Simply Primal - Annie Tries Again

Page 15 of 21 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 21  Next

Go down

Re: Simply Primal - Annie Tries Again

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:07 pm

Interesting. I'm more inclined to get irked by references to "girls" when it should be "women" and "guys" as a gender neutral term. And I'm not certain if I am just overly sensitive to it, but it sure seems as if the girls thing happens far more than any reference to "boys" as if the distinction for women were less clear or we are easier to push into a childish position.

I think I just don't hear "ladies" much... I would agree with Rig's definitions though.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:04 am

^ I also find "guys" to be an interesting generic usage as you point out. If you watch Survivor, you've seen umpteen seasons of the host saying "Come on in guys!" as the tribes come in for a challenge.

FWIW, I adopted the usage of "girls" to refer to a group of grown women in my youth. My Dad used it all the time and told me that he did so because he thought "girls" was easier on the several elderly women in our extended family. I never thought it might not be received well.

It is always "Boys night out" or "Girls night out" not men/women. Perhaps due to the likely childish behavior that will ensue?
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:59 pm

So, one of our "girls" won the "ladies" hammer throw. She was delightful to watch in interview afterwards, very pleased and still so surprised that her win hadn't really sunk in.

Confusingly, we also won a medal in the women's weightlifting. However the competitor was a transgender person ie formerly a man. It seems very unfair to the other competitors.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:15 pm

Not confusingly. Imo it is a travesty.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:58 pm

Hmm, have to agree, that does not seem fair.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:56 am

Me 3, not fair at all.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:22 am

Perhaps transgenders need their own competition.

perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:14 am

As a practicing "old fart", "right wing fundamentalist extremist", and "male chauvinist pig", I'd say no to a separate competition. I'll be ready to reassess that opinion whenever human DNA has something other than XX and XY to denote sex.

Besides, a separate competition would entail at least 2 new competitions M==>F being one F==>M being the other, cause we must be fair, dontcha know. Plus who knows how many other varieties and subsets would be demanded?
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by katierose on Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:33 pm

Completely unfair and I feel bad for the girls who were robbed of their medals.

Sent from Topic'it App

katierose

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:48 am

Our hockey players had an exciting win.  The commentators referred to them variously as girls, women, and ladies.  I guess anything goes.

The weavers group is a little painful, the membership is elderly, and therefore slow, and little was accomplished at our meeting, leaving me and one other new weaver frustrated and still no closer to knowing how to warp our looms.

However, I went back to the man who gave me my loom, and he demonstrated/let me help with another narrow warp. His wife gave me three chokos. They are so neutral you can use them as a fruit or a vege. Two made it into a coconut curry, and the other into a feijoa crumble.

It didn't take me long to finish weaving that piece, and so now I am keen to see if I can do a better job all by myself. To this end I bought some wool, it's not even labelled so not sure what it is but looks sweet and so it will do for this my first trial.  

Heard nothing about the gym job, applied for a retail one.  Fashion!!!!  Never been my thing, but hey, I can learn. We'll see what comes of it.  I am afraid the pay will be too low, it won't be worth taking if I end up losing students over it.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:05 am

Annie, good luck with the fashion job. My wife works in retail sales in that field. She had never worked in that arena either when she got the job, and her main qualification was having a good ear to listen to customers and a good eye for what would look good on them. And it pays better than she originally thought. She gets a bonus on her sales. It's not a straight commission, but a complicated process based on various individual sales, but it can be lucrative when she has significant sales. On any day, she can make anywhere from 0 to > her hourly salary depending on how the sales break out by size of sale.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:02 am

Thanks Rig, for the encouragement.  I am still waiting to hear back.

Meanwhile, I have made a Scarf for a Giraffe.  I got a little carried away, and it is 2.4m long, plus fringes.

Warm up a snowy day with this very soft and extra-long handwoven scarf.

The zigzag design is a traditional birdseye weave and is enhanced by gelato-toned flecks of ice blue, candy apple and lemon.

Finished with a narrow band of tabby weave on each end, with 15cm fringes, the body of the scarf measures approximately 25cm by a generous 2.4m long - enough to wrap around at least twice for that super snuggly look and feel.

Crafted on a New Zealand-made folk loom, using 100% acrylic yarn for lightweight warmth and easy care. Hypoallergenic.

Last edited by Annieh on Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:24 am

Beautiful!
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:22 am

Awesome Annie, love the sales pitch tool Smile

You are doing fantastic with your weaving. Makes me want to get my loom warped.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by katierose on Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:15 am

Gorgeous!

katierose

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:41 pm

Well done. Great write-up too.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:10 pm

I was just having fun with the description. This scarf will be a gift for my sister-in-law (hopefully she would let me borrow it back to show at my weaver's group some time), but I would like to see how far I can take this hobby and maybe sell them at a craft fair one day.

NM, thanks. Now I understand why you can find time for your knitting but the loom has to wait. The weaving itself is fun and relaxing and quite addictive - just a few more rows - but the set up requires time and careful concentration. Interruptions do not help.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:22 pm

Annie you are correct about the set up. Add to the fact that it’s upstairs doesn’t help matters much. Although I could pull down my rigid heddle loom, like the first one you worked on, only a bit bigger and do that in the room, but it’s the warping that creates the issue

Selling at a craft fair would be wonderful, hopefully people there will have more respect for the craft. I have heard weavers here lament that people don’t want to pay you your worth for your wares here.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:56 pm

The scarf is absolutely beautiful. You sure have advanced your knowledge of this craft.

Good luck with a possible business.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:01 pm

following along - but seldom comment Smile

On the transgender weight lifting --- totally not fair!

On the scarf --- wow! Smile nice job!
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:14 pm

I spent most of yesterday outside, and by the end of the day I was extremely tired but in the nicest possible way. Feeling the muscles a little this morning, as I did a lot of pruning with the saw and clippers and secateurs. Mainly I dealt to one bush and part of my untameable wisteria vine. Today's work will be to transfer the huge pile of clippings off the front lawn into a better spot to decompose, perhaps under the plum tree in the chicken yard? I wish I had an enormous compost bin system, I have asked for one many times and only promises have been forthcoming. Weather is beautiful. Roast chicken dinner with kumara and gravy was divine.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:01 am

You have inspired me to get out there and start cutting back the invasive vines I have in my side yard.  It is not like I have not tried before to get them under control but I fear that by clipping them back, they are invigorated.  

And I like that feeling of being extremely tired from working outside.  That is why the inside of my house is not as clean as it should be.  haha

I made my compost bin with palletes that seem to be excessive in the USA.  Just a thought.

Last edited by perennialpam on Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:16 pm

Annie it sounds like a wonderful day.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:04 pm

Composting in the chicken yard sounds like a win to me and the chickens will like it too.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Fri May 04, 2018 2:28 am

Gorgeous weather today.

I've embarked on a Tidying phase again.  Pulled out my dresser from the wall and dusted everything, cleaned the windows, washed the nets and brushed out the curtains in the sunshine.

I decided to removed the drawers and air everything, which at first thought might be taking things a little far, until I discovered a large black spider scurrying around inside the furniture and felt vindicated.

I've had the dresser for three decades, it's nothing fancy, but there's nothing wrong with it either.  I've decided that since I use it daily then I need to take care of it - at least with satisfaction if not pure joy- and ensure that it contains only belongings that really, truly deserve the space.

So, a few items have been sent to the op shop, yet again, some to the bin, and some winter things had been sitting there long enough to become musty and need washing before I use them this coming winter.

Rehung the curtains, which badly need upgrading (along with the paint, wallpaper, window and door handles, mattress, pillows and reading lamp). Polished my tap shoes and a belt, and that turned out to be a day's work.  

I'm a bit annoyed about that, and feel resolved to continue towards owning only minimal possessions, since even a few take quite a bit of time!  

So I moved around a lot slowly, played the piano, and made a cottage pie for dinner.  Averagely primal day.

Last edited by Annieh on Wed May 09, 2018 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 21 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 21  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum