Re: The Walrus Part 2

Post by The Walrus on Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:31 pm

Just like here!
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:10 pm

I forgot to post the results of my yearly exam/labs - completely normal. I would say Dead Normal except that I am very much alive, so I guess I'll say Alive Normal. Being Unremarkable medically is very good.
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:41 am

We are in the 30's (F). But sunny, 'tis a welcome change
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:15 am

The Walrus wrote:  Being Unremarkable medically is very good.

Laughing Yes, I have always thought the word "unremarkable" to be very odd in medical language. Why can't they just say, "all's good here!". LOL!

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:37 pm

In the 30’s here too! But Celsius! (In the 90’s). Very dry, however.
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnTiger on Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:27 pm

Merry Christmas,Walrus.
Hope you have a lovely day!
AutumnTiger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:54 pm

Merry Christmas, TW.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:55 pm

Merry Christmas TW
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:07 pm

Thank you all! I imagine everyone is enjoying the day and perhaps breathing a sigh of relief that Christmas is over. We had a very nice day, went to church in the morning and had Christmas lunch at a good friend's house. As it was around 30C, we had gazpacho, a green salad with chicken, and berries for dessert. It was lovely and lots of good conversation made everything better. We played a trivia game and to my surprise I won. I never win games! I don't know how I did that as many questions were Australian, about cricket and politics with which I am completely unfamiliar. Then we went for a long walk, and finally met with our second housesitting family, learned about caring for their dog and home, had bratwurst and sweet potatoes for dinner, and collapsed into bed. Despite being tired I didn't sleep very well, and not enough. I am only getting around 6 hours a night - staying up too late and then my sleep cycle is off.

6h 11m
Awake 41min
REM 25% 1h 41m
Light 59% 4h 3m
Deep 27m

Will do better this week

Also went running this morning. My running has suffered greatly with all of the hooha of moving and holiday. Felt really good though. I have a new app that I like very much by Jeff Galloway. It's called Easy 5K and incorporates walking into the running to avoid fatigue and injuries. Also makes it fun!

The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:49 am

Sounds l like a wonderful day TW.

Happy to hear about the new app. Many people swear by Galloway’s walking breaks in their running. Happy to you could get out and do some.

Did you also notice that the Versa now has a C25K app for it now? Was thinking about putting it on my watch.

Have a wonderful day
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:33 am

I did not know that! I’ll check it out. I am, of course, still working with Chirunning/walking techniques. So I’m combining Galloway and Chi. Makes me happy Smile
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:16 pm

Nice that you can combine the two. Sounds really interesting.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:14 pm

Got in a run this morning and then went over to a friend's house to do DIY. Both went very well! Now I am sheltering indoors because it is 40C outside! That's roughly 104F for U.S. folks.
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:18 am

Today is much cooler, but the big news is that Lucy injured herself this morning.  Dream was walking her, they went by a field full of rabbits, and she tried to go through a barbed wire fence and tore a hole in her side.   The vet had to anesthetise her, widen the tear, clean it thoroughly, check for penetration into the abdominal wall, etc.   She has a huge incision and a drain.  Still very sleepy luckily, she is dozing on her bed next to me.  We are taking it in turns to keep her quiet this afternoon and also keep her from licking.  She has a neck cone but we hope to avoid that as much as possible.  I would post a photo but it is quite gruesome.  I have painkillers and antibiotics for her.

I am quite concerned because this is the second injury requiring vet care in a very short time.  And this one was potentially very serious.  Had the puncture gone through into her abdomen - and it was very close - the consequences could have been severe.  I simply must be more forceful in my discussions with Dream about what is appropriate for her in terms of exercise freedom.  She simply has no sense of danger when she sees or senses prey.  Starri, on the other hand, is not only shockingly agile and lightning fast but seems to have a sixth sense regarding safety.  (I do not, of course, count on this - I am very careful when choosing venues for him to run.).

On another subject, we have spent the last two morning
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:50 am

. . . what have you spent the last two mornings doing? Smile

Lucy's injuries sound awful. Good luck with keeping her calm.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:34 am

Hoping you did not stop mid-sentence because Lucy had an issue.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:34 am

So sorry to learn of Lucy's injury. I hope she heals quickly.

Sent from Topic'it App
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:32 pm

Poor Lucy! That must be quite unsettling for all of you. I sure hope she heals quickly. Seeing a dog hurt just breaks my heart.

Now, I am with the others......what did you spend the rest of the morning doing?! LOL!

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:57 pm

Sorry! The forum froze on me and I had no time to try any remedies. Nothing exciting though - helping friends with DIY renovation!
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:21 pm

So - Lucy had an uncomfortable night but her wound looks good this morning, no swelling, a little bruising and discharge as expected. She has not licked excessively or pulled out the drains. Good dog!

Last night, in an effort to use up a lot of fruit and veg, we had an enormous green salad with salmon and a monstrous bowl of strawberries, mangoes, and white peaches. Delicious. Summer in Australia!
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:39 am

The Walrus wrote:I forgot to post the results of my yearly exam/labs - completely normal.  I would say Dead Normal except that I am very much alive, so I guess I'll say Alive Normal.  Being Unremarkable medically is very good.

Yes!  Unremarkable and unexciting are 2 words I very much appreciate these days in terms of health and home. Congrats on a great check-up.

Your pup's wound sound ghastly!  But, critters have an incredible capacity to heal, better than humans I think.   Hope her healing also proves uneventful.
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:17 am

So very sorry about Lucy. Poor thing is used to running on a very safe track, I’m sure she has not sense that anything will harm her. Praying for quick and uneventful healing for her.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:21 pm

Hope is a great tool when it comes to forming new habits and letting go of older, obsolete habits. Hope opens the door to possibility and allows us to envision change, particularly change that we desire.

—Andrew Mellen, “

Happy New Year!
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:30 pm

Lucy is doing well, she is even lying on the bad side occasionally, so I hope she is not in pain. I’m still giving her an analgesic/anti inflammatory. Tomorrow the drains come out, which will be a relief for us all. The wound is healing well.

We’re in our second week of housesitting. It’s been interesting to live in other people’s houses, using their kitchens, etc. I am a bit tired of the Dalmation we’re sitting for - she is nice enough dog but very boisterous. Greyhounds spoil you for other dogs. They’re so low key. And of course the kitties are super low key, a more delightful every day as they have become used to me and come running in hopes of canned food.

Food is good, a bit carby but good. Steps - loads! I’m walking and walking and walking - have worn out two pairs of sandals and two pairs of shoes,
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:26 pm

And suddenly you know: It's time to start something new and trust the magic of beginnings.

MEISTER ECKHART
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next