Simply Primal - Annie Tries Again

Page 19 of 42 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 30 ... 42  Next

Go down

Simply Primal - Annie Tries Again - Page 19 Empty Re: Simply Primal - Annie Tries Again

Post by Annieh on Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:02 pm

I tackled another neglected patch today, and unearthed some fresh potatoes by surprise, so they are cooking right now for my breakfast, lol.

I planted some celery and brussels sprouts in yesterday's plot, and made a netting cover for it to keep the birds out, as they already made a mess overnight.  It is ugly but hopefully functional.
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Simply Primal - Annie Tries Again - Page 19 Empty Re: Simply Primal - Annie Tries Again

Post by Meant2Move on Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:14 pm

Garden bonus, yippee! I love homegrown potatoes. Probably the thing I miss most for not having a garden this year.
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:55 am

Annie what a wonderful surprise. Here’s hoping the other veg do well.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:51 pm

Nice potato find! We didn't plant a garden this year, but have a full box of cucumbers anyway. They came up from remaining seeds that were in the garden from last year. At least we're pretty sure they are cucumber. We'll find out soon enough I suppose. Smile
tomi1000
tomi1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:37 am

What an amazing day I had in nature.  We drove round to the ski field, but the road was a little snowy and my friend was not happy about that so we took the car back to the lower carpark and walked up the road (3km, about an hour).  Then we walked round to the ski lodge, about another half hour, and it was snowing on us, so so beautiful!!!!!!!!! I couldn't have been happier.  

The ski field was closed of course, but enough snow on it for us to trudge up underneath the t-bar tow, and skid down again on our bottoms.  Our friends had obtained a key to the lodge, which was deserted, so they cooked up bacon and eggs and we had our joint party there, while looking at the weather alternate between sunshine and snow outside.  

Going home, we didn't need to save time so we walked down through the bush, instead of the road, which was beautiful. There were even rainbows.  What a lovely lovely day.

Last edited by Annieh on Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:22 am

A perfect day in my view too. I love snow.

And having a primal party at a deserted lodge - sounds like a whole bunch of fun to me.
perennialpam
perennialpam

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:42 am

That sounds like a wonderfully relaxing day. Smile
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:11 am

View of ski field from the lodge window:
Simply Primal - Annie Tries Again - Page 19 Img_2014

In the bush:
Simply Primal - Annie Tries Again - Page 19 Img_2015
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:56 am

Another grand adventure!
Pedidoc
Pedidoc

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:24 am

Oh, I just want to be there too! Thanks for the pictures.
perennialpam
perennialpam

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:34 pm

Annie I hope someday I can visit your neck of the woods. It looks so awesome.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:27 pm

where exactly is "your neck of the woods" ???? Beautiful country!
tomi1000
tomi1000

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:19 pm

Beautiful! We were driving to the next town and some snow topped mountains ( probably Baw Baw) came into view - I shouted “snow!” like a child Smile
The Walrus
The Walrus

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:21 am

Feeling very capable this week, haha. Our hike took us up above the snow line, mostly it was nice and soft but just before the hut came a sloped and icy patch, and this is where my crampons came in handy.

Standing on my left leg, and scuffing up the snow with my right so that my less confident friend could follow in my footsteps. We each wore one full crampon and one smaller one that only really had a few prongs.

Behind her came a French tourist who was out there in sneakers with not even poles, let alone crampons. Another hour later, two more women also made use of my trail, so I felt my hard work was well worthwhile.

Conditions were brilliant when we set out, our first fine Monday all winter! The cloud closed in a little later, but I was already well satisfied with my day.

Simply Primal - Annie Tries Again - Page 19 Img_2016
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:51 am

While I've hiked up mountains....not in the snow. I applaud you and glad you had crampons. Hopefully your friend will purchase some herself but so nice of you to share. The other hikers probably had no idea how much easier you made their ascent.

Beautiful picture.
perennialpam
perennialpam

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:50 am

Annie - so beautiful. I love hearing about your hikes. Wonderful.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:15 am

such beauty!
tomi1000
tomi1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:49 pm

Sounds like another excellent adventure. Lovely picture.
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:03 pm

Tonight I feel tired but happy, (and potentially sore) after today's seven-hour hike.  It was one of those days that turned out unexpectedly even better than planned!  

First, we spent over an hour manoeuvring our cars into position, so that we could walk into the national park by one route and out by another.

The next hour was gorgeous, if damp, as we traipsed through the lush bush in the rain and splashed in mud and puddles.  We crossed a few rivers looking as pretty as possible, with their green mossy rocks, and clear rushing water.  Then we came to a log jam on another river, and this one we decided was uncrossable today.  That is to say, perhaps we could have succeeded if our lives depended upon it, and/or if we were prepared to remain saturated for the rest of the day.  But otherwise we needed to turn back.

So, after an hour retracing our steps, we stopped for lunch just 5 minutes or so within the park boundary, and reassessed our goals. We decided to take the steps straight up, walk across the top of the plateau and then turn down the unmaintained track that would eventually lead back to our first car - about 5 hours hiking (Our plan A would have bypassed all but the last 30 minutes or so of this).

Up we went.  The weather cleared.  We emerged onto the plateau to see the mountain in all its glory, covered in blinding white snow, and only a few wispy clouds (Pic #1).  We began to get excited, because next on our route are the tarns that we have visited many times, but never in these conditions.  Sometimes the plateau is shrouded in mist, other times lashed by wind and hail, sometimes coated in ice and snow, and the mountain is inclined to cloak himself in cloud just minutes before we arrive. But today, we took him by surprise.

At the famous viewpoint, we met a sweet young Japanese couple, and I took a photo of them sitting cross-legged like five-year-olds on the platform.  They arrived in our region only yesterday, and were happy to learn how lucky they are to have come on a good day with such a view (Pic #2).  No one else was in sight!  We were amazed to have the scene to ourselves.

After enjoying the moment, we continued on to our abandoned track, skidded down the clay banks, squelched through the mud and picked our way down to the bush line, emerging onto the paddocks as the light was turning golden (Pic #3). Luckily, the cattle were fenced in the next paddock over, and we were soon back at the car.  

As we drove back along the winding country roads to our other car, sunset turned our snowy mountain pink, the end of a perfect day.
Simply Primal - Annie Tries Again - Page 19 Img_2018

Simply Primal - Annie Tries Again - Page 19 Img_2017

Simply Primal - Annie Tries Again - Page 19 Img_2019

Last edited by Annieh on Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:43 pm

Wow what a wonderful hike. Love the pictures as well. You always make me so relaxed the way you describe your adventures. Thank you.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:19 pm

I'd hike 7 hours to see that view.
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:12 pm

Great views.
Pedidoc
Pedidoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Greensprout on Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:37 pm

Amazing!!
Greensprout
Greensprout

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:57 pm

Rig, exactly. So worth it. The direct hike TO the view is around 2 hours total. But of course first you have to get to NZ, from Japan or wherever, then find someone to take you all the way to the end of the road. And having seen the tarns, you then have to hike down again. The shortest path is also the most demanding on the body, being mainly wooden steps, very jarring. Other routes are gnarly in different ways, and longer. So it is a real adventure.

NM, agreed. My friend and I say that our tramps are like taking a mini-holiday every week. We are literally above and away from the demands of our daily lives, with attention only for the spectacular environment around us. However, at the time there was nothing very relaxing about our day, being totally engrossed in taking the next step in front of our feet, without dropping thigh deep into a muddy puddle, careering down a slimy clay bank, or slipping off a moss-covered rock into the ice cold stream, to name just a few of the hazards. I thought I had done pretty well in this respect, but when I washed off the mud later, I discovered new bruises I don't remember acquiring.

Pedidoc, Greensprout: Yep.
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:06 pm

What a wonderful adventure! Lovely pics, wish I had been with you!
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 42 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 30 ... 42  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum