Simply Primal - Annie Tries Again

Page 26 of 43 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 34 ... 43  Next

Go down

Simply Primal - Annie Tries Again - Page 26 Empty Re: Simply Primal - Annie Tries Again

Post by perennialpam on Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:04 am

How'd the fence go Annie?  Hope the chickens understand their new job.  Smile
perennialpam
perennialpam

Back to top Go down

Simply Primal - Annie Tries Again - Page 26 Empty Re: Simply Primal - Annie Tries Again

Post by Annieh on Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:10 am

The chickens love their assignment, Pam Smile  The fence is adequate.  It is no work of art and nor would it deter a determined chicken or two, but the grapefruit tree is occupying their attention for now.  I will change things again once the job is done.

I got so excited about my meat that I forgot to report on this week's hike.  It was very successful, as we completed a circuit that we knew existed but have not been able to connect previously.  

The weather began wet and never fully cleared.  We experienced mud, and puddles, and river crossings, a steep climb up for an hour, misty views, an even steeper descent - more of a drop, really.

The whole loop took about 7 hours, but now we know the way could certainly be done faster, especially in fine weather.  The points we have gone wrong in the past are blindingly obvious now, there has been a lot of track formation, and there are many brand new stoat traps beside the path.  

We also discovered some cryptic labels on previously unnoticed tracks which beg to be explored in future.  We will never run out of things to do/places to go.

Here is a trap and some track markers:
Simply Primal - Annie Tries Again - Page 26 Img_2052
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:52 am

My son, a hunter, tells me that he disguises trails when he can.  

I have noticed in The Pines where I tend to walk often that you can eventually detect those trails that are not often used.  It is nice to find these places.  Glad you get to spend such a good amount of time hiking.
perennialpam
perennialpam

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:03 pm

Sounds like a wonderful hike. Happy to hear you finally managed the new track and found others that are begging to be explored.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:59 am

Pam, it's good practice to disguise hunting trails, or others that are not meant for the general public. I like walking on them, but I am a little shocked at how easy some of them are to locate. There have been occasions when people have accidentally left the main track and become lost because these kind of tracks have been more obvious than they should be.
Although, we are getting pretty good at following even when they are not very obvious at all.

NM, thanks, yes it was a good day.

Our baby girl is 18 - grown up before our eyes! I can hardly believe it. Bittersweet moment really as 'tis an end of an era. It is pouring wet tonight, we are hoping the forecast is correct that it will clear tomorrow as she would like a picnic. Only 24 guests invited, so outdoors would be a good option! However, won't be the end of the world if we have to use the church hall.
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:10 am

Have a wonderful celebration in honor of your DG.  

I always feel like a "scout" when I can walk a "secret" trail.
perennialpam
perennialpam

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:49 am

Annie I hope your weather clears for your daughters celebration. Yes, reaching adulthood is quite the bittersweet celebration for parents. Have an awesome day.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnTiger on Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:19 pm

Many happy returns to the birthday girl.

B was 17 this time, and C the eldest was 21, so just nine more months to go before DH is officially the father of two adults! :-)

Enjoy the celebrations!!
AutumnTiger
AutumnTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:47 am

Well the weather was fine, but too windy to make an outdoor picnic enjoyable so we held it indoors and everyone including the birthday girl seemed to have a pleasant time.  Too much food, chickens will have to help with the leftovers.

I have met two visitors from Finland and will be taking them hiking tomorrow afternoon.  They are decades younger than me, we will see how intrepid.  I imagine very capable, given that they have brought themselves all the way to NZ to help out on other people's farms.
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:13 am

Sounds like a wonderful day and celebration.

And, now for the fun of showing off your hiking skills and places.  The younger couple will love the help you give them Annie....
perennialpam
perennialpam

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:31 am

Sounds like a wonderful day.

Enjoy the hike
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:07 am

Hope you have an enjoyable hike.
Pedidoc
Pedidoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:55 pm

It was an absolute pleasure, mainly because both girls were so INTO nature. They were not particularly fast, because they stopped to hug the trees and listen to the birds and admire the moss and lichen and ferns growing on the dead stumps. It was delightful; I don't think I've ever had such appreciative hiking companions.

Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:52 am

I knew this would be a success for everyone involved.

perennialpam
perennialpam

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:59 am

Annie what a wonderful hike. So glad you had fun.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:59 am

Annieh wrote:Pam, it's good practice to disguise hunting trails, or others that are not meant for the general public.  I like walking on them, but I am a little shocked at how easy some of them are to locate. There have been occasions when people have accidentally left the main track and become lost because these kind of tracks have been more obvious than they should be.
Although, we are getting pretty good at following even when they are not very obvious at all.

NM, thanks, yes it was a good day.

Our baby girl is 18 - grown up before our eyes!  I can hardly believe it.  Bittersweet moment really as 'tis an end of an era.  

It's surreal, isn't it? Our son (our oldest child) turned 18 this year and it sort of took me by surprise. And then I read something last week that really stayed with me. It was talking about how our passions and purpose in life changes as we go through life. And it talked about when you have kids and how your life's purpose revolves around them then all of a sudden they're grown and you flounder a bit because your purpose is sort of just gone. And people (especially marriages) go either one of two ways - they either come together and find new passions, or they grow apart because they can't seem to grasp that they need to evolve. It's definitely an interesting place to be in, time-wise, and I never really gave it much thought until recently.

ONTARIO

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:04 pm

Ontario, exactly.  An older friend advised me the other day that we need to take care that we as a couple now find things to do together so that we will grow closer, not apart.  

It's potentially exciting, but definitely a big life shift, particularly when February comes and we drop off our dd in the other half of the country to embark on her new stage of life.
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:28 am

Annieh wrote:It was an absolute pleasure, mainly because both girls were so INTO nature.  They were not particularly fast, because they stopped to hug the trees and listen to the birds and admire the moss and lichen and ferns growing on the dead stumps.  It was delightful; I don't think I've ever had such appreciative hiking companions.

That sounds like a fun experience.  I love when others actually enjoy what I enjoy even more without prmpting them to pay attention..  Listening to the sounds of a forest or canyon trail - birds calling settling in for the night is such a sublime experience that I love. Confession:  I hug trees and whisper to flowers how wonderful they are when no one is looking.  :]
Heuristicfireflower
Heuristicfireflower

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:00 am

Annieh wrote:Ontario, exactly.  An older friend advised me the other day that we need to take care that we as a couple now find things to do together so that we will grow closer, not apart.  

It's potentially exciting, but definitely a big life shift, particularly when February comes and we drop off our dd in the other half of the country to embark on her new stage of life.

Easier said that done, that's for sure. Learning to let go is part of life. *hugs*

Hope you're enjoying your Spring time, with plenty of hikes, exploring new territory! Smile
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:23 am

I've been talking to plants my whole life! They answer by growing and flowering. flower

Very wise friend you have there - my sister and BIL made a concerted effort to reconnect when their youngest fledged and now 10 years later they are like honeymooners. So nice to see!
The Walrus
The Walrus

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:10 am

Oh, Walrus, that is indeed heartwarming to hear.  

True story, hope it makes you all smile:

I have a friend with a full white beard and a big tummy who was in my music room today to pick up his son, when my next pupil arrived.  

The child sat down at the piano, while behind her back the mother looked at me with the widest eyes and mouthed "Is that Santa???"

Lol.  He actually is!  He will be putting on his suit and taking photographs with kids at the shopping centre from now till Christmas, as he does every year.

Last edited by Annieh on Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:02 am

I'm smiling Annie!
perennialpam
perennialpam

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:05 pm

Merry Christmas Annie!
The Walrus
The Walrus

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:54 pm

Merry Christmas Annie
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:31 am

Thankyou, we have had a lovely Christmas.  Followed by lazy days walking on the beach, washing the house, watering my tomato plants and enjoying the company of my older daughters.
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 26 of 43 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 34 ... 43  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum