Tomi found her way - and the quest continues.

Page 4 of 17 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10 ... 17  Next

Go down

Re: Tomi found her way - and the quest continues.

Post by Rig D on Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:36 am

Your husband wouldn't be neck deep in boats if he didn't love boats -- be happy he found work he enjoys and has been able to make a living being an entrepreneur doing what he knows and likes.

Your friend with the Crackin Crab product is likely to be jumping from a job to a more than full time entrepreneurial endeavor, I think it is time to rein in that little green dude, he's likely to be working like a dog for a good while getting it going and building it up. To my eye, the Crackin Crab looks to be a very simple, clean and effective tool.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:55 am

The reality of the Crackin' Crab video.... It bothered me.

Hope you find some good sleep sooner rather than later. I'm sure her comment about "management" bothered you. Sorry to hear for your sake but it must be good to know that there are still things that can be done to help.

Wow, 20 carbs. Just wow.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:11 am

Tomi you can do this. Following AIP will certainly help you hit the 20gms of carbs goal given that many higher carbs are out on that diet anyway. It will mean passing on all fruit but berries. However, I believe you can do this. I also believe if you can strictly stick with this for the next 60 days at least you will find it helps in more ways than weight loss.

Are you still seeing the therapist? I ask because discussing management mode vs healing mode will be vital. And who knows, maybe you will surprise everyone and get better than anyone believes following what she wants you to do.

Hang in there. We are here for you.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:21 pm

Rig D wrote:Your husband wouldn't be neck deep in boats if he didn't love boats -- be happy he found work he enjoys and has been able to make a living being an entrepreneur doing what he knows and likes.  

Your friend with the Crackin Crab product is likely to be jumping from a job to a more than full time entrepreneurial endeavor, I think it is time to rein in that little green dude, he's likely to be working like a dog for a good while getting it going and building it up.  To my eye, the Crackin Crab looks to be a very simple, clean and effective tool.

Oh I'm not saying I'm not completely thankful for the career hubby has built. He does love boats, but he has said if someone walked in tomorrow with cash in hand he's sell the business. He is amazing - and the best boat man on the West Coast. We have people bring their boats to him from 600 miles away! He's amazing! But at 58, his body is getting tired of the hard work and long hours. So I'm just thinking about winding down a bit, not getting out completely. The business has really built itself on his reputation. The only advertising we do is a yellow pages ad. Its all word of mouth from happy customers. When we got married in 2001 it was just him working all alone. Now we have 3 full time employees, plus him and they can barely keep up with the work. Its a HUGE blessing! Not just for us, for the families we are able to provide employment and medical benefits for.

Tony started his Crackin Crab business about 2 years ago. Working weekends at trade shows and networking with businesses to get his product on display. Its generating a good income now, which is allowing him to move from his banking job to this full time. He's got his product in many stores already - its pretty cool to watch him do his magic. Not saying its going to be easy street at all - but certainly less taxing than the banking job he has never really enjoyed.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:27 pm

perennialpam wrote:The reality of the Crackin' Crab video....  It bothered me.  

Hope you find some good sleep sooner rather than later.  I'm sure her comment about "management" bothered you.  Sorry to hear for your sake but it must be good to know that there are still things that can be done to help.  

Wow, 20 carbs.  Just wow.  

Pam, can't disagree on the crab thing. It looks inhumane - but in truth, it kills the crab immediately. I think its better than putting a live crab in boiling water. The killing of any living thing is disturbing - but we need to eat. Its the way of nature.

I was difficult to hear that I must adjust my goals to "management" instead of "healing". But, better to know the reality then shoot for something not attainable and be constantly disappointed and frustrated. With my personality, I would be kicking myself in the A$$ and calling myself a failure for not being able to reach my goals - so at least now I know the bar is lower than I was shooting for. So, although hard to hear, I guess a part of me is a bit relieved.

Yes, 20 is low. Its going to be difficult.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:48 pm

Narrowminded wrote:Tomi you can do this.  Following AIP will certainly help you hit the 20gms of carbs goal given that many higher carbs are out on that diet anyway.  It will mean passing on all fruit but berries.  However, I believe you can do this.  I also believe if you can strictly stick with this for the next 60 days at least you will find it helps in more ways than weight loss.

Are you still seeing the therapist? I ask because discussing management mode vs healing mode will be vital.  And who knows, maybe you will surprise everyone and get better than anyone believes following what she wants you to do.

Hang in there.  We are here for you.

Thanks, NM. I will read up on AIP again. I was originally thinking Keto for weight loss - but NP says it has many other health benefits so what could possibly be wrong with it? I'm diving in today. The passed few weeks I've been shooting to be under 50, and preferably very near 25. I've been about 50% successful. But now I have more reason, and support of NP to go for it hard core. My greens powder will be a good source of plant based nutrition without all the carbs. I might just get the bulk of my carbs from cashews. Two servings - about 35 nuts - has 12 grams of carbs. The other 8 will come mostly from the greens. Actually I might like this - the cashews will give me the "snack" factor that I need every day. Protein drink with greens - cashews - and meats/fats.

I'm no longer seeing the therapist. I actually only had one visit with her. Just verbalizing my twisted thinking and hearing her personal experience allowed me to push that nasty voice of my ex right out of my brain! Smile Its been wonderful to not hear that negativity playing in my head everyday! I might be overweight --- but I'm beautiful! I know it, I feel it. Smile
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:57 pm

So - had a good visit with my oldest sis. She is 70 years old now. She got here at 5:15 - and stayed until 12:30! I did not expect her to stay that long! I was exhausted and so wanted to go to bed at 10 with hubby - but she kept talking. I hinted a couple times that she should hit the road cuz she had a 2 hour drive ahead of her. We both invited her to spend the night, but she said she had an appointment today and needed to get back. I finally got up to use the potty and asked if she needed to pee before she left. I guess that got her moving. I love her to death, but she talks loud and a lot and it is very draining! I slept poorly, waking often. I went to bed at 1:30 - since I needed to take my sleeping aids and let them kick in - and I didn't get out of bed until noon! Today I am thankful there is nothing on my calendar. My Rx is ready at the pharmacy and hubby said he would grab it on his way home this evening. So, I am in REST mode today.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:36 pm

Tomi I know you mentioned before what greens powder you are using, but I forget. I’d like to check it out. There are a few that bother me so I want to look it up. Probably moreso for my friend who is going to eventually read Amy’s book this week.

You can do this.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:06 am

This is Amy Myers greens - https://store.amymyersmd.com/collections/smoothies-bars/products/clean-greens

This is the Might Maca Plus - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RNC048Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I haven't tried the MMP yet. It has less carbs and no sugar.

Had a talk with hubby to fill him in on all that NP said. It was hard to tell him I won't be able to fix/cure this and that life is going to be different. We have a new normal.

I'm beginning to wrap my brain around it all and I realize there is going to be a need to adjust emotionally and accept what NP is telling me will be my future.

Tomorrow night is ladies dinner night - I will benefit from their input.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:49 pm

First night on 5mg oxybutynin. They aren't kidding when they say it can cause dry mouth! And the dizziness! WOW! I took it at 10:15, and when I got up to pee at 12:30 I could barely walk to the bathroom. But it seemed to work. I only got up twice to pee, but was awake at my normal times, just didn't need to get up. I'm thinking my body will reset its wake up clock if my bladder isn't saying "empty me!". I have 40 pills so I will give it a good go before deciding if I need to add a sleep aid. I'm hopeful.

I did feel better when I got up this morning and was able to get some much needed housekeeping done. No more spidery webs lurking in corners! Vacuumed and dusted the main living areas, started laundry and am watering the yard.

I'm having some pain in my right side. It comes and goes......... a little in the lower right quadrant and a little in the upper right quadrant. Its been going on for a few months now. Nothing terribly painful - just a dull achiness. No pain when I push on the areas. Very odd. This morning the pain is also in my back, almost like kidney pain. I should probably ask NP about it. Since it comes and goes I can't imagine its anything serious. But I certainly don't want another kidney stone!!!! One 11mm stone is enough for a lifetime!

tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:45 pm

Tomi I’m guessing you slept better than you thought since your bladder wasn’t hollering at you.

Definitely talk to the NP about that pain.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:00 pm

I am sleeping better - longer times between wake ups! Even when I did wake up to pee - only twice again - the urgency was not there. Smile Still could use some improvement though. Patience - again, not my strong suit. I did wake up with more energy but drained it quickly with cleaning up the kitchen.

I'm pretty sure the pain is a kidney stone. I started taking my stone breaker (Chanca Piedra) yesterday - and no pain today. I ordered more cuz I'm almost out. But will definitely talk to her if this doesn't work.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:10 am

day 3 of Keto - I'm hitting 20 carbs a day. Doesn't take much to eat 20 carbs. I'm feeling pretty good.

Tried to convince hubby that this would be good for him - he wasn't interested. Sad

We took down our old split rail fence today - we're having it replaced with a treated pole fence. We're hiring it out to its done right and its good and straight. Smile But first - we are taking out some sick rhodies and replacing them with new stuff. Not sure what stuff. We need to talk to a landscaper and get some help with deciding what to buy. We want some Japanese maples and others.

tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:12 am

Tomi - happy to hear you are starting to sleep better. Yes, give the med time to work. Surely hope its not a kidney stone, but I’ve had them and they are not fun.

Great job with keto. You are right, doesn’t take much to hit 20gms carbs. I put my usual hash in to MFP out of curiosity. Mind you it includes greens, onions, peppers, brussles and about 1 oz of sweet potato. 21 carbs and only 2 fiber so even if I sub out the fiber still 19. Crazy.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:19 am

I admire anyone who can successfully do keto. It's hard! I can't do it, I know that! So, good for you! You'll have to let us know how it goes. I have a friend who went keto back in November 2017 and he's lost 85 pounds and stayed on it to this day. It literally gave him his life back. Sadly, his wife couldn't handle his life changes and didn't want to share his journey and she left him. It was quite a shock as he's the nicest, kindest, man.

Japanese maples are beautiful. Are you thinking full-size or dwarf?

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KetoJulia on Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:25 pm

Great job so far on keto, Tomi!!! Yeah!

Glad to hear the sleeping is a little better too.

Fingers crossed that the pain you're experiencing is NOT a kidney stone.

Remember to drink your water.... without carbs, the body has a harder time holding on to water, so drink up!

flower  Julia
KetoJulia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:44 pm

Narrowminded wrote:Tomi - happy to hear you are starting to sleep better.  Yes, give the med time to work.  Surely hope its not a kidney stone, but I’ve had them and they are not fun.

Great job with keto.  You are right, doesn’t take much to hit 20gms carbs.  I put my usual hash in to MFP out of curiosity.  Mind you it includes greens, onions, peppers, brussles and about 1 oz of sweet potato.  21 carbs and only 2 fiber so even if I sub out the fiber still 19.  Crazy.

Yes, sleep is much better not having to go pee every 2 hours! Today I actually feel like I'm starting to catch up - or rest up - what ever its called. Still getting up twice to pee - so might try 10 mg tonight and see what happens. Last night the dry mouth and dizziness was not so bad.

ONTARIO wrote:I admire anyone who can successfully do keto. It's hard! I can't do it, I know that! So, good for you! You'll have to let us know how it goes. I have a friend who went keto back in November 2017 and he's lost 85 pounds and stayed on it to this day. It literally gave him his life back. Sadly, his wife couldn't handle his life changes and didn't want to share his journey and she left him. It was quite a shock as he's the nicest, kindest, man.

Japanese maples are beautiful. Are you thinking full-size or dwarf?

Keto is HARD!!! it is very limiting - especially since I can't eat raw or leafy greens yet. I'm very hopeful that this new plan of eating will be the magic that I've been looking for to get this weight off and fix the other health issues that have been plaguing me for years! Fingers and toes crossed!

I would guess there was much more to the story of your friend and his divorce............ so sad though. I hope he finds a new love who will share his quest for a healthier life.

Japanese maples: both large and dwarf --- plus a mix of other types of shrubs that will flower and give the yard some interest. We have only had Rhodies and Azaleas in the front and its very boring. I want textures and dimensions.

KetoJulia wrote:Great job so far on keto, Tomi!!! Yeah!

Glad to hear the sleeping is a little better too.

Fingers crossed that the pain you're experiencing is NOT a kidney stone.

Remember to drink your water.... without carbs, the body has a harder time holding on to water, so drink up!

flower  Julia

Thanks for the tip on the water! I'm not having any more pain so I believe it is a kidney stone - the stone breaker stuff really works! Every time I've started to feel this flank pain I've taken it and the pain stops. I will continue taking it for few more weeks to make sure things gets dissolved and flushed out!

Speaking of "flushed" Smile Smile my bowels have stopped moving since I started Keto! I might need to start taking magnesium.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:10 pm

I just need to vent a little........

My sweet hubby - I love him to death! But his lack of interest in taking care of his health drives me crazy! Yesterday when we were discussing the changes in my diet - and brainstorming ways for me to make dinners for the both of us - he got a little pissy about the fact that he can no longer have dairy (milk and ice cream only) -- blaming ME for being deprived. I reminded him that cutting milk and ice cream was because of HIS rheumatoid arthritis! I reminded him that dairy is huge inflammatory food. He still eats cottage cheese, cream cheese, all kinds of hard cheese and yogurt. Then he asked about different kinds of fruits and veggies -- and got a bit frustrated because basically all fruit is off the plate for me. I told him he could eat whatever he wants, but if he wants to loose that belly it would help him to eat more in line with what I'm doing. We decided that I will cook dinner for my needs and add carbs for him. Which is totally acceptable - but I wish he cared more.

I guess I am frustrated because he's watched The Magic Pill with me - and numerous other low carb type videos. He just doesn't care. If roles were reversed I would adjust do whatever diet his body (or doctor) required in order to make it easier on him to stick to it and to just have a sense of "team-work" between us. He's sitting here eating grapes and watermelon and cherries, and granola bars. I cooked bacon for my dinner and had it all weighed so I can track things in MFP -- and he's eating it. GRRRR! When I cook something for me - he's always snitching bites off my plate. And that messes up my macros.

Maybe I shouldn't be so sensitive or anal about it all......... but I just feel like I have no support. When he's eating something that he knows is not on my "diet" he always asks me if I want some. He always says he'll be there to help me - but he never is.

I've said it before - and I just need to say it again - I'm on my own here and I need to do what I need to do and not rely on anyone else for support or help when I'm weak. Cuz if I suggest we get something that I should not be eating -- like the cheesecake a couple weeks back -- he DOES NOT step up and say "nope, thats not good for you". He's all ............. "where's the keys, I'll be back in 10 minutes".

He loves food. And yes, he's over weight - not by much, but he could easily take off 30 pounds. His "gut" doesn't bother him at all. I find it unattractive. Maybe that is shallow of me - but men shouldn't look prego. And besides all that - its is very unhealthy for him to carry that weight in his torso. I've explained that too - he doesn't care.

I'm busting my butt to fix my health issues and he just doesn't care. Maybe thats the basis for my frustration. I'm trying so hard - and he's not. He says he's given up enough already. Yes he's quit sugar and all....... okay I'm going to stop ragging on my sweet hubby. Maybe I'm just having day 3 grumpies on my new way of eating!!!

Sorry.............

tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:03 am

I need to work on less protein and more fat. Today I ate 112 grams of protein. I think I should be closer to 60-80. More fat - less protein. Need to buy avocados.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:31 am

tomi1000 wrote:I just need to vent a little........

My sweet hubby - I love him to death! But his lack of interest in taking care of his health drives me crazy! Yesterday when we were discussing the changes in my diet - and brainstorming ways for me to make dinners for the both of us - he got a little pissy about the fact that he can no longer have dairy (milk and ice cream only) -- blaming ME for being deprived. I reminded him that cutting milk and ice cream was because of HIS rheumatoid arthritis! I reminded him that dairy is huge inflammatory food. He still eats cottage cheese, cream cheese, all kinds of hard cheese and yogurt. Then he asked about different kinds of fruits and veggies -- and got a bit frustrated because basically all fruit is off the plate for me. I told him he could eat whatever he wants, but if he wants to loose that belly it would help him to eat more in line with what I'm doing. We decided that I will cook dinner for my needs and add carbs for him. Which is totally acceptable - but I wish he cared more.

I guess I am frustrated because he's watched The Magic Pill with me - and numerous other low carb type videos. He just doesn't care. If roles were reversed I would adjust do whatever diet his body (or doctor) required in order to make it easier on him to stick to it and to just have a sense of "team-work" between us. He's sitting here eating grapes and watermelon and cherries, and granola bars. I cooked bacon for my dinner and had it all weighed so I can track things in MFP -- and he's eating it. GRRRR! When I cook something for me - he's always snitching bites off my plate. And that messes up my macros.

Maybe I shouldn't be so sensitive or anal about it all......... but I just feel like I have no support. When he's eating something that he knows is not on my "diet" he always asks me if I want some. He always says he'll be there to help me - but he never is.

I've said it before - and I just need to say it again - I'm on my own here and I need to do what I need to do and not rely on anyone else for support or help when I'm weak. Cuz if I suggest we get something that I should not be eating -- like the cheesecake a couple weeks back -- he DOES NOT step up and say "nope, thats not good for you". He's all ............. "where's the keys, I'll be back in 10 minutes".

He loves food. And yes, he's over weight - not by much, but he could easily take off 30 pounds. His "gut" doesn't bother him at all. I find it unattractive. Maybe that is shallow of me - but men shouldn't look prego. And besides all that - its is very unhealthy for him to carry that weight in his torso. I've explained that too - he doesn't care.

I'm busting my butt to fix my health issues and he just doesn't care. Maybe thats the basis for my frustration. I'm trying so hard - and he's not. He says he's given up enough already. Yes he's quit sugar and all....... okay I'm going to stop ragging on my sweet hubby. Maybe I'm just having day 3 grumpies on my new way of eating!!!

Sorry.............

I suppose the 'I need to vent' means we're not supposed to comment on it... Cool however I will say this: you've been at this since 2011 (MDA membership) and he still chooses to eat mostly SAD... and it's not just dairy that's bad for him... grains/sugar/O6 oils... but it's his decision to make. Granted, you have a much more difficult path to follow than the average Primal/Paleo person, with lots of bumps in the road. However, he's a grown up and so are you. You're both responsible for your own choices.

You want support? That's what this forum is all about. You need to vent/rant how difficult it can be at times to stick to your plan without hubby's support? Go right ahead. However don't expect us to remain silent when you clearly need a different perspective or more info... it's up to you whether you listen or not. Remember the 'love yourself first and foremost'? Smile

You have a tendency to jump into things head first, before even knowing all the details of whatever plan you've decided upon, which means you're making things far more difficult and complicated than they have to be. JMO. Pick 1 thing, be it keto/IF/AIP/Primal/Paleo and stick to it. Make healthy and smart choices. Built healthy habits one by one so they'll stick in the long run.

Just know that if he chooses to eat SAD foods AND eats your keto dinners plus carbs, he's gonna do so much worse. You could make your breakfast and lunch close to zero carbs (meat and greens) and no snacking cashews inbetween Rolling Eyes (if you must, eat a few macadamia nuts instead) and eat the majority of your 20 grams at dinner (real food in the form of cooked allowed veggies) which should allow for better sleep too. Don't forget to keep an eye on your electrolytes. Show him your love by making healthy meals instead of nagging him. Nobody likes to be told what to do, you neither... leave the books on the coffee table so he can read up if he wants to, don't push him. He'll resent you for it, like with the dairy... Just because you can't have a certain veggie, doesn't mean he can't either.

You want results? Post your foods here. Every single bite/drop. No sodas, drink water instead. Take pictures of everything you eat/drink and share them.
Move/play whenever you can... nothing strenous, just mindfully engage your core when you're busy around the house/garden and built your strength back up, slowly but surely.

It's up to you. You can ignore all of this and keep doing what you're doing or make some changes. Your choice. Your happiness. *hugs*

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:52 am

tomi1000 wrote: Maybe I'm just having day 3 grumpies on my new way of eating!!!

This is quite possible. Low carb/keto certainly made me feel grouchy (skinny, strong and not at all hungry, but....very grumpy).
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:44 am

Lovebird - thanks for everything you said. I agree and I'm trying my best. Hubby will never eat any healthier than he is right now and my telling him won't change anything. I'm putting my all into this Keto diet and plan to stay with it because I believe its best for me in the long run. I've tried to do my homework. I've been reading up on the "how to's" for several months. Putting it all into practice and doing it all right will have some trial and error involved. I agree, I do jump in without knowing everything I should. Character flaw I guess. I'm impulsive. But this time, its on the orders of NP, so I might not have been totally informed, but felt I should or had to jump in and learn as I go.

I very much appreciate everyone here in this forum and the support, advice and encouragement is priceless. When I say I have no support I mean in my everyday life - my real life. This is real life - but not always real time life. In the moment issues can't always be handled by coming here. For example - there was an 8 hour delay between my post and your response. Sometimes - most often - support is needed in the moment. Thats what I'm lacking. There are many keto related FB pages, but most of the people on there are not doing Paleo Keto, or have any health issues, or know anything about me. So, its really no help at all. It might be instant answers but its never useful advice. And sometimes people can just be very rude and insensitive. Besides all that -- hubby is my best friend and I expect him to have my back and help me with all things in life. It hurts and disappoints when I find thats not happening.

I don't have a problem with the distribution of my macros, but I do agree that eating the carbs closer to bed would be better for my sleep. I have been trying to eat nothing after 6 pm so I have a good long window of IFing. Here's my typical days food:

Noon - protein drink with greens and coconut milk powder (sometimes I add 1TB avo mayo)
2:00 - 1 serving of cashews (been trying to buy macadamia nuts, but not finding a good deal $$$$)
4-6:00 pm - 6 ounces of protein, 2 ounces of cooked bacon, 2 TB avo mayo mixed with spicy brown mustard.

20 carbs - 80-100 protein - 80ish fat - 1200ish calories

My frustration with hubby is mild and fleeting....... I really needed to just get the thoughts out of my head. I am fine with it 95% of the time. I just got cranky yesterday. I know I can't change him or make choices for him. I really don't nag him, I just try to get him to discuss things with me. When he shows disinterest I back off. I understand where's he coming from - "if its not broke don't fix it" is his mantra! In his eyes, his health is fine so he see's reason to drastically alter his diet. Even though his dad had Type 2 Diabetes and CHF. And he's been overweight most of his adult life so he's just used to it. Preventative maintenance doesn't seem important to him. He's also a bit of an ostrich --- he likes to stick his head in the sand and ignore things that he doesn't want to deal with. I love him to pieces. All I want is for a more united front in our home.

Annieh --- I'm pretty sure that is my issue. I hit my time of 5% when I just need to vent my frustration.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:47 am

What Annieh said! 

Tomi, I want you to go back and read your posts in your old journal and write down every time you decide to try something new (food plan, supplement, anything), then how long you stuck with it, and how you felt energy wise while on it.  I know, I am always giving you homework, but I believe you will find this a valuable exercise. 

You and I joined MDA about the same time.  I just this year have DH fairly 80-20.  He does two low-calorie days a week and no longer expects a serving (or 3) of carbs at dinner.  I did not go into a lot of information as to why or why not I was eating something, I just did my thing and cooked a dinner that I am able to eat.  At the start, I made him white rice (his favorite), but only about 1/2 to 1 cup of cooked rice, so he could not get his usual heaping serving.  I did and do make potatoes cooked in bacon fat or butter fairly often when I am not eating low carb.  I have served him cauliflower rice and while it is not his favorite, he eats it.  He has gotten used to having a protein and some veg for dinner.  I have seen his portions shrink considerably.

I tell you this because he had to get there himself.  I do not ask about his lunch and I do not make comments about what he orders if we eat out.  He is free to do what he wants, but I do my thing.  Is it hard when he orders a dessert or has bread with butter, yes and honestly I might have a taste, but I know that eating more than that will cause me issues.  When I first started this, I wrote down my body's reaction to foods.  You might want to do the same.  There is nothing like seeing a list of painful reactions to help keep you on the straight and narrow.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:52 am

Another thought - I maintain this journal because I need like minded people in my life. You all are those like minded people. I think we've all come to the paleo/primal life because some health issue drove us here. I mean, what totally healthy, fit person would give up yummy foods like ice cream, bread or apple pie if there wasn't a good motivating factor pushing them to do so? I certainly wouldn't. My health falling apart is what keeps me in this world of "food is medicine" thinking. And my healing will keep me here.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:03 am

Kathy - I always welcome your "homework" Smile

I have done all those things already. I keep a list on a spread sheet of foods that give me issues with details of what those are. I don't even need to re-read my MDA journal cuz I remember just how often and short were my rabbit trails into a new plan. This time is different. This time my mind is not in "lets try this and see how it goes" - my mind is "I'm going to do this and make this work". And having NP tell me the WHYs for me personally of doing this Keto thing is a huge boost to my determination. I am committed to this, not for a trial period - but for the foreseeable future. Its hard but doable. I won't fall away unless there are medical reasons to show its not the right plan for me.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 17 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10 ... 17  Next