Perennially Yours

Page 23 of 41 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 32 ... 41  Next

Go down

Perennially Yours - Page 23 Empty Re: Perennially Yours

Post by tomi1000 on Fri May 18, 2018 6:19 pm

Oh 10 days! I sure hope it happens for you!
tomi1000
tomi1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Fri May 18, 2018 10:51 pm

Pam I hope you can get the 10
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Sun May 20, 2018 6:12 am

Have fun! sunny
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by katierose on Sun May 20, 2018 9:13 pm

Fingers crossed for a nice long 10 days. You certainly deserve it!

Sent from Topic'it App

katierose

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Fri May 25, 2018 10:27 am

Katie-Rose - I did manage to get relief from my Wednesday volunteering position.

Have enjoyed myself quite a bit. The lake is giving me loads of beach glass and I am getting loads of exercise due to that. Walking, bending -- over and over again.

On Tuesday I bit the bullet and started primal once again. It is easy up here where I can find a great salad at one restaurant and broasted chicken at another. The Painted Lady Saloon for the chicken. It was built in the 1880s. Cheap meal too.

Breakfast at the Pier 31 Restaurant only because it opens at 7 a.m. and my favorite local, Tom, is always there along with his other buddies -- Jerry and others whose names I forget as they do not come in daily like Tom and Jerry.

The mosquitos have been atrocious and am thankful I have this folding picnic table that fits inside my tent. When I arrived the weather was just perfect. Then it rained and was a tad colder than the predicted forecast. Up until today I have had plenty of the proper clothing but it looks like I may need to go to the laundromat and Goodwill as it is going to be in the 80s for the next few days. The forecast's highest temps were Sunny and 60s.

Believe me I am not complaining. I have gotten bored and that is the way I like it. It causes me to make plans which I have done in this town often.

Happy Memorial Day Weekend and thanks for your service to those who have served and their families.

perennialpam
perennialpam

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Fri May 25, 2018 4:34 pm

Pam I am thrilled you are having a good time and relaxing a bit. Continue to enjoy every minute you have.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Fri May 25, 2018 4:49 pm

So happy to hear you were blessed with the entire 10 days!!! Enjoy it!
tomi1000
tomi1000

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Tue May 29, 2018 7:29 am

Thanks everyone.

~~The last 3 nights were torture....90s and extremely humid....no wind. In a tent. I had taken along plenty of "alternative" clothing for both cold and higher temps. Who would have thought that summer would arrive while there? Apparently not me.

~~I had such serenity until the 25th. I honestly did appreciate it but more so once the neighborhood received new people. Only one additional camp group but they were obnoxious and loud. I know better than to camp during a holiday weekend if I want quiet.

The nice thing is that they were more considerate the following days and were gone by the time I got back to camp yesterday. This allowed me to once again enjoy the serenity of nature---the sounds of the birds and the quiet of the woods.

~~I have to admit I would have stayed longer and could have but came home. Uh oh about the grass. I had mowed just before leaving. It looks awful. Besides laundry -- oh do I need some drawers -- it appears mowing has to be on the docket today. Hope I can get out there before the sun shines hard. Don't know if the grass is wet with dew.

~~One whole week primal. Can you believe it? I cannot. A trip to the grocery store needs to occur too.

~~And my poor DGDog....she needs to see her grandma and have a walk I'm sure.

Happy Summer - I guess.

Turns out Manistee was as Hot as Home.
perennialpam
perennialpam

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Tue May 29, 2018 9:57 am

Walked the beaches twice a day.  Found lots of beach glass and met 3 nice folks.  The first one named Cathy gave me a Petoskey stone and a piece of glass.  We walked along together so long that I missed my way out.  We laughed and I trekked back.  Was tired and very hungry.  

The other 2 nice ladies walked with me too along the same beach.  We shared glassing stories; one was visiting her sister and the other a temporary local.  I did not quite get why but she was working at a local hospital.  Have a feeling she was a nursing student?  

~~I found an exorbitant amount of glass.  Had fun sorting which is a thing us glassers do.  I sorted by uniqueness and color.  I hope some day I will begin doing something with this stuff. I did find a rare piece of glass (yellow) and it lighted up using my black light. That means uranium was used to make it. The only craft I made was last year -- a saying on a piece of driftwood with various beach-type decorations (not plastic junk); sand, stones, dried weeds.  

It was for outside on the deck/porch area but ended up being installed inside.  

One load of laundry complete and another in the dryer.  

~~Got a phone call from mom.  Only asked when I was coming to town other than the normal "Pam?" when I answer my phone.  who else would it be?  Who else has it ever been?
perennialpam
perennialpam

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Tue May 29, 2018 1:44 pm

Good work on the diet. Keep it moving forward.
Yeah, hot n humid in the upper midwest for sure.
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Tue May 29, 2018 3:00 pm

Where are you camping? I only ask because we are pretty serious campers and this weekend was our first of the year. We were in Ontario. And, I hear you on the bugs. They are TERRIBLE this year! We also have the heat and humidity that you are experiencing. It is highly unusual for us to have 30-plus degree (100 F) days in May.

I also agree about the loud, obnoxious campers. They really ruin it for everyone. We also don't camp holiday weekends anymore because of the non-serious campers. I often wonder why they even bother to leave the confines of the city if they're just going to come to the campground and make as much noise as they would have experienced at home. But my biggest beef is the parents who allow their kids to scream bloody murder all day long. It curdles my blood.

ONTARIO

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue May 29, 2018 3:21 pm

Pam sounds like a wonderful camping trip. So nice you could get away and just relax. Being about the complete a full week, of full on primal is awesome too.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Tue May 29, 2018 4:07 pm

Your time camping sounds wonderful - aside from the idiots who have no consideration for others. We live next to a park (but we were here before the park was) -- we totally get it. Yesterday we were trying to enjoy a nice relaxing afternoon on our patio and some a guy with small boys decided it was a good soccer practice time - with very loud music and screaming the F bomb to his small boys. We turned up our music very loud to try to drown it out. They stayed about an hour or so and then we had our peace and quiet back. Some people are just self-centered jerks.

I've always been interested in beach glass....... but Oregon beaches don't get to much. It's kinda rare to find. Maybe one day, when we visit the east coast we will spend some time looking.
tomi1000
tomi1000

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Tue May 29, 2018 7:42 pm

Ontario - Manistee, MI. It was in the 90s for only 3 days but I came home to the same. I know to expect the noise but these folks were way over normal. Oh well. It worked out.

~~yes, all it was nice to get away. As I look around me, my friends cannot do this even though they are retired. They have this illness or someone they care for does. I have begun to feel awkward being so happy that I had this luxury and, more, because they do not. I treasure this time as I won't be able to pack up all the heavy items for camping forever and knowing this...I sigh. Same with walking the beach. Actually it is more walking in the dune down to the shoreline. That ain't easy but I think because I always have I have kept the ability to continue for who knows how long? P.S. I'll let you know.

~~Mowed the jungle. 90s in May for lower MI is odd too. Wish I had air conditioning. I usually bear it out as it may end up being 2 weeks. Now? I'm not so sure. If this is it (summer already) I am worried and will begin my air conditioning investigation. I should have a long time ago.

perennialpam
perennialpam

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue May 29, 2018 10:44 pm

Pam I agree with you, enjoy every moment of your health and freedom to do so. I don’t begrudge you one bit and I’m one of those who is tied to another as caregiver.

Yes, I’d investigate air conditioning, even if you only use it here and there to get the humidity out, it’s worth it.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Thu May 31, 2018 6:26 am

Ended up calling mom and asking if she would like to go shopping.  She said yes, of course.  And she did buy a lot.  I do not know why she didn't use the bus that takes residents to various grocery stores and did not ask why.  She has taken the bus to other things.  

Oh well, taken care of.  

The DGDog got an early walk at the State Park.  That way we walked in the shade.  She did not bark at people or dogs.  I think she is "getting it".  It had been quite a while since I took her prior to vacation.  She started pulling on the leash at first.  Had to get that under control and then it was a nice wander.  She has to investigate almost every tree/post that another dog has visited.  I am staying with the park because the poison ivy is very happy. What with her smelling around the edges of trails where the p.i. is, I may end up with it myself like last year.  Taking off her leash which loosens gets my hands onto whatever she was smelling.  Considering getting her a different kind of leash that you put her legs in and connects to the leash up on her shoulders.  We'll see.  

~~Never got to a store to look for an a.c.  Wasn't properly prepared anyway.  I need to measure the window upstairs.  They are so small.  Doubt if there is something that would fit into them.  

~~Poured last night but there seems to be no relief.  The humidity is 90%.  Thank goodness for fans.  

~~Oil change this morning.  Planning on walking the dog but taking her home before the trip to the dump/recycle/grocery store/bank.  

Have volunteered food for the event coming up with weekend for the neighbor who was murdered 2 months back at his place of business.  The organizers are hoping for donations in order to purchase those large signs by the highways. I am thinking they are going to put the pictures of the assailants on the signs in hopes of someone knowing them and calling the police.  

I have not seen the wife in a long time.  She is the backbone of our association.  I have not been attending those meetings like I used to.  So sad.  

~~Tonight is softball....glad I'm just watching.  Friday night is a gathering in honor of the woman who organized our hiking group to go to the Appalachian Trail.  She comes to town every summer.  Lucky her to come in this weather.  

~~And Sunday is my step-granddaughter's high school graduation.  I will attend with my son.  

~~Monday leave early in the day for an overnight with our group who goes to the cabin at the end of February and Lake Huron in the fall.  We are visiting the woman who moved north 2.5 hours.  The woman who moved to Arizona and her hubby are trying to hook up with us while we are there.  That woman was my BFF but has rather fallen from grace for me at least during our last phone convo where she and her hubby made bad jokes about my mom; the last one was about it was time for her to die and them laughing...I hung up on them.  

I have thought and thought about them and their comments and am trying to forgive them.  It does me no good to think on it and brew.  

~~Off to begin the day.
perennialpam
perennialpam

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Thu May 31, 2018 8:32 am

PPam - do you ever use window exhaust fans to help with house temp? I've found them cheap and effective. Since you have an upstairs, the heat will move up, the window fan can suck that out and pull in cooler air through cracked open windows on the lower level. We are in a ranch and use this technique when the night time temps are mid 60's or lower to cool off the house overnight, by putting the fan in a window at one end, and open window at the other end of the house. We close up during the day as outside temps increase. And only use the AC when it gets too hot inside, which is infrequent.
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Thu May 31, 2018 11:20 am

Thanks Rig. I'll look into a window exhaust fan. I keep the house closed up until the temps drop and I do use a fan but perhaps I'm doing it wrong. I'll put one in a window upstairs and open only windows downstairs and see if that help.

~~I'm rather annoyed. The state park employee would not let me take the dog for a walk saying it is not a day use area. Hmm. Of course, when the park shuts down it is not a problem but I did not have time to drive to another place and take Ms. B for a walk. I can tell she was put out. Sad

I pay my taxes, buy annual sticker, why not let me walk a dog for up to an hour? I pick up poo.
perennialpam
perennialpam

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu May 31, 2018 2:13 pm

We use the same strategy with window fans. The upstairs fan should blow out of the house so it draws the air from downstairs. Sometimes we even put a fan on the downstairs window to more forcefully blow the cool air in and through the house.

So glad you were able to get away and enjoy a solo outing Pam.
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Thu May 31, 2018 3:10 pm

Not cool about not allowing you to walk the dog. I would be miffed at that, too. My guess is some irresponsible dog owners previously ruined it for everyone.

I love dogs. What kind of dog do you have?

ONTARIO

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Thu May 31, 2018 4:51 pm

M2M - I thought I was doing the same all this time. I'll try just one open window downstairs and one fan flowing out upstairs tonight.

Ontario - the dog I walk is my granddog. She is a mix -- black lab, rottweiller and one other. I always forget that name because it does not show up physicially. She is 9 yo and weighs a little over 100 lbs.

Well, got some of the weed whipping done. The worst part I'm sure. I do not think I'll be going away during a growing spurt again. I missed out on the poppies, the lilacs were done when I returned were some others.

Oh well, off to bet ready for softball...big fan that I am.
perennialpam
perennialpam

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu May 31, 2018 5:04 pm

Sounds like a couple of busy days for you Pam. I hope you can get the fan situation to work.

Since I have been an owner of German Shepherds, I would guess maybe the look of the “large” dog you had put the employee off. From owning both large and small, I’d be more afraid of the small. Smile

Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:01 am

We had a good thunderstorm last evening on the way to the softball game. The temp dropped 10 degrees! Then last night, thanks to Rig's advice, I set up the fan upstairs and opened the windows downstairs to draw the air up. It worked. The room was also much cooler by the time I went to bed.

I think I need a "good" fan for upstairs to actually pull the air better. I may look into that tomorrow while in town for "mom day". If there are any fans left after this early summer we are having. I suppose there are not that many folks who do not have a.c. these days so I may be in luck.

Two fun softball games to watch. Lots of home runs and they mercyed both teams. That means they were more than 10 runs ahead by the 5th inning. Then the normal hot dogs on the grill and beers followed.

Talked to one of my favorite players about his daughter. She is under 1 and they had discovered last year that she was hearing impaired. Thankfully they live in a county that is actually assisting them. She will get cochlear implants in July and the actual device in August. This is their 3rd girl. I hope to meet her some day. He boasts about how people love her and the nurses and drs. all are drawn to her and give her hugs, etc.

Have to make deviled eggs today in my IP. It is so nice to know that the eggs will turn out so well. Not like in the old days when the shell stuck to the white, etc. Get together tonight with the hiking group.

Will try another place for a dog walk today. Unfortunately it will be near the side of roads where poison ivy lurks.

perennialpam
perennialpam

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:09 am

PPam: Look for a specific type fan, usually they are wide, not tall, with 2 smaller fans side by side. In the normal window your raise the lower sash, put the fan in, adjust the width, and lower the sash down to "seal" the fan in place. The one I have is now about 6 years old, made by Pelonis, but there are a lot of brands available.
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:42 pm

We use that type of fan in our bedroom. We have the type that can blow air in or push air out (without having to physically turn the fan around) - so on the really hot nights - we have one side of the room pulling in cool air - and the other side of the room pushing out the hot air. Seems to work well enough - until the nights get above 75 degrees - then its time for the A/C.
tomi1000
tomi1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 23 of 41 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 32 ... 41  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum