Still on the Move - part 2

Page 1 of 26 1, 2, 3 ... 13 ... 26  Next

Go down

Still on the Move - part 2 Empty Still on the Move - part 2

Post by Meant2Move on Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:29 pm

“This year, instead of only resolving to exercise, recognize that throughout each day are opportunities to move in small but frequent amounts that add up to decreased sedentarism overall.”  _Katy Bowman
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Still on the Move - part 2 Empty Re: Still on the Move - part 2

Post by Meant2Move on Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:34 pm

I thought I should start off my new journal with a quote from a favorite author, Katy Bowman. I appreciate her focus on healthy, whole body movement. The notion that while that hour of exercise one might do is good, we should clearly recognize that our bodies were designed and are at their best when we are engaged in healthy movement for the other hours of the day that we are awake. 

As someone who spends her work days on a computer, I get what a challenge that is!  Move when you can, use good posture when you can't!
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:42 pm

Quick little gym workout as I had a scheduled PT session this morning. My gym recently added a non-motorized treadmill that has resistance settings but is powered by the user. I like it a lot for a treadmill.  

PT was good, he found a spot that absolutely triggered the nerve pain and then as he continued to hold it, the pain diminished and then went away.  I am very much in the "try all options" phase of this issue.  Can't decide if the crazy itching, particularly in my hands and feet, is due to eating wheat on a far too regular basis or due to the gabapentin I'm taking in hopes it will calm the nerve down.  Just another reason to get my diet back on track sooner rather than later.  As I've noted before, I'm not going to get super strict until after New Year's, but I'm thinking I'm going to start reducing now. Just because my spouse is eating it, I don't need to! 

Beautiful day out, so I'm going to slip outside for a walk around campus shortly. Considering giving my new Altra running shoes a try to see how they feel. I usually just go in whatever shoes I'm wearing for the day, but I am certain I am keeping those shoes so there isn't any reason I can't try them out to see how they feel. Still undecided about the Hoka's..
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:20 pm

M2M - sounds like a very positive PT visit. The spot the PT held, can you reach it and do it yourself when you get a flare?

Happy to hear you and T had a good gym date and he is testing himself with the climbing. That has to make him so very happy.

How’d the run go?
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:18 pm

Not sure I can hit the spot, NM, but T surely can. 
Wednesday's excursion on campus was good, I didn't bother to switch shoes as when I finally escaped I just had to get out of the office quick!  

I didn't fare well today at all. 3 interviews and a bunch of things that need doing before the holiday break. I popped out for about 20 minutes and then that was it - talk, meetings, getting stuff done. It's after 8 pm and I'm finally ready to leave the office...

My back is still grumpy, dangit! I finally resorted to drugs to get through the afternoon.
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:03 pm

Sounds like too much to me. Used to work EMU and it is tough to get ready for the breaks and/or to make things better for when you return. Feel for you.

That stress doesn't help the back issue either. I hope things turn around in the department for you. At least you seem to have something to help with it.

perennialpam
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:41 am

Glad that T will be able to help you for the pain.

So sorry the day was a rough one. And yes, stress really can affect the back. It did for me the month leading up to DH’s passing.

Hopefully you can really relax over the Christmas break.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:12 pm

Well, I think I have dealt with what must be done and the rest will have to wait until January. There are some things I wish I had gotten done, but one can't count on others to cooperate with my timelines, or other higher priority items popped up instead. It will work out. 

Got in a nice walk to WF and stopped at Eddie Bauer to return an early Xmas purchase that I replaced with something else.  Guac and pork shoulder roast purchased.  Resisted cookie buying urges. 

Current plan is to do the long hike - 25-30 miles tomorrow (Saturday). Assuming all goes well, I'll sign up for Across the Years and make a hotel reservation.  If it doesn't go well, I guess we'll be staying home for New Year's. I would really like to do the event, not only for myself, but 1) because it would be good for me to let T help me at something like that (I tend to be too independent), and 2) he would benefit from and enjoy such a social outing. So, here's hoping!

I've decided I'll be sending the Hoka's back, I'll make do with the shoes I've got, but I will be keeping the Altras as new trail shoes. 

Not much other news. I don't expect to be back in the office until maybe January 3rd, and am considering that a flexible date. 

Not sure how much I'll be online so I'll wish those who celebrate a Merry Christmas! Given that I fall very much on the pagan side of things, I hope Santa is kind to you.
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:13 am

Hope you can work out the ATY details and get 'er done.

Given that I fall very much on the pagan side of things, I hope Santa is kind to you.

I appreciate that you are still making the distinction. Way too many in today's PC society seem convinced that Santa is in fact a Christian symbol and he was right there at the manger with that other iconic character "Round John Virgin"
Rig D
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:23 am

Merry Christmas M2M. I’m hoping you do the ATY and you both can get much out of it.

Enjoy the break with T and relax a bit.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:24 am

Narrowminded wrote:Merry Christmas  M2M.  I’m hoping you do the ATY and you both can get much out of it.

Enjoy the break with T and relax a bit.

+1
Lovebird
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:02 pm

Merry Christmas to you and T! Can’t wait to hear about your holiday!
The Walrus
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:40 am

Merry Christmas all!
We got germs for Christmas it seems. T is nasty sick and I fear I am only a couple of days behind him. I am still working to fight it off!!
My test walk last Saturday went so well. 25 miles and I felt good when finished. A fun adventure too. I love exploring around with only a vague notion of whether the dirt road I am on actually goes where I hope it does. No backtracking required all day so that was a success. Lots of roads I would have liked to take because they appeared to climb cinder cones, but I stuck to the flatter tracks.
Never saw anyone else all day... Well there was a helicopter off in the distance once, does that count?
I was pleased and registered for the race on Sunday. Then T tells me he is sick. Argh!!!
Am in wait and see mode now. No refunds, but I might be able to defer to next year. Will see what the next 2 days bring.
Stay well!

Sent from Topic'it App
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:13 pm

Here’s hoping you don’t get the nasty’s and can still do your walk.
You’ve got a few days.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:53 pm

Hope T doesn't share the germs.
Pedidoc
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:51 pm

Too late, I am sick. Rats!!!

Sent from Topic'it App
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:17 am

Sorry to hear you are both ill. Darn.

perennialpam
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:51 am

Hoping for quick healing.
Pedidoc
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:24 am

You and T must have been on the naughty list for Santa to bring a present of germs for Christmas.

Hoping you both recover quickly
Rig D
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:56 am

Praying for a quick recovery for you both.

Narrowminded
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:00 pm

Perhaps, Rig.
Not sure it is true but we are blaming our last visit to the climbing gym. Honestly, it is a bit of a relief to be sick at the same time, less drawn out I hope.
Brief town excursion Wednesday for a hot shower and cold medicine, especially cough syrup.
Lots of resting otherwise. I cancelled my hotel reservation for Phoenix today and sent a note to the race director in hopes I can move my race registration to next year... Very bummed about that.
Stay well!

Sent from Topic'it App
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:49 pm

To paraphrase a song..."the snow is calling yoo-hoo" It looks fresh and lovely outside, but cold, with temps in the teens. And while I feel some better, not good enough to be outside the cold.
I noticed that my watch put me in "the fat burning zone" several times- always when I felt worst. I didn't take my temperature, but likely small fever spikes. T has gone to 101 a few times, his normal reaction to any bug is to spike a fever. I usually don't.

Spent some time catching up on Goodreads my books for the year. Two favs were sort of drug related, but also about personal growth. "How to Change Your Mind" by Michael Pollan was a delight. I so enjoy his writing. As a science-based secular person, I found his desire to have a spiritual experience interesting.
The second book, "A Really Good Day" by Ayelet Waldman was a story I could relate to on many levels despite not having kids. I am soo happy to be past the mood swings of PMS/PMDD, but I fully understand her desire to try just about anything. Also the information about drug law history, research, and other information is fascinating.
Other non-fiction favs for the year were:
The Better Brain Solution by Steven Masley
Undoctored by William Davis
The Upside of Stress by Kelly McGonigal
The Year of Less by Cait Flanders
Honorable mention to The Diabetes Code by Jason Fung, but thought The Obesity Code was better.

Brain candy books - too numerous to mention!

Sent from Topic'it App
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:53 pm

Obviously spending lots of time browsing... Outside Online is posting lots of survival stories. Makes me want to get out for an adventure. Admittance to the Grand Canyon is free during this stupid gov't shutdown. Would love to go do a hike.
Note to self, get better soon!

Sent from Topic'it App
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:36 pm

I hope you get over this bug soon! So sorry about the PMS/PMDD! As you are doing your research and study on various topics, let me suggest you look into the study of the gut microbiome and how it can effect your PMS/PMDD. Of course - right now I'm all about what is going on with the study of the gut microbes. Wink
tomi1000
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:21 pm

Thanks for the thought, Tomi. Happily I am well past that now as I went through menopause several years ago. I was simply noting how I felt prior to that. I did find improving gut health was a crucial component, along with eliminating wheat.

Sent from Topic'it App
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 26 1, 2, 3 ... 13 ... 26  Next