Back to the Future.....

Go down

Back to the Future.....

Post by GiGy on Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:13 pm

It is time to get back to a better future. Very Happy I have lived a LC lifestyle off and on for at least 15 years. I have tried every healthy and nonhealthy way of trying to lose weight in my adult life. I am now 48 years old, and all of those fad diets pretty much broke my metabolism. Crying or Very sad I had been obese for 20 years, and morbidly obese for the last decade. A back injury in my 20s led to chronic pain in my 30s and 40s, which made being active very difficult and massively painful much of the time.

Ten years ago, I discovered alternative medicine in the form of chiropractic care and therapeutic massage, which mitigated my chronic pain enough that I could do some of the things I loved, like kayaking, biking, hiking, camping in small doses. It had such a profound impact on my life that I left a 25-year career in health information to become a Massage Therapist.

Being active again, including such a physically demanding job, improved things significantly, but I still couldn't lose more than 20 pounds, no matter what I tried. Then, 18 months ago, I ended up in the ER with shortness of breath after a vomiting episode. The ER physician thought I was having a heart attack at the age of 46. Thankfully, I was NOT having a heart attack and further testing showed my vessels were all healthy, though my heart was working a littler harder than it should have to, probably due to obesity. After a few days, all my symptoms went away completely. However, as part of that workup, they found a mass in my left kidney. I firmly believe that some higher power put me in that ER so they could find that kidney CA. They removed that mass and took part of my kidney with it.

I recovered remarkably quickly considering I was 100 lbs overweight. My best friend had bariatric surgery (sleeve gastrectomy) and I watched how quickly she lost weight and got healthy, and I started the process with my insurance company to get approved. It took me 9 months to get approved, and I had my surgery 1/31. I have lost 90 pounds to date. I am now finally able to work out and exercise again! I have about another 30 pounds to go to get to goal. I feel so much better when eating primally and avoiding grains and sugar of all kinds. I am a sugar addict, and am utilizing the 21-day transformation plan to ease back into living primally and kick this crappy sugar addiction. Bariatric surgery makes it physically impossible to overeat like I used to, but it doesn't fix any unhealthy relationships you might have with food - like my sugar addiction. I have done so well, but have been stalled for 6 weeks at the same weight and I firmly believe it is due to the Standard American Diet that is encouraged by my bari program's nutritionist.

I am here to take my life to the next level. It is time. If you made it this far in reading my saga, thanks for sticking with me! I look forward to "meeting" some other like-minded folks and start this next chapter of life. bounce bounce bounce
GiGy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Back to the Future.....

Post by Annieh on Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:01 am

Hi, thanks for sharing your story. I look forward to following your progress and wish you every success.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:07 am

Welcome! Feel free to jump right in. The members here are friendly and full of wisdom.

My husband is a chiropractor. I'm glad, that like so many others, you found relief through chiropractic!

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:27 am

You've had quite a ride. I too am a huge chiropractic fan, My chiropractor saved me from back surgery a number of years ago, and did wonders for my two sons when they had soccer related injuries that the MD's didn't help. I believe you are the only person here who has had the bariatric surgery and if you are willing to share, I would be interested in what your experience was in your eating patterns and life changes you went through after it was done.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GiGy on Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:26 pm

Rig D wrote:I believe you are the only person here who has had the bariatric surgery and if you are willing to share, I would be interested in what your experience was in your eating patterns and life changes you went through after it was done.

Absolutely. I am not shy and am willing to answer any questions about the whole process - approval, preop consults, preop diet efforts, surgery itself, recovery. RigD or anyone else - feel free to ask questions here or PM me if you'd rather have a conversation privately. Bari surgery changed my life. It isn't an easy way out, or a magic pill, or a fix-it for whatever issues you have with food............ it is simply a tool, a very powerful tool. Smile
GiGy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:24 am

GiGy - I’d love to hear what they have you try before approving your surgery and if they required that you drop any weight pre-surg.

I do watch that show my 600lb Life at times, and while you were no where near what these people face, was your experience anything similar to that? You never know with those shows.

Have an awesome day.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Back to the Future.....

Post by GiGy on Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:02 pm

NM, I have never watched that show, so not sure how my experience compares..... The process starts with your insurance company. Each ins co has diff requirements to achieve approval. The following is what we had to do for United Healthcare John Deere Premier. (I say “we” cuz DH had his surgery two weeks ago today.)

1. Six months of physician-monitored dieting. Our ins co did not require that we lose any weight, but we had to make an attempt, meet with the physician each month for 6 months, and the physician had to send in specific documentation at the end of that timeframe.

A. DH had a diff NP when we started. His NP was totally against any kind of bari surgery and she was a complete a$$ about it. He tried to chg to my provider (same ofc) and the ofc give him a hard time. Well, under the Affordable Care Act, you can see any physician in your network and I made one polite but firm call to the ofc Mgr and got that taken care of.

B. My NP was very supportive and let us pick whatever program we wanted to try. I tried WW for the 7th time in my adult life, did it for 2 months, and GAINED 6 lbs following it to the letter. For the last 4 months, I switched to LC, lost the 6 and a few more. DH had been put on Metformin due to new dx of Diabetes Mellitus Type 2, so he dropped 60 lbs in that 6 months.

2. Psychological consult and personality testing to determine if there are any at-risk behaviors that might be dangerous for you, I.e. eating disorders, etc

3. Cardiac clearance since we both had high BP and I had a slightly below normal ejection fraction.

4. Sleep study and consult since we both had sleep apnea and used CPAPs.

5. Nutritionist consult and continued visits, learning to track macros, food intake, exercise, and fluids. I had been tracking in MFP for years so that was no big deal.

6. Bariatric support group meetings. We had a 50-mile drive one way, so we only attended the two required mtgs. They were helpful but difficult to sched with our work.

7. Laboratory testing including all blood work, CT, CXR, Swallow study, and testing for Helicobacter pylori, the bacteria that causes ulcers. My test was negative. Hubs was positive and he had to take this horrible cocktail of antibiotics for a month and then had an upper GI to make sure it was gone.

8. Once all that was done, a surgical committee had to review everything and approve us before they would even schedule the surgery.

9. For two weeks prior to surgery, liquid diet to shrink the liver as they have to move the liver aside during procedure, and the smaller it is, the better.

.10. Surgery Wed am, home Fri pm. Then 2 more weeks of liquid diet, 2 weeks of puréed foods, and 2 weeks of soft diet.

I went back to work after 3 weeks; DH will be off work prob 6 wks cuz he works in a factory and lifts a lot at work. Took forever for all that and having to drive 50+ miles one way sucked, but it was all worth it in the end. I was off my BP meds a week and a half after surgery and off my CPAP in 2 weeks. No more sleep apnea, no more snoring like a freight train, no shortness of breath carrying laundry up from the basement! 😁

Sent from Topic'it App
GiGy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:10 pm

Thank you for the thorough reply. Sounds like it’s not for the faint of heart. A lot of work to get where you are going.

I’m thrilled you are happy with it. I was curious about the pre-surg requirements.

Not something I need, but it’s nice to know what is required.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:55 am

+1. Thanks for a very informative response.
We know a lady who had a bariatric procedure done, not sure it was what you did but I think so. She's about 10-15 years post surgery and has maintained a slim, trim figure since her dramatic post surgery weight loss. I seem to recall that her experience entailed being only able to eat super small meals due to stomach "available space" being dramatically reduced. Just wondering if this is similar to what you found.

Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down