FrogPad Refocuses

Go down

FrogPad Refocuses

Post by FrogPad on Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:45 am

Just a bit about where I’m at now. I’m a 56 year old woman living in the Seattle Washington area. My husband and I are almost empty nesters, our youngest son lives at home and in his final year of college.

I was diagnosed with high blood pressure a bit over 2 years ago. I’m on medication for this. It was discouraging to be diagnosed with this since I know that I should have been able to prevent it. I know my blood pressure will improve with diet and exercise changes. One goal is to get this under control and off the medication.

I knew I needed to make diet and lifestyle changes to get back on track with losing weight and living healthier. In September I made the decision to start following a low carb primal eating plan again. I decided I didn’t want to track eating since it starts feeling pretty obsessive. I cook low carb for our family, my husband and son add carbs as they want. Looking back my carbs were probably higher than I realized, but I definitely saw improvements in weight and how I was feeling.

I decided to reread The Primal Blueprint and also got The Obesity Code by Dr Jason Fung. The Obesity Code made so much sense to me. I had previously done intermittent fasting with primal, it seemed to work well for me. I decided to read The Diabetes Code by Dr Fung, there was a lot of reading I was doing that concerned me. It seemed that some health issues I was having were not related to age and blood pressure like I’d been assuming.

A doctor appointment in November showed a high blood glucose reading of 155, an a1c test was ordered. My doctor said as long as it wasn’t a super high number she would give me time to continue losing weight and making lifestyle changes to improve things. Well that test came back at 8.7 and I was diagnosed with diabetes. My doctor met with me and wanted to immediately put me on medication. I told her I wanted to continue making lifestyle changes to get this under control. I go back in the end of February to get my a1c checked again. I know if the number is not close to the range they want she will push the medication again.

The next day I started a ketogenic diet, I knew I had a limited amount of time to show my doctor I can improve this with lifestyle changes. I also decided I’ll track eating for the time being, I don’t know how long I’ll do that. I track net carbs and protein. I’ve been trying to reduce protein to meet some of the recommendations I’ve seen. A big reason for this is information I’ve read that excess protein can raise insulin levels.

I also fast. I try and switch things around with fasting so that my body doesn’t get used to a specific pattern. It’s a combination of 18-46 hour fasts throughout the week. Family takes priority over the fasting and I make sure I fit it around what we have going on. For example last night we got the chance to see our older son who had been at his fiancés for Christmas, I stopped a fast I was in the middle of. I can fast any day, I know I don’t get to spend time with my son as frequently as I wish.

I’ve seen improvements with the changes I’ve made. I’ve lost 39 lbs total since September and 13 lbs since my doctor appointment in November.

My primary goal is to get my blood glucose readings and a1c within the ranges the doctor wants. I’m determined to make the changes I need to. The diabetes diagnosis has really scared me. If it means I need to track carbs or do fasting to reach my goals I’m fine with that.

FrogPad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: FrogPad Refocuses

Post by Rig D on Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:12 am

Welcome to the team, FrogPad. I am one of the oldest here at 71, and I too have high BP and am on medication for that.My wife and I try to maintain a primal diet. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to have much effect on my BP. My wife is Type 2 diabetic and has seen good success in reducing her meds, but hasn't eliminated them altogether.

I welcome you to the group that is going to refocus on Primal in an effort to improve health and reduce weight. The more the merrier. I also encourage you to drag your husband along if possible, that makes the whole journey much easier.

Rig D
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:47 am

Welcome FrogPad. I recently was diagnosed with high BP and have some weight I intend to lose to help lower it. I had decided to start Primal again the first of the year. There are a number of us here recommitting too.

I have a friend I just saw at Christmas. He went low carbs and has lost 30 lbs. So much that it was weird seeing my friend at almost his high school weight again. We are all close age-wise. He is probably 69 but I am 71 now like Rig D. My friend monitors his BP and it has lowered to 100!. While weight loss was not his reason, it was a high a1c and the threat of diabetes. He has not been back to the dr. yet. I cannot wait to hear his new results but do not know when he will find out.

Regardless, good for you and welcome.
perennialpam
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:26 pm

Welcome, FrogPad! Smile cute name!
tomi1000
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FrogPad on Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:38 pm

Thank you Rig and Perennial. My husband is trying to do low carb, he at times reverts back to low fat approaches. It is a big help that he is trying though. He has some health situations that will benefit by making changes. He has high blood pressure, psoriatic arthritis, skin cancer and neuropathy.

Perennial it sounds like your friend is making great progress. I hope the lab results reflect that for him.

Hi Tomi. It’s a name that started when my sons were young and we were playing a video game, I’ve been using it a long time.

Thank you for your input and the welcome. I definitely plan on participating in the refocus on primal.

FrogPad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:49 pm

Welcome! It sounds like you have a lot of good reasons to refocus on what you eat. Doctors can be so quick to pull out the RX pad, but if you can turn it around with diet, that is surely the healthier way to go.

Sent from Topic'it App
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:55 pm

Welcome! Wow, reading your story I have to say that you certainly have refocused back on Primal! Good for you! You've had great success this time around.

It is nice to have another tribe member.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:17 pm

Welcome, FrogPad. I am glad you started a journal. It is a great way to hold yourself accountable, track what you are doing so you can look back if things stall, get advice, and most importantly get encouragement.
Pedidoc
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:36 am

Hi Frogpad, great to have you on board. Here's to your healthy success.
Annieh
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:08 pm

Welcome Frogpad. While I never officially had high BP, I can tell you that between cleaning up my eating and getting in 10000 steps a day, I lowered my BP to my teenage days. I am also 56.

My Mother is officially DX with type 2 and was on insulin for several years. A low carb diet got her off of all of her diabetes meds

We are happy to have you hear with us
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:10 am

Welcome Frogpad! Would love to hear the story behind your name. Smile
The Walrus
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:07 am

Hi FrogPad, great moniker!

I'm sure with your diet and determination you can help improve those numbers. My mom was diagnosed with high BP and am trying my best to get it lowered. I do not want her on meds at 89yo.
There is a lot of research on magnesium, potassium that can help push the numbers down. I, also, give her nattokinase and garlic tabs. Hopefully I will see positive results in a few months.
Welcome to the forum!
Heuristicfireflower
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FrogPad on Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:02 am

We had a delayed Christmas yesterday with my older son and his fiancé. I kept the menu simple but still made a cheesecake for dessert. I did add a bit of sugar to it, my test of making one with zero sugar and sweeteners wasn’t successful. Everyone seemed to like it, I think I could use even a lower amount of sugar.

Growing up my grandmother always made fudge at Christmas. This was a tradition I continued. I made some this year to take to some family gatherings. I had one piece on Christmas Day and another piece yesterday. I can’t believe how much I dislike it, just way too sweet. It shows how much my tastes have changed as I’ve reduced sugars. I don’t think I’ll bother making it in the future, it’s time to figure out a new tradition.

Thanks again everyone for the welcome and comments. I know I need to continue figuring out what changes I need to make and am looking forward to taking the time to do that. One change I need to figure out is how to get rid of leg cramps, I wake up a lot with leg cramps during the night. My BP medication made this even worse. It improved for about a month or so as I improved my eating, but now it’s back. I’ve read about magnesium helping with this, I need to research which one to take. I don’t want anything that will create digestive changes.

FrogPad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:14 pm

Magnesium may be worth a try, my dd is a busy dancer whose body sometimes won't relax and we found she sleeps a lot better when she is taking it.
Annieh
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:32 am

If you are worried about intestinal issues with Magnesium, try a Magnesium lotion. You can rub it on your legs and feet before you go to bed.
Pedidoc
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FrogPad on Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:55 am

Thank you for the information Annieh and Pedidoc, I’ll try and find a magnesium lotion. I’ve seen so many references of people using magnesium to get things moving, I don’t need help with that. I tend to avoid or limit certain foods because they cause digestive issues for me.

FrogPad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:24 am

There is also a magnesium oil (spray). I do find it feeling oily at first. I am not a fan. But that could be because I would apply it right before bed and the "feel".
perennialpam
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:40 am

If you look on the net, there is a way to make magnesium spray with Epsom salts. My GF did it when I was there in June, but forget the site. Could be wellness mama.

Good luck
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FrogPad on Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:09 pm

Thank you Narrowminded, I’ll check out her site.

FrogPad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:16 pm

Your experience with fudge reminds me of mine with standard candy bars and milk chocolate. Just disgusting! Can’t believe I used to love those.
The Walrus
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FrogPad on Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:06 am

I need to make updates here ore often, something else to turn into a habit.

My husband has decided to try and do low carb again. He has done it for periods of time before, I’m hoping he feels like it’s something he can stick with this time. It definitely makes it easier when he is onboard.

I’ve been good about following my eating and fasting plan. It is a bit of a challenge to keep my protein intake low. I think I’ve calculated it correctly, I should probably look at that again. Though I think I’m saying I need to recalculate just because I don’t want to not be able to have something I’m wishing I could eat. Fasting is going well, I didn’t have too hard of a time getting on track with that after the holidays. I’m trying to be a bit more mindful about not eating beyond satiety, that’s definitely going to take work.

This morning I had the lowest blood glucose reading since I’ve started testing. It was 117!!! This is a 4am reading. Our day starts at that time and normally it’s higher due to the dawn phenomenon. Plus this wasn’t even during a fast.

FrogPad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:44 am

Glad your husband is coming on board. It does make things a lot easier when both are doing it. Good on the glucose
Rig D
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:44 pm

FrogPad wrote:One change I need to figure out is how to get rid of leg cramps, I wake up a lot with leg cramps during the night. My BP medication made this even worse.  It improved for about a month or so as I improved my eating, but now it’s back.  I’ve read about magnesium helping with this, I need to research which one to take.  I don’t want anything that will create digestive changes.

I had this happening a lot about a year ago. I, too, started using magnesium daily (instead of whenever I remembered to take it Wink ) and also did leg stretches before bed. The problem resolved itself.

I hear you on the sugar front - I also can no longer tolerate the really sweet stuff.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnTiger on Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:49 pm

Just saying hi. Thanks for stopping by my journal, too.
Its great to read of your original and latest successes. Sorry about the diagnosis, but it sounds like you should achieve your goal to stay off meds with your great determination.

I think Dr Mosley's Fast 800 aligns very well with what you are doing now. He has a great no nonsense but sensible approach

Several of the primal books have protein levels recommendations, keto reset says 0.7g per pound of lean mass.

Looking forward to hearing how you get on
AutumnTiger
AutumnTiger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum