Tiger Tales of 2019

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: Tiger Tales of 2019

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:42 am

Good luck with the informing Mom bit about Gma. It will help everyone involved. I know the care home for my folks has been a blessing.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnTiger on Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:46 am

Thanks, Pam.

Enjoyment isn't really quite the word.

Its lovely to see mum but hard coping with the hoarding. I have tidied one small corner in preparation for some furniture rearranging to help mum set up a crafting table.
I'm not really sure there is room for it, in the normal course of things, but it would help mum's health to have something to do so I'm trying to make it happen.
AutumnTiger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnTiger on Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:48 am

Bit of misunderstanding in how I worded the care home info.
The home is mum's choice for grandma. I meant that she hasn't been told officially, by the home people, that grandma has been assessed and accepted. I think she has heard it from the nurses at the hospital.
AutumnTiger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:09 am

Why is this a secret from your mum? If I have asked too much, feel free to ignore.

Does Gma live with mum?

Good on you for trying to get your mum a place to do something crafty. Nice of you and very thoughtful.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:51 am

I just read that you geocache. Fellow cacher, here! We love it! We're just above 1000 caches now.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:30 pm

I hope you get gma settled into her new place and everyone is happy with the arrangements.

I'm sorry that you are dealing with hoarding issues with you mum. That has to be really difficult. I hope the crafting area works out - maybe it will spark the desire to clean up and clean out some other areas. ???

I've always wanted to geocache - I'm actually hoping we can do some of that during our retirement travels.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:59 pm

tomi1000 wrote:

I've always wanted to geocache - I'm actually hoping we can do some of that during our retirement travels.  

It's great fun and it's relatively free. One thing I really like about it is that we have been to places and seen things we had no idea were there simply by following a bunch of coordinates. If you go to geocaching.com you can actually sign up for free. There are two levels of accounts - free, and paid. The free account will be just fine for someone starting out who just wants to try out the sport.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnTiger on Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:59 pm

Hi Pam. Sorry, I am not explaining myself very well. Mum is in charge of making the plans for my grandma. It is just that the people from the care home came to the hospital to do the assessment while my mum wasn't there, so they haven't "officially" told my mum that grandma has been offered a place there. So it is the nurses at the hospital who have told mum that they are expecting grandma to be transferred there tomorrow. It is just a lack of communication from the care home.
I hoe that is a little clearer.
AutumnTiger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnTiger on Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:12 pm

So, hopefully grandma will be transferred to the care home tomorrow. We are hoping it happens while we are still here, and then we can see her settled, run my mum around, etc.
There are no specific timings because g'ma will be transferred via a transport ambulance, and so the discharge ward order the ambulance for a rough time in the morning, but then it depends on any emergency calls. Not full-on emergency calls, I don't think it is that kind of ambulance, but they might get more urgent calls than just a shuttle bus for patients.

Typically, mum has a doctor's appointment of her own in the morning that she needs to keep. So, DH and I will be up to the hospital in the morning so that if the transportation comes through before mum can get to the hospital then I can go with her. I hope it doesn't come to that, but it would be Murphy's law.

Looking forward to the future, there may be one further fly in the ointment. We are not yet sure if this is a permanent placement for g'ma or whether it is considered a period of respite care.
In our minds it is beyond doubt that grandma can no longer reside in her own home, but apparently there has been talk about considering adaptations to her house, such as a bed downstairs and a commode. No-one is even considering that mum lives there, too, and would be back under the mental strain of someone who repeats themselves every five minutes. It cannot happen, and I will raise merry hell if they try it. I'm very much hoping we do not end up in a fight over this. Fingers crossed.
AutumnTiger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnTiger on Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:33 pm

All in all not a bad day.

We breakfasted well, bacon, sausages and hash for me, and lots of coffee, then moseyed on down to mum's. Did a bit of catching up, then started tackling the area for the rearranging.

The lounge has a three seater sofa and two armchairs in it, but the way the chairs are positioned, no-one really uses the sofa. So, the idea was to move the sofa back to its original location in the front room (kind of like a second lounge or parlour that has always been kept for "best"). The front room is now overloaded with an extra sofa, but it has allowed us to move a drop-leaf dining table into the place of the sofa, with enough room to open both sides, for mum to use as a crafting table.

Some minor cleaning and a bit of recycling was able to be done at the same time. WE split this move between before and after the hospital visit.

Before going to the hospital we shopped around for a new dressing gown for g'ma, which meant two different locations before being successful. In one of the locations I also picked up some new towels for mum, which were a belated Christmas present, as I have noticed over my last few visits that hers are incredibly threadbare. Its a bit practical for a gift, but some gifts have no space and go unused - like the steamer I bought her, and there is certainly no room for anything unnecessary.

We then went out and had a nice dinner - burger for me, DH had carvery and mum had gammon. Good days eats wise for me, except any cooking oil as I did have fries, and I also had a beer with dinner.

As mentioned, finished the sofa move when we got back, which involved having to lift it to get it over a unit (which sticks out more at the bottom - like a Welsh dresser, but it isn't). By this stage I was already at a surprising 7,000 steps. We then took the dog for a walk, thereby finished up to the 10,000 steps. We went round some places from my childhood, walking down to the land between the back of my old school playing field and the canal, which is much more landscaped than when I used to play and ride my bike there. Then while looking for a pokestop, we went down to the nearby railway station, and then a sort detour to my old childhood church and sunday school/brownies building. Couldn't see the details of the church clearly in the dark, and we couldn't get on to the grounds, but it was nice to stop by.

So now DH and I are back at the hotel, we've just had a little drink, and I guess it is time for reading before lights out now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Geocaching - what is your caching name Ontario? I cache under AutumnTiger, and you will see that I am not very active these days. DH and I actually met as geocachers, and while geocaching weddings are pretty common these days, I reckon we were in the early crew, although we met in 2006 and, through circumstances, didn't marry until 2012.
We have definitely seen some fab places through geocaching. Most especially when we went to Australia in 2008. We were still very into it at that time, and built an entire three week campervan roadtrip around caching (and the Melbourne Grand Prix!).
These day we are much more choosy about caches because there are sooooo many of them, not all particularly worthy, and I get bored if we do more than a dozen or so at once, not to mention all the logging. But we do still like cache meets, and we like to pick up caches away from home, so for example we did half a dozen or so in Belgium last year. But we rarely plan caching days out any more.
There are a couple of new series' have sprung up in the UK - Village Signs and Village Halls, and we have said they would be good in the summer for taking the little car out - I hope we get to it.
You'll have to let me know when you get to the 1,000 - very exciting.
AutumnTiger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:15 pm

Sounds like you had a pretty good day today. Hopefully, they will definitely keep gma. They probably have a test there, like here. Once they tested my Dad, they new he needed memory care that could not really be provided well for at home.

Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnTiger Yesterday at 5:04 am

Very broken sleep again - 4h then awake for 90m, then another couple of hours.
I'm functional because I have to be. DH is dragging, too. A worry with a long drive ahead later.

We're up, showered, fed and watered and about to head to the hospital
AutumnTiger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnTiger Yesterday at 7:53 am

Grandma is being dressed and moved in to the discharge lounge. We are being edged out of the door, in the nicest possible way, and her bed is needed.
We are awaiting delivery of a prescription and then the transport will be called.

Latest mini drama is that mum has been expected to find the care home costs up front as we are not sure whether g'mas financial status means the state will pay.

~~~~~~~~
In related news I have managed to get a copy of the prescriptions mum is taking. All helps towards the time in the future when I might need to know such things and the changes over time. It is something that I have picked up on as a common theme here.
AutumnTiger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded Yesterday at 8:24 am

AT you can never be too prepared with the folks. Knowing important info is a must, even if not needed at the moment.

Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnTiger Yesterday at 9:02 am

Interesting personal observation: mum was just asking what DH and I were doing about food. I replied that we would likely sort ourselves out on rhe way home.
A few minutes later she said that she was going to go get herself a sandwich. It really hadn't occurred to me that she was asking because it was the usual time for lunch.
Even though we have been tracking the time, it wasn't registering as food time.
Its nice to realise that even though some eating habits have strayed, I can still listen to my body rather than the clock.
AutumnTiger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move Yesterday at 1:40 pm

Nice win there!  Those eating by the clock habits can be hard to break.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnTiger Yesterday at 2:13 pm

About two thirds of the way home.

It was tough to leave. G'ma was somewhat disgruntled, and mum came away with us. Mum was on the verge of tears as we said goodbye. Hopefully, it is just release and she can cry it out of her system - its been a tough couple of days.
AutumnTiger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 Yesterday at 3:10 pm

So sorry - these things are hard on everyone. I hope the transition isn't too difficult for g-ma - or your mum.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnTiger Yesterday at 4:27 pm

Home safe and sound. Unpacked and mostly tidied away. Have checked in with mum.
A little bit tired but wired, but it is early enough that hopefully I can wind down with my book.
Our house seems to have weathered two days in B's care with only very minor blips all things considered.

Time for some R&R. Thank you all for your support during this little journey; it has helped a lot knowing the Tribe was with me.
AutumnTiger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded Yesterday at 6:30 pm

Happy to hear you are safely home.

Hugs to Mom and Gma as they both adjust.

Yes, definitely nice to be able to be “out and about” at a mealtime and not even think much about it. That is so freeing.

Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam Today at 7:52 am

Happy that gma is now in a place that will take care of her and keep her safe. Difficult as it may be for her and your mum.

Glad you returned home to a relatively intact place. I have to admit I came home early once to a disturbing scene. You know that sneaky thing where I do not actually give them a time/day I will be coming back. I guess it worked because I saw what they were up to and it never happened again....but it is not a foolproof way to handle things.

And, yes, learning hunger signals happens fairly quickly when eating primally. I can go for hours if I need to.

perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnTiger Today at 1:21 pm

Poor sleep again *sigh* - I was hoping for better in my own bed and with DH back. Different pattern of waking last night though. I slept for about 90 minutes between 11pm and 12:30am then was awake for a couple of hours. No details were logged during this phase. Then slept for 4h 10m between 02:23 and 07:15, including 23 mins of deep sleep.
I have coped with work, i.e. no real brain fog, but I am really hungry. I had been hoping for a Fast 800 kind of day today, but no chance on poor sleep. I'm rolling with it. Healthy food so far, just more of it than I hoped.

The day started well as I got myself to the shop, before work, for some bottled water and some extra protein. The water here is very potable but I found that the mineral balance gives me cramp so I drink bottled water. I also got a washload in.
Did okay for concentration this morning, but took longer over lunch than I would be allowed if I was still in the office, as I was cooking some savoury mince, had lunch with a TV show - the weather was awful, no walk - and then hung the washing to dry.

Productivity this afternoon wasn't bad, but I did have a little meander on the web after looking up something purposeful.

DH has booked our flights for the summer holiday - early June. I can't wait. We'll book the hotel tomorrow. We need to do some money juggling as we are paying in Euros not Pounds and we have a new card that is being used for the first time.

Haven't spoken to mum yet, a task for after dinner.

Am trying to find new routines for my evenings. I have become a couch potato and am letting my brain atrophy!

Spanish via Duolingo will be back on the agenda now we are decided on holidays (rather than more Dutch. I'd love to do both but that would be confusing and pushing myself too far probably).

I am also setting myself a goal of doing frequent work on the Eternity II puzzle. Some would say this is a useless exercise now that the prize money timeline has expired (long since) and given the stats against finding the solution, particularly by hand - it was intended to be a maths/programming challenge (mostly) - but it draws me, and even regular jigsaws are just entertainment, so why not. There is an answer. Maybe I'll find it before I quit this mortal coil. Very Happy

Despite the above, overall I am trying to simplify my life, or perhaps re-commit/re-connect in a more organised way to some things that I always feel regretful that I want to be more informed about but somehow don't have time. Anyway, herein is making a start!
AutumnTiger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2