Simply Primal - Annie Tries Again

Page 34 of 44 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 39 ... 44  Next

Go down

Simply Primal - Annie Tries Again - Page 34 Empty Re: Simply Primal - Annie Tries Again

Post by Annieh on Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:49 am

Thanks, all, for your enthusiasm over my tramping stories. In real life, people glaze over when I tell them (even though they ask me to, lol). This happened twice today. At least I have an outlet here in my journal, where no one need read it all unless they so choose.
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Simply Primal - Annie Tries Again - Page 34 Empty Re: Simply Primal - Annie Tries Again

Post by ShelleyM on Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:01 am

I just wish I could gain the same benefit as you do by just reading. Smile
ShelleyM
ShelleyM

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:44 pm

Along with the same scratches, bruises, sunburn and sore muscles??
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by Vh67 on Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:11 pm

I love the tramping and gardening stories! I just don’t post as often as I should. Plus it fun to read about you putting your yard to sleep as ours is waking up.
Vh67
Vh67

Back to top Go down

Post by ShelleyM on Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:12 pm

Annie wrote:Along with the same scratches, bruises, sunburn and sore muscles??
If it makes you feel better, sure. Smile
ShelleyM
ShelleyM

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:23 pm

ShelleyM wrote:
Annie wrote:Along with the same scratches, bruises, sunburn and sore muscles??
If it makes you feel better, sure. Smile
No pain, no gain, Shelley.
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by ShelleyM on Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:41 pm

It honestly would be amazing to join you on one of those treks!
ShelleyM
ShelleyM

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:28 am

V, thanks for dropping in.  I thought today's tramping story was going to be a bit tame, but then stuff happened... Let me start at the beginning.

I woke early, and it was beginning to rain.  "Nice weather for ducks,"  I txt to my friend, then assured her it was merely an observation and did not mean I wanted to call off our date.  

So we met at the gravel pit as planned, left one car there and drove round to the rainforest gardens.  Our intention was to hike upwards a couple of hours to a new intersection we discovered before.  We thought if we then turned down the other track it would likely bring us back to our first car.  We still think this is the case, but today didn't turn out to be the day we get to find out for sure.

We donned our wet weather gear, walked a few metres down the road and crossed the river to enter the bush.  This turned out to be a rookie error - we should have known better.

The bush was beautiful, as usual, but I couldn't see it very well what with my hood falling down over my nose and the rain continuing to fall. It was really quite gloomy in there.  After two and a half hours, the vegetation thinned out a bit which let in more light, but now the wind was able to cut through, which was becoming unpleasant.  With no view to speak of, and our intersection possibly still at least another half hour away, and the deteriorating weather reminding us of the forecast thunderstorms, we made the call to turn back.

Down is often faster, particularly in muddy conditions, and getting muddier by the moment.  Our track was becoming a mud slide in places, a river bed in others.  But we were happy enough ("Quack, quack") and making good progress.  

Suddenly, we came across a stream that had not been there on our first pass!  It was flowing briskly right across our path.  It was too deep to ford, even had we joined forces, but handily there was a fallen log over it.  That the log was covered in growing things and entwined with supplejack was mere inconvenience. So we straddled the log and crawled elegantly to the other side, legs dangling in the rushing water. My poles could not reach the bottom.

Once we were back on track we could hear the stream thundering ever louder, especially as it dropped into the main river - the one we had crossed this morning and were now realising would bar our way back to the road. Sure enough, by 2pm when we returned to our starting point, the river had become a raging torrent.  

We knew that the river would pass under the road somewhere between here and our car, which was not far at all as the crow flies.  Not being crows, we decided to set a compass and follow it due north, regardless of obstacles.  

The first obstacle was a yet another previously non-existent stream.  I took a moment to appreciate its beauty, before tackling the next obstacle - a near vertical bank covered in ferns.  We zig-zagged up this with determination, trying to keep to our course.

After this, we had to come down the other side, through even more vines and vegetation.  Through the leaves we could spy something bright red and rectangular.  Never have i been so pleased to see a waste management bin.  We scrambled down towards it and came out by some enormous water tanks above the carpark.   The final obstacle was a dirt bank, and it was a simple matter to slide down on our backsides, land by the tanks, and pick our way down to the (fortunately empty) carpark.  I wonder why no one was visiting the rhododendron gardens today. They grow so beautifully up here in the rainforest.

Anyway, we were happy to have had another adventure, and the exploration of the other track will have to wait for another, finer, day.

No piccies, sorry. Conditions were not conducive to digital photography, though the ancient trees were magnificent, the river was spectacular, and the impromptu streams delightful. Shelley, you would have been amazed for sure. Smile
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:18 am

Adventure Annie never fails to provide a fun read... Smile as always very colourful. Thank you. And don't forget advertising the beauty and bounty of New Zealand... which is a rather easy job, to be honest, as it seems all you have to do is focus on nature all around. My laptop opened with a picture of Mirror Lake NZ... https://theplanetd.com/33-reasons-will-want-visit-new-zealand-right-now/

Annieh wrote:Along with the same scratches, bruises, sunburn and sore muscles??

Milind Watve! Very Happy Doves, Diplomats, and Diabetes: A Darwinian Interpretation of Type 2 Diabetes and Related Disorders... comprehensive expensive book that explains eloquently why your active way of life is so healthy.

"Our research shows that these natural stressors are necessary for the production and regulation of neuroendocrine factors such as Epidermal Growth Factor. This peptide is not only necessary for rapid wound healing, but also for regeneration of the insulin-producing beta cells in the pancreas. A lack of scratches, bruises or slight bruises leads to degeneration of, among other things, the beta cells and is therefore a factor in the pathophysiology of diabetes."

https://superhumanradio.net/shr-1195-doves-diplomats-and-diabetes-a-darwinian-interpretation-of-type-2-diabetes-and-related-disorders-plus-training-to-enhance-coordinated-working-relationships-between-the-nervous-and-muscular-systems

https://superhumanradio.net/shr-2088-doves-diplomats-and-diabetes-a-darwinian-interpretation-of-type-2-diabetes-and-related-disorders-plus-training-to-enhance-coordinated-working-relationships-between-the-nervous-and-muscular-systems

You'll need to skip on the (overly present) advertising stuff, but interesting nevertheless. Smile
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:34 am

From the intro: "the anticipation of injury, risk and intensity that turns the body into the epitome of fluid-strength"   Haha.

Rather than freak out at being trapped in the bush by the flooded river, we rose to the challenge and were overjoyed when we finally slid down that last mud bank to the carpark.  That was pretty intense.

It would be nice to think that our bodies demonstrated the epitome of fluid strength as we traversed the log-bridge, but I somehow doubt it.
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:51 am

Another adventure for Annie and friend. Glad you have a tramping companion who sticks with you.

What fun you had.

How's the car's interior holding up? hehe
perennialpam
perennialpam

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:29 pm

Annie what an adventure. You write so incredibly well, I can picture the entire adventure as I read. What a fun bit of unanticipated exercise you had with all the obstacles.

Love it!
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:05 pm

NM, overcoming those obstacles was the most fun part of the whole day! Hehe Pam, my friend was well prepared with dry towels to protect her car from our wet and muddy selves!
Lovebird, great link thanks. It's always nice to know that however crazy I might be, I'm actually onto something very cool.

What I did with today's feijoas:
1. Gave two bags to a friend.
2. Ate at least three for breakfast.
3. Peeled and sliced two trays worth for the dehydrator.
4. Turned another kilo into chutney.
5. Cooked down the remainder into feijoa paste (I'm hoping these will be nice Easter gifts for the family.
6. Dared not look under the tree. Any more that fall now can wait till tomorrow!
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:22 am

Feijoas season. Always forget until you mention again. I doubt we have any in our markets but I have been meaning to see.

