Primal Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How do you cook spaghetti squash?

5 posters

Go down

How do you cook spaghetti squash? Empty How do you cook spaghetti squash?

Post by ToddAndMargo Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:54 am

Hi All,

I harvested my first spaghetti squash from my garden today.

The ones from the store I typically just boiled.

I make a really delicious home made tomato sauce (no sugar of starch added). I also make a great ratatouille.

What next?

Many thanks,
-T
ToddAndMargo
ToddAndMargo

Back to top Go down

How do you cook spaghetti squash? Empty Re: How do you cook spaghetti squash?

Post by Narrowminded Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:40 am

The two methods I use are the microwave - cut in half, scoop out seeds, place cut side down in a dish with a little water and in about 11-13 min it’s cooked. However this comes out like steams and a little softer than I prefer.

My preferred method is to cut like above. Put a little olive oil on the flesh side and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Again set cut side down on a parchment Lined cookie sheet. Bake at 400 for approx 30 min. Squeeze and when it gives to your pressure it should be done enough. Check with a fork.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ekba Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:50 am

I bake as NM described.

I don’t like it with tomato sauces - too sweet on sweet for my taste.

I like it with stir fry or Thai curries, or with cream based sauce with savory herbs or spicy sausage.
ekba
ekba

Back to top Go down

Post by Vh67 Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:21 am

I am lazy so I just poke holes in mine with an ice pick and roast it in a pan at 350f until it soft. I let it cool, cut it open and scoop out the seeds. Then I pull out the flesh. It is much easier to cut in half after it is cooked.

Like Ekba, I do not like it with a tomato based sauce but it is yummy with cream based sauces/curries. Also, it makes an amazing base for breakfast porridge. I like it with cinnamon and coconut milk. You could add anything you would add to oatmeal.
Vh67
Vh67

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:10 am

I also cut it in half, scoop out the seeds and pulp and then put it face down in a baking dish with about half an inch of water and toss it in the oven for about 30 minutes.

ONTARIO

Back to top Go down

Post by ToddAndMargo Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:22 pm

Thank you all!

Ahhh. Turn out I picked my two test squash way too soon. No strings. The microwave method worked well.

I don't think I will grow hese again next year. They are too much work for the amount of food I get out of them and the time it takes to harvest.
ToddAndMargo
ToddAndMargo

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:41 pm

ToddAndMargo wrote:Thank you all!

Ahhh. Turn out I picked my two test squash way too soon.  No strings.  The microwave method worked well.    

I don't think I will grow hese again next year.  They are too much work for the amount of food I get out of them and the time it takes to harvest.

I agree. And, because they are a cheaper produce purchase I think it is more economical to buy them from the grocery store. I find that growing any sort of squash to take up too much space and far too much water. The cost of the water is more than the cost of purchasing a few squash.

ONTARIO

Back to top Go down

Post by ToddAndMargo Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:39 pm

ONTARIO wrote:
ToddAndMargo wrote:Thank you all!

Ahhh. Turn out I picked my two test squash way too soon.  No strings.  The microwave method worked well.    

I don't think I will grow hese again next year.  They are too much work for the amount of food I get out of them and the time it takes to harvest.

I agree. And, because they are a cheaper produce purchase I think it is more economical to buy them from the grocery store. I find that growing any sort of squash to take up too much space and far too much water. The cost of the water is more than the cost of purchasing a few squash.

Hi Ontario,

I am a drug free T2 (five years now) Diabetic.  My rules are 1) catch it or grow it yourself, 2) locally grown organic, 3) production organic, 4) conventional.  And don't obsess over it.  (My Jicama is conventional from the grocery store.)  So I have been trying to teach myself to garden since my diagnosis five years ago.  I started with a black thumb and now I am officially a Grey Thumb.

Part of what I had to learn was what was worth the effort and what was not.  Shallots are very yummy, but are so, so not worth the effort for the amount of food you get from them.  I am trying my hand at onions now.  Spaghetti squash are also not worth the effort.  Large tomatoes are not worth the effort of six feet of top soil for their root to spread out. (My soil [ha ha] is very rocky and sandy and I basically have to hack out holes and fill them with peat moss and organic fertilizer.  So, I have to only grow what would otherwise grow in a pot.)

I grow a lot of zucchini, and that is worth the effort.  Fresh zukes from the garden to the pan are a real treat!

I am also try to grow various berries that are tolerant of zone 6b (high desert).  So far I have been successful with Goji berries, which taste weird (like molasses and watermelon) but are very habit forming.  "Hmm, that tasted weird. I think I will have another one!"  And those are very worth the effort as over 20 U$D per 1/4 pound.  Great for your eyes too.  My choke berries (not cherries) are starting to take (too young for fruit).   Blackberries and bilberries are giving me fits trying to germinate.

I have been half way successful with Anaheim peppers.  Next year I will prefect them. You can't buy them in the store (least not around these parts).  They are red peppers with mild heat and tons of pepper taste.  They make a great flavour stimulator without the damage caused by MSG.

And I am awash in Ichiban eggplant.  I have given up trying to stop eggplant from absorbing all my cooking oil and started using them a flavour sponges to such up the liquid from my Ratatouille.  Yum!

And I have a jungle of cherry tomatoes, which we eat like candy.  Nice how Primal returns your sense of taste!  (I though I could not taste things any more because old age stinks.)  For some odd reason, Cherry Tomatoes do not have to have their root spread out as much.

My garden is tasted with producing a lot of low glycemic food.  (Corn is definitely a "no go"!)

A couple of pretty garden picture to share:

Goji:
https://ibb.co/dhsYse

Cherry tomatoes:
https://ibb.co/mYLtDK

-T

Why does talking to you guys always make me hungry?  :-)
ToddAndMargo
ToddAndMargo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down