Tomi found her way - and the quest continues.

Page 3 of 17 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10 ... 17  Next

Go down

Re: Tomi found her way - and the quest continues.

Post by tomi1000 on Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:30 pm

Rig D wrote:I may be repeating the obvious, but Just remember that GF just means no wheat, rye, barley. It is still loaded with other grains and corn, all of which bring on a ton of carbs. I'd try no grains or corn at all, see if it also doesn't help with your fibro pain also.   IMO no bread, cakes or pies, no pasta, are the starting points for low carb. Check your cooking oils also and dump corn, canola, soy. I'd also drop all soft drinks, seems to me to be a big enabler of poor eating.

Never hurts to repeat the important stuff! Wink

I'm usually 100% grain free. Every couple months I will have a little, but when I have any the scale takes a leap in the wrong direction. I'm down 3 pounds already so I know it was just inflammation. Sometimes a girl just needs a waffle!!! Razz I only use olive oil, cold pressed, and real butter. Diet soda.......... guilty.

The fibro happens nearly every evening no matter what I eat. A totally clean diet doesn't help. Yesterday I had my protein/greens with coconut milk shake. Some cashews, a few bites of watermelon. Chicken, salmon with avo mayo and mustard, and squash with butter and cinnamon. Like clockwork, the fibro burning on the soles of my feet started around 9 pm. and by 10 pm I'm squirming around trying to stop the migraine in my legs! Tylenol does nothing, but I take it anyway.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by marcadav on Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:56 pm

Tomi, have you tried an epsom salts bath before your leg pain tends to start?

marcadav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:18 pm

The Epsom salts are worth a try and you were doing a nightly hot tub soak that was helping, right?
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:15 pm

marcadav wrote:Tomi, have you tried an epsom salts bath before your leg pain tends to start?

I have tried the E.S.s bath -- doesn't help. I've tried magnesium lotions as well.

Pedidoc wrote:The Epsom salts are worth a try and you were doing a nightly hot tub soak that was helping, right?

The hot tub soaking ending due to HOT weather. Its no fun sitting in 101 degree water when its 80 degrees outside. I'm too heat sensitive. But, I will start it again now that the evenings are nice and cool. Just have to get in the habit again. We have used it several times over the past couple weeks, but other things distract me and I forget. Then its bedtime. I can add a reminder to my phone!!! Smile

Dinner will be bacon and chicken thigh (skinless/boneless) cuz I've already used up my macro's for carbs today. :/

tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:47 pm

Tomi - so sorry about the leg/foot pains. Maybe if it’s too hot to soak your whole body, just put your feet in for a bit, since that seems to be the problem area.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by marcadav on Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:52 pm

Have you looked into or tried any of the many varieties of epsom salt soaks offered here:
https://www.drteals.com/products/?product-type=salts

marcadav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:50 pm

How about a warm/tepid bath?  I use lavender Epsom salts.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:24 pm

marcadav wrote:Have you looked into or tried any of the many varieties of epsom salt soaks offered here:
https://www.drteals.com/products/?product-type=salts

Pedidoc wrote:How about a warm/tepid bath?  I use lavender Epsom salts.

WOW! I had no idea so many varieties existed! I once bought a scented kind of Dr. Teal's ESs --- but after I found out hubby thought it was just like the plain kind and used it as a laxative I decided to only buy the plain kind! (I don't know how many times I've told him to NEVER ingest medicinal type items without first talking to me!) I will definitely to be getting some of these! Thanks!
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:35 pm

I slept well last night. Energy is still dragging. I need to talk to NP about the type of anti-viral I'm taking as I've read CMV does not respond to this one. I see her Wednesday.

MILs house has been inspected and the work to be done is underway. Closing should hopefully happen before the end of September. HOPEFULLY!! This has been dragging on for 2 1/2 years! But, it has allowed us to pay down our mortgage enough that when all the dust settles our savings account will be slightly padded still. That is, until we buy a 5th wheel.

We've both agreed that we will not take out loans on anything again unless it is absolutely unavoidable - like, should one of us get very sick or something. But vehicles, work to the house or "wants" will be paid for in cash. Shouldn't be too much of a problem since we won't have a mortgage.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:39 pm

Remember you are still healing and will go through some downs as well as ups.

Good plan with the cash.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:08 pm

GF products are generally VERY high carb and high calorie also - they often contain 1/3 more calories than their glutinous counterparts. Pretty safe to say they have no place in a low carb diet. And we haven't even got into the fact that they often contain highly processed and questionable ingredients.
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:17 pm

I will be interested in what the NP says.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:03 pm

The Walrus wrote:GF products are generally VERY high carb and high calorie also - they often contain 1/3 more calories than their glutinous counterparts.  Pretty safe to say they have no place in a low carb diet.  And we haven't even got into the fact that they often contain highly processed and questionable ingredients.  

Agree totally.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:04 pm

So nice to have hubby home for an extra day this week !!!!!! Smile Smile Smile Smile
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:11 pm

so I've been micro-examining my diet. A couple days ago I said something about being mostly grain free. But then I started thinking............. rice is a grain right? I eat rice maybe once a week. Other than rice -- I'm 99% grain free.

I need to re-examine my "honest to God diet" --- not my "lets ignore that part" diet. Not that I purposefully ignore -- but I easily forget.

I think I'm going to start tracking in a spreadsheet - cuz y'all know I love tracking and spread sheets! Smile If I have things tracked in an easy to view format I think I will be more honest about my diet. I can track macro's and maybe have a column for "protein type", "fat type", and "carb type". It would be interesting to see exactly where I'm getting my carbs. Protein and fat are easy - and don't really matter.

With summer - I've been eating more fruit than I should - big carbs!

I think I will do that. I mean - I should do whatever it takes to accomplish my goal of eating very low carb, right?
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:16 am

Tomi I think a spreadsheet may help you see what exactly you are consuming. I think they only thing you should record for this month is what. So breakfast, banana, nut butter, eggs. Like that, w/o any connnection to anything. This way it will be an honest reflection of what you are eating.

My fear is if you even start with macros you will start tweaking. Not that tweaking is bad, but I think first you need a good look at what you “really” eat. I hope that makes sense.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:34 am

Tomi, when I was on WW I created my own Food sheet. It was somewhat labor intensive but got easier especially since I tend to eat the same items. I put it together as I went and found it was very helpful.

perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:37 am

Narrowminded wrote:I think they only thing you should record for this month is what. So breakfast, banana, nut butter, eggs. Like that, w/o any connnection to anything. This way it will be an honest reflection of what you are eating.

Great suggestion Sue. I second that one. Smile

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:06 pm

yes - I agree, and that is basically what I set up last night.  The only difference is that I am recording food by Protein, Carbs and Added Fats.  Just so I can see exactly where my macros are coming from.  MFP tracks calories and macros by the numbers so that is helping me be honest with carb counts.

There isn't much more I can tweak!   Crying or Very sad Other than really watching the carb intake I don't what else I can do with my diet.  Take yesterday --- which was a very typical day when I'm being mindful of what I'm eating.  And I am mindful most of the time.

Total calories 1468
Carbs 65
Protein 90
Fat 93

Had I not snacked on one handful of trail mix and 2 cashew/almond/pumpkin seed squares, 5 grapes and a cup of cut up watermelon it would have been

Total calories 1238
Carbs 47
Protein 83
Fats 77

Lunch - 3 eggs, 1 oz of cooked bacon, 1 oz cheese
Dinner - 4 oz grilled Salmon, 1 scoop protein powder, 1 scoop greens, 1 TB coconut milk powder (no sugar)
Snack - see above

Last edited by tomi1000 on Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:26 pm

Frustration with family stuff today! Mom needs help with her rent eval appt. and her manager wants to do it tomorrow. I can't go. Sister who lives there is on vaca this week. Sister who is 2 hours away isn't committing to taking on the job. Moms upset and worried about making her manager wait. She called me last night - I told her to call sister in town. I have the log in info for getting the SS verification letter since I set up the online access. Frustrating! I am going to email it to both sisters and let them hash it out.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:49 pm

Family problem fixed. Oldest sister is going to come up and attend the eval meeting with mom, and she was able to print the SS Validation Letter from the email I sent to her. She's coming here for dinner then making the 2 hour drive back home.

I like doing the spreadsheet to track stuff - it really does keep me on track and accountable for all the "this bite won't matter" excuses that I'm famous for making. It also makes me understand just how many calories and especially carbs happen when I mindlessly pop nut type snacks in my mouth. I'm focusing on healthy meats and fats and adding just enough low carbs veggies to make me feel like I'm getting enough. I am doing a scoop of Amy Myers greens in my protein drink, so I'm getting some good nutrition there. Once this canister is gone I'll switch to the Might Maca Plus as it has a stronger concentration of goodies. The price is just slightly cheaper also.

I must be in an energy slow down or slump. I guess maybe my body is putting energy into healing. My gut is most definitely doing better Smile As long as I do my part in eating clean and healthy, my stomach hardly ever hurts (except right after a meal, ouch!) and the diarrhea is gone. I'm still using the bathroom more times than I would like, but overall, I'm happy with the progress. And, considering where I've been for the past 11 years - this is a wonderful place to be! Smile

I'm hoping to get back to walking again soon, but with this low energy I'm not going to push it. Today I showered, dried my hair (not a quick job), put away 2 loads of laundry, made a trip to 2 banks, one required I go inside, moved the sprinklers 6 times, and brought in the garbage and greens can. This was all completed by 1:30 --- and then I was so pooped out I've barely left the sofa. I did manage to prepare my dinner with left over fish - 6 oz Salmon, 3.5 oz shrimp, 1 can green beans, 2 TB butter, 2 TB avo mayo with 2 tsp brown spice mustard. To stay in my "eating window" this needs to be eaten soon.

I'm trying to stay in the "noon to 4:00" window, but I seem to be stretching that to 6:00 pm every other day, and weekends are more relaxed. Still it is a good long fasting time. I had lost 3 pounds when I first started this, then the waffles happened 2 nights in a row and the scale shot up 6 pounds. I'm still not down to the pre-waffle weight. It just amazes me how easily my body will gain. The waffle weight is likely just water/inflammation weight -- but the 3 times this past year that I increased calories to 1600-1800 daily --- I gained a total of 30 pounds and I have not been able to take it off. I'm hoping the IFing and cutting carbs will do the trick to get my body to realize its okay to shed the fat stores. Since I don't have the ability to do much moving right now - diet will have to be enough. I've read recently that losing weight is 80% diet and 20% movement - so there's that.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:47 am

Good work on the tummy issues.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:25 pm

Thanks, Rig! I always feel much better when I stay on the tight, clean diet. Its when I stray just a little that things go bad.

I have been sleeping better the past 3 nights, but I'm still waking feeling lethargic. I see NP in an hour and will hopefully come home with a sleeping aid Rx. I've have fought this for too long and I just need to do it.

My weight is still coming down, but its sure slow! A 6 pound gain in 2 days can take weeks to get rid of! Its so not fair.

Oldest sis is at moms now taking care of her papers for rent eval. She is coming here at 4:30 for dinner and a short visit.

First thing this morning I dove into the pile of bills that needed to paid, and logged work orders. So, for the moment, all the house and business bills are caught up - as is most of the business paperwork. I do need to file invoices and paid bills. My lease favorite chore in the office is filing. I usually put it off for a month and then sit for 30 minutes and get it done.

A friend of ours, same age as us, has decided to quit his job and pursue the marketing of a product he and his friend developed. Its called the Crackin Crab Cleaner. Its a great product if you love to crab! You can find it online at TealCrab.com The guy is in the video my good friend Tony. We've known each other since the 1st grade! He is my oldest friend in all the world! His wife is my friend with MS that comes over about every week for a nice long visit. Smile Anyway, I'm very excited for them! I'm not trying to sell the product - but just wanted to share it. Smile It all makes me wish we could find a buyer for the boat shop and get out of this crazy busy life! Well, hubby's crazy busy life. I so love the weekends when he's home! I guess I've said all this to say - gee, the little green monster of jealously is riding my back today. I would love it if hubby could find a buyer, and then pursue something that is less all consuming! He leaves home at 6:30 am and gets home at around 7:00 pm. Plus he almost always works Saturdays from 7:00 - noon. He lives, eats and breathes boats. The ideal thing would be for a buyer to buy us out and then want hubby to remain on staff for a few more years. Or not - maybe he would want to go work someplace else until we retire.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:34 pm

How did your NP visit go?

Can’t get fresh crab here. Sad
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:55 pm

NP visit went well. After much discussion about my sleep habits she decided we need to try a bladder sensitivity medication before going to the sleeping meds. So I will be trying oxybutynin for a few weeks to see how it works. As for the fatigue - she says it to be expected given the stressors in my life right now - mostly being the heat (I'm very heat sensitive), and the concern about my health and future. She said with my fibro + EBV + CMV + Roseola, my immune system is just being taxed to the max. She hopes when this heat wave is over and I start to sleep better with this med or sleeping meds that I will start to have more energy again. Fingers and toes crossed!!!! She asked to give a number between 1-10 to my energy level --- I had to say 4-5 at best. She did say I will feel better one way or another as we work through these issues........... however, I need to accept that life will never be what it once was and that I am in management mode NOT fix/cure/beat/conquer mode. That was hard to hear. She wants me to be very aware of what things in my life and environment are stressors and adjust accordingly.

I talked to her about my diet. She wants me to very low carb, both for health reasons (cholesterol, fasting glucose levels) but also for weight loss. So - she said 20 grams of carb MAX. She said I didn't need to count calories or macros beyond carbs, but said if it makes me more comfortable than it isn't hurting anything.

Sis is here - will write more later.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 17 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10 ... 17  Next