Glad your friend was prepared. I should have known.

perennialpam
perennialpam

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:53 am

Wow busy day with the feijoas. Sounds like a nice stock to carry you over the winter.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by ShelleyM on Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:44 pm

Annie wrote:Rather than freak out at being trapped in the bush by the flooded river, we rose to the challenge and were overjoyed when we finally slid down that last mud bank to the carpark. That was pretty intense.

Thank you for another fine adventure! I waited until I wasn't rushed, so I could savor every word. It sounds intense and I am proud you rose and conquered the challenges you face. Smile
ShelleyM
ShelleyM

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:39 pm

Thank you Shelley.  You would have been amazed again this week as we saw an endangered whio (blue duck). It was swimming in the stream and gave a very alarming call as we approached, not at all like a quack, and then seemed to ignore us while we watched and admired it for several minutes.  They only live where the water quality is very pure, so this was a very good sign.

Feijoa season continues, I have been eating them for breakfast, lunch and dinner, as well as making more paste and dehydrated slices.  The supply is so bountiful, I am even using the small ones as mulch in my garden. There are more beauties than I can give away so another round of pickles and chutney is needed.

Work wise, it's been a week of extremes.   Being sent to the wrong supermarket to sell products they'd never heard of was frustrating.   Teaching piano to 10 children on five keyboards in a classroom full of abandoned furniture and a heater that won't turn off, was completely chaotic - but at least it wasn't boring. If anyone were counting, my vote for most deadly boring job on earth would go to Exam Supervision.  It is enough to inspire a fresh round of studying for a career change as I cannot stand the thought of having to do that again.
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:18 am

Wow, you sure are getting out there on the employment venue. Getting out there and getting a feel for what you do and do not like. I sure hope you find something stimulating and that makes you feel good.

Seeing an endangered creature is the cherry on top.

Wish you could sell your feijoas….
perennialpam
perennialpam

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:29 am

I'd like to try some of the feijoas, anyone seen them in the usa stores?
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:49 am

Rig D --- Just Google It. Very Happy

The Feijoa, sometimes known as the Pineapple Guava, is a lime-green, egg-shaped fruit with a soft, succulent flesh similar in texture to a pear. Originally a native of South America, the fruit is now grown in California and New Zealand. Its flavor is reminiscent of pineapple, quince and lemon, with a hint of eucalyptus. Serve sliced in fresh fruit salads, blend frozen with other fruits for a fruit sorbet, or use as a garnish with roasted meats. When slightly soft, simply cut in half and spoon out the white, succulent pulp along with the tiny edible seeds. The texture is mildly gritty, much like a pear. The fruit must be fully ripe for the tangy flavor to be appreciated. Their mild aroma is reminiscent of eucalyptus.

Feijoas are best when softened at room temperature prior to eating. Speed up the ripening process by placing in a brown bag with an apple until desired ripeness is achieved. Once they are soft and fragrant, Feijoas can be refrigerated for up to five days, or after removing the thin, bitter peel, puree the raw fruit and freeze for several months.

Sounds good but it has to be shipped from CA. Timing would be interesting.
perennialpam
perennialpam

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:01 pm

Annie I love your adventure.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:02 pm

People do try to sell their feijoas by the roadside. I imagine it is quite hard work for little return, especially in the rain we had yesterday, as it is hard enough to find people to give them away to. People either already have a supply or they dislike them.

At any rate, they are down to about $4 a kilo in the supermarkets. I think I might have better success selling the chutney. Added value, you know. But the other ingredients bump up the cost and there are probably rules against it anyway.

Which leads me to considering bartering. I wonder what I could get for a batch of dried feijoa slices?
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:21 pm

Hmmm. Find Out. Smile
perennialpam
perennialpam

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:15 am

Today I managed to barter one jar of feijoa chutney for .... wait for it.... another jar of feijoa chutney. Tried to give a gift to my sister, she gifted me one of hers in return. They look a little different, so that's something.
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:42 am

Laughing
perennialpam
perennialpam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 34 of 44 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 39 ... 44  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum