Perennially Yours

Page 3 of 28 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15 ... 28  Next

Go down

Re: Perennially Yours

Post by perennialpam on Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:47 am

Most of the drive now done.  The roof has been raked.  

Called SS today to inquire about switching over to my own SS withdrawals.  I stand to up my withdrawal about $100 which is not much but a nice addition to my income.  I honestly was thinking it would be loads more.  I was able to hook onto my former husbands due to being married to him over 10 years and being 66 and not remarried.  I inquired and the rule has been changed.  Leaving my own alone meant that it grew 8% per year.  Smart move on my part.  Where else can you get that percentage?  And it does nothing for my former husband's account due to my hooking onto it.  FYI.

If someone was born before 1954, the way above is grandfathered in.  Otherwise there are  new rules that I did not ask about.  

Went to town yesterday for my hair cut.  I had gotten to the point last week where I was having trouble with it.  I had waited 9 weeks.  Then yesterday morning it behaved itself.  Go figure.  Regardless, it is shorter again and I like it.  

Since I was in town I decided on a movie:  Wonder.  I really like Julia Roberts and I liked the movie too.  A tear jerker in some parts, for me at least.  

Had BeefBimBop for lunch.  I like the restaurant I go to as they remember me and the food is quick.  Not too thrilled with the quality any longer.  I am going to seek out another restaurant that serves that dish again.  The last one I checked out I really did not like.  

Taking the DGDog for a longer walk today as she'll just love playing in the snow.  I did not go there yesterday....
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:17 pm

Lovebird wrote:
Rig D wrote:
Very Happy Ontario just added a Moderators usergroup, and LB is included. There have been some PM's on her getting involved over the last week, glad it is finalized.

Not quite. But I'm sure Ontario will figure it out. It's not like she has only the forum stuff to deal with.  Cool As delighted as I am with having my own usergroup Laughing, I'd rather be in the moderator group as planned/promised to be able to deal with non-behaving guests... Wink

See? Solved. sunny
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:20 pm

BeefBimBop! What a whimsical name for a food. Now I have to look it up and try.
Last week I had the sudden urge to watch Fried Green Tomatos. I really like the characters and the story.
Hope your snow romp with DGDog was fun.
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:45 pm

Heuristicfireflower wrote:BeefBimBop!  What a whimsical name for a food.  Now I have to look it up and try.

I only know Bibimbap... Korean mixed rice dish,

like on the PHD website: http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2011/10/bi-bim-bap/
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:34 pm

Aaah! that looks good. The Korean concept of fried eggs on dishes is not a bad habit to pick up.
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:36 pm

I spelled it wrong and was too lazy to look up the proper spelling.  Our new moderator is right on the ball....haha

I feel you need to have a taste for this dish.  It is good for you but beneath is lots of rice.  Control how much rice you eat.  

~~Finished up the driveway.  Had hoped my neighbor who normally adopts me would take care of what I left but he must be at work....haha  So I took care of that and the snow near the mailboxes that needs removing so the USPS can deliver.  

then I took my sled up the hill....all the way up to my son's backyard and the darn thing was coated with crappy ice and would not slide!  I even moved further down the hill (steeper) and wiped off what I could.  No deal!  Bummer.  

Lots of exercise today.  The DGDog loved romping at the State Park and we were the only ones there.  Nice long walk but the wind was fierce and we only stayed one-half hour.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:37 pm

Pam - I love reading your adventures. As winter exercise goes, shoveling is something don't mind, even though I don't like the snow. Sorry you could not get a good sled ride in today.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:21 am

The forecast is now for 5 to 8 inches and it has been snowing since the sun (daylight) arrived. Talk about exercise!

My neighbor did adopt me again this year and did the end of the driveway last night. You know where the plow puts lots of snow and it is more difficult to remove. Thank goodness.

Talked to Social Security yesterday in connection with turning 70 and the need to switch off my former husband's SS. Since I waited my stash has grown 8% per year and like the worker said, where else can you expect that much growth?

I will be going in on Friday; my day off of DGDog hikes.

I will be talking with the company that manages my money today. I hate these talks since I know so little about mutual funds and investing. But I need to ask questions about MRD (Minimum Required Distribution) form that I need to fill out eventually.

I will not have to begin taking any money until June 2019. That was a surprise. I have a year from the time I turn 70.5. I do think I'll wait until 2019. worried about income tax.

A friend had surgery yesterday. One-half her thyroid was taken. It will be reviewed for cancer. My breast cancer friend has 3 more chemo treatments and then surgery discussion will follow. Following that, radiation.

My friend with lung issues is back home. They found he has an extremely uncommon bacterial lung infection and is being treated with antibiotics. He also got shingles during his hospital stay and is still coughing a little blood.

Another friend is hoping for his back surgery any time now. He is single and is depending upon friends to attend his surgeries and help with recoup. This will be the 3rd operation (2 knees last year) in less than a year. His best friends do not live nearby: Kentucky and Indiana.

My AZ BFF's DH will be having foot surgery sometime next year. Everyone is falling apart.

None of them are primal and always made fun of my food choices.

Sleep still bad.

I finally turned on the heat in my bedroom. It was 42 and I decided I'd had enough. You see I have electric heat and have always worked to keep that use down as much as possible. I used to wait until I saw my breath but I believe those days are over for me.

perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:33 am

(((HUGS))) So sorry so many of your friends are having such a hard time.
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:20 pm

You may have a surprise with your financial people. There are two types of IRA's (assuming that's where your funds are). Most likely your $ were put in there "tax deferred" so you invested "pre-tax" dollars. There is a newer version that allows you to invest "after tax" dollars, and I believe whatever you pull out of those is not subject to income tax.
Hope it goes well.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:45 pm

Having a good diet will ease whatever ailments we will get. Knowledge is power and health safety. Sad to read about the struggles of your friends.
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:58 pm

Thanks LB and HFF.

Rig...pre-taxed offerings. No surprise as I know I have to pay taxes. The original idea was that I'd pay lower since I would not bringing in as much money. We will see.

One swipe of shoveling completed. I was really thinking they were going to be wrong about the snowfall as it really slowed down.....until Now! haha.

I really should roof rake right now before I need to shovel again. Good workout.

My DGDog has so much fun running in the snow and sticking her nose down into it. I can tell she misses smelling every scent she can find. At the end I caught her eating some disposed of deer carcass! Brat.

perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:36 pm

I sure hope that when I'm your age I'm still tugging a sled up the hill in hopes of a good ride! Throw a snowball for me.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:54 pm

I have shoveled the drive and taken care of the roof again. I may need to do one more time before I head to bed this evening. I was bushed from the DGDog walk in the deeper snow up hill, etc. so I failed to go for another try up the hill. I will tomorrow for sure.

The snow isn't packable M2M or I would throw a snowball. I have been considering starting another igloo. It is time to shovel a path around the house and I can envision throwing that snow into another pile like I did years back.

I'd rather it be squares but the snow does not cooperate or care what I want.

I also thought about digging out the cc skis. I could swish around my backyard. The road has too many rocks now or I'd have a better, longer, swish around the neighborhood.

wow, Christmas is nearly here.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:24 pm

Always wanted to learn to Xski. That would be solid workout around your property. One strong lady to shovel and push frozen water clear of your property.....year after year!
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:02 am

1/2 driveway shoveled (exception: the show-plowed end) and 1/2 the roof raked. I must get that done and travel over to my friend's house. She just had 2 medical treatments and needs rest; her man is the one with an exotic blood bacteria and shingles on his fanny and is in no shape for any physical labor. He is on oxygen all the time now. Sad

Then, perhaps the DGDog will get another hike today. She was so cute yesterday. Being solid black she stands out against the snow especially when she turns around to wait for me to catch up. I should get a picture.

11F here this morning.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:10 pm

11F, that's minus 11! Cold.

Sorry your friends man is so sick, but the way you describe it just does not translate into Kiwi English. My mind boggles.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:50 pm

Annie:  my friend has bad lungs to begin with and is wearing oxygen all the time now as whatever he has has become worse.  On top of that he has a very uncommon bacterial infection.  They do not know how he got it.  I know of no other way to describe shingles.  He has his vaccination 5 years ago.

Scares me as my vaccination is is older than that.  May be time for a booster.  

~~~I did shovel their drive this morning.  We are expecting more snow tomorrow.  The total will not end up being the same as what we received this week but I understand visibility will be a problem.  

~~~The vehicle got a bath today.  The snow was building up behind or in front of each wheel and it was time to take care of it.  

Bought some more windshield wiper fluid and it is a good thing I did now as the stores are almost out.  

Made an oil change appointment for tomorrow.  Afterward I plan on visiting the Social Security Office to take care of what needs doing.  

~~~Purchased stamps for mom.  Found a bath mat that mom MAY like.  I found loads last week during her grocery shopping trip but she did not like them.  She wants to put something on her couch to protect it from any bathroom issues.  However, she does not want the mat to have a rubber-back.  What I found today is smaller with only a light rubber-back.  

Also purchased all the paper supplies for when the WI family comes on New Years Weekend.  That way I'll be able to drop it off now.  

~~~Need to grab some thread and needles and a threader to sew up mom's torn lining in her old, old, coat.  It ripped the night we went out for my birthday when I pulled on it to get mom's arm into it.  I had forgotten about it.  When I arrived on Saturday it was spread on a chair with a request that I scotch tape it together!  OMG.  I have a list going of things like this I need to take care of.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:24 pm

It wasn't the word shingles I had problems with, but "fanny". A man doesn't have one.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:45 pm

Moms are the new 10's (year olds). I took my moms salvageable shoes to get new heels so they can resume circulation once again. Many more did not make it, too worn or too high heeled.
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:10 pm

Pam you have a long list of to dos. I’m worn out with all the snow you moved. Too bad you didn’t get another sled ride.

If your mom doesn’t mind white on her couch you can get cloth incontentince pads on Amazon in varying sizes. I get them for DH there. They are soft and no rubber but hold a lot should the need arise and Very simply laundered. Very durable and comfortable.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:39 am

AnnieH wrote:It wasn't the word shingles I had problems with, but "fanny". A man doesn't have one.
Very Happy Very Happy Boy, I wish that were true!

corrected my quote. Sheesh, I completely copied the wrong thing!

Last edited by Rig D on Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:57 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Iggernunce in copy/paste)
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:46 am

Annieh wrote:It wasn't the word shingles I had problems with, but "fanny".  A man doesn't have one.

fanny = bottom (butt). And yes they do....sometimes really nice ones. haha
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:05 am

Today's agenda:  oil change.  

Drive into town and sit in the Social Security Office to switch to my own account now that I am older.  I will receive a small increase.  I'll take it.  

Who would have thought that a highly paid carpenter's SS$ would be less than a public administrator assistant?  I guess working FT for years makes a difference.  

I will purchase mom's Sees candies that she really likes (loves)--2 boxes for her and 1 for my BIL's gal.  Already got her the stamps.  

Should get prepared for our visit tomorrow too.  Needles/thread, bigger plant base.  Her Christmas cactus has not shown any signs of putting out flowers and she felt it was root bound.  I have already switched it over but decided the container I brought was still too small.

I still search the web for boots for an elderly person who can barely bend down to put them on. This is worrisome because the shoes she does wear do not really cover her feet. Sad I keep trying to find something she can just push her feet into but most depend upon hands to help and she just cannot do that part.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:31 am

https://blog.shermanstravel.com/2014/14-american-words-with-completely-different-meanings-overseas/
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 28 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15 ... 28  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum