Simply Primal - Annie Tries Again

Page 23 of 24 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Go down

Re: Simply Primal - Annie Tries Again

Post by ONTARIO on Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:53 pm

I am in awe of your garden! I wish we had a growing season that supported so many awesome things!

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:05 am

This is where I want to move to!!!! Love the trip reports and your garden is so enviable. Seeing the trees and plants respond to ones care is so satisfying.
Anyway,New Zealand is one of my top bucket list items. SO lucky to be where you are. Keep sharing pics of your gorgeous environment.
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:06 am

Annieh wrote:Housewarming gift for my friend - limes and lemons from my garden in my home-made kono kai:

This new skill you're working on is so cool!!!
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:03 am

HFF, I am always grateful that I live here, and suspect it may indeed be the best place in the world.

Spring is still happening in my garden - something dramatic but unknown, then wisteria and apple blossom:

Got my workout pruning a huge michelia that was hanging over our guttering.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:28 am

Lovely flowers! Everything is going to sleep for the fall/winter here.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:36 am

Looks beautiful Annie.

I need to prune my roses back for winter. Get some weed pulled and basically put things to sleep. It’s nice to see spring when we are starting to face winter.

That said, I’m in shorts and it’s going into the 80’s today.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:48 am

Gorgeous pictures as usual.  We, too are in the high 80s this week, until Friday where we get 4 days in the 70s!  I cannot wait. Smile
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:09 pm

Our temps haven't warmed that much yet. I sowed some bean seeds on 18 September, that's 20 days ago. This morning I noticed three of them are up.

Today is headed for 17C, that is 62 for you people. Pleasant enough, but I won't be going swimming.

I will be hiking though, first time in a month! I am soooooo ready for it.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:37 pm

Sounds like perfect weather for a hike. Happy to hear the peas are starting to sprout.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:48 am

A wonderful hike today, after a bit of fluffing round getting car parked (illegally) near the track we wanted to exit from, then getting driven to another roadend altogether so that we could access the track we wanted to start from.

Set out just before 10am, hiking straight up, first over farmland, then a reasonable bush track, and then an unreasonable former-bush-track-now-eroded-and-unmaintained.  Emerged about 12.20 onto the plateau.  

Views here can be spectacular, or non existent.  Today was in between - too much cloud to see the coast or mountain properly, but not so much as to be raining or hailing on us, and wind was only mild.

From here we trekked down a little, then straight up again a steep slope to the high point of our day, where we met a pair of young tourists who had been waiting 45 minutes at the lookout for the view to clear.  It only grew worse with our arrival, it sometimes seems that we jinx it.

After a rest break and food we headed down into the bush again.  We were pleased to find new sections of boardwalk have been installed as last time we walked this track it was badly eroded with staircases leading to empty space, for example.  Crossed a couple of swing bridges high over beautiful rivers.

By the end of the day we were moving pretty slowly, having lost some fitness during a three-week break, and we reached the car at 4.15.  

Nearly 6 1/2 hours out in the fresh air has gone some way to restoring my sanity and optimistic mood.  Enough that I feel inspired to join NM on her New Beginning.

Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:58 am

What beautiful scenery. It's breathtaking. I am always in envy of the beautiful plants in your garden. It surely helps the soul to live in such a beautiful place.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:33 pm

I was all set for my New Beginning.  Got up early, did some flexibility, then went outside to water the garden, and pick some greens to go with last night's sweet and sour chicken and kumara that I had saved specially.  Then I looked up to see my dd in the kitchen!  

This was unexpected as she normally sleeps in during the school holidays.  I suddenly remembered she had an early dance class and began to fear for my breakfast.  Sure enough, she was just getting it out of the microwave when I came in with my green leaves.  

Luckily for me, she saw the look on my face and offered me the chicken.  I was not about to say no, that would have been a poor start to my primal day.  So I have eaten it, and she is having banana on toast, haha.  

I am so looking forward to not having to feed this girl next year.  It feels like every three hours for the last 18 years I have been doing it and I am over it.  Mean, but that's the way I feel.

If anyone knows how to deter other people's cats from using my freshly weeded garden as a litter box, I am all ears.  The neighbours have obviously trained them not to do their business at home, by default they do it at my place and I'd really rather not have to face that first thing in the morning.

Ontario, thanks for dropping in again.  I agree with you on the therapeutic powers of nature, but please don't be too impressed by my garden, understand that my camera angles are very selective.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by marcadav on Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:18 pm

My neighbor's cats always used my flower beds as a litter box until I switched to rubber mulch. I haven't had to clean up after the cats since.

marcadav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:16 pm

Love your pictures and stories of adventure.

We just had our first snow so it feels a bit like the long dark is closing in at the moment - we've had several grey days in a row which is unusual for us and I begin to despair. It is likely temporary and we'll go back to having a lovely autumn shortly - at least that is how I would run things if I were in charge of the weather. Meanwhile, I shall enjoy your lovely pictures of living growing things!

Nope, not mean to be over feeding kids. And at 18 I think it is fair that you claim the chicken, she can surely fend for herself.

You can put pokey things in the ground to deter the cats - they make mats for that, but cats are wiley critters... might not work. Actually, I wonder what the neighbors used?
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:46 pm

Annie I loved reading about your glorious hike. The pictures are awesome once again.

Happy to hear you caught your primal breakfast. Thanks for joining me. Tomorrow will be my “official” start.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:09 am

Day One

B: Two leaves of silverbeet with chicken and kumara sweet and sour. A banana.

S: Whole pear (I had bought some cottage cheese to have with this, but kind of neglected to add it.  Better luck next time).

L: Two fried eggs, carrot and peanut butter. Chunk of cheese.

D: Lamb spare ribs, roast pumpkin, onion and green beans.  Also a handful of raisins while I was waiting. Tut tut.  

S: Chocolate mint biscuit.  I took this by mistake!!!!!!!!!! Before I remembered that I was making a New Beginning, lol.  By the time it was in my hands I had to eat it, so I nibbled slowly and with enjoyment - at least I do actually like these, it would have been worse if I had mindlessly accepted a non-treat.

Exercise - nothing particularly energetic but remembered to do my flexibility first thing.

So, not a brilliant start to my New Beginning, it shows up just how many bad habits I have been getting into.  Meals too small/Not enough protein.  Too much snacking on cheese and dried fruit.  Not enough movement in general.  Can only get better from here.

From the garden: Japonica, something with white flowers, and limes for which I have a fresh appreciation having seen them in the supermarket this week for $29.90 per kg, imported from Vanuatu.  Much as I would like to support my pacific neighbours, I have more than I can use dropping every day right now.

Last edited by Annieh on Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:35 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Add chocolate biscuit, haha.)
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:00 am

Beautiful pictures! Garden as well as hike.

Good start on your New Beginnings, awareness is key to change.
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:49 am

Annie - your first day was a good one, it allowed you to see where you might want to make improvements. Smile.

Love the pics. Wish I could grow limes here.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:14 pm

Thanks NM. All the best for your first day too.

We didn't know our lime tree would grow so well when we planted it, thinking it would stay a smallish shrub and it is now as tall as a building. It's not very healthy actually, but it's the wrong time to prune right now and difficult to get water or fertiliser to as it is in a tight corner (good for shelter) and very prickly as well. Nevertheless, it keeps producing limes.

My period started today, that is well timed for my New Beginning. I always have more willpower at this time of the month than the end.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:29 pm

Huh...lime trees are prickly. I had no idea. I don't really live in a lime climate but I have seen a citrus grove and didn't remember that. Learned something new!

By the way, don't know if you have a FitBit but they just came out with period tracking on their apps. I think it just started this month. Could be a handy tool.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:55 pm

Lime trees don't LOOK prickly, until you get jabbed by a nasty thorn. I have learned to be wary.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:14 pm

Annie I’m glad you cycle is on target with your New beginning. Smile

I didn’t know that about lime trees either.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:03 pm

No sooner do I learn something then so does everyone around me as I just can't help sharing new knowledge.

Pleased to find I am feeling better already.  Lunch is extremely late but I did not succumb and buy chocolate or liquorice, yay for me.  This is partly due to my current awareness and willpower to do well, but also because my lamb breakfast was actually sustaining enough.  Pleased to be back doing what I know works.

Day Two:

B: Tangelo from the garden.  Lamb spare ribs, pumpkin and potato.

L: Sliced pear with cottage cheese and cinnamon.  Chocolate pancakes (Blend one banana, two eggs, vanilla essence, cocoa powder. Panfry in butter). A little butter on top, but only a sliver as I would rather be burning some of this surplus fat I have been carrying around lately).

D: Venison sausage, steamed carrots, potato, asparagus and beans. Roasted cauliflower. Plus two slices of cheese to keep me going while I cooked it all.

NM, I have acquired another loom! It is an Ashford rigid heddle. I am so happy. It was already warped by the previous owner, so a weaving mentor helped rewind that for better tension and I have made a scarf tonight!!

Last edited by Annieh on Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:03 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add meal.)
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:47 am

Annie - you are doing awesome! Not sure I mentioned but I made some sausage from ground lamb. Yum

Wow, another loom, look at you go. And you have a scarf already. Fantastic!
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:24 pm

Apparently, Looms Are Sly - They Multiply.  or so I was told today.

Have warped it again, but I had the help of two other women when I only needed one and as a result I am pretty sure the tension is firmer on the left half than the right.  Now I can't decide if it's worth weaving my next item, when I don't expect be happy with the result.  Probably going to  undo what I have started and go right back to that winding on stage all over again.  GOT TO GET THIS RIGHT.  Can't let it beat me.

Also, as a result, lunch was extremely late again.  I am not adapted enough yet to sail through unconcerned as I remember doing a few years ago when I was really on a primal roll.

Day Three:

B: Vege Omelette (leek, silverbeet, two eggs, milk, salt, pepper, parsley and grated cheese.  Cooked in butter).  Tangelo.

L: Peanut butter off the spoon (I was getting desperate).  Apple with cottage cheese and cinnamon.  Venison sausage.

D: Stir fry beef and vegetables: Onion, garlic, ginger, ground beef, silverbeet, 1/2 pkt mixed veges, 1 tsp honey, 1 Tbspn peanut butter. A little soy sauce to serve because I forgot to add salt.

Last edited by Annieh on Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:58 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Add dinner)
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 23 of 24 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum