Tomi found her way - and the quest continues.

Page 20 of 21 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Go down

Re: Tomi found her way - and the quest continues.

Post by Lovebird on Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:16 am

Tomi wrote:What do you all think? Testing wouldn't hurt - well, just our checking account balance. I see the potential for great benefits if the test/results/suggestions do what they claim they can do. Better digestion, better absorption, more energy, weight loss, better quality of life.

Instead of the total package you could get the Silver one for 99$... gives you 50$ off the Viome test plus the additional episode 10/Q&A/2 guides (resources & food) and transcripts. Might provide you with some more useful information, while only costing 49$ if you're going to take the test? FWIW
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:48 am

Good thoughts. Lovebird! Smile .  More to consider.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:26 am

I think you have a good plan. If DH is on board and the NP, then what the heck. Definitely cannot hurt, as you say other than your bank balance.

Hugs as you make your plan.

Sorry to hear the DS issue woke again. However, at least you know he is alive and kicking. I think you are right in giving him his space. The ball is in his court and since he has heard from DH, he knows you still care.

Hugs
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:13 pm

Well - my friend A was just here and I talked to her about the series and what to purchase. She convinced me to go for the whole shebang because of the way I love to gather as much information as possible. So I got out my CC and bought it. It said it will take 6-8 weeks to get all the materials - so I assume the $75 coupon is a part of that package. That means not ordering the test until I have the materials. So, I guess it could be early spring before I would have my test results.

Until then I am going to incorporate some of what I have learned. I'm going to work harder at getting more solid sleep by not letting my brain go to stressful places at bedtime. I'm going to start incorporating more colorful foods into my diet (this morning I added 1/4 cup frozen blueberries to my protein drink). I will add a page to my excel health tracking file that will be my EAT THE RAINBOW spreadsheet. I am also going to get on my recumbent bike every day for a few minutes.

I had an epiphany while watching the final video - while they were talking about alleviating stress - it dawned on me that I worry about my son all the time - and I have every since he was about 4 years old and I began to see that he has a different way of interacting (or not) with the world. So - this time away from him - although difficult - could be a very healing time for me as well. I can see that my chronic worry over his well being probably has contributed to my ill health. So - letting go of my worry in that area will be a daily challenge but I think I can do it.

The quest continues............
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:06 pm

Spreadsheet done - ready to start checking off the boxes. I have my rainbow boxes, plus my bike boxes. So, here we go. I did 3 minutes just now --- I will add a minute each day until I can comfortably do 20-30 minutes a day.

I've eaten blueberries and grapes (only 2) - so thats blue and indigo - plus 1/2 an avocado (green). Dinner is keto pizza and a salad, so I will get the green (baby spinach), the orange (carrot). I will have to work on having fruits and veggies to complete the rainbow.

I'm not so sure this will result in a 50 carbs or less diet --- but I will do my best. Maybe eating the rainbow is more important than trying to do keto for right now. But if I can keep the carbs close to 50 that will be great!
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:01 pm

I would say add a minute every 3-4 days if not every week. It has been a while since you did sustained activity and if you push it too fast I'm afraid you will get too fatigued to continue which would lead to disappointment.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by marcadav on Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:12 pm

I agree with Pedidoc. The first goal should be to make movement a daily routine. With that in mind, getting 3 minutes each day should be more important than adding time. If you manage 3 minutes every day for a week, then add a minute for the next week.

You want to build a routine and stamina over time. If you try to increase stamina too quickly you risk never making the movement routine.

marcadav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:10 am

As I was reading your post, I thought the same as Pedi and Marcadav. My DS and DD and DDIL who are all trainers will tell you that you only add 10% a week. So next week would be 3.3 min. As they have said, the movement is more important and than the length right now.

What I love is the excitement in your voice. I want to hear this continue, so taking things slow will help with that. Slow and steady wins the race as they say.

Hugs
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:07 pm

Pedidoc wrote:I would say add a minute every 3-4 days if not every week.  It has been a while since you did sustained activity and if you push it too fast I'm afraid you will get too fatigued to continue which would lead to disappointment.

marcadav wrote:I agree with Pedidoc. The first goal should be to make movement a daily routine. With that in mind, getting 3 minutes each day should be more important than adding time. If you manage 3 minutes every day for a week, then add a minute for the next week.

You want to build a routine and stamina over time. If you try to increase stamina too quickly you risk never making the movement routine.

Narrowminded wrote:As I was reading your post, I thought the same as Pedi and Marcadav.  My DS and DD and DDIL who are all trainers will tell you that you only add 10% a week. So next week would be 3.3 min.  As they have said, the movement is more important and than the length right now.

What I love is the excitement in your voice.  I want to hear this continue, so taking things slow will help with that.  Slow and steady wins the race as they say.

Hugs

Thank you all for that advice. I do agree, and was thinking maybe I was being too aggressive in my plan. I will go slow.

I'm trying to remember to track in MFP - I took about 3 weeks off. Yesterday looks like this:
Calories 1339,
Carbs 50,
Net Carbs 41,
Fat 95,
Protein 78.

I am feeling more confident that my health will improve over the coming year - with the new tools in my pocket. I think since the last time I saw NP (in August) my emotional state has been slowly declining. Hearing her say that I must change my thinking to "management mode" was very difficult. I'm not a quitter! I refuse to believe that my current state of health is unchangeable. She says I can't "FIX" this - but I don't agree. If all that I have learned about gut health is true - then I can fix this!! I just need to rebuild my gut microbiome and that is done by feeding it healthy whole foods and giving it the needed supplements for healing. My gut health has been sick for my entire life - but that doesn't mean its broken - it means I need to nurse it back to health. I know things are turning around because my digestion is better. I am able to eat a large salad now and not have bathroom troubles the next day. That is huge! I have a long way to go - but I am confident that I will overcome.

If Dr. Wahl, who has MS, can go from being in a zero gravity wheel chair to hiking and riding her bike again by doing nothing but FEEDING her body, then I can most certainly overcome my fatigue and fibromyalgia, and my body can find its healthy weight again.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:31 pm

If Dr. Wahl, who has MS, can go from being in a zero gravity wheel chair to hiking and riding her bike again by doing nothing but FEEDING her body, then I can most certainly overcome my fatigue and fibromyalgia, and my body can find its healthy weight again.

So true! Great inspiration and motivation.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:41 pm

I slept incredibly well last night! Asleep at 10:30, up to pee at 11:30 - then I remember nothing until 5:45 when hubby was saying goodbye - went back to sleep and woke up at 8:00 with hubby telling me he was there to get the trailer. (our shop is about to be torn down to make way for the new one). So - a very good nights sleep. I'd love to say I'm full of energy - but its okay. I know that my body received a good deal of restorative sleep and I'm sure there was some rebuilding and healing that happened somewhere! Smile

Today I am making the stock for Turkey soup for canning. I'm not sure yet if we will do the Chicken Soup also.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:45 pm

Pedidoc wrote:If Dr. Wahl, who has MS, can go from being in a zero gravity wheel chair to hiking and riding her bike again by doing nothing but FEEDING her body, then I can most certainly overcome my fatigue and fibromyalgia, and my body can find its healthy weight again.

So true!  Great inspiration and motivation.

Absolutely!!! I wish my friend A would get on board with this. She is familiar with Dr. Wahl and the success she's had, but it has been difficult for her to be strict with her diet. She went vegan for a while - about 3 months, but wasn't feeling good on it so decided to go back to paleo - but she isn't doing well. She is too easily swayed by family members to eat junk food like cake and breads and ice cream.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:23 pm

My friend A was just here - we made a pinky pact on cutting and adding things to our diets to help heal. Smile

I just put my 3 minutes on the bike. I hate to say this - but even 3 minutes was draining! How can I possibly be so terribly weak and have no stamina? It is embarrassing.

I was going to try to get to the store today - but hubby said he'll stop after work. He's so sweet.

The turkey stock is making the house smell like Thanksgiving. Smile

I just read over the 9 points in my sig. I still believe strongly in every single one of them and know if I continue to work towards those goals then I will definitely find good things.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:28 pm

I hope you and your friend gave each other permission to call the other if you are feeling weak or "bullied" (and yes that is what her family is doing) into eating something bad for you.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:54 am

Tomi - good for you getting in your bike ride and making turkey broth. You are doing this!! The sleep was awesome as well.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:38 pm

Well - we didn't really talk about calling each other - but thats a very good idea. A's family doesn't really bully her, but they don't support her effort to eat healthy for the sake of her MS. I don't think they understand it all and I don't think she really talks to them about how eating really health can help her get better. Her daughter is only 23 and kinda self-absorbed. Her husband just eats poorly - he's a meat and potato man and has no interest in eating healthy. So, she really has no support at home. She still eats really well, all things considered. The family is just a bad influence. Kinda like mine - only I talk to hubby all the time about the need to eat clean and healthy --- but I don't think he totally buys into it cuz he doesn't understand the science.

Hubby finished off the chicken soup canning this morning before I got out of bed. We had everything prepped yesterday and the broth cooked for a full 24 hours. I'm sure it will all taste wonderful!

Its not looking like my son will be coming for Christmas. But there is still time for him to pull his head out of his............. well you know. I've gone from worry and heartache to being pissed off. It is very immature of him to just shut me out instead of talking things through. I still have no idea what caused this.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:33 pm

Canning 2018 is done. Final count ........... 16 dozen jars. I think we did 10 pints of candied jalepeno's and 24 pints of tuna. The rest is quarts. We had about 8 casualties, not counted in the final. Hubby and I will have plenty of leftovers after the kids take their 2 dozen quarts each, plus some pints.

We have some chicken broth left and I'm going to make a soup this week.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:01 pm

Sounds wonderful. The kids should love all that food
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:29 pm

The kids do appreciate the meals! Smile

We are having roof leaks again. UGH! This dumb old house!!! We had a new roof put on about 5 years ago. We think the problem is the fact that the ceiling in the front of the house is vaulted - and the roof was built with 2x6s instead of 2x12s as it should be. So every time the roof is walked on - for cleaning or to put up christmas lights (what ever) the roof flexes causing the roofing nails to pop loose. Its a theory anyway. If we can find a way to fix this problem at least for about 5 years - until we can save the money for the remodel - that would be awesome. Otherwise we are going to be looking at a refinance to do the work sooner. Like I've said in the past - this old house needs a LOT of work.

Tonight is the bible study Christmas party - White Elephant exchange and dinner, and the wives are invited. It is always fun. I have the beef.beans.bacon casserole done. Now I just need to shower and get myself to the shop to pick up hubby at 5:30. Not sure what I'm going to eat - they are doing a Prime Rib and its all pot luck. There is rarely anything that is good for me to eat so I usually just take a very small portion of things are sorta okay. A small slice of prime rib, a small bit of my casserole and a little salad. I always skip dessert. I hope I have an extra measure of energy to get through the evening. Maybe I will sleep extra good tonight! Smile

I have been slowly gaining weight again. I have no idea why. But its pissing me off! 214 today. right back up to my all time heaviest. I ordered a bigger size jeans and coat yesterday. UGH! Why can't I be one of the sickly people who can't gain weight? I get to feel like crap AND be fat. Lucky me! Sorry - but I'm really getting tired of this.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by marcadav on Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:45 pm

Tomi, please stay off the scales. Your body is working hard to heal. It is getting used to actually getting the nutrients it hasn't been getting for a long time.

It can be quite normal to gain during this adaptation period. Once your body gets healthier and trusts the process it will be in a place where it can achieve a composition that represents the health it's found.

This will NOT happen overnight or in a linear fashion. Worrying about your weight only adds stress you and your body don't need.

The other possibility for the scale increasing may be the fact that you have started using your bike. It's not uncommon for the body to retain water when starting a new exercise program

I know it sucks having to buy new larger clothes. I suggest you see it as a sign your body is healing. I also, strongly, suggest you do not tweak things, or restrict food intake, in response to the number you saw on the box you stood on.

marcadav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:51 pm

thanks, Marcadav Smile No definitely not changing anything. I've committed to stay the course at least until I get the results of the Viome test. Then I will make the suggested changes.

I'm just grumbling - this won't set me back or cause me to give up.

As for the weight issue --- scales or not the weight gain is obvious on my body. The number is just a number. I could have just as easily said - I can't fit into my size 16 jeans anymore and have had to buy size 18. Or my XL coat no longer zips over my tummy comfortably and I've had to buy a plus size coat. Scale or cloths size or just the image in the mirror --- my body is bigger. My face is puffy - everything is bigger. I've gained back 30 pounds over the past 2 years. With no logical reason for the gain.

I'd like to say its because of the "process". Or the bike or whatever it is. Good reasons or bad - I'm not happy with the gain.

Its just a bad day on the emotional scale for me. I'm tired (which never helps anything), my gut is a mess again today - and I have to face an evening out with hubby and the 24 other people at the bible study thing tonight. I'm not comfortable in my body. I'm very happy with the way I look. I have nothing to wear. I want to climb back into bed and pull the covers over my head.

Its just a pity party day ----- I'll get over it. I always do. I'm on a constant roller coaster - physically and emotionally.

I have to go tonight. So I'll go take a shower - put on some make up and fix my hair - put on some stretchy pants and try to muster up some confidence and put a smile on my face.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:53 pm

Okay - pity party over. I'm showered and dressed - good thing this party isn't a dress up affair Smile I have on a new black pull over shirt and a pair of comfortable stretchy blue pants. My hair and make-up are done. I feel presentable.

On days like this - I am so very appreciative of my sweet husband - he could care less what I'm wearing or if I have on make-up, or what my hair is doing. He just loves me - in the raw. I'm still not used to it - even after nearly 19 years together! I still carry the damage done by the expectations of my ex. I have made great progress in healing from that life - but I still have more to go. Maybe that is why I'm still so hard on myself - I still put far too much emphasis on the exterior. I will need to work on this.

tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:00 pm

Tomi have the prime rib and enjoy it. You can also have a nice salad now. I'd avoid the casserole, but that is my opinion.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:25 pm

thanks, Pedi Smile

I'm wondering if my tummy ache today is from the 1/2 bottle of kombucha I drank yesterday. Maybe too acidic? The video series stresses adding fermented things to feed the good bacteria in the gut. But maybe its just too soon? Or it isn't good for me? Not sure. Maybe I should wait until I get the results of my Viome test before adding much back into my diet????
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by marcadav on Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:13 pm

It may be the quantity of the kombucha. Wait a while then try again. This time with a smaller amount.

If half a bottle was 8oz. try 2oz and see how that goes. If that goes well, do that amount a couple times a week. If you can work up to 2oz every day, then increase the amount and repeat the process.

I think it would be helpful to think in terms of baby steps when it comes to all things being implemented and expected.

marcadav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 21 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21  Next