more than a century ago, to create a railway track:
Simply Primal - Annie Tries Again - Page 35 Img_2074
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:57 pm

Wow, the water in the last picture looks almost purple.  Is that a true color?
Pedidoc
Pedidoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:23 pm

Annie what gorgeous pics once again.

I agree with pedi the water looks purpleish.

I love reading about your adventures. You two don’t let anything stop you. Smile
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:03 pm

The water was about as pure as could be so the colour cast in the photo is probably due to underexposure on a cheap phone at 4pm on a wet day in a deep tunnel through dense bush.

Yesterday was sunny and windy - perfect for drying out my gear. The boots were saturated so will take longer.

So many wet Mondays.
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:39 pm

Annieh wrote:The water was about as pure as could be so the colour cast in the photo is probably due to underexposure on a cheap phone at 4pm on a wet day in a deep tunnel through dense bush.

Regardless, I think it is beautiful and I love the purple color - it makes it look like a modern painting.
Pedidoc
Pedidoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed May 01, 2019 4:56 pm

So happy for sun to get things dry.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Thu May 02, 2019 9:11 am

Great story and awesome pictures. You go girl!

Self-acceptance doesn’t mean that you’re no longer allowed to change anything about yourself. It means that you love yourself without condition, regardless of your flaws; that you can be both okay with yourself and committed to change, at the same time. - Sean Croxton
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Thu May 09, 2019 3:18 am

So.  There's this lad who is struggling with the assignments for his electrical course.
He is allowed some extra support, and I get the job.  The health and safety assessment is riddled with pictures, fill-in-the blank style questions, and little case studies.  Should be a snap, I think, naively.

The first piccy is of safety goggles.  He fills the first blank with the word "worn" from his word bank.  An hour later, it turns out that the word "fitted" would have been a better choice as "worn" is the only option for another question further down the page.  

I accept that our electricians need a measure of literacy, but let's move on to the insulating gloves.  These should be stored flat and away from heat, humidity, sunlight, chemicals and other potentially damaging substances, and then inspected and air tested and the rating checked before use.  I now know this, because I spent far too long helping my student to search a word bank for these terms to insert in sentences with so many blanks that they were almost meaningless.  

I'm not sure he knows though, because the literacy challenge obscured the point.  Could the tutor not have produced a pair of gloves and shown the students how to read the label, check for holes, and store them in a box?  Surely, this would be both quicker and more memorable than our little test, and far less painful.

On and on went the assignment.  My head was pounding and my student's eyes glazed over as he drooped onto the desk, but he refused to quit.  

The case studies were centred on trainees named Charlotte and Juan.  Juan!!!  Please, let's just call them Tom and Kate, and not make this harder than it needs to be. Anyway, poor Charlotte wired a classroom in such a way that a painter received an electric shock from a metal bench and died on the way to hospital. Finally, a humorous moment, as my student quipped, "Hopefully it's fictional."

There was more, but we had long since passed the point of diminishing returns and so I have a reprieve until next week.
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Thu May 09, 2019 5:01 am

And there lies the difficulty in teaching....
Pedidoc
Pedidoc

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Thu May 09, 2019 5:57 am

Oh my.
perennialpam
perennialpam

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu May 09, 2019 8:36 am

What a training day you had. Yes, they definitely need shown, not told. Makes a much better impression. Both is best. Good luck next week.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Thu May 09, 2019 10:21 am

See one, do one, teach one does have a factual basis.
Pedidoc
Pedidoc

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Thu May 09, 2019 1:06 pm

I'm just shaking my head reading your story about the tutoring. Must have been so frustrating for you and the student.
tomi1000
tomi1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu May 09, 2019 11:55 pm

EEK!
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

Back to top Go down

Post by ShelleyM on Fri May 10, 2019 8:23 am

You have a way with words Annie! I even enjoyed that frustrating story. Unfortunately, at least here in the states, the certification tests are going to be written. It is a good thing you are helping him with literacy now.
ShelleyM
ShelleyM

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 35 of 42 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 38 ... 42  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum