Simply Primal - Annie Tries Again

Page 11 of 44 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 27 ... 44  Next

Go down

Simply Primal - Annie Tries Again - Page 11 Empty Re: Simply Primal - Annie Tries Again

Post by Narrowminded on Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:29 am

Annie, the roller bars are called beams. Bars work. Yes generally you work from the bottom up and continue to roll the lower bar/beam with the finished weaving and bring the unwoven weft into view. You are doing great!
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Simply Primal - Annie Tries Again - Page 11 Empty Re: Simply Primal - Annie Tries Again

Post by Annieh on Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:25 am

I am reasonably chuffed with my next weaving.  I found some thicker dark brown wool for the warp, and used a multi coloured silky feeling yarn for the weft.  Here's what happened:
Simply Primal - Annie Tries Again - Page 11 Img_2023

The colours don't look quite right, sorry.
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:27 am

Annie - I really like your weaving and learning the new-to-me terms associated with it. It is lovely.
perennialpam
perennialpam

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:07 pm

Very nice Annie. Great job with the salvages. Generally the hardest thing to learn, but it seems you have a good handle on it. You’re a natural
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:56 pm

We had a bit of a storm last night, nothing too dramatic at my place, but enough rain and wind to do a bit of damage around the place.  Lo and behold, the council issued a boil water order this morning.  THis was closely followed by ALL the schools literally closing and sending everyone home.

Grrrr, this is so annoying.  It's a beautiful day, the kids were safe and learning.  Why not just keep the taps turned off for them, instead of sending them out onto the streets and summonsing all the parents from their various places of work and activity several hours early?  It's chaos out there, with children hitchhiking for goodness sake.  

Even the after school dance classes are cancelled.  They are held in an empty hall, no water in sight.  It's madness.

In brighter news, before the storm I went tramping again, with my daughter.  It was a nice outing, at 4 1/2 hours perhaps not as long as I could have managed but enough for her.  

Also, I continue with my new weaving obsession:

Simply Primal - Annie Tries Again - Page 11 Img_2025

Simply Primal - Annie Tries Again - Page 11 Img_2024
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:37 pm

Very nice weaving.
Pedidoc
Pedidoc

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:33 am

I think you are a natural, Annie.

Beautiful creations.
perennialpam
perennialpam

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:13 pm

My latest creation drying on the trampoline:
Simply Primal - Annie Tries Again - Page 11 Img_2026
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:28 pm

You must have an instructional book for creating patterns. Quite nice.

What fun to have a hobby that stretches you.

perennialpam
perennialpam

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:52 pm

Random call today, someone wants to do a bone density scan to assess whether the reason I broke my wrist is because I am developing osteoporosis as I go into menopause.

I think it's just because I stepped on an extremely slippery rock and landed with my whole weight on my left hand. But we shall see. I was intrigued enough to agree, no cost to me, just a bit of time.

Pam, I do have a weaving book from the library and also have been googling and searching Pinterest intensively.
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:12 am

perennialpam wrote:
What fun to have a hobby that stretches you.

Right now Pam it's doing my head in.  Hence I am taking a break to rest my brain before trying again.  The pattern I am trying to do has a six row repeat, which doesn't sound too bad, but I keep losing track.  

Learning something new also does me good as a teacher, giving me sympathy for the difficulties some of my students have trying to grasp new musical concepts that now seem very basic to me.

School is still cancelled!!! That's a day and a half they have missed so far, and another day tomorrow. For no good reason that I can understand. The water is still flowing in the pipes, there's enough to flush the toilets and wash your hands, surely the kids can bring boiled water from home and the teachers have a Zip in the staffroom. I don't get it. Never mind, the weather's lovely, they can all have a nice day, but the school year is off to a very disrupted start, my dd hasn't had a full week yet.

Dinner was meatballs, peas, and corn on the cob.
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:20 am

The bone density test is good to have for information. I am sure you are correct but knowing the outcome will be helpful.

Seems like there would be contact from the schools exactly why school has been cancelled since the water is running. Even a radio announcement. Hmmm.
perennialpam
perennialpam

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:46 am

The water is running, but it is not guaranteed safe to drink. I think cancelling school is an overreaction, surely everyone can bring their bottles. However, hopefully pipe is now fixed, though it will take a few days to refill the reservoir.

My latest: Simply Primal - Annie Tries Again - Page 11 Img_2027
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:04 am

Very nice, I like the pattern in the weave.
Pedidoc
Pedidoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:36 pm

Annie, very nice weaving

As to keeping track of the rows. Write the numbers 1-6 on a paper with a little space between, the. Use a magnet and place beside, above or below the row you are on. Move it as you finish a row. You will always know where you are Smile
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:21 pm

Thanks for the advice NM, that is exactly what I needed to do, something to try it next time I find myself stuck like that.

Lovely walk through the reserve with my sister on this beautiful day.
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:58 am

I like the weave pattern also. So Much Fun.

Glad you went for a hike in the preserve.
perennialpam
perennialpam

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:33 am

Not wading through jam, lol.
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by JCat on Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:16 am

I read through your journal. Feeling a bit "stalkerish." Congrats on the wedding and getting your cast off. I broke my hand and wrist about 10 years ago. I was in a cast for four months. I am also a pianist. Mostly I play for myself at the moment. I was wondering what music you're working on, or what you enjoy playing. Sometimes it's hard to perfect a piece when you aren't going to be performing it. I'm always looking for something new to work on.

JCat

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:18 am

JCat, welcome and thanks for de-lurking.  

I don't "perform" piano as such, by I do play keys for my church worship team each Sunday and we practice midweek as well.  When one of my students wants to learn something different, such as "Africa" by Toto, then I will dabble away at it till I have an arrangement that will work for their level.  I actually love doing this. I go through phases where I work on a classical piece, but I seldom perfect it.  I have also been trying to understand some different genres like blues and jazz, which I am not getting very far with, but it's interesting.

In latest news, I am now the proud but baffled owner of a four-shaft table loom!!!!! My DH has pushed two old school desks together and clamped the loom to them and I'll be good to go - once I get myself a warping board and figure out how to thread the thing.  I am both excited and daunted by the prospect.

Meanwhile, I've done one more item on my wee toy:
Simply Primal - Annie Tries Again - Page 11 Img_2029
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by JCat on Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:59 pm

I so get the not "perfecting" thing. I have mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, it would be nice to get a piece to that level; on the other hand, it's nice to just play what I want, when I want. I "working on" at least 6 different pieces at the moment.

The loom is so cool. I would love to have to time, talent, and space for something like that. Maybe someday.

JCat

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:26 pm

Annie congrats on the new loom. Look up Tom Kneisley (May have the i and e backwards). He has some excellent videos for starting off, using the warping board and threading the loom. His was works best for me and I’ve tried several. Some swear by front to back, other back to front. Trust me, he’s awesome. If I remember in the morning, I’ll hop in my computer and find the name of the one I use I’d his. You can get DVD or video download.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:13 am

Well my first attempt at winding a warp has ended in failure ie in 99 or so 5m lengths of yarn and a still empty loom. I suspected I was out of my depth, now I know for sure.

Not content to wait a couple of days till I can get access to the right tool for the job, I rigged up a keyboard stand next to an upturned chair and got to work stringing wool around the legs. An hour or so later, I thought I had accomplished a lovely warp ready for the loom. A few hours after that, I sadly realised this was not the case. I had misunderstood the method for tying the counting threads, even worse I had completely misunderstood the method for tying the cross and so this warp was never going to work.

Some time later again, I reached the unfortunate conclusion this yarn would never make its way back onto the cone or even onto a spare shuttle. So I cut it, finger-combed it all out, and called it quits for the day.

Meanwhile, my Mum has signed me up for some tutorials with the elderly weaving ladies. I expect and sincerely hope this will speed my learning process but our first meeting is a couple of weeks away and I am eager to get started immediately.

Then I came here and found your lovely and timely advice, thanks NM, tomorrow is another day and I will have another attempt though I am wishing I could have started with a simpler loom. My DH is expressing confidence in my ability to suss this out, which I appreciate very much, considering it is based on no knowledge whatsoever.

Good hike today. The weather has changed, we were wet and cold, but still happy.
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:24 am

Your comment about your DF mad me snort. So sweet.

I know you will figure this out and, hopefully, sooner as you are anxious. With your colder weather coming on this will be a nice hobby.

Glad you go out for a hike.
perennialpam
perennialpam

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:44 pm

Annie, I sent you a PM about the weaving video. Let me know if you don’t get it

You are not the first to mess up a warp, nor the last. I’ve had major fails in my day, until this video.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 44 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 27 ... 44  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum