Perennially Yours

Page 22 of 41 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 31 ... 41  Next

Go down

Perennially Yours - Page 22 Empty Re: Perennially Yours

Post by perennialpam on Tue May 01, 2018 3:31 am

KR, Pedi, Tomi and NM -- thanks for the support. I still cannot believe he thought it was okay to say those things AND has not called to say sorry. My BFF commented on my FB comment about my walk in the woods yesterday. She simply liked my comment. Does she honestly have no idea that I was upset with both of them? Interesting.

~~I did the bushwhack to the Bloodroot. Found some the notable areas that I recalled from previous trips there. I was lost over there within the last 2 weeks not finding the "deer bones by a tree" or the rock that is nearby. Touchstones. Yep, found them yesterday.

Crossed the creek over to what I used to call Trillium Hill. But, hey, the hill is also filled with the BR! I am sad to say that I wanted to walk further but my low back was saying no. I noticed last week during the tree distribution that my back was bothering me. I should have stopped on that account. Perhaps I worked too long and have injured it.

The up and down the hills in my yard are bothering me too. Darn it.

~~Did some laundry; tried to fix the mistake I made with the credit card payment. Not happening on the phone. I need to take mom into the bank and they'll help us figure it out. $950 in credit just isn't feasible as she barely uses her CC. You see, I wrote out a check for the "previous balance" not the amount due. I have been making mistakes.

~~Today is The Moth. Falling is the theme and I simply cannot figure out a story---not that I would tell one with my friend meeting me there. I will be holding a seat for her. She does not have to stand in line because of that.

~~Calling for the 70s today...we almost reached that yesterday. No fires per the DNR announcement through my email and the weather forecast sites. I gather the wind will be heftier. I was not planning on burning anyway.

~~The co-founder of Burning Man has died. He was 70 -- like me. I had put Burning Man on my Bucket list last year. Not that I'll really go...still considering the local one in MI though. Just to get a "taste" of what it is all about. The description in the article about the co-founder was that is it a counterculture celebration. From what I've seen online there are many things I like about it.

~~Still ignoring the leaves. And did not get my fanny outside to plant my iris. That will not be a "small" duty and probably why.

~~Taking the DGDog in for nail trimming today and a walk.

perennialpam
perennialpam

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Tue May 01, 2018 11:33 am

DGDog and I hiked down to the area in The Pines where I picked up trash 2 winters back. There is debris there again. Certainly not as bad as when I adopted it back then. I'll need to go sans dog with a plastic sled and lots of garbage bags.

~~There is a scent in the air that I cannot identify. I would get whiffs every once and awhile yesterday and today. I do not see any blooming trees and/or flowers that would give off that scent.

Last month I may have stated that I saw skunk cabbage....wrong they were the beginning of pitcher plants as now the skunk cabbage is abound.

Changed a dental cleaning appointment to today. Yea. Leaves tomorrow mine.

~~Tried to fit in a hair cut....she is leaving on vacation and I can not get in until 5-25! wow. Live and Learn. She told me about this last haircut. I am on a waiting list though.

70s and gorgeous.

perennialpam
perennialpam

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Tue May 01, 2018 4:30 pm

Delurking here for a moment to say how much I enjoy your journal and admire the way you take care of your mother and stay active and social. Lessons for us all.
The Walrus
The Walrus

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue May 01, 2018 5:30 pm

Sorry you have some issues to deal with. Mistakes are probably from stress and you’ve had a lot lately

Have fun at Moth.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Wed May 02, 2018 3:55 am

The Walrus stopped by! Wow. I think even after surgery. Smile

NM, my continuous supporter. Smile

~~The Moth was good, of course. As usual I place my coat on a chair (to reserve it) and if I have a friend coming I put to use my homemade Reserved sign. My friend arrived about 20 minutes prior to the start of story telling. Just before her arrival a person in a motorized wheelchair was placed right in front of where we would be sitting. I have to admit I was bummed about that but soon realized that my friend's mother had been in a wheelchair much like this and she would be cool with it. And we both were.

One of my favorite acquaintances came last night. I had not seen him in a couple of shows. He is a man who weighs 400 lbs (he mentioned that last night) and is fighting liver cancer. We spoke for a few minutes. He was uncertain about telling his story.

He did end up telling his story and won! He is one of my favorite story tellers but mostly I like him because he is friendly.

~~It is 63F this morning with another high 70s day predicted. Straight into summer. That has been happening the last few years....no real spring.

~~My usual Hump Day. DGDog and I will be hiking, of course, and going into a nearby town for dump/recycling duty, Dollar Tree purchases, Goodwill donation and a stop at the local grocery store hoping for some "Reduced" meat purchases. I usually get a good deal or two.

I hope to vacuum the vehicle once again prior to my drive to Lake Huron on Sunday. It's on the list.....like Pedi, it may be moved to another day. Nothing like procrastination.

perennialpam
perennialpam

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Fri May 04, 2018 6:21 pm

Sounds as if you might be prepping for a little getaway? I sure hope so! Enjoy yourself and be safe.
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Sun May 13, 2018 1:20 am

M2M - correct. Went to my friend's house on Lake Huron to assist with opening it for the rental season. This was my 2nd time helping. Much to do. I have some duties that I take care of in the fall that are reverse for spring. So I knew what to do initially.

My friend makes lists -- they are everywhere and adds items that need doing on the fly. I took care of some items while another friend sanded and coated all the exposed wood on the enclosed porch. He then took a razor and skimmed off the gunk that got onto the windows.

I started cleaning and rearranging things. The couple are not married and the man inherited the home from his creative parents. Not much has changed in the years since. The parents were into stained glass and many other creative ventures. Unfortunately, the storage areas are filled with potential projects that were never started/finished.

The son doesn't want much changed. The garage and shed are a mess and I would really like to get in there and pitch stuff but respect his wishes. He is very unhealthy and unable to do anything.

I was glad to help and glad that I went.

~~So now I am back to my own problems and that involved an overdraft of mom's checking account. I was not totally on top of moving the money from savings into savings not to mention the mistake I made paying the credit card bill. At least we got the ball rolling on the over-payment to the card. She will be getting a check (within 10-14 days).

I have now committed to looking at her budget. With the housing increase I will need to move money now. Her income will not cover the bills. This is new.

~~Yesterday she had wanted to go to a cat show. I was not, in the least, interested in going to a cat show. Besides the fact that it was pouring I honestly figured I could get out of this but it is Mother's Day Weekend.... We went.

The cages the cats are in make it difficult to see them. The only way to see them is to go sit in the Judge's areas. There were 5-6 of those. It was interesting to see the various types of cats. I do love cats just not into this kind of thing. Mom enjoyed it so that is good.

I will be returning to her place for a luncheon at noon after going with my sons for breakfast beforehand.

~~I can't sleep for some reason. It is 4 a.m. and I've been up since 1:30. I tried a couple of times to get down. Not working. So, here I am making it impossible for a sleep as the book did not work, nor the newspaper. The light from this computer will impede it further. Oh well.

The book was stupid and therefore disappointing. Initially the story was going well and then things were not being explained or explored leaving out important information that never came.

Happy Mother's Day!
perennialpam
perennialpam

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Sun May 13, 2018 7:02 am

You are an angel to help out your friend with the place on Lake Huron, that sounds like a huge project to me.
I hope you can get your Mom's financial stuff squared away. I don't remember, do you have check writing/deposit ability on her account and do you do on-line banking? If you don't, I'd highly recommend exploring that option as it should make your efforts in tracking things much easier.
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun May 13, 2018 2:13 pm

Sounds like a busy few days.

Glad you could treat mom to a cat show. Would not have been my thing either.

I agree with Rig about the finances. What I just did with my folks and being able to check the account from home is huge.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Sun May 13, 2018 4:07 pm

Thanks guys. I do have the ability to "write" checks and deposit/withdraw money using a mom's debit card.

I managed to fool the online banking (as mom will not put me on the account) and now have the ability to view her accounts. I have screwed up twice this last month and it figures due to the fire.

I still need access to her larger stock accounts. It is doable but I want it in place prior to her "mental capacity" shows more. That way when the time comes for "assistance or assisted living" I can start tapping those funds once the savings is gone.

I just did a spreadsheet of income vs. expenditures. Only over by about $800 per month. I had never figured things out by the year. I feel better now as I was not computing things correctly earlier today.

As far as helping my friends....they have let us have The Hideaway (she attends too) for the last few years for an entire week. I tried and succeeded in finding out how much they charge for a week (minimum stay) and we have been really treated well. We simply throw out $20 each....way below what they normally charge. $1,500 per week. So I am considering asking folks to donate much more this year. Helping them is the least I can do.
perennialpam
perennialpam

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Sun May 13, 2018 6:43 pm

awesome friends are a treasure!  Awesome Friends with Hideaways at discounted prices are big treasures!  Wink
tomi1000
tomi1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Mon May 14, 2018 5:12 am

I managed to fool the online banking (as mom will not put me on the account) and now have the ability to view her accounts.
If you can log in to view her account, track transactions, etc. I bet you can also initiate payments and transfer money between accounts (checking to savings) etc. I know in my on-line bank account, if you know my login id/Password, you can do anything in the account that I can. If you haven't done so, I'd suggest trying that. Then you could set up automatic monthly payments for those "have to" things. I use a spreadsheet to plan cash flow, showing future expenses and cash in-flows in chronological order. Keeps me in line from overspending.
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Mon May 14, 2018 7:18 am

Thanks Rig. I have done exactly as you described above but have not paid bills online like I do with my own account.

I am sure I can do but she really only has one bill (a combined AT&T and Comcast) which is drastically reduced because of being a senior. Only $90 per month.

She likes having the checks (just ordered a new set) and seeing the check register. Perhaps I will ask her if I can do that but with the last couple of issues (my own fault) I will wait.

I just transferred all her savings to her checking. That way I do not have to worry and she actually suggested that yesterday due to the low "interest" it collects. Heck she gets the same low interest on her checking but she probably has not noticed/realized.

Thanks.
perennialpam
perennialpam

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Mon May 14, 2018 11:28 am

Transitioning the money management is always kinda awkward and difficult. My mom was grateful for me to take over writing out her checks (due to her poor eyesight), but as we wanted to make other changes she was resisting. First step for us was to combine her accounts and change banks. That was hard for her because she had been at the same savings & loan for over 50 years. I think she believed they would notice her leaving and be insulted. Smile It took another 5 years before she was open to allowing the set up of auto payments for her utilities. But - its all working well now. I think you are being respectful and careful with your mom finances. It will all come together.
tomi1000
tomi1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon May 14, 2018 1:42 pm

Just went through this with my folks. Getting things lined out little by little. Fortunately, once the house closes on the 24th the amount of people needing paid with sharply decrease. Their rent includes all utilities, so all of those come off the table. Then it will just be their health insurance, cable/internet, life insurance and any Dr bills that the incurr
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Tue May 15, 2018 4:17 am

With the credit card screw up and the fire responsibilities -- I messed up.  I spent a good amount of time and finally was able to get the online review of accounts working and am certain things will move better now.  I still do not like automatic payments and like receiving a bill with the appropriate info to look at....contact info, account numbers, etc.  Old fashioned and I do not care.  

I do pay my own bills online but still receive the hard copy bill.  Bet the companies do not like that.  I do not care.

Lunch with friends.  I sat across from my Lake Huron friend yesterday; meaning that I could really look at her.  She has lost so much weight and looks so pale.  She has been on a elimination diet since October and has continued with excessive weight loss.  She has an appointment with her doctor on Friday to run a couple of tests to determine if it is her gallbladder or ______ (I forget the other possibility).  That will determine if she has surgery.  

She does not like to talk about the food she can / cannot eat or to be the center of focus in that regard.  We are all willing to make concessions in the food area if we only knew what the list said.  We are going to visit one of our folks who moved last summer in June for an overnight and would like to take up food.  I so understand not wanting to talk about the food.  

~~Took the DGDog for a hike and she jumped in the wetland near the trail.  She has just had a bath last weekend.  Sorry DS.  

~~The weather has turned from cold to humid-hot.  Good grief I surely miss a real spring and a gradual warming.  It is still raining and causing flooding.  

~~Trillium, lilacs, redbud trees, and silver dollar (Lunaria annua -- for LB) are all blooming.  The peonies grew at least a foot in the 4 nights I was gone and are setting buds.  

~~Got my house powerwashed and the front deck/steps were stained.  That was nice to come home to.  

~~Text from my mechanic that he could work on my vehicle today.  No idea of what time I should show up (and wait) or how much cash to bring along.  Hopefully will hear from him soon.  Need to go through the car wash as the dirt roads are wrecking havic on the underside.  

~~Laundry under way.
perennialpam
perennialpam

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Tue May 15, 2018 4:59 am

I do pay my own bills online but still receive the hard copy bill. Bet the companies do not like that. I do not care.
I'm with you on this. And I don't care either, and it annoys me they constantly want me to abandon the paper bill in favor of electronic bill. I like having the historical paper trail in my files. And in paying the bills, I do NOT use the "convenient" automatic bill pay options through the various outfits' web sites, I set 'em up for recurring payment directly through my bank account. It takes no time at all to go in and change the $ amount when I get the actual bill. And you can't beat the cost, it is free (the bank gets to withdraw the $ on the day of entry, and gets to play the float until the payee cashes the check), I save at least the cost of postage on each bill.
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Tue May 15, 2018 9:48 am

perennialpam wrote:
She does not like to talk about the food she can / cannot eat or to be the center of focus in that regard.

I so understand not wanting to talk about the food.  

So understandable indeed... especially when one has to do an elimination diet for medical reasons and not simply limit ones diet out of free choice. Wish she would give all of you the opportunity to help her with it and make it somewhat easier, but you know your friends, perhaps she tries to avoid endless discussions...

perennialpam wrote:~~Trillium, lilacs, redbud trees, and silver dollar (Lunaria annua -- for LB) are all blooming. The peonies grew at least a foot in the 4 nights I was gone and are setting buds.

Perennially Yours - Page 22 Redbud-tree

So pretty.... and it must be awesome to pick up their scents. Smile Love peonies.  I love you

Thanks PPam for clarifying for me. Had that one for years, but somehow it has vanished... Sad
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Tue May 15, 2018 10:04 am

LB - mine used to volunteer more ferociously. At least I get a few each year. They grow where they want and I pull when I want.

perennialpam
perennialpam

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Tue May 15, 2018 10:15 am

From the sound of it your garden is much bigger than mine and chances of something being gone (especially plants like that) are much smaller then as they have plenty of space to choose from. Smile

Self-acceptance doesn’t mean that you’re no longer allowed to change anything about yourself. It means that you love yourself without condition, regardless of your flaws; that you can be both okay with yourself and committed to change, at the same time. - Sean Croxton
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Tue May 15, 2018 12:04 pm

I'm old fashioned in bill paying also. I still get the bill in the mail, and I still write a check and mail it back. But, its much easier with moms stuff to do auto pay. She can't see the bill anyway due to her very poor eyesight, so whats the point in getting one. Smile funny place in time we are all in - my son does everything via the internet, he doesn't even have any checks. It's all done with debit cards and online paying. Or, good old cash.

Lovely flowers!
tomi1000
tomi1000

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Tue May 15, 2018 1:49 pm

Tomi - those are Redbud Trees. They stick out so nicely!
perennialpam
perennialpam

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue May 15, 2018 5:10 pm

I do mostly like Rig does with the bills. Why pay postage?

I hope you get the car thing all lined out.

Love all the new blooms. My lilac hasn’t started blooming yet, but I can’t wait. My new Cherry tree I planted has grown at least 6” with all the rain. Happy about that.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Fri May 18, 2018 5:03 am

I pay my own bills online. No wonder the USPS is having difficulty.

I still do get bills in the mail. That way I have the account numbers onhand should I need them.

~~Excited. I have found 10 days that I can devote to a camp trip. I am requesting the event I volunteered for can be filled by someone else on Wednesday. If not....no 10 days but at least I'll have 5 in my favorite spot. I do plan on honoring the fact that I volunteered.

~~Mom took it well. I am pleasantly surprised.

perennialpam
perennialpam

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Fri May 18, 2018 11:23 am

Hoping you find coverage so you can have 10 days.
Pedidoc
Pedidoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 22 of 41 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 31 ... 41  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum