Tomi found her way - and the quest continues.

Page 17 of 21 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Go down

Re: Tomi found her way - and the quest continues.

Post by Pedidoc on Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:48 pm

Measure out the cashews into snack size zip locks.

I just know how easy it is to keep putting off the "maintenance" exams and before you know it several years have passed.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:22 am

tomi1000 wrote:
Oh, I know it's not a new concept.  I remember when Adkins came out.  But the way Leanne explains it all in very easy to understand ways, with graphs and tables, it just finally sets my mind at ease that I'm doing the right thing in the right way.  I think I've read too many horror stories about people being taken to the hospital over severe electrolyte imbalances - it had me a bit worried that if I wasn't doing this right I would be causing more damage to my already messed up body.  And the hair loss certainly didn't help!  I understand now that I've just been eating too little protein.  I remember you suggesting this book but I'm really not a carb addict so didn't think it would be the right fit for me.  I have been Paleo for 7 years - so naturally I'm already fairly low carb.  If I hit a 100 carbs in a day that is a really high carb day for me, and those days are really rare - like maybe once a month at best.  Prior to doing Keto my carbs were 50-75 daily.  But I do appreciate the suggestion.  

I never suggested you'd buy another book... although I think you'd be better off with a no grain approach.

What I did suggest was for you to take most of your carbs at dinner, eat more protein, not to undereat, eat more veggies, watch your electrolytes, and cut out your trigger foods like cashews, as you tend to overeat them; and shared reliable info that is freely available on the interwebs...

Marcadav has given you lots of useful information as well, going back years. She knows what she's talking about, having been there herself.
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:47 pm

Narrowminded wrote:Tomi I am so glad you are finding the book helpful.  I knew with the options to get to the same place, something would be good for you.

It is putting my worries to rest because it is a clear guide on how to go about doing this - and lots of "if this happens" advice.

Pedidoc wrote:Measure out the cashews into snack size zip locks.

I just know how easy it is to keep putting off the "maintenance" exams and before you know it several years have passed.

Smile I kinda already do that - I measure out 1 or 2 ounces in a bowl - thats normally my mid-day nibble. But by days end, I don't have the same level of control. I will add - my macro's are still good - even when eating the cashews - I don't measure, but I have a good eye for how much I've nibbled up. I always keep track and even when I eat "too many" cashews I'm still good - actually it brings my calorie count up to what you all would say is a healthy number.

I won't let the maintenance stuff go by the wayside - I just need to not stress about it right now. I promise.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:05 pm

Lovebird wrote:I never suggested you'd buy another book... although I think you'd be better off with a no grain approach.

What I did suggest was for you to take most of your carbs at dinner, eat more protein, not to undereat, eat more veggies, watch your electrolytes, and cut out your trigger foods like cashews, as you tend to overeat them; and shared reliable info that is freely available on the interwebs...

Marcadav has given you lots of useful information as well, going back years. She knows what she's talking about, having been there herself.

* I am grain free. Oh except for rice. I do eat rice. I'd so hate to cut that from my diet - but if it is a bad food for me then I will. I also eat the bulk of my carbs at dinner.

* My calories fluctuate between 1300 and 1800.

* I'm trying to eat more veggies, as I'm trying to add more salad. Last night I had 4 cups of broc and cauli with dinner.

* There is a recipe in Leanne's book for an electrolyte drink, I'm going to start making that when I can go to the store and get the ingredients.

* I did cut the cashews for a couple weeks --- but, and I know this is going to sound odd, when I eat cashews I have better BMs. For some reason it adds bulk. The entire time I was not eating then, I had D again. And I wasn't eating anything that would have caused that. I've tested the theory about 3 times now - cashews = firmer BMs, no cashews = very loose stools. ???? I don't know why, but I know its happening. Yes, Marcadav is a wealth of good information, and I really am trying to follow her suggestions. The consensus of the "tribe" here is .......... find a path and stick with it. I'm really trying. It may not look like it to all of you - but you only "see" what I put in my journal. If you could follow me around all day long you'd see that I really am trying to do what you all are telling me to do. I know you all want to see me get "well", and I so appreciate all your advice.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:47 pm

I suppose all diet try outs are experiments.  Mine could be a lot better.  I'm a stress eater.  Bu,t I also like my energy and lately need it for the creative muscle I'm trying to grow.   The lower cab and vast space between meals are great for me mentally.  I, also try to do a 12 hour IF.   Sort of do this naturally as I don'i eat breakfast in the mornings.

Walkiing is so therapeutic for me.  Just love it.  One thing I remember from an article is that to grow mitochondria you need to give it a reason to exist  - Movement! More you move the more mitos are needed the more are crated to meet the load.  Using energy begets energy.   I always try to keep in mind when I feel tired and blah and don't want to move….  Of course, you must measure out what you can do under your circumstances.

Hang in there with your diet.
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:27 pm

Thank you, HFF Smile Yes, like it was said by Lovebird and others......... a body in motion stays in motion. Good old physics!

I'm so sorry you tend to stress eat - so many people do that! Food is comforting and the act of eating feel very nurturing and safe and comfortable. Especially the sweets and the typical comfort foods.

My energy supply circumstances are complicated - my mitochondria are underfed due to poor nutrient absorption from my messed up gut - Sad I run out of steam very quickly! and I don't know if that part will ever improve. I sure hope so - but there really is no way to know for sure. The feeling of total exhaustion is a daily event for me. I can sleep for 10 hours and get up feeling like I didn't sleep at all - I'm not sleepy, just weak and tired to my bones. But when I feel I have a little more energy than normal I definitely get moving. Yesterday I did 4 loads of laundry and actually got it all put away again! Smile The day before I cleaned all the leaves out of the fish pond. A walk to the mailbox is about 300 steps and I usually do that twice a day - plus all the regular walking around the house. I might sit a lot - but I do make myself get up and move around the house at least every hour. NP suggests I do very gentle yoga - and taking a walk if I'm able. Honestly - I'm afraid to go walk around the block alone because when energy tank runs dry I feel like I could literally just fall down. I get flushed and dizzy, and my brain gets very foggy. Thats why I don't drive unless I know its a really good day.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:23 pm

Today is step daughter #1's 29th birthday. Hubby and SD #2 are going to her place to take her to a movie and dinner.

Sleep was pretty bad last night. I was stressing over stuff I have no control over and just couldn't fall asleep. I got up at 2 and took more Skullcap but it didn't help. I fell asleep around 4:30 - slept until 9:30.

I just watched The Princess Switch on Netflix Smile cute movie - and you know, so sappy and romantic, and ended with the typical "happily ever after". Fun to watch.

Dinner will be the same as yesterday.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:48 pm

Tomi, have you done a sleep study? I ask because you state you "sleep 10 hours but wake up exhausted." It might be worth looking into.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:12 pm

Yup, I had a sleep study several years ago - no apnea. That was a relief - cuz I really didn't want to wear a C-pap. NP says it's normal considering the issues I'm dealing with.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:54 am

Sorry you had a rough night.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:51 pm

Slept okay once I could get to sleep. I'm not used to sleeping alone. Hubby let me know about an hour and a half ago that they were hitting the road - so he should be home in the next hour. Smile

tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:35 am

Sorry you had another tough night.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:57 am

I know that feeling, Tomi. I always sleep "lighter" when DH is not at home and I have an alarm and 4 dogs. Laughing
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:20 am

I slept 11 hours last night! I wish hours asleep = energy stores.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:41 pm

this is how much hair I am losing every time I wash it. Every other day! I sent this picture to NP - she says its most likely stress. I realized then that I started Keto at the same time my relationship with my son took a turn for the worst. Perhaps the hair loss is due to the emotional stress and not keto. Will have to work on figuring out how to deal with this. I have wondered why keto would cause this - since I have been doing a fairly low carb diet for the past 7 years.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:47 pm

I would believe it could be stress. I had a very, very stressful job about 5 years ago. I had been doing that job for nearly 12 years. It started to get to me about 7 or 8 years into the job but I kept on with it despite knowing it was stressing me out. By year eleven my hair started to fall out like your picture. And I would have episodes of crying due to a trigger (similar to something I experienced at work every day). Anyway, long story short, I finally quit. And within a few months of quitting my hair stopped falling out. It took a full year to overcome the stress due to adrenal fatigue but it was pretty obvious, once I crossed over to the other side (a relaxed state) that the stress had been far worse than I realized.

Hang in there....if this is stress then you really, really have to find a way to overcome or deal with it or it will ruin you. It's a terrible beast.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:03 pm

Thanks, Ontario. Its a good thing you were able to leave that job!

I'm also wondering if this stress is keeping me in a bad place with my health struggles. I have been trying to "soldier on" but if I am completely honest with myself and you all --- I'm a real mess. This situation is weighing very heavy on my mind and heart. I can't fix anything with my son so I need to find a way to put my mind and heart at peace. I lay awake for hours trying to stop thinking about why he has cut me out of his life.

I need to let it go. He told me he needed to take care of himself --- well, I need to do the same.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:36 pm

Tomi - I will be praying about you and your DS. Sometimes there are things we just cannot change. We have to let go and let God. I know that can sound trite, but it has definitely helped me over the years with Brian.

Like Ontario, I didn’t realize exactly how stressed I was, until I got some meds to help.

Hang in there.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:49 pm

Narrowminded wrote:Tomi - I will be praying about you and your DS.  Sometimes there are things we just cannot change.  We have to let go and let God.  I know that can sound trite, but it has definitely helped me over the years with Brian.

Like Ontario, I didn’t realize exactly how stressed I was, until I got some meds to help.

Hang in there.

It doesn't sound trite at all. "Let go and Let God". Smile It's got me through a lot of painful times in my life. Thank you for the reminder - sometimes when we need God the most, we forget to draw on His strength and comfort.

I spent a bit of time doing a guided meditation earlier today - it felt so good to get into that place of relaxation where there is no tension in the body. It made me realize how very stressed I have been - and how that stress is manifesting in my body. Unfortunately - hubby called before I got completely through the recording (Amazon Music) and he needed me to make a phone call about to one of our suppliers. So, it ended rather abruptly so I'm going to do some more of the guided meditations in a bit. Maybe tonight during hubby's bible study.

tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:24 pm

Personal victory! I figured out how to insert my signature for printing Quickbook checks! No more having to sign each check I print! Smile It was easy once I realized I just needed to enlarge my scanned in sig. Smile A normally sized sig transferred to a signature needing a magnifying glass to read it. Smile
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:35 pm

tomi1000 wrote:Personal victory!  I figured out how to insert my signature for printing Quickbook checks!  No more having to sign each check I print!  Smile  It was easy once I realized I just needed to enlarge my scanned in sig.  Smile  A normally sized sig transferred to a signature needing a magnifying glass to read it.  Smile  

Perseverance, good job!
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:44 am

Tomi wrote:The consensus of the "tribe" here is .......... find a path and stick with it. I'm really trying. It may not look like it to all of you - but you only "see" what I put in my journal. If you could follow me around all day long you'd see that I really am trying to do what you all are telling me to do. I know you all want to see me get "well", and I so appreciate all your advice.

*hugs* Didn't mean for my response to come over as harsh as it perhaps sounded/read to you. I know you're really trying to get well again and doing all you possibly can. Hope the issues with DS (as well as your stepdaughters if possible) will resolve. And you do sound lots better over time of journaling, even with the occasional step back (it's not like it's a straight line to health/weightloss, as much as we'd prefer that).

I really liked the info on the reverse therapy you shared. Not all of it, but it gives hope and I do believe there's a mental component to certain diseases, especially the 'perfectionist that is always there when needed and wants everyone to be happy, however forgets to take care of herself' and ends up with Hashi/Fibro or whatever... forcing the focus back to oneself.
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 am

Tomi - do tell about being able to print your sig on Quickbook checks. I could really use that. Never knew it was possible. I get that you have scanned it in, good but where did you put it so it shows up on the checks. Do tell. That would be huge for me as well.

Happy to hear you got in some good relaxing guided meditation. What a difference when you really realize how stressed you are/have been. I can attest to that one personally.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:34 pm

https://community.intuit.com/articles/1765753-create-and-use-electronic-signature-for-checks-and-paychecks

Here's the instructions for putting an electronic sig in Quickbooks. The important part is getting the sig the right size. So I wrote my name on a peice a paper - then scanned it. What I needed to do was enlarge the scanned sig by using the crop feature on the scanned image. Then just follow the instructions. I printed a previously printed check on a piece of blank white paper to make sure the sig was the correct size and in the right place by then holding it over a blank check and looking at it through a back light. Smile Hope this helps you!
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:59 pm

Not looking forward to the holidays this year. Sad Thanksgiving is only days away. Hubby sent my son a text with info on our big family dinner on Saturday, he also told him he was welcome to come down on Thursday as it would be just the two of us at home. There has been no response.

Going to do the meditation again. It really helped. There is one to do just before sleep also. I added it to my music list on my phone so I can play it when I go to bed.

Didn't sleep well last night and I'm really dragging today. I was going to do bills - but just don't have a clear head. I think I'm going to take a nap. I have some really nice music playing - kinda like what you'd hear while getting a message or acupuncture. I like Amazon Music that comes with Prime. Smile
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 21 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next