Simply Primal - Annie Tries Again

Page 27 of 36 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 31 ... 36  Next

Go down

Simply Primal - Annie Tries Again - Page 27 Empty Re: Simply Primal - Annie Tries Again

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:08 pm

Sounds lovely. Here's to a new year of plenty of same.
Heuristicfireflower
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Simply Primal - Annie Tries Again - Page 27 Empty Re: Simply Primal - Annie Tries Again

Post by Annieh on Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:40 pm

I have been AWOL from my journal for a very long time. In the interim I have had some excellent tramping adventures, most of which have left their mark.

New Year's Eve the family (husband, three daughters, son-in-law) followed me half way round the mountain in the rain and across some of the bumpiest farm tracks ever encountered, to a remote fifties cabin by the bush line.

Then we scouted round (SIL is a keen Rogainer, loves this kind of stuff) until we found a track and decided to see where it went.  We awarded my eldest dd Champion of Gruesome Discoveries, because first she came across a huge dead bird, and then a wartime plane wreck!  Husband set about photographing it, SIL tried to analyse its crash path, while daughters lurked and tried not to think about the five lives that were lost.

Unfortunately, in stepping over a log, I lingered too long, slipped and took a gouge out of my thumb, mud and leaves were pushed in under the skin and it bled profusely.  Two weeks later, and it's still a bit of a mess but getting there.

We went back to our fancy lodge with gas, and running water, and solar lighting, for vegan dinner of chilli beans and rice, we visited the glow worms by the waterwheel and stayed up till midnight playing card games and reading the funnies from 30 year old Readers Digest magazines, then mumbled our way through auld Lang Syne and went to bed.

Next morning was bright and sunny, we could see the mountain very close, and the exact opposite view to what we are used to.  We lounged around the place and left about lunch time, a fab start to 2019.
Annieh
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:25 pm

Thanks for sharing! I read this with a big smile except for the thumb, ouch!
The Walrus
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:09 am

Chocolate avocado mousse

This was a fabulously easy dessert to make, and pretty wholesome and delicious to eat.  

Chop two avocados.
Melt 200g dark chocolate.
Process till smooth while adding 1/2cup milk
Divide into serving dishes and set in fridge.

We had it with blackberries.

I think you could add a little more milk and/or use the juice from the canned blackberries to flavour and sweeten it even more, as well as maybe make it a little softer.
Annieh
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:41 am

Oh the magical discovery hike on NY eve! Wonderful with the exception of hurting yourself.

I may have to try your recipe above but I need to get more into my food changes before I start with the "sweets". I know myself well.

perennialpam
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:42 am

What a great escape! Walking in the rain is just neet (if warm, protected, WP boots). Is there a documented history of the downed plane?
Heuristicfireflower
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:34 pm

Heuristicfireflower wrote:  Is there a documented history of the downed plane?

Ventura Bomber 4 October 1944.
Just 150 metres was the difference between life and death for five men on a training run in a Ventura Bomber.

The bomber was on a navigational training flight from Ohakea when it crashed on Mount Taranaki, above Ihaia Road. The plane had hit the mountain in level flight and burst into flame on impact, killing the five men on board. They were Flight Officer Jack Martin, Sgt Harold Day, Sgt James McKay, Sgt Frank Webb and Sgt Arnold Hill.

If it had been 150 metres higher, the plane would have cleared the mountain and flown free.
Annieh
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:15 pm

Thanks for telling us and naming them. Sad.
perennialpam
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:33 pm

Sounds like a wonderful NYE other than the thumb. So happy the whole family could be involved in the hiking.

Neat about seeing the actual plane. Here in the states, it would have been cleared and you’d never know it happened.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:05 am

Today's hike was wet and arduous, there were moments when we struggled to remember why we do this. Like when the cloud conceals everything but the view of the vertical climb ahead of you. Or when you are on top of a rock and cannot see how to get down. Or especially when your fingers are so numb you can't work the plastic catches on your pack, which you desperately need to open to find wet weather leggings and chocolate. And finally when you have been walking on the same bearing forever and seem no closer to the road than you were an hour ago and wonder if you have inadvertently strayed onto the wrong track.

But then there the wonderful moments of satisfaction that make it all worth it. Reaching the trig in 3 hours, a good thirty minutes ahead of the signposted time. Watching the cloud clear away from the ridge you have just toiled up. Admiring the golden lilies which flower only here and only this time of year and which make the whole scene appear golden. Discovering the new track in the wilderness that you have only heard snippets about. Deciding not to turn back, despite having serious doubts about your actual location, and then reaching the road just five minutes later.

Meanwhile, the rain which made the summer hike so chilly and unpleasant, has filled everybody's tanks and refreshed the land. Wonderful.
Annieh
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:40 am

You describe it so well! Thanks for the description.

Glad for the wonderful end.
perennialpam
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:41 am

Annie I love how you describe you hike, just as Pam said. I feel like I am there. You should be a writer. Smile

Sounds wonderful.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:15 pm

So good to hear from you and of your adventures.  I know all too well that feeling of questioning the hike, the cold conditions, and whether you should keep walking on the bearing when it seems like you should already be there...  I hope your thumb heals soon!
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:56 pm

........which you desperately need to open to find wet weather leggings and chocolate

Well, of course, that is a VERY good reason to be frustrated. Don't get between a woman and her chocolate. Wink

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:37 am

I promised my daughter and her friend I would take them to swim in a secret waterfall. I also said it was only an hour's easy walk through the bush. Hah! That would have been too simple.

We made a leisurely start about 11am and after a short walk through the public park found the hidden path into the bush which I have travelled many times.  Since my last visit, new hunting trails have been developed in the area, and we soon found ourselves following one of them.  I knew it wasn't the actual track, but you all know how much I do like to explore.

Well, we reached the river, and rather than retrace our steps to the bush walk we opted to rock hop downstream in search of our swimming spot. It was a gorgeous day, and the young friend proved to be an excellent rock hopper.  My own daughters were less comfortable in the terrain, and while I was happy enough I am more of a rock plodder than a hopper these days.

The river twisted and turned, and the sun beat down on the rocks, as we focussed on keeping our balance.  Time went by.  One hour.  Two hours.

Suddenly, the girls stopped.  They had reached an impasse.  The river made a sudden drop into a narrow gorge, with an upside-down tree in the picture as well. Bother. I was pretty sure I could glimpse beyond to the smooth pool where the eels swim, and just beyond that would be the spot where the waterfall tumbles in from another stream.  So near and yet so far.

I declared another lunch break while I assessed our options.  We ruled out going forward, it was too hazardous.  I didn't want to go back upstream; we were all tired, one of the girls in particular was not coping too well anymore, and besides I had promised them a waterfall.

So while the girls ate their sandwiches I scrambled up the bank, through the mud and wild forest and tangled vines.  I almost gave up, but on my second attempt, minus backpack, I scrambled further and suddenly spied a bright pink ribbon, a sign that I am on someone's brand new route. I have always been pleased to find these ribbons, but you could say I was especially pleased this day.

So, I slithered back to the girls and brought them all up.  The track was so new the cut trees were still leaking sap, but it soon brought us to my original track and thus to the river below the impasse.  When they saw the waterfall the girls were incredulous, I think they didn't believe I could get them there.

They swam and played and took photos for Instagram and generally had a blast.  Going home, by the usual route, took only an hour but by the time we reached the car we had been out for five.  A memorable summer's day.

Last edited by Annieh on Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Annieh
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnTiger on Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:18 am

Another wonderful adventure, thank you for sharing.
It will be all the more memorable for the difficulties and the reward
AutumnTiger
AutumnTiger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:25 am

AT is right, the difficulties and final reward.

Perhaps they will now get the hike bug and ask to join you once in a while. What a wonderful adventure that ended in elation.
perennialpam
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:58 am

Annie what a wonderful day with the girls. I’m sure once they saw the waterfall, it made the trek there fade into the background.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:04 am

What a great story! I love your sense of adventure. And now it's benefiting others. Hopefully some of your adventurous side will inspire others in your group to go exploring.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:19 pm

This is the drop that almost stymied us:
Simply Primal - Annie Tries Again - Page 27 Img_2053

And here is the spot that made them laugh with delight when we finally arrived:
Simply Primal - Annie Tries Again - Page 27 Img_2055
Annieh
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:22 pm

Beautiful, and well worth the effort!  Sounds like a wonderfully memorable adventure that they will cherish.
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:30 pm

There's another hike I didn't report yet, though I am still bearing the scratches. We seem to have had more than a fair share of wet Mondays. We also seem to uncover questionable activity at times, and this was one of those times.

First we discovered a bush exit that we had previously given up on. It literally was only two minutes from where we had been searching, and we can't believe we missed it, although our excuse is that we were tired after a long day and it was growing dark.

Anyway, there was a privacy sign with Maori name on the gate so we followed the fence line beside the farm, trekking through the blackberry and long grass to a big driveway which led to a new subdivision that from the road no one would know existed.

At the road there were more signs saying no public access. However, since we were already in, we returned the way we came, back into the bush. The very next day there was a newspaper report informing that these exact signs carry no legal weight, the house has been built on a paper road and public access cannot be denied. Nevertheless, I am glad we were not seen.

Deep in the bush, but possibly still outside the park boundary (these things are hazy, as the bush escapes, haha), we noticed an enormous water pipe bolted to rocks, and slung to trees and leading hundreds of metres from the stream to the farm. Such things are usually illegal, but it's just possible the landowner has resource consent. It certainly would have been a major undertaking to install. Costly too.

My daughter says all my hiking stories begin with "well, we were GOING to do ...). and sure enough, after all that exploring, we were distracted from our plan A yet again when we spied another unknown track.

It seems to be ancient but was not on our maps, and we are glad to know it now because it brought us to a known track and we were able to loop back to our car. We do enjoy loops, and now we needn't use that dodgy access, even though we know where it is.

Annieh
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:05 am

The reward of finding that waterfall and the first glimpse of water....great pictures.

I have a waterfall story I should tell. I believe I have told prior and will not repeat on your journal page. Has to do with my actual first solo camping trip.

The exploration you are doing is fun to read. I guess I need take myself back to The Pines and find those paths that show up when the vegetation has died and the paths seem to become visible, slightly.

Well, haha
perennialpam
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:35 pm

Pam, it is interesting that your paths show up with the change of seasons.  Our forest is evergreen, so the main difference is that in winter the paths can become rivers, or perhaps just muddy trails.  Also, if hiking above the bush line, rain and cloud can obscure vision, or snow might cover the tracks and marker poles. So generally summer is marginally better for finding our way.

Definitely, go back to the Pines and have some fun.
Annieh
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:56 pm

How sad about the plane. Thanks for posting the story.

I can imagine the constant view on hike cutting through such lush verdant growth. That in itself, without reaching the goal, would be enough for me. Esp. to see the mist covering the trees. I love that atmospheric and moody view. Seems your weather conditions are similar to mine atm, lots of shiny leaves and streets and drops pattering on the head.

Heuristicfireflower
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 27 of 36 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 31 ... 36  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum