Perennially Yours

Page 4 of 41 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 41  Next

Go down

Re: Perennially Yours

Post by Pedidoc on Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:09 am

I remembered Fanny from Bob Badger.....his legend continues.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ekba on Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:23 pm

Lovebird wrote:https://blog.shermanstravel.com/2014/14-american-words-with-completely-different-meanings-overseas/

Peoples separated by a common language.
ekba

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:14 am

Oh where is BG? Will she come over?

Yesterday was a bad day. I went to my oil change and was told that my tires were threadworn. I then recalled my last visit to the Discount Tire place said I would need new tires soon.

So, instead of going to the Social Security Office, I took care of a more important issue and headed to D.T. The parking lot was loaded with vehicles, more than I had ever encountered there before. I was told I'd be lucky if my vehicle was done by 8 p.m. I was there by 11 a.m. In fact, my vehicle was not ready until 9:15. I spent over 10 hours waiting as I had no one to call for a ride much less a ride back into town which is 22 miles from home. Sad

The road next to D.T. is a busy one and I only went across the street to a 2nd hand shop and purchased a blanket (the show room was freezing and an overhead fan was running) and some reading material. The book I had loaded for the S.S.O. just wasn't good enough. Bought 4 books and started 3 of them.

I am not feeling well today. Headachey and just not right with the world. I wasted an entire day that was supposed to be filled with running various errands.

Will try to take care of some items today when I go into town for mom day. She will be demanding as she had called earlier in the week about purchasing a spiral ham that was on sale for when her favorite family comes to town. My freezer/refrigerator isn't big enough for both a turkey and ham so perhaps she can put the ham into her freezer.

Was going to check on some type of foot covering for mom. That would mean shopping around, which I am not a fan of. But mom really needs something that she can put on. We'll see.

perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:54 am

Pam so sorry about the lost day. Those can be the worst.

For mom, take a gander online with “adaptive clothing” as your search words. There is lots of stuff available. Also they sell gadgets that can help you out on socks and shoes and the like.

Hope you start feeling better
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:12 pm

I've had days like this having to wait at repair shops. It's frustrating to lose time when things are pending. Hope you feel better soon.
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:51 am

NM I had high hopes of finding something on that website.  And I did find a pair of shoes but mom is insistent on nothing.  She keeps saying that they drop me off at the door and it is shoveled.  Not always...

I was grouchy with mom yesterday and she noted it.  I feel bad about that.  

She is very confused about her finances now.  A woman who, like Scrooge, knew where every bit of her money was.  She kept getting out the check register for her local bank vs. the one for her stock market accounts.  

I had been at her about writing out the checks as she'll choose for me to do that just when I have no time to do it.  First we need to write a list of family members she intends to provide money.  Then she needs to decide how much she will give each family member.  I write the checks as her hands cannot handle much more than one check, if even that these days.  She signs.

At least we got that settled yesterday.  Off my list of things.  

I sewed up the coat lining that ripped the on my birthday night.  She had me "scotchtape" it last week.  I had forgotten the need to sew it that day.  

I need to reconnect with the independent living place as mom insists that we will not be getting the room on the 31st and she may be correct.  They messed it up already a couple of times as I've gotten calls about it.  They have lost 2 of their most on the mark employees this year.  One to leukemia fighting and the other to care for her elderly husband.  He passed just last week.  I wonder how quickly she will come back or if she will.  

Got more duties taken care of yesterday as far as items I need to do for mom and a purchase of some presents.  Bought bath bombs from Lush.  My DGD had led me there last summer telling me about them.  I bought 4.  So 4 gifts are taken care of.  

I better make my own list as it is times like these I begin buying items without a clear determination of who will receive only that they are cool and would be unexpected by the recipient.  

Have a great Sunday.  

Did I mention I have captured my entire MDA journal?  The suggestion about elongating the number of entries per page really helped.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jeangenie on Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:50 am

You did well with your journal - well done for sticking with it.
It's so hard helping your mum when she isn't open to suggestions! We have a friend who had early dementia and wears such flimsy clothes in winter. Any attempt to persuade her into a cot (or evben hide the thin jackets) ends in failure as she clings to the familiar!
jeangenie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:13 pm

Pam it sounds like you got a good bit done for your DM yesterday. I'm sorry the site wasn't a help with footwear. Our parents can be tough ones.

Great job on the journal capture too. I didn't have enough patience to do the entirity of mine.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:08 am

Managed to capture mine as well. It's good to get errands done and out of the way, even if they come back the next month.
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:37 pm

Took the DGDog for a longer hike today totally around the State Campground. No one around although there was evidence of a cc skier. Made me sad that I did not get my butt out to cc ski!

The ice dams in my gutters are now melted thanks to the warmer weather and the sodium chloride I put in the valley ones. Unfortunately the valleys are on the west side of the house and under a tree canopy so that may start melting but not usually all the way. However, with this weather, they are now melted. My friend keeps telling me to get the roof melting things but I do not have an outdoor plug near the areas I would need to hook onto.

Have started using my CPap again. I have been off of it for a good long time. It started when I go camping and cannot use it and I just kept not using it.

Mom called while I was out on the walk complaining about the "free" art easel I purchased with her bank credit card points. I told her ahead of time that is what I would do. Now it is SOOO big. And why did I have it sent to her? Well, it was to be her gift to her great grandson.

I can never win with her. And she tries to talk on the phone when she cannot hear or understand compound sentences.

My DGDaughter is here this weekend! Her dad will once again host our Christmas meal and has been in contact with me about this and that. I like that he is thinking ahead too.

Going to The Moth tonight as a guest. Theme "Rules". I could not obtain tickets once I found out she did not need me. Then she offered a free ticket. Way nice.

Must work on my dremel and see if I can fix it. Procrastination is a terrible habit.

perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:30 pm

enjoy the moth, pam. and your granddaughter - how nice.

is the cpap helping your sleep?
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:37 pm

Hope you had a wonderful evening out

How’d it go with getting the dremmel fixed?
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:40 am

Annie - The Moth was disappointing last night considering who I said next to and across the aisle from.  The CPap does not help me sleep, it helps me stay awake later in the day and, I suppose, stay alive.  

NM - Have not put my head to the dremmel yet.  Time is running out and today would be a good day to actually sit down and try.  Smile

~~I was let into The Moth as a guest last night.  I sat in an aisle seat as I always try to do. The seating is pretty tight.  At first I was happy where I was seated.  Next to two women ministers.  After the first set of storytellers, one of them went on and on about how she is a English teacher and she did not hear one properly put together story.  Then when one of the regulars was called up I heard the youngster across the aisle from me call him the "N" word.  I was disgusted and gave him a hard look as his g/friend saw me do.  She was aghast herself.  

Put a damper on the show and I'm still shaking my head about it.  

Some of the regulars, the ones I have heard their stories too often, changed their scripts and told completely different stories that were great this time.  I was happy about that as I had given up on the one woman.  I am simply over her divorce.  haha

Today will be another walk with DGDog and some errands.  Will do what I had thought about last week and drop off some items to The Goodwill.  

It was 40F all day and this morning it is back to winter type temps -- 25F.  

Time to gather the presents and start wrapping.  Not like it used to be as far as so many.  I have to admit I am glad for the bags that have made wrapping so much easier.  I never did master a beautiful wrapping paper present.  I tried though.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:10 pm

gift bags for the win! i was going to wrap yesterday but procrastinated, so that will be today's less than perfect task.

as for kon mari folding, that is not a thing for me at the moment.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:36 pm

NM -- Researched the dremel and thought I had it figured out.  Went to the store to purchase a torque screw driver that would fit it.  Almost bought the more expensive one that had numerous sizes but the guy talked me into one that fit the obvious screws.  

You guessed it, there were 2 other screws needing removal but they are different size!  If only I lived closer to that hardware store.  I'm considering a drive into my small town hardware.  I am anxious to figure out if my You Tube directions were correct.  I will need to order a part as the stores do not keep parts in stock.  

My idea of beach glass ornaments is now on the back burner.  I'll decorate the little tree I purchased at an estate sale with small ornaments I have on hand.  It will be cute and hopefully loved just as much by the recipient; my kinda DIL.  

She has a small home and always comments on my small tree.  I have been looking for a smaller tree for her for years and this year I found one.

I was able to drop off a Secret Friend gift to my friend who's SO is the Vet with the bleeding lungs, etc. He has opened up his Lake Huron house to us women for the last 10-12 years in the fall. We love going there.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:25 pm

At least you have presents to wrap (bag). Denial means I've bought 4 items and this morning almost decided against 2 of them as reasonable gifts... clearly no one in my family will be getting anything before Christmas, not even a card. Sheesh.

Your day at Discount tire sounds nasty and so frustrating. A day spent reading would be a rare pleasure, but not when one had a list of things to be done.

I'm sure that tree will be lovely - such a thoughtful gift.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:54 pm

Pam so sorry the dremmel is still needing further repair with a screw size different than the first. Wishing you luck as you continue to work on it

So sweet to get that tree for a gift. I’m sure she will love it.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:25 am

Helped my mom with paper wrapping as a youngster. I remember my mom teaching me how to pull those Shirley Temple ringlets with a scissors. Have nice memories of my family from those days long ago.

What's up with that little fool and his slur. I hope he felt your burning look on his conscience.
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:28 am

I found a video of how to fix the dremel. Of course, you need to take it apart first. The first tool I purchased took out 4 of the 6 screws but the next 2 were different sizes. The tutorial did not mention that. Oh well.

Got a bee in my bonnet and decided to drive into my local town for the smaller screw torque and ended up discovering someone I know---who gave me his employee discount! He is the b/friend to my DS's g/friend's daughter. Got that? haha

The tree got decorated and it is 5:17 in the morning....I'm thinking of driving over and putting it someplace where she'll see it this morning. If I do that, I need to do it pretty soon....while still dark. On the other hand, I can wait until everyone is gone to work because I know her DDs are in Florida and will not cat me out.

With 2 days of rain and the warmer weather, the heavy snow we got now has a crispy top. Hard for DGDog to swivel around in like she likes to do. That does not stop her though. She really likes rolling in snow. The walk was difficult so that made for more exercise.

She is a good companion for the errands on normally run on Wednesdays. Made numerous stops and let her run around when we got back home. The ice looks fairly good in my DS's bay. It appears someone has been out ice fishing or at least making the holes in the ice to check out depth of ice. Not a good time for dogs as they try to walk on water and do not realize they could sink in. My neighbor's dog was lost last year when he went for a long walk and never returned. Sad

Dropped off some donations. Went to the grocery store and headed for the reduced area of the meat counter. I should have purchased all the steaks but my freezer happens to be full what with the turkey. Did get 4 t-bones; half price. Yum.

I should add that the tree will be a secret drop off.....She'll figure it out once she sees the one and only sea glass ornament if she looks closely. So fun to do secret things.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:44 pm

My friend and I talked the entire time she was being infused....is that the term?  Then we went out for lunch and we still did not run out of things to talk about.  haha

Tried to hit Trader Joes for a bulb plant I have seen at my hair stylist the last 2 years.  Managed to find a parking spot....that was a big deal.  However, no bulbs.  Too late I am once again.  Sad

Then decided to take care of some grocery shopping I could today.  Forgot the darn birthday card for my friend who just had one-half of her thyroid removed and is waiting for the next steps.  Her birthday is 12-23.  I forgot the card there but managed to stop at another grocery store and mailed it from the post office.  

Happy Solstice everyone.  The days will now get longer once again.  And, if you have clear skies, look for the Ursid Meteors Friday morning in the north near the Little Dipper.  It is cloudy here.  Sad
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:38 pm

Pam you’ve had quitel the day. I sure hope you got that tree secretly dropped off.

Intersting that your friend who had 1/2 of her thyroid removed has her BD 12/23. My Dad just had his entire thyroid removed this summer and his BD is also 12/23

Good luck with the dremmel
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:12 am

Love spending time with friends. Nice to just sit, catch up and enjoy each other's company.
Aww, feel bad for the dog if he fell through. Quite dangerous.

What kind of bulb? T Joes has some great ornamental plants and a good variety.
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:16 am

NM - how has the operation affected your dad? What was the reason for the removal? My friend had a biopsy done prior but is now waiting for some other answers I am unsure of.

HFF - The reason I did not state the name of the bulb is that I'm unsure. I think it may be Amaryllis. I have Paperwhites starting right now. Haven't seen any flower buds yet though.

And, my granddog did not go onto the ice but I could tell she would. It probably didn't help that I walked out there to check it out in the first place.

~~~
I had an awful time getting to sleep last night so I got up and did not get back in bed until 5 this morning. I hope to get a nap today.

I had to make a spreadsheet of what I need to do and when for the Christmas Eve and Day gatherings...I'll do the same for New Years Eve too. It helps assure me that I have all bases covered. Each of those gatherings involves me doing the majority of the work and carting food over with the exception of C.Eve. I only take over shrimp and cocktail sauce and what ever I am drinking.

I look forward to Christmas Eve the most as it is with my BFF from high school and her family. This is a long running gathering that started well before my divorce.

We are supposed to get sleet this morning. I saw the alert when I was up at 3:30 a.m. so I put away the ladder I had been too lazy to prior. The sleet is to begin soon although earlier it was to begin at 4a.m. Glad I got that duty done. I should have done right away...but hey.

It is colder in Tucson where my other BFF lives than here this morning anyway. I like to compare temps.

perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jeangenie on Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:27 pm

I think it will be amaryllis. In our house they are called 'ryllis'. When our daughter was learnng to read she saw '1 amaryllis' on the side of the box and carefully sounded out 'I am a ryllis'!
jeangenie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:26 pm

I feel your pain in the mom department. Mine is 92 - still living on her own but with poor eyesight needs me to do her shopping, bill paying, laundry and various other things. It is very hard shopping for mom who have very particular tastes in what they will wear. My mother has worn those elastic waist polyester pants with the seam sewn in the front for as long as I can remember - and she just about refuses to wear anything else. I finally found them on Blair.com so I ordered her 4 new pair, at her request. When the second 2 pairs arrived she had forgotten that she told me to order them and was less than pleased because she now had more than she thought she needed. And don't get me started on her pickiness when it comes to food! If I pick up the wrong brand of ice cream or canned chicken I will certainly hear about it. She isn't grouchy about it - but she always asks why I got a different brand. With her very limited income you'd think the cheaper brands would be okay - but no.... she wants Umpqua ice cream! Its nearly $5 a tub. I think she's a little OCD.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 41 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 41  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum