Tomi found her way - and the quest continues.

Page 16 of 17 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Go down

Re: Tomi found her way - and the quest continues.

Post by tomi1000 on Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:30 pm

Thanks, V Smile I know I grumble and groan a lot in my journal --- but I do enjoy the life I have. My husband is a doll and loves me very much. He is patient and understanding of my limitations. I have wonderful friends as well. I'm just sad that I can't get out and DO stuff. But, you're right - focusing on that side just makes me sad. Thanks for the nudge.

I guess I didn't realize you have such a number of the health concerns yourself. I new about the lymphoma and the celiacs only. Sad

I tend to dump my emotional baggage here cuz I don't want to dump it on hubby. I'm not always so frustrated and negative, it just comes out here. I guess I feel safe expressing it here cuz y'all can just scroll on by if you don't want to read it Wink I will work on counting my blessings and better expressing that side of it here as well.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by marcadav on Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:46 pm

Tomi, I want to remind you that you were doing and sounding better when you were getting some movement in every day. I'd like to encourage you to get back into that routine. Even if it's only 5 minutes a day.

I know if I let the aches, pains, and/or limitations I have stop me I would never "exercise". Instead it has become as routine as brushing my teeth and I feel better afterwards. I haven't missed a 10,000 step day since I got back from Poland in September 2017.

I know it getting cold here so walking outside might not be fun or doable. However, I seem to remember you having a treadmill or exercise bike you can use.

marcadav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:14 pm

marcadav wrote:Tomi, I want to remind you that you were doing and sounding better when you were getting some movement in every day. I'd like to encourage you to get back into that routine. Even if it's only 5 minutes a day.

I know if I let the aches, pains, and/or limitations I have stop me I would never "exercise". Instead it has become as routine as brushing my teeth and I feel better afterwards. I haven't missed a 10,000 step day since I got back from Poland in September 2017.

I know it getting cold here so walking outside might not be fun or doable. However, I seem to remember you having a treadmill or exercise bike you can use.

I was feeling good when I was walking every day. I haven't felt the energy needed to get out and do that daily since all that heat of the summer sucked all my energy dry! I have walked a few times since the weather has turned cooler, but my days with enough energy to do this have been few and far between. When I do feel like its going to be a good day for movement - I use it up catching up on bookkeeping and housework. But I do know that I need to be trying more.

The treadmill stopped working 2 years ago and we gave it away, but I still have the recumbent bike. Yes --- even a few minutes daily would be wise.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:19 pm

Are you still doing your affirmations?  I think that helped with the negative feelings.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:16 am

Kathi - I am. However, I need to renew and refresh them. Reciting the same things over and over and over can make them lose their impact.

I will get my feet under me again......... I just need a little time. I think finding a good base to my dietary goals will help. I just got off balance with the struggles of keto flu-ish stuff and hair loss. I got very overwhelmed and frustrated. I want to get back at it. I'm going to set my goals over the weekend, get my feet under me again emotionally and Monday will be a new start.

I listened to the podcast on the primal blueprint. It was very good. The doctors take on the best way to do the keto diet is to stay very low carb and to IF consistently. She says protein is important to have enough, and fat is only to keep from being hungry. She says you won't produce your own ketones (burn your own fat) if you are constantly providing a steady supply of dietary fat. So the "eat all the fat" mentality is wrong for weight loss. But, I'm not focusing on weight loss right now, I'm focusing on health. So - I'm thinking I will set my macros at 50 carbs, 85 protein and not measure fat. Hopefully I will feel good with this balance.

tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:54 am

Tomi - I have to agree that you were doing betting with a bit of movement each day. Remember the law of physics, an item at rest stays at rest, and item in motion stays in motion. The more you move, the more you’ll feel like moving. Even if that movement it just 5 min. It does become addictive.

With my situation, I could wind up sitting a lot, and I do sit more than I’d like. It is exactly why I make myself get 10,000 steps a day. Then when they start piling up, you don’t want to ruin the streak. I know you can’t do 10,000 at this point, but maybe make a reasonable goal of 2000 or 3000 to hit each day. Then slowly increase.

Maybe you can ask for a fit bit for Christmas. It will beep at you to get 250 steps each hour, if you haven’t. That really is a small number of steps. If you set it for 10 hour of the day, you’ll have 2500 steps w/o trying. I have mine set for 13 hours. Basically so I cannot sit still for a whole hour, because I very well could.

Just some thoughts.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:32 am

Tomi: I still check MDA routinely to see the current daily updates, and primarily for the "Weekly Link Love" which is now on Monday. I have the PB blog as one of the rss downloads I get using the freebie Juice application. PB normally posts 2-3 times a week. I usually copy it off to my el-cheapo MP3 player and listen when away from PC.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:36 pm

Thank you all so much for the encouragement, suggestions and support. I will look into getting a Fit Bit.

Emotionally, I'm struggling this morning. Hubby is making hamburger curry to can - I'm just not feeling it. I just want to sleep. I'm teary today - which is not normal for me - but as he is canning for our kids I am reminded that my son has shut me out since July 4th and I don't even know if I will be seeing over the holidays. Hubby told me to take it my own pace - step in and help only if I feel up to it.

tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:36 pm

tomi1000 wrote:Thank you all so much for the encouragement, suggestions and support.  I will look into getting a Fit Bit.  

Emotionally, I'm struggling this morning.  Hubby is making hamburger curry to can - I'm just not feeling it.  I just want to sleep.  I'm teary today - which is not normal for me - but as he is canning for our kids I am reminded that my son has shut me out since July 4th and I don't even know if I will be seeing over the holidays.  Hubby told me to take it my own pace - step in and help only if I feel up to it.  

Tomi, while I understand about DS (if you remember, I've had no contact with my 3rd son for over a year) please remember that:
1. It is nothing you have done
2. You raised him where he is independent (maybe too much, but still Great Job, Mom)
3. You have no control over his feelings
Believe me, I know it is hard.  We have no idea where 3rd son is and how he is doing, as he left where he was staying and will not respond to DH.  Extend the invitation for the holidays and the ball is in his court.  If he chooses not to participate and you want, pack up his jars and drop them off at his place, if it is close enough.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:24 pm

Thanks, Kathi Smile I'm so sorry your DS is doing this too. I was wondering how long its been since you've had any contact with him. I appreciate the kind words and advice. I hope both our sons come back soon.

I went through a 3 year period about 25 years ago when I had no contact with my mom. It was during my counseling time and I just needed to take the time away from her to deal with my childhood hurts.

I know I can't do anything about this - and I didn't "make" him feel any certain way. We all choose to feel things. He's a grown man - and if he chooses to stay away I can't do anything about it. I can be logical about it most of the time but there are times when I just need "feel" how his choices impact me.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:17 pm

received the Leanne Vogal book today. I'm looking through it while watching the Seahawks. Told hubby that tomorrow I'm back to my strict diet and low carb. I've kinda taken the weekend off low carb. But still all clean and healthy food. Carbs running right at 100 per day. :/ I needed a few days to just not really care too much. I'm back at it tomorrow. I will decide for sure where to put my macro goals after I do some more reading today. But, I think I will follow the guidelines of the Dr. Cat on the PB podcast. She seemed to really know what she talking about - and she is a doctor - not just someone who wrote a book. I might look into getting her book.

I'm not even going to step on the scale tomorrow. It doesn't matter. I'm sure I won't like what I see anyway.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:30 am

Tomi - Leanne is a nutritionist. They get much more schooling in nutrition than physicians do. But make your choice, after you have read Leanne book. I have no idea what Dr. Cat’s rec’s are so I’m probably speaking out of turn.

Glad to hear you are totally back at it today.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:12 pm

Yes, back at it! Smile Feeling ready emotionally and prepared mentally.

I'm reading the book now. The main thing that stuck with me from the podcast with Dr. Cate Shanahan was the part about eating loads of fat. It makes sense, and goes along with the other keto guidelines that fat is for replacing calories lost from cutting carbs and not going overboard with protein. I think in a nutshell it comes down to:

1. Keep carbs low, and that is a subjective term
2. Eat sufficient protein to maintain the body's needs (0.6-0.8 grams per pound of lean body weight)
3. Eat fat to keep the hunger monster at bay

So I will only be tracking carbs and protein.

The IFing seems to be the common teaching of everyone. I'm going to shoot for the noon - 6:00 pm eating window.

tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:16 pm

DAY 1 KETO:

First meal:  3 oz ground turkey, 1 ounce bacon, avo mayo/mustard dressing.

Second meal: 4 oz Salmon, 3.5 oz shrimp, 1 bag frozen broc/cauli, 1 cup rice, 1 oz cashews, butter, avo mayo/mustard dressing

Carbs - 57
Protein - 87

EDIT: Nix the cashews - add fat.

Last edited by tomi1000 on Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:15 pm

I can highly recommend a wearable tracker - the reminder to get up and move is invaluable. When I have been sitting (like this morning) I get up and walk a bit, and also drink a glass of water. Also, the emphasis is on movement and sleep and not on weight, although you can set it any way you want.
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:06 pm

Thanks, TW. I have been looking at them - so many to choose from!
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:31 pm

My Costco order didn't get delivered as scheduled today - so nix the cashews off today's food list. I added some fat calories instead.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:19 pm

DAY 2 KETO:

First meal:

ground turkey, bacon, avo mayo/mustard

Snack:

1 ounce cashews

Second meal:

Salmon, shrimp, rice, butter

Keeping it simple. But need to get veggies on the menu. I had some ground turkey that needed to be used, so doing that instead of my noon protein drink with powdered greens.

My gut is off. Not idea why. I've eaten nothing that would cause it - must be just a bad stretch again. Had to cancel my mammogram and well women exam that were scheduled for this week. I'm not going to bother rescheduling until I have confidence in my gut behaving itself. I've already gone 2 years since my last appointments. I'm not even going to think about it for now.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:04 pm

Oh my goodness - why didn't I buy this book sooner? NM - I'm so sorry I forgot you told me to get this book. It spells it all so completely. So far - on page 49 it tells me right what to do. Daily Fat Burner (Path 3): carb up evenings. Its just what I do naturally - my first meal is always protein heavy, my second meal is when I eat my carbs. That is so perfect for me, and the "who it's good for" is me to a tee. I'm feeling more comfortable about eating this way. I did the Profile and it confirmed that I should start there. Smile I am setting my macro goals at 50 carbs, 90 protein and fat to keep me satisfied and not hungry.

I'm reading on.......... hopeful again that I may be on the right path to regaining my health.

Hubby was asked to give a talk at the 50+ Senior Center tonight - on winterizing your boat. He did this about 10 years ago and I went with him. I was very proud of him - but seriously bored! A room full of elderly gentlemen with less than stellar hygiene - all very kind, and some wanting to get a bit too friendly with me. I opted out of going this time. Wink So - I have had all day to myself. Done some desk work, organizing and will pay bills tomorrow. I filed a stack of paid bill stubs and invoices.

It is time to start getting ready for end of year decisions - and tax prep. Not my favorite time of year. The decisions about bonuses and such make me nervous. I have to make sure I am sending out the 1099s, and giving all the correct info to the accountant. This year - we have a new accountant - as my cousin retired and sold his business to a long time friend and associate. So, it will mean getting a new guy up to speed on our business. And of course, I have to think about going to his office, and being well enough to do so. Things most people don't even think about. My life is easier without appointments and commitments. It gives me things to stress about.

tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:41 pm

tomi1000 wrote:.My gut is off.  Not idea why.  I've eaten nothing that would cause it - must be just a bad stretch again.  Had to cancel my mammogram and well women exam that were scheduled for this week.  I'm not going to bother rescheduling until I have confidence in my gut behaving itself.  I've already gone 2 years since my last appointments.  I'm not even going to think about it for now.  

Reschedule!! You cannot put this off.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:11 am

Tomi wrote:Oh my goodness - why didn't I buy this book sooner? NM - I'm so sorry I forgot you told me to get this book. It spells it all so completely. So far - on page 49 it tells me right what to do. Daily Fat Burner (Path 3): carb up evenings. Its just what I do naturally - my first meal is always protein heavy, my second meal is when I eat my carbs. That is so perfect for me, and the "who it's good for" is me to a tee. I'm feeling more comfortable about eating this way. I did the Profile and it confirmed that I should start there. Smile I am setting my macro goals at 50 carbs, 90 protein and fat to keep me satisfied and not hungry.

It's not like it's a new concept... as a matter of fact the drs. Rachael and Richard Heller's book Carbohydrate Addict's Diet was released in 1993... plenty of the following lowcarb (and apparently keto) books are based (partly or whole) upon that one. I've read their book and therefore suggested it to you earlier, as my youngest sister faired much better with CAD, where Atkins would have been more difficult for her, also because of her Hashimoto's disease.

Hope this works for you.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:47 pm

Pedidoc wrote:Reschedule!! You cannot put this off.

I will......... just not in a panic over it.

Lovebird wrote:It's not like it's a new concept... as a matter of fact the drs. Rachael and Richard Heller's book Carbohydrate Addict's Diet was released in 1993... plenty of the following lowcarb (and apparently keto) books are based (partly or whole) upon that one. I've read their book and therefore suggested it to you earlier, as my youngest sister faired much better with CAD, where Atkins would have been more difficult for her, also because of her Hashimoto's disease.

Hope this works for you.

Oh, I know it's not a new concept. I remember when Adkins came out. But the way Leanne explains it all in very easy to understand ways, with graphs and tables, it just finally sets my mind at ease that I'm doing the right thing in the right way. I think I've read too many horror stories about people being taken to the hospital over severe electrolyte imbalances - it had me a bit worried that if I wasn't doing this right I would be causing more damage to my already messed up body. And the hair loss certainly didn't help! I understand now that I've just been eating too little protein. I remember you suggesting this book but I'm really not a carb addict so didn't think it would be the right fit for me. I have been Paleo for 7 years - so naturally I'm already fairly low carb. If I hit a 100 carbs in a day that is a really high carb day for me, and those days are really rare - like maybe once a month at best. Prior to doing Keto my carbs were 50-75 daily. But I do appreciate the suggestion.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:57 pm

I'm feeling pretty good today - although I haven't eaten yet, and that always gets my gut going. I'm not hungry so am waiting to eat. Its nearly 1 pm.

I'm sleeping better, but still need to reduce my evening liquid intake. I'm still up multiple time to use the bathroom between 11:30 and 2:30. Taking 10 mg of the oxybutinin just dries my mouth, nose and eyes out terribly so I will stay at 5 mg.

Hubby sat down next to me with the cashews last night............ needless to say, I ate far too many.

Food will be pretty much the same today.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:21 pm

KETO DAY 3:

First meal: ground turkey, bacon, avocado

Second meal: Salmon, brocolli, cauliflower, butter

Snack: cashews
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:40 pm

Tomi I am so glad you are finding the book helpful. I knew with the options to get to the same place, something would be good for you.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 17 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17  Next