Primal Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Smoothies!

+2
breadsauce
RedComet
6 posters

Go down

Smoothies! Empty Smoothies!

Post by RedComet Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:26 pm

Does anyone else do paleo smoothies? I just picked up a VitaMix and I'm in love. Although the primalness/paleoness of smoothies can be debated, I find it's a really convenient way to consume more veggies.

Today I made a smoothie containing:

Avocado
Celery
Kale
Wild Blueberries
Fresh ginger

It was delicious and kept me filled up for a good while. It also helped me to up my overall veggie intake for the day pretty substantially.

Anyone else do smoothies? What are your favorite ingredients?

RedComet

Back to top Go down

Smoothies! Empty Re: Smoothies!

Post by breadsauce Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:09 pm

I keep planning to make smoothies but somehow haven't yet got round to doing it!

breadsauce

Back to top Go down

Post by RedComet Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:25 pm

Just enjoyed an ice cold smoothie! Kale, Broccoli sprouts, Ginger, Blueberries, Celery and Avocado. Very filling.

RedComet

Back to top Go down

Post by Glass Full of Air Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:44 pm

Sometimes I do a smoothie instead of a breakfast. Spinach, berries, greek yogurt. I'd like to get a bit more creative with it, but right now I'm focusing on eating more veggies in general, not sure what else I'd want to put in a smoothie.

Glass Full of Air

Back to top Go down

Post by OnTheBayou Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:37 pm

Until some paleontologist finds a blender in some cave, I refuse to think this smoothie culture is good. "What do you put in your smoothie?" What, this is like a mandatory bowel movement or something? I have to have a smoothie? Why in the name of Grok would anyone want to throw a bolus of pre-masticatedd food into one's stomach to circumvent the millions of years of evolution as to how to digest food?

I do make protein "shakes" with whey, it's the only "whey" to ramp the protein up without the fats, etc. of meat. But by no means do I think it optimal.

Eat your veggies. Don't drink them.

OnTheBayou

Back to top Go down

Post by breadsauce Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:00 am

I have a lot of my veg in the form of soup - and I'm pretty sure that this has been a traditional way of eating veg for millennia. Lots of lovely bone broth and tough veg softened in it by heating, to circumvent all that chewing - surely a smoothie is just an uncooked soup? (minus the lovely bone broth of course!)

breadsauce

Back to top Go down

Post by RedComet Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:08 pm

I don't believe that getting my vegetables in smoothie form is 100% optimal. I agree with OTB's sentiment that it's unnatural. However, as things stand, smoothies are a really convenient way for me to consume a fair bit of plant matter that my picky or time-crunched self wouldn't ordinarily consume. As such, I think smoothies are a net positive for me. I don't particularly enjoy a lot of vegetables, but drinking them quickly in smoothie (or soup form, as breadsauce mentioned!) makes it easier for me. I still eat veggies at meal time, but the smoothies help me to cover my nutritional bases.

Plus, right now that I'm getting back into eating a strict whole-food diet, smoothies have been especially helpful for me. I find I don't feel like driving to the McDonald's drive-thru for a McMuffin when I've got a big smoothie in the tank! I can prep or freeze a lot of the ingredients in advance and simply throw them in the blender for breakfast. I'm a big proponent of doing whatever helps you stick to a healthy way of eating.

To each their own, of course.

RedComet

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightly Orange Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:23 pm

I don't worry too much about the paleo-ness of smoothies. The point is optimizing health, not being as prehistorically strict in your lifestyle as possible, and while "paleo principles" are a good place to start in terms of figuring out the general guidelines of what leads to optimal health, there's wiggle room involved.

There's nothing paleo about eating berries out of season, or having indoor heating, or using condoms, but that doesn't necessarily make them bad.

I find cold smoothies refreshing and have them for the enjoyment factor. I used to regard them as a quick and convenient way to get nutrients in as well, but these days I generally consider plant food overrated in terms of nutrients or fiber or anything necessary for the sustenance of human existence, so yeah, smoothies are just a pleasure thing now.
Nightly Orange
Nightly Orange

Back to top Go down

Post by Dawn Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:38 am

I sometimes make a smoothie with EVOO, avokado, cucumber, kale/spinach/what greens I have, lemon, salt and a green pepper. It is very green and very low carb and very filling, and has helped me scale back the number of meals I eat in a day. But now that I am basically down to One Meal a Day I tend not to eat outside my 1 hour window, and I would rather chew my salad.

Dawn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum