Perennially Yours

Page 20 of 41 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30 ... 41  Next

Go down

Re: Perennially Yours

Post by perennialpam on Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:29 am

What people do not understand is that they are replacing everything and will be charging mom the going rate due to these updates.  My point is that the updates were not needed.  

I do realize it means contacting, ordering, etc.  Her apartment rent is going up $500.  That is due to the upgrades.  New doors, hardware, new kitchen cabinets, countertops, sink, appliances, bathroom cabinets, sink, countertops, new carpeting, painting.  

I have made the appointment for Saturday.  Thankfully we can discuss then and mom will attend.  She is the one who wanted the appointment.  

~~DGDog walk yesterday at the campground with people and other dogs.  My DGDog is a barker and weighs 100 lbs.  She seems aggressive but is not.  Once she starts barking the other dogs do too.  Yesterday she did not bark and was friendly with the only dog around.  Then when we went to walk away the other dog got snarly.  Hmm.  

~~Worked in the yard.  Cut back the remainder of my grasses:  Last huge Zebra, 3 good sized ribbons, 2 others I forget the name of and all the fountain grasses.  Picked up sticks around the yard and got the fire pit going.  Nice day.  All my friends think it is too cold to work outside right now.  I totally disagree and love the fact that there are no insects to deal with and you do not end up sweating much.  I love yard work this time of year.  

Exercise in the form of walking, bending, moving all keep me in shape and I am beginning to realize my health is so connected to these activities.  I am luckier than many of my cohorts.  

~~Lunch with the 12 Days of Christmas Secret Santas today sans the AZ and upper MI part of our group.  Those who moved away have caused issues with going forward and understanding of the decision made up north last fall.  So reminds me of my days of taking the minutes for the organization I was working with.  They would come to an agreement and then everyone had a different idea of what that agreement was.  It happened all the time and I was probably part of the "different idea" of the agreement too.  Groups -- funny.  

~~Need some good for me groceries and I do not feel like driving into town for better deals.  Guess I will go locally today.  Need that Buttercrunch Living Lettuce that I tend to eat up prior to it going bad.  In other words, something I will eat vs. other types of lettuce.  This lettuce comes from OH and is hydroponic. I love it. Really clean and easy to wash off.

~~Lunching tomorrow with a woman I had left behind on purpose.  We will see how this goes.  There were 3 of us and when we got together the 2 of them pretty much ignored my input and I got tired of feeling left out.  There was another disagreement about people who throw their mattresses, junk, along the side of dirt roads.  She did not think that was a big deal and felt that it would be picked up in the end.  Living in the country I'm pretty aware of those 2 things but know that the cost of picking up the trash is passed onto the citizens who live there.  We will not be discussing either of these things today.  We will see where it goes.  

~~Snow again this morning while last week's snowman is striving to stay alive.  Am not going to play this morning.  

Have a great day.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vh67 on Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:03 pm

Pam, usually in a case like your mom's, all that she would owe is the actual cash value of the damage. That would be the cost to replace it with like-kind appliances, cabinets and etc minus depreciation. Her lease may obligate her to additional damages but she should not have to pay for upgrades. Since she was at fault, she does owe to replace or repair what was actually damaged, not what the company wants to replace it with. it does seem like company is trying to take advantage of the situation. You may try contacting a senior advocate or ombudsmen with a local city/county/state office.
Vh67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:47 am

Pam I sure hope your lunch went well yesterday.

Sounds like Vh knows what she’s talking about in re to the apt. Before reading her reply I felt this should be challenged. Upping the rent on top of it doesn’t sound fair either, esp to that extent.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:11 am

Val - thanks for your input.  That was where I was going too.  Like I said I have a picture and that may be our salvation.  I will look into an ombudsman or senior advocate.  Thank you so much.  

NM - will see where we get.  

~~Lunch meeting was great.  Felt like a complete group for the first time since the other 2 left us when they moved.  

One of our members is dealing with some digestive issues and has been eating a limited diet for quite some time.  It is difficult to understand what is being left out of her diet and because of that when we went to the cabin---she took care of what she needed.

Until Sunday -- she ended up in the hospital with severe pain down her gullet -- as I understand it.  Her potassium was critically low.  She is having leg cramps.  Over the last year she last lost a lot of weight.  It is becoming even more noticeable.  I am worried about her.  

~~We settled the issues we met to discuss.  12 Days is back to our initial formation, a gift for 12 days.  

~~Took the DGDog for a shorter walk yesterday as we noticed another owner and dog on our normal path.  While she was "at notice" of the other dog, she did not bark just stood starring and the other walker avoided us.  So it could have been a non-friendly dog.  Went much later in the day due to the lunch length.  

~~Going in for hearing aid fix.  Apparently the company figures that battery latch is not working correctly and that is why my aid (only left) knocks out of use (only sometimes) way before the suggested all day length of use.  

Following that I run over to the city I used to work in to meet up with "still working" previous coworker.  We have not seen each other in a long time.  Shock in our aging will take place I am sure.  Would we even recognize each other in a situation where we were not expecting to see each other.  Life is interesting.  

~~I tune into the Osprey cam off and on during the year but it gets really exciting with they come back to start the romance and bringing up their family and now is that time.  Steve arrived yesterday morning.  He will begin refreshing the nest with new sticks and camouflage.  Just hearing nature on that feed is enough to make me happy.  That is the reason during the winter months I check in once in a while.  Hearing the water lap at the shoreline and in the spring all the birds talking.  

I am not positive but I think The Walrus was the one who clued me into this group. This will be my 3rd/4th year. Not sure. Thanks for that link TW!

~~I got what I thought was a cankor sore last week.  It enlarged and was quite painful.  I am still dealing with it as it is not completely healed yet.  Wondering if it could actually be something else.  I seem to be congested with sore lymph nodes down my neck.  May need to consider a dr / dentist visit.  Not sure.  

~~Drive to Lake Michigan will occur tomorrow.  I would rather be going to Manistee but timing / obligations would not work out for me.  I want to spend at least 3 nights up there.  

~~Snow starting!  Good grief.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:52 am

The female osprey made it back to the nest yesterday while I was out driving/hiking to and from and on Lake MI beach. Walked for 6 hours, drove for 6 total. Works for me.

It was cloudy and windy. Had to wear my coat the entire time. No problem, lots of pockets. After my last visit there I was getting the hang of finding Indian Beads (Crinoids). This time I managed much better. Last time only 3. This time too many to count.

Of course, what would a day away from duties be without a mom problem. As soon as I hit the road I got a call from mom saying her aids were not working and that the charger was blinking. Since she cannot hear me I was unable to let her understand that the charger was blinking because the aids were not charged. Instead she hung up on me.

While on the drive I made a plan and hoped for the best. Called the place where she resides and requested a written note to mom explaining that the aids are not charged until the blinking stops. Went about my day.

Then when I stopped for lunch I see a voice message from mom's pharmacy. They had been trying to get a hold of her for a few days to deliver the med her dr. ordered. So I called them and explained that she has been moved temporarily to another room. I have no idea who these meds were ordered as I thought we had filled her meds until Oct quite some time back.

As you might expect these issues rather ruined the free wheeling feeling I was hoping for yesterday. I rather expected a phone call from mom once her batteries were charged but none came and I was not in the mood to try to talk last night when I got home.

Am getting ready for the meeting about the charges to mom tomorrow.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:54 am

The female osprey made it back to the nest yesterday while I was out driving/hiking to and from and on Lake MI beach.  Walked for 6 hours, drove for 6 total.  Works for me.  

It was cloudy and windy.  Had to wear my coat the entire time.  No problem, lots of pockets.  After my last visit there I was getting the hang of finding Indian Beads (Crinoids).  This time I managed much better.  Last time only 3.  This time too many to count.  

Of course, what would a day away from duties be without a mom problem.  As soon as I hit the road I got a call from mom saying her aids were not working and that the charger was blinking.  Since she cannot hear me I was unable to let her understand that the charger was blinking because the aids were not charged.  Instead she hung up on me.  

While on the drive I made a plan and hoped for the best.  Called the place where she resides and requested a written note to mom explaining that the aids are not charged until the blinking stops.  Went about my day.  

Then when I stopped for lunch I see a voice message from mom's pharmacy.  They had been trying to get a hold of her for a few days to deliver the med her dr. ordered.  So I called them and explained that she has been moved temporarily to another room.  I have no idea who
or why these meds were ordered as I thought we had filled her meds until Oct quite some time back.  

As you might expect these issues rather ruined the free wheeling feeling I was hoping for yesterday.  I rather expected a phone call from mom once her batteries were charged but none came and I was not in the mood to try to talk last night when I got home.  

Am getting ready for the meeting about the charges to mom tomorrow.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:20 am

Hope things go well with mom charges meeting.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:18 pm

I second Kathi

So sorry your relaxation day was ruined with Mom problems. I totally get it.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:24 am

No change to the charge outcome. Manager became very defensive when asked questions. I initially asked what "prior charges of $168" were on mom's last bill. She got stressed and then wrote out something that she did not give me or explain well. Talked to mom condescendingly, IMHO. Don't way "we" when you mean "you"!

I left her a message this morning asking for the piece of paper she wrote on and if 4-22 is the date we could move mom back in. I do not expect to hear back until Monday.

Turned to ice cream; mint chocolate. Oh well.

Glad I purchased some groceries on my way home yesterday as we are getting bombarded with snow and now rain/ice. Glad I cut back all my grasses on Friday and took the time to have a brush fire. Still more to do but am definitely getting into gardening mode and muscles. No sore muscles from any work so far. Just cannot do as much as I could in the past. Back ache. Need to lean back and put my arms up so that I can continue. Learn to be aware when too much is exactly that!

No snowman today.

Big week of fun things: The Moth as a patron; theme: Mail. David Sedaris on Wednesday evening with a nice meal beforehand with breast cancer friend. May end up picking her up/home if she would like. Means a longer drive for me but I can handle it.

Thursday/Friday another trip to the lake with a friend who keeps saying, take me when you go. This will be the last trip over there. Last Thursday I was walking that beach and yesterday there were 2 surfers on the lake. Wave action means loads of trinkets on the beach. wish we were going Monday vs. later. Oh well. That's what I get for extending an offer to my friend.

perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:33 pm

Pam, I might consider continuing the discussion. If the manager became defensive, it might mean they never expected it to be questioned. That would mean it’s excessive. I’d still consider moving her to some place else.

Hopefully there will still be trinkets when you get to the beach. Maybe more waves during the week before you get there.

Have fun with your cancer friend.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:19 am

NM, can't move mom away from there. She decided to move there long before she actually did and now she has made many friends....that I get to meet every time I visit.

In reviewing the "weather forecast" today would not have been a good beach day as it will be snowing.

Turns out my son needs me to transport to pick up a vehicle that is being worked on. It is the guy who could not find time for me. Hmph. Perhaps he'll give my issue a look-see while we're there. Who knows.

Have not been sleeping as well. I need to get back on the sleep train.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:40 am

I understand about Mom’ s friends, but that could also play into why they thing they can over charge her. If they don’t have a waiting list, I might mention the move possiblity as the rent being jumped way too much in addition to the base charge. Maybe they would at least cut that back some.

Yeah its rainy and cold here again, lost our spring already. Sad

Hope you car gets a look see today.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:59 pm

sorry for all the troubles with your mom's housing. I agree that all charges should be written out and explained. They will take advantage if you don't push them. My mom's apartment complex has been through more managers than I can count in the 25 years that she has lived there - and some (more than a few) have not been qualified for the task. If you have to contact the managers supervisor to get answers, do so.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:48 am

The move will occur this Sunday.  Both sons will help and hopefully all will be done by the end of the day.  To include hanging pictures, etc.  I am composing a letter to the people over the manager where mom lives in hopes of lowering the rent although she needs to sign the lease this week.  

Have a funeral to attend on Saturday a few hours away.  Hiker's younger brother passed.

Took the DGDog for a walk yesterday.  The road to my son's house is narrow and very muddy in spots and I have decided I'll not be driving over there until the rain stops.  I live on a dirt road too but do not have to travel as far to get to the main road.  We're talking slop on this road and the fear of car trouble and needing boots.  

The Moth was great last night, once again.  The theme was "mail".  Really thought that would be boring.  Once again the stories were all over the place.  A couple about death and suicide.  Prevention by a teacher who won the contest last evening.  Another about a letter a husband sent a wife about his suicide.  Yikes.  

Hoping to clean out my vehicle today.  The last cleaning did not last very long.  Difficult on a dirt road with a dirt driveway and no garage.  

Taking my friend to the lake this Friday.  Hope she enjoys herself.  She goes north with the group in the fall and can spend hours on the beach herself looking for pudding stones.  Hopefully she will find as much fun looking for beach glass, fossils, etc.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:29 pm

Hope all goes well about Mom’s rent. I could see the upfront money with maybe a slight increase, but taking it up as much as they are on top of the front money is rediculous.

Have fun at the beach this week.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:37 am

Hi Pam. Busy weekend ahead (then again you're always busy with all kinds of stuff  Smile ) so I hope you have lots of fun at the beach on Friday and that the rest goes well.

Good luck with that letter.
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:18 am

Thanks NM and LB.  

Friday's beach escapade was a success.  Explored new restaurants and did the whole beach thing.  I took her to Warren Dunes which is such an impressive dune area but there were no items of interest on that beach.  We did search the beach about the same amount of time and she really got the hang of it in the end.  It was nice teaching her how to "see" it.  By the end she was finding so much herself that I began to collect too.  She went home with a ton and talking about next time that she would drive.  Ha.  got another addict on my hands.  

Thought I was going to a funeral today but the person who offered to drive changed her mind after speaking with our friend.  I rather get the idea they want privacy vs. explaining such an early death.  If they feel they need to explain that is.  

So today is mine.....well, in reality it is always mine but you get it.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:37 am

An unexpected "free" day is always nice, enjoy it!
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:56 pm

Happy to hear the beach excursion was a success.

Nice to have that unexpected free time too. I hope you enjoy it.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:55 am

Yep, free day filled with things I like to do was nice. Estate sale. Raking/burning leaves.

Today is moving day. We are meeting at my next-door-neighbor son's house. I was going to ride with them but am offering up driving too so that I can stay if there are still things left to do... that being grocery store for mom and/or out to eat. That way they ccan have part of the day for their own work/duties around the house. I will be glad to get this over and done with.

The weather was simply perfect yesterday. Maybe 57F and sunny. Perfect for yard work. No bugs. Little wind. As much as I worked I am no where near done with the raking. Many flower beds remain covered but at least the curbside looks so much better.

Off soon. Cheers.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:15 am

Glad you had a great free day.

Hope all goes well with moving day.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:53 pm

Good luck with the move today.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:57 pm

The actual move took 3 hrs --- complete! 30 of the first minutes were me dealing with comcast/xfinity again. It is awful how they mess things up and stressful when the machine is also mom's phone which is needed for the life alert.

So happy the move is done. Now for hanging pictures. She agreed to not keeping the pans. They are gone.

The place was supposed to give her another cabinet vs stove but that did not occur.

It was nice working with my DSs. They poo-poohed me about moving the tv first thing as I needed to find out if the phone was working. Good thing they did as I requested.

She has more cupboard space and lower first shelves which is nice as she is short.

All is good....for a while.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:19 pm

Ah, that is that done, glad it seemed to have worked out pretty well.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:11 am

Yes Annie it worked out very well. Thanks.

I am trying to decide whether I WANT to run into mom's town to hang the pictures. She has not noticed yet the higher closet hanging equipment. I had trouble reaching it. We'll see if we can ask for it to be lowered. If not, I'll have to ask my son's to help with that behind the scenes.

I sure could spend even more time taking/burning today. I will probably do that and take the DGDog for a walk in the park. I may even take her to The Pines. This time of year may be a good time to take her once again. Last year once the poison ivy started reaching onto the path I stopped.

Considering jumping in for another primal start. Really need to.

perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 41 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30 ... 41  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum