Simply Primal - Annie Tries Again

Page 21 of 24 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next

Go down

Re: Simply Primal - Annie Tries Again

Post by Annieh on Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:05 pm

I have my first commission.

I offered my most recent and best kono to my dd, but when she saw the smaller one I made earlier, she asked for a set of four like that for the tables in her art classroom, so that the children's pencils will not go missing.

So today I set about meeting her request.  I found a different flax bush, with slightly greener and more flexible leaves, they are very enjoyable to work with.  Unfortunately I made one basket far too large for pencils, and one just right.  So I am half way there, but I used up all the flax and will have to go harvest some more.  

It would be nice to get them done tomorrow so that she can have them for school on Monday.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:40 am

Annie that is so sweet that your DD wants them for her students. Fantastic. Won’t be long before others will be asking for your work.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:47 pm

Done and dusted.

After a weekend crafting, I will be ready for a day out in the bush tomorrow.

Food is alternating between primal and wildly unprimal.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:00 am

Due to your entries above I googled Flax Bush and found a great video about how to prune it and the spiritual/ceremonial part of cutting it. I do not know if "spiritual" is the correct word as I did not understand the words she said before cutting. I cutting it downward away from the center of the plant made sense to me.

I have yuccas and they would probably respond the same way. The idea is to have the rain fall away from the plant's center. I have always thought that I could use those leaves to do something with myself. I am fairly certain that is a possibility.

Thanks for the education.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:39 am

Hi Pam, thanks for your interest. It gets more and more intriguing the more one gets involved.

I think you could rightly describe the whole process as spiritual.

The words said beforehand are a "Karakia" or prayer. Depending on one's own spirituality they can be a prayer of thanks to the Creator, or to the earth, or acknowledgement and thanks to/for the ancestors and to the Flax itself.

The method of cutting certainly has practical benefits and will improve the health of the plant over time. The waste flax is also meant to be returned to the earth as mulch.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:14 pm

Here comes a rant about hospital food.

This is what was on the tray of a patient recovering from bowel surgery:

Creamy mushroom soup.

Tinned peaches.

Fresh mandarin.

Ham sandwich (two thick slices of grainy bread, one thin slice processed meat, smear of relish and possibly margarine or butter).

4 Biscuits.

2 pkts Crackers.

Two slices processed cheese.

Cup of milo.

Bottle of meal-replacement drink, vanilla flavoured.

What is the dietician thinking?????????????  So much gluten!!! And so many processed items, understandable given the environment, but still.

Luckily he didn't eat most of it, only the soup, the peaches, the milo and one half of the sandwich.  Not a bad selection, given the options, however, I wished I could have slipped the extra ham and cheese into that one sandwich. Had it been me, I could have eaten only the fillings.  The milkshake is designed to have maximum nutrition but unfortunately (or possibly fortunately) he doesn't like it.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:26 am

Annie I so hear you on hospital food. It lacks to very much.

Years ago when I had my hyster, my tray included soda and all sugary stuff. I told them, I don’t eat sugar. Finally got a cup of herbal tea.

When I got past clear liquids, they continued to send desserts. I talked directly to dietary and they asked about fruit cups. I said only if they are in their natural juice. I get applesauce laden w/sugar. YUCK.

No one is going to heal properly with what you get served in a hospital. Even if you don’t eat primal.

And those replacement drinks, basically what I have to feed DH and
I cringe everytime. Large cans of corn syrup laced with Vitamins.
UGG
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:33 am

Yup, when I was in the hospital a couple of months ago I was given a sandwich despite having put in my records that I am coeliac, and also mentioning this a time or two or three. I was told there was nothing else available. I asked for a few slices of ham, chicken, or other meat such as that found in the sandwich, and an apple or other whole fruit, maybe even some carrot or celery sticks...nope. Those aren't available. Just the packaged sandwiches. Seriously?
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:33 am

These hospital food situations are really sad, sad, sad. Health...shouldn't the hospitals be part of the solution?
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:52 pm

I completely agree on the horrible quality of hospital food. What the heck??? I did like the bacon though...
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:42 pm

I've just had another wonderful day out in the big wide world of nature.

It was pretty special to share one of our favourite secret routes with my sister.  We had several different types of terrain and environment, as well as a variety of weather conditions.

The snow was blindingly white, but beautifully soft, and the sun was shining, at least some of the time.  So while our pace was slower than usual, it just gave us all the more time to enjoy the experience.

Once again, I was the one creating the trail for others to follow.  No crampons this time, just poles for balance, and good solid boots for kicking steps into the snow.  It was so soft we found ourselves over knee deep at times.

Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:46 pm

Wow, it seems like it could be a very challenging walk.  You amaze me with your stamina.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:21 am

So glad you were able to share this with your sister. Beautiful vista.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:56 am

Sounds like an excellent adventure. My sister would have stayed in the vehicle... So glad you two could enjoy it together.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:08 am

Such absolute beauty. Thank you so much for sharing with us.

Someday I will make it to NZ, someday
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:56 pm

Some of us have stamina for different things, but yes, Pedi, the walk was quite challenging at times.  The hardest part for me was climbing up out of the riverbed, it is a steep haul and we had already been on our feet for many hours - more than usual as we were slowed down by both the snow and by one person being less fit.

Pam, there are not many people we could have shared this outing with, so both my sister and I are very glad that she was up for it.

M2M, my sister was tempted to stay at the first hut and wait for us to loop around several hours later, but to her credit she did the entire trek.

NM, I am waiting for you Smile

Going Up (the steep road track - doesn't look very steep here but is aptly named The Puffer)

Going Across (the soft white snow - falling knee deep at times and with snow melt dripping on us from the cliffs above)

Going Down (through our magical secret tree tunnel)
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:32 pm

Tough girls! Wow, shorts in the knee deep snow. The pictures show just what was needed for a walk such as this.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:40 am

Annie - so lovely and what diversity in climate. I too noticed the shorts in the snow.

I’m coming Annie.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:37 pm

I'm smiling today because I bought my DD some clothes, not only did she love them but she received compliments on her outfit and even admitted to her friends that her mother bought it for her.  Happy I got it right Smile

And my other DD hasn't lost a single pencil since using my little woven baskets in her classroom.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:12 pm

Fantastic! DD is growing up. Always feels nice to get those compliments from our kids. Smile
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:37 am

Not that you, of all people, need a reminder of that... Wink
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:01 am

Lovely quote Annie, thank you for sharing. And yep, sometimes we do need the reminder. Smile
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:10 am

LB shared the quote, it is very apt and I like it a lot.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:50 am

Oops sorry, thank you LB. My bad, not paying attention.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:40 pm

And today was the perfect example of that kind of hike.  It was nearly 10am when we set out, there is lots of fresh snow and we were expecting it could be icy and/or soft enough to create avalanches, so we knew we would have to make decisions as we went.

In the event we walked to a nice vantage point, with spectacular views to distant snow-covered mountains, where we lingered, taking photos and watching the birds swoop over the valleys.  There were some cool ice formations in the shady spots.We could see and hear drifts of snow falling off the rocks as they melted in the sun.  

The snow was soft enough to walk in boots but for the return we put on crampons and that made the walk even more straightforward.  I had time to play around a bit in the fresh snow no one else has been on yet.

Back at the car within 5 hours, a reasonably short day for us, but beautiful).

Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 21 of 24 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum