Simply Primal - Annie Tries Again

Page 9 of 42 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 25 ... 42  Next

Go down

Simply Primal - Annie Tries Again - Page 9 Empty Re: Simply Primal - Annie Tries Again

Post by Annieh on Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:29 am

Cooking dinner now: Lamb chops, roast beetroot chunks, green beans and newly dug potatoes. Will probably add some greek yoghurt dip to the chops, and some butter to the spuds. Otherwise, let the natural flavours prevail.
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Simply Primal - Annie Tries Again - Page 9 Empty Re: Simply Primal - Annie Tries Again

Post by Narrowminded on Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:19 pm

Annie, with out kids, they’re are several repeats of the same class during the day, so they don’t end up with clashes like you talk about.

Dinner sounds delish.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:07 am

I'm getting quite good at eating lots of plants and animals.  Today there was onion and silverbeet omelette, assorted fruit and some camembert, and dinner is about to be roast pork, fresh broccoli, and new potatoes roasted in lamb drippings.

I haven't sprinted for a very long while, but today I made a bit of a spurt up the grassy hill, it certainly got my heart rate up so I'll call it a sprint for now.  That was after wandering barefoot around the domain, and leaping over the gate, which was definitely playful.

The sun is shining again, it would be difficult not to get enough of that and rather easy to make a stupid mistake and stay out too long. However, there have been summer snowfalls in the South Island, and it has lowered our temperatures back into a comfortable zone, I don't think anyone came to the supermarket in their togs today.

As for school schedules, you must have much larger schools, NM, which could make the juggling act a bit easier in some ways.
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:47 am

Leaping over the gate ! Wow.

Heck I had trouble trying to jump up a step or two once. Could not seem to get my mind around it.

Sprints? I should start doing that again in the spring/summer/fall months of the US.
perennialpam
perennialpam

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:25 am

Love how you have fun in you outings. I hope to work up to jumping over a gate or even off the curb without wincing. Sprints would be awesome.
Heuristicfireflower
Heuristicfireflower

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:48 pm

Confession: It was quite a low gate.
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:16 pm

Gate jumping, high or low is impressive.

With the schools in High school there are about 1600 or so students. Approx 4-500 per grade and 4 grades there. Most subjects are open to students in at least 2 of the 4 grades if not all 4

I’m longing for summer and sun right now.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:22 pm

Our school roll is under 1000, and there are five year groups. So in year 13 for example there is only one chemistry class, one biology class.  There are two English classes, but one is more academic, the other a bit slower paced.  So for most people who want to take that subject, one class will definitely be more suitable than the other.  Or they can take year 12 English if they didn't pass, but the point is the classes are not interchangeable.
Smaller subjects such as drama are combined, year 12 and 13 taught together.  It's a continual balancing act.
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnTiger on Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:33 am

The schooling approach sounds similar to what I experienced, because I went to what was effectively a private school, which sounds a a lot more posh than it really was. Anyway, there were only 60-70 students per year, i.e. two classes of 30-35. We were given the freedom to choose whatever we wanted from the syllabus and then the teachers spent their summer holidays trying to create a schedule that fit the most people in to their requests.
However, both step-sons went through "regular" school and the approach is that they are given a list of choices presented in groups and they can't choose more than one subject in a group.
Priority is given to maths, English and sciences, so these might be the only subject in the group, but subjects like the humanities e.g. history and geography might be in the same group. (I seem to remember this one and thought it was crazy!).
Very occasionally there will still be a student whose options don't work despite these "precautions" but generally it puts the load upfront by preventing clashes.
I remain incredibly grateful for my experience at school, although in the end I did not stay on for sixth form (age 16-18).

Loving living you good weather vicariously, and looking forward to my own bare-foot meanders in to the garden!
AutumnTiger
AutumnTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:38 am

It is fascinating comparing different school systems. We have a student exchange program with a nursing school in Scotland. While we educate generalist nurses who specialize when they graduate and pass the national exam, in Scotland they have to pick either adult, pediatric, or psych (if I recall correctly) and all of their edcuation is in that population. Pros and cons to each way, but it is interesting.
Pedidoc
Pedidoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:25 am

Pedi, those systems are almost complete opposite.

AT, I guess our system evolved from the British one, so there would be similarities that remain. I get that you would remember a history-geography clash. Ours was music/drama. Go figure why they would put those on the same time.

Today I wandered round my friend's garden in the sunshine and ate oranges that fell from her tree.  I hauled an old planter box from her  place to mine, and also did a few press ups, but nothing too stupid that I can recall. Perhaps an 8/10 day, no sprints or brainwork.  Primal only has to be 80:20, right?
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:39 am

Hey Annie. I did not remember the 80:20 deal until you just wrote it. Guess it is time for me to pull out Mark's book and re-read.

Fresh oranges.. would have no idea what they taste like but they wound marvelous and reusing a planter box that was free makes life grand.
perennialpam
perennialpam

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:22 am

Just be careful with the 80/20 rule. Remember that in your normal program, you'll have some deviations from plan that will be part of your 20. Don't go establishing a formal program of going off-plan for your 20, you'll have a high propensity to ending up maybe 60/40.

The occasional day like you had with the oranges are great for a break, just don't formalize that.
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:07 am

Little know Pedi fact: I started school in the British system. I remember starting what would be kinder and there were too many kids, so they gave us some sort of test and the next thing I knew I moved up a grade.
Pedidoc
Pedidoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Pebbles67 on Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:11 am

Annie, love the orange story.

I am very interested in how education works in other places. It certainly has some major flaws here in the US
Pebbles67
Pebbles67

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:32 am

Pebbles67 wrote:Annie, love the orange story.

I am very interested in how education works in other places. It certainly has some major flaws here in the US

After England, we moved to Italy. I spent 2 years in school in their system. The first in the village school (2 rooms over a cheese factory). My parents put me back a grade figuring the language difference would make it hard for me, but I was fairly fluent in about a month and not really challenged. Second year in a private Catholic school run by nuns, which was a bit harder. When we got back to the States, I was really bored for the next 2-3 grades, as I had pretty much had the information. I still remember being told I had to print and not use my very precise Italian Copperplate script, because "we do not teach cursive until 3rd grade." I had to teach myself to print and then rebelled against cursive - I have horrible handwriting as a consequence.
Pedidoc
Pedidoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:29 pm

Pedidoc wrote: being told I had to print and not use my very precise Italian Copperplate script, because "we do not teach cursive until 3rd grade."
See, this is just dumb.  Those Italian nuns had done them a favour and already taught you cursive.  But no, sticking with the programme was more important than you actually learning the skill.  Irritating to say the least.  

I hope you can relearn writing or even calligraphy should you feel you want it.  I retaught myself when my children started school, firstly because I didn't want to confuse them, and then I ended up liking their style better.
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:18 pm

Annie sounds like a nice day, esp when we are still cold and snowy here.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:16 pm

It was a nice day, NM.  There is nothing like just finding your food lying on the ground for the taking.  

Today I noticed my little feijoa tree has some tiny fruit on it, so I weeded everything around it, watered, mulched and now just need to wait a couple of months.  This is my second tree, the other is productive but with a very short season, so I chose this one hoping to extend the harvest.  It will be annoying if they all come at once, but I guess I'll cope.
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:04 am

Food is averaging only fair to middling, but the organic homegrown veges are good - beetroot, beans and potatoes again today.  I must keep up the watering, we had the best weather in the country today, although rain is forecast from tomorrow onwards.

My wrist has recovered but I have lost my nerve a little, and need to regain my confidence. Traipsed around the domain barefoot again, and ran up the hill till I lost my breath, and leapt the gate on the way home.  Ten press ups before bed, and a pistol squat on each leg.

I am missing the strong feeling I used to have when I was exercising hard out, but I don't miss the actual exercise, haha.  

Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:27 am

You always bring a smile to my face and everyone needs that.

I hear you on the loss of nerve. Press forward once you feel you are healed enough.

Exercise: yea that is why I only do things that I enjoy.
perennialpam
perennialpam

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:48 am

I had never heard of a feijoa tree, but I looked it up at https://www.daleysfruit.com.au/fruit%20pages/feijoa.htm
 It sounds like an intriguing, attractive plant. Hope it bears good fruit for you.
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:55 am

Annieh wrote: I am missing the strong feeling I used to have when I was exercising hard out, but I don't miss the actual exercise, haha.  

This sums up my feelings about exercise precisely! Laughing
Pedidoc
Pedidoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:50 pm

Just don't think of it as exercise, make it PLAY TIME!

It can be hard to overcome that feeling of wariness after injury. I know it well... but press on and get back out there as soon as you can.
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:57 pm

Annie I hear you on not missing the exercise. I loved when I could get to tennis, that was fun and I was playing. The routine stuff is rather blah, but I too like the results

Rig, thanks for that link. I was going to ask Annie about it as well.

Ok, now that we know it’s a fruit, do you eat it Raw or cooked or what?

And what you did today, sounded like fun
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 42 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 25 ... 42  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum