Perennially Yours

Page 36 of 40 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

Re: Perennially Yours

Post by perennialpam on Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:46 am

Well, got the lawn mowed yesterday and have the gasoline in the mower down.  Am wondering if I can mow again after the surgery.  No leaf pickup just mow.  

While mowing I realized I need to clean out the gutters before the surgery.  There are added items I would like to take care of if possible.  For instance, cutting back the 10-12 peonies (I have lost count) and picking up the debris and, yes, burning it.  hehe

I made my grocery purchases yesterday and will be making bone broth (which I should have made immediately upon arriving back home).  That will begin soon in my IP.  I told the friends I went north with about IP...they had never heard of it.  

Mom never asked one thing about the surgery which surprised me.  No bills to pay and will not be able to drive over there for at least 2 weeks post surgery.  I doubt that the bills will become due prior to that visit although the home rent will be calling it close.  I am going into town tomorrow and may stop off at her place and write a check for that right now.  Just in case the 2 week period does not pan out.  

In the meantime....just thinking about things I can accomplish prior.  The boat is coming out tomorrow which means some follow-up here.  Thankfully my son is captaining the boat over here and has scheduled the pick-up.  I still have the large tent to fold up which will happen today.  It never did dry out prior to my departure.  

I sure hope I can winter camp come Jan/Feb.  Something to look forward to.  

I yearn to go back to Manistee....perhaps camping isn't the answer the next visit.  

And, of course, a day time visit to the Warren Dunes area some time in those months too.  Always good to have something to look forward to.  

Cheers.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:43 am

Pam - depending on how they do your surgery, it’s doubtful you’ll be pushing a mower before 6 weeks. You want to let those internals heal well.

Sounds like you’ve got a decent to-do list going.

Please, I forget, what is the date of your surgery again? Thanks
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:34 pm

NM -- Wed. is the surgery.  I own 1.5 acres so I use a riding lawn mower.  And, the leaves have only just begun.  In looking up at the huge trees on my property...I feel faint.  

I told my BFF from AZ that I would be cutting down the Bradford Pear tree she gifted me without asking if I had room for it back when my sister passed....a year later and very unexpected.  This tree is already a monster and it replaces (the leaves) the trees I cut down for that very reason.  

Still have not gotten outside today.  Need to as I've just thought of another item to be taken care of....take out the kitchen window screen and clean that window....  Never did get to the windows upstairs last summer when I went through the house.  No....I have better things to take care of.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:49 pm

Bradford Pear tree - this article makes 'em sound like the curse of the late 20th century.
Curse of the Bradford Pear.

Leaf clean-up - I'd suggest you use that riding mower and mulch it all back down into your yard. Over the years, I've had good luck with that approach, sans riding mower, a big pile of leaves just disappears into the grass.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:16 pm

Thanks Rig.  I'll read the attachment later.  Believe me I would mulch them if there were not so many of them.  Just too tall trees with thousands of leaves.  Everywhere!

The gutters are done but I fully know that there will need to be someone hired to take care of them once again.  Leaves are no where near done.  

Time to cut back some perennials starting with the peonies.  Then I should weed whip the lake lot one more time because I'll feel better about it.  

I will also mow the remaining yard once other misc. items are taken care of.  

The white pine needles have now fallen.  The 3 year old growth.  I love their carpet.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:20 pm

Rig D wrote:Bradford Pear tree - this article makes 'em sound like the curse of the late 20th century.
Curse of the Bradford Pear.

Leaf clean-up - I'd suggest you use that riding mower and mulch it all back down into your yard. Over the years, I've had good luck with that approach, sans riding mower, a big pile of leaves just disappears into the grass.

Wow, I read it and won't feel so bad about taking it down.  Told my gifter when she was here and she is okay with it.  Of course, she should be.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:52 am

The 12 peonies have been trimmed back but I need to pick up their stems/leaves today or it will drive me nuts.  I actually have one more peony I remembered last night to cut back.  I also trimmed misc other perennials and will have myself a little bonfire this evening if this wind dies down a tad.  

Got a call and my surgery is scheduled for 1 p.m. Wed.  All the last minute directions were included.  I got out my Power of Attorney for medical directives and will be taking that with.  

Having my hair cut this afternoon and beforehand stopping at moms to write out the residence check as I will not be in town again prior to the first of Nov.  I will also change the ends of her aids which I totally did not think about Saturday.  

Will put my lawnmower away today.  Have decided again mowing while recuperating although all those leaves will drive me nuts.  It will be interesting to see what spring looks like since I may, as I age, not rake.  I feel like it does keep me in shape so I will always do what I can.  

Was going to walk the DGD but will probably run out of time.  I do need to do a load of laundry and will do so on my way home.  

I have to gift wrap the 12 days of Christmas gifts since the date for drop off has changed to right after Thanksgiving....I think.  Hope I am able to carry them over to the drop off place.  Still need to purchase #12 gift but that won't be due until 12-11.  That relieves some stress in that regard.  

Vacuumed the livingroom where I'll be spending a good amount of time post-op.  I also knabbed a leather chair and foot stool yesterday from Craig's list.  Helps to be retired and able to take advantage of great free offers.  

Will be leaving soon.  All prepped for life.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:24 pm

Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:52 pm

Hope all goes well and you have a smooth and easy recovery!
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:00 pm

Thank you LB and Tomi:  I intend to have a speedy recovery and will be gentle with myself.  

I managed to get everything done I had planned.  The trimmed perennials are on the burn pile and whoa is it big.  A fire will occur within the next few weeks as a "treat".  

I stopped by moms and wrote out her residence check for November and replaced the wax collectors on the back of her aids.  Got a hair cut and simply walked out since I have to take 2 showers and not use any stuff on the hair but shampoo.  One tonight and one I the morning.  No deodorant or cream rinse on the hair.  I ought to look terrific.  Who cares?  Other than my sons, I won't know anyone anyway.  

Got the title for my new vehicle today.  That was fast.  

Prepared all documents I am to take tomorrow.  

Discovered I did have left over Christmas wrap I can use for the 12 Days of Christmas.  tomorrow morning I will get the presents I have purchased downstairs and ready for wrapping when the time is right.  

Bone broth made and used.  

All is well.  I am at peace with this surgery and look forward to being able to go to the bathroom when "I" want to.  haha
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vh67 on Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:17 pm

Pam, you will be in my thoughts tomorrow, no one will notice your hair once they put one of those pretty surgical bonnets on you! I am glad you are ready and ar peace. It will go well and you will be up and around in no time.
Vh67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:18 am

May your surgery go well Pam.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:48 am

Thinking of you.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:21 am

Hope all goes smoothly with surgery, in and out of the hospital in a short time.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:22 pm

Praying for you Pam. Sorry I didn’t get this to you earlier. You’re in my thoughts all day today.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:39 pm

Really hope all is well and you feel more like you soon!
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:38 pm

The surgery is over and I am feeling just fine.  Keeping with my own med schedule and NOT using the oxycodone they prescribed; did not pick it up.  

I did get sick at the hospital because they were pushing the meds and I was afraid of the pain they kept speaking of.  Then I got dehydrated and could not urinate.  Really felt awful.  Things turned around after an additional evening and I got home yesterday.  

The nurse told me they use De Vinci robotics for the surgery.  I suppose the surgeon told me this almost 3 years back but I certainly had forgotten.  The nurse felt that people did much better with the robotic version.  

The nurses were great. I had no food for a good long time and that did not help either with the med problem.  

No pain.  Really surprised about that.  Taking one ibuprofen 600 for 6 hrs and then one Extra Strength Tylenol for the next 6.  Seems to be working fine other than needing to take one at 1 a.m.  Worked out though.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:43 pm

Take it easy.  Stay on top of the pain.  Usually, they flush the surgical wound with a numbing/pain relieving solution.  Do not be surprised if the pain increases.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:05 am

Great report on your surgery, very happy it went smoothly. +1 on staying ahead of the pain. I hope you are blessed with continuing low levels and will not need heavier pain meds.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:15 am

Pedidoc wrote:Take it easy.  Stay on top of the pain.  Usually, they flush the surgical wound with a numbing/pain relieving solution.  Do not be surprised if the pain increases.
Of course I did not know this.  

This is 4 days later.  hmm.  I only took one E.S. Tylenol yesterday followed by the Ibuprofen.  

I am having trouble with the stool softener they gave me and have stopped using it once home.  I am eating some vege and fruit each day but not that much food.  No hungry.  Stool seemed more appropriate this morning.  

Sorry to discuss stool.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vh67 on Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:33 am

I am really glad to hear you are home and the pain is manageable!

Stool softerners have never really worked well for me. I am a huge fan of hot prune juice as everyone who has surgery can tell you. It is tasty with none of the unpleasant side effects.

Get lots of rest and take care of yourself!
Vh67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:04 am

Happy to hear everything went well with the surgery and you seem to be progressing nicely.

Don’t worry about discussing the stool. Major topic on the ALS boards Smile

Take it slow and let yourself heal, even if you feel like you can do more. Get some protein too.

Hugs
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:22 pm

Sounds like you're doing wonderful! Smile Thats awesome!

Well - we all have stools - and its a very common topic in my journal so I'm not at all squeamish about it. Wink When its abnormal it can certainly mess up your life!
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:29 pm

To tell the truth I am glad my good friend warned me about trying to do too much.  If I had not been told I would be doing things right now I am supposed to sustain from because, well, you know, I'm superwoman.  haha

Thanks for all the kind thoughts and wishes.  I am truly blessed.  

My son stopped by with grapes and English Muffins....yea, I know.  The grapes are delicious.  

My friend stopped over for a visit (the one who told me to take it easy).  And another friend has called.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:58 pm

Pam it sounds like you have a wonderful support network. And DS did try, he needs to be commended for that.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 36 of 40 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum