Simply Primal - Annie Tries Again

Page 10 of 22 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 16 ... 22  Next

Go down

Re: Simply Primal - Annie Tries Again

Post by Annieh on Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:56 pm

Feijoas, yes that link of Rig's points to a very delicious looking photo of them.  You certainly can eat them fresh, but you should limit yourself to two or three a day because they are very likely to cause you problems otherwise.   Naturally, this is easier said than done.

You can also make them into chutney, include them in a fruit crumble, add to smoothies, dry into fruit leather, incorporate into muffins and cakes (for non-primal people), and they can even be used as a marinade, or a salsa.

Exercise, the necessary evil.

Injury and healing, and overcoming caution/fears.  Thanks for the encouragement, I definitely don't want this to set me back more than it already has.

perennialpam wrote:You always bring a smile to my face and everyone needs that.  

Did I say something funny, Pam?
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:00 am

Annieh wrote:
Today I wandered round my friend's garden in the sunshine and ate oranges that fell from her tree.  I hauled an old planter box from her  place to mine, and also did a few press ups, but nothing too stupid that I can recall. Perhaps an 8/10 day, no sprints or brainwork.  Primal only has to be 80:20, right?

My kind of activities. :]
Reminds me, I've got to save my oranges from the squirrels. Little boogers take one bite then hurl perfectly good oranges to the ground. Got to when they see me, the frizz tailed rodents fly off the property.
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:01 am

1. Eat lots of lamb and onion meatballs with green beans and shredded cabbage.
2. Avoid poisonous things, except some jam which was doubtless full of something pure white and deadly
3. Moved frequently at a slow pace, as I picked the beans, and trimmed the azalea bush etc
4. Lifted my own body and lowered it again 10x with my arms, and once on each leg.
5. Sprint once in a while, but not today.
6. Get adequate sleep - well I stayed in bed long enough for my darling to bring me a cup of tea.
7. Play. Oh yes, it was like Playcentre again round here as I gathered my soil samples and kneaded them in my fingers with water until there was mud everywhere.
8. Get adequate sunlight. As always.
9. Avoid stupid mistakes. Unless I'm so stupid I've already forgotten about them, like I forgot to attach the cover sheet to my assignment. I don't think that's stupid enough to harm my health though.
10. Use your brain, to finish that soil assignment and put it in the post.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:18 pm

Sounds like an awesome day to me Smile
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:48 pm

Yesterday I went to a very interesting talk by a woman who had been to India for a textiles residency. Some of the participants were literally unable to endure what turned out to be a very challenging cultural experience. Being locked in your windowless room at night or forced to go toilet beside the road was just not OK.

She visited villagers where there was a loom in every house, people spent their days hand tying and weaving and dying cotton or silk fabrics to ancient patterns. All commitment to tradition and craftsmanship, but no regard for health and safety (hands and feet constantly immersed in chemical dyes which afterwards are tipped into the streets) or for consumer interest (people would like contemporary patterns rather than the old designs).

She was very inspired by all the colours, and materials used - jute and bamboo and so on. I was sad that these people earn such a pittance for their impeccable work all they can afford to wear are the cheap polyester clothes from the local market.

I was also inspired, and Mum has lent me her wee loom to have a go on. It's more or less a toy so a bit frustrating but I can get the gist. It is very fiddly so far.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:54 pm

Annieh wrote:My wrist has recovered but I have lost my nerve a little, and need to regain my confidence.  Traipsed around the domain barefoot again, and ran up the hill till I lost my breath, and leapt the gate on the way home.  Ten press ups before bed, and a pistol squat on each leg.

You asked why I smiled. The description above made me smile. Your leaping and scampering!
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:55 pm

Have fun with the loom! Do you have a pattern to try?

Curious here.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:21 pm

Annie working with a weaving loom take practice and patience. I started with a small loom and now have an 8 shaft floor loom sitting unused lately as getting it ready to weave takes a lot of uninterrupted time. You will get it.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:49 pm

NM, I thought it was you.  I am sorry that you do not have the time to get your amazing loom ready to weave.  I am already realising how patient and careful one needs to be if you want a good results.  Pam, I don't have a pattern yet, I just did a sampler with what I had.  I need to decide if I am going to continue and if so, then get a proper loom.

Here is my test piece:

perennialpam wrote:Your leaping and scampering!
Smile away, Pam.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:50 pm

Annie, that weaving looks fantastic. You’ve had a very good first go at it. If the loom you are using will allow a longer warp, why not try making a scarf. The work you do here will teach you much about what you need to know moving forward if you decide to continue. If you have trouble with your sides pulling in, which this one doesn’t appear so, you can use a tool called a temple. It goes across area you’ve already woven and keeps the other warp threads under more tension as it pushes them from the side to help reduce pull in from rows throw a bit tightly. Hope that makes sense. Have fun with it
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:59 pm

I like the colors and pattern of your weave. Keep learning and showing. Please.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:04 pm

Wow, I'm impressed at what you made. I've no patience for that sort of thing, but so admire those who do and who make beautiful crafts.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:10 pm

Thank you for the encouragement, I started something else. I don't really like it but it has taught me some things.

The geese and ducks were making a racket down at the lagoon today. It can't have been my leaping and scampering that set them off, I heard them way before they would have heard me. I was barefoot again and luckily I had my eyes open because there was a massive cow pat on the path! This is somewhat odd and I can only conclude there must have been an escapee from the adjacent field. I couldn't see a broken fence but I didn't search closely.

Dinner and breakfast were chicken with basil and peaches, on a bed of cabbage and green beans. Lunch was banana chocolate pancakes and bacon.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:49 am

[smile]

When I go to Lake Michigan I love lifting up my arms and watching all the sea gulls take to the air. I feel so much like a Queen.

I doubt you'd have that power over ducks....but try it. Smile

Always look down...saves squeeshy toes.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:53 am

Cow patties may not be your worst poop issue going barefoot near the water if you have a ducks & geese. Be careful, they are massive generators of smaller excrement, hard to see in the grass.
They forced the closing of a youth soccer field near a lake in our town because of the accumulation of bird poo all over the field. For some reason, the moms didn't like having their 8 yr old kids come home covered in it.

The weaving looks nice to my eye, and hope you develop skill and enjoyment in using the loom. It looks like it would require more patience and manual skill than I would be willing to invest.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:37 pm

Sounds like a wonderful walk. Good thing you were looking down Smile
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:16 am

Someone online has the same loom as I do:

Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:35 am

Well that looks like fun!
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:08 am

Queen Pamela. That has quite a ring to it.

Rig, perhaps the soccer mothers were not so keen on the extra laundry, kids being easier to wash than clothes.

Today I showed Mum my sampler and she encouraged me to show it to her neighbour, a keen weaver who made his own tartan cloth from pure merino wool, then made a peaked cap from it. He has a room with a four shaft loom which he has made his own modifications to and shelves full of yarn, and colourful scarves all over the place. I was allowed to weave a few rows on his project, I got to use the foot pedals and everything.

NM, I am already picking up some weaving terminology. I know about warp and weft and shuttle and heddle and even dobby. I don't know if I can use them in a sentence yet, but I'm learning.

It was actually pretty fun, Tomi, I better sign off now and go finish sampler number two and find a notebook to record my efforts in.

I just ate the most delicious dinner. I made some meat patties, just with onion, egg, mixed herbs and mince. All I had with it was some beetroot which I pulled from the garden a few hours ago, and a few pickled onions. I don't know why it tasted so good, probably because it is nearly 10 o'clock.

Tap dance class is up and running again. Hooray.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:22 am

Actually, reading your Queen Pamela above just brought back a childhood memory. My best friend's mother called me Lady Pamela. I think I'll stick with Lady. haha

The loom looks like fun. I have stood entranced while watching one in motion at some places like Greenfield Village. The foot pedal, the way they push the yarn together was fun to watch. with your winter coming on it will be a great way to spend time. But do not forget to run, jump, climb.

Hope you slept well; that is late for a meal.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:27 pm

Maybe you were eating for me, I had no appetite yesterday.

I love your barefoot stories. Life around here is distinctly prickly and pokey so barefoot is only an option in "civilization", but I can just imagine how good it feels to play as you do.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:23 pm

Love the sample and reading about your exploration of this craft. Can't wit to see what you produce next.
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:29 pm

Annie you have a beautiful sampler going there. And not sure if the friend showed you, but the best way to used the treadles is with bare feet, quite primal really. You’ll get there, terminology isn’t all that necessary. From your picture it doesn’t appear that you are able to put a longer warp on, or I’m just not seeing it.

I have much respect for your friend doing a tartan plaid, i am in no way at his calibre. My things are quite simple.

Yeah you can tap again.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:54 pm

Actually, NM, you can make it longer.  See that little hole in the top left corner?  There is another one in the lower right, each with a little metal pin.  So you can rotate those bars (must be a name for them) and roll the work forward - actually this girl seems to be working backwards - then insert the pins again.  

I was almost barefoot on the loom, just wearing little shoe liners as I had taken my shoes off at the door. Get what you mean about primal, this craft is almost universal in every culture and dates back millennia. Cool to be a part of.

I have taken your advice and started a scarf, busting Mum's stash of homespun.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:17 am

What fun. A new habit to add to the older habit of tap dancing.

Life is good.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 22 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 16 ... 22  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum