Is your size a pre-determined factor?

Go down

Is your size a pre-determined factor?

Post by ONTARIO on Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:47 pm

Just something I found interesting when surfing the internet news. It is a news article about a study that was done using mice (of course!) to see if obesity or increased fat accumulation is linked to genes.

https://lfpress.com/news/local-news/western-university-researchers-chubby-mice-show-obesity-linked-to-genes

I have always thought that size does have some gene component to it. Sure, diet and exercise matter but some people (women sizes used here)  are just never going to be a size 2 just like others are never going to be a size 20.

I'll have to see if I can get a copy of the actual study once it's released. It would be interesting to read.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Is your size a pre-determined factor?

Post by Lovebird on Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:03 am

Ontario wrote:I'll have to see if I can get a copy of the actual study once it's released. It would be interesting to read.

That's easy... Very Happy Here you go:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-018-34234-9

Pannexin 1 regulates adipose stromal cell differentiation and fat accumulation. Scientific Reports, 2018; 8

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:17 am

LB - you are a research extraordinaire, I swear!
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sharperhawk on Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:27 pm

Genes have some influence on pretty much everything.

I take issue with "predetermined." Obesity is not predetermined. There may be a lower limit on how small you can be, given adequate food. There is no upper limit on how big you can become. That is why we see every First World country becoming more obese. The genes haven't changed that much in a few decades. Food prices, food convenience, and how much physical activity is part of our mandatory routines have changed.
sharperhawk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:28 pm

^ 100% agree. You just have to do the best you can working with the genetic hand you were dealt with 9 months before birth.

I've always been way, way too short for my weight, going all the way back to being too big for Pop Warner football at age 10.

I've always found the BMI charts to be pretty humourous points of reference. Michael Jordon, in his prime was overweight, there's no hope for me.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down