Tomi found her way - and the quest continues.

Page 15 of 17 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Go down

Re: Tomi found her way - and the quest continues.

Post by tomi1000 on Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:42 pm

Hubby and I went down to the shop and I got the security system set up and our phone connected. Yeah me! Smile
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:52 am

Good job Tomi!
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:02 pm

small glitch in the security system. I'm getting motion detection notifications on my phone - when I shouldn't be, so there is a setting amiss. But........... hubby is not getting them - so there is something amiss with his phone settings. GRRRR.

We'll get it figured out eventually. Might need to call customer support. I will try to go down this afternoon and check settings. It makes no sense that hubby is not getting the notifications because all our settings match phone to phone. I need to study the manual today. I will download it on my desktop cuz its way faster than my laptop.

Castor oil on my hair............ up in a top bun. I sure hope this works.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:25 pm

We have a camera on our front porch. It will go off and send us notifications when the sun shifts and shadows start moving. Just a thought.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:43 pm

or the shrubs move in the wind
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:04 am

Gosh, I know how hard it is when you are going through so many issues. Hang in there. As your body heals form years of struggling it will release that weight when ready. I know I have energy issues. There are days that seem like setbacks, but, most likely the body decided today is a good day to detox and it will slow us down so it can do so. You are on a great diet, clean… it will happen.
Hope you get the glitches worked out of your alarm system.
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:21 am

Good luck with the alarm system.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:59 pm

ONTARIO wrote:We have a camera on our front porch. It will go off and send us notifications when the sun shifts and shadows start moving. Just a thought.

Pedidoc wrote:or the shrubs move in the wind

We bought a system that uses infra-red so it won't be triggered by anything not giving off a heat signature. Our last system did not have this feature and it would go off if it rained, or if there was a spider web in front of the camera -- any type of movement.

Heuristicfireflower wrote:Gosh, I know how hard it is when you are going through so many issues.   Hang in there.  As your body heals form years of struggling it will release that weight when ready.   I know I have energy issues.  There are days that seem like setbacks, but, most likely the body decided today is a good day to detox and it will slow us down so it can do so.   You are on a great diet, clean… it will happen.
Hope you get the glitches worked out of your alarm system.

Thank you, HFF!

Narrowminded wrote:Good luck with the alarm system.

I had a thought this morning - the system will only allow 2 users at a time. So I logged off my phone, but hubby says he's still not getting anything on his phone. He can view the cameras but isn't getting any movement notifications. I didn't get down there yesterday to look at the settings, and I likely won't get down there today. I got no notifications last night after closing and everyone went home - then this morning when people were walking around I started getting notifications again. But now I'm logged out, and I can't log back in without the device ID.

Not a good day for me. Yesterday was good and I got some housework done and all the bills paid. Today - its me and Netflix.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:37 pm

Been trying to set up the security system on my laptop via internet. I have done everything according to the manuals instructions - but it says the system is offline. So I'm not able to view. I have it on my phone and iPad. So - I think there is a glitch, or a step I'm on not doing right. I will have to investigate further......... but not right now cuz my brain is tired. The troubleshooting section is worthless. I might need to call tech support if I can't figure it out. I hate doing that. I get all flustered when they start telling me to do things.

I need to think about dinner........... I have chicken breast thawed, but how to prepare it....... BBQ, bake, fry??? I wish I could make a casserole. We love casseroles. I have broc and cauliflower. I also have cheese. But nothing to make a sauce/gravy. I will search for a recipe. We have cooked rice as well. That would make it higher carb though.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:31 pm

I made a casserole called Southwestern chicken and rice. It was yummy and hubby loved it. Smile and .... there's leftovers for tomorrow - yeah!
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:57 pm

This post will be all about food - so it might be really boring...............

Well - as I've increased my carbs my fasting glucose has gone up. Today 95. Now that I've been on this keto-ish thing for a while I realize why so many people find it extremely difficult and not sustainable. So much of the food we eat is heavy to the carb side of things. I've learned to live without the "paleo no-no's" but there are some things that I really struggle with!

Rice
Fruit (apples and grapes mostly, but melons in the summer)
Sweet potato, and the occasional white potato
Cashews (although the cost is prohibitive) and other options just don't cut it.

I'm not big on most veggies. So broc, cauli and salad greens is about it. I have a "texture" issue - if it is the slightest bit gooshy or slimmy I can't eat it without gagging. Which is why I do the "greens" in my morning protein drink. I'm finding a salad once a week is working great! My gut seems to be digesting the raw salad now - but I need to remember to limit it to once a week.

The powdered coconut milk I use in my protein drink gives it a yucky flavor. I may have to go back to liquid dairy alternatives.

I have decided to try to lower the carbs again - mainly for the sake of my fasting glucose. My hair loss seems to be slowing down and I think my body has adjusted to surviving on under 50 grams. When I was down in the true ketogenic range my FBG was really good. I'm wondering if the years of poor nutrient absorption has made my cells insulin resistant. I'm not sure how all that works - I mean, I'm familiar with the Kreb's cycle - but I certainly don't have a clear understanding of it. So, its a hunch only that maybe insulin resistance is a factor in my fatigue and hair loss, as well as my stubborn fat retention. Or maybe I just have too much time on my hands to mull over the possibilities. Rolling Eyes Wink

Whatever............... I'm going to see what happens if I go back to very low carb, like 20 net grams. I've also strayed a bit from my IFing schedule. So I will tighten that up a bit as well.

tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by marcadav on Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:48 pm

Please note-- You seem to be once again changing things because one thing, one time, indicates to you that there is a problem. Just a few days(or was it weeks?) ago you upped carbs because of your hair. Now you are lowering carbs again because of your BGL.

The problem, as I see it, is-- Your body never has a chance to figure things out and/or settle into anything because things are always changing. I really wish you could/would stay the course, any course, for at least 3 months, without any tweaks.

As for your BGL, was it tested recently? Have you had a HBA1c and/or fasting insulin test done recently? These tests would give you a better picture of your blood sugar and any issues you may have.

To be blunt- I, and I believe everyone here, want you to succeed in finding health. You have made some very good strides. However, I can't help but think you are still searching for the "Magic Bullet".

If there was a "Magic Bullet" I would have to say it would be consistency and time. Consistency in the choices made daily. And time, sometimes (unfortunately) lots of time, being consistent so the body can heal and rebuild.

marcadav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:32 pm

I'm not really sure what I'm "changing". The change is ever so slight --- I doubt 30 grams one way or the other is going to make a difference in how my body is adjusting - I mean on a daily basis that is normal fluctuation for anyone. How do I eat the exact same amount of carbs every single day?

I had my A1c and fasting glucose checked in August. My NP told me to try a Keto diet to bring down that FBG cuz she said it could be effecting a number of things that I'm dealing with. A1c was 5.4 but FBG was 111. I don't think fasting insulin was checked. But I would have to find my labs to be sure. The labs are consistent with my home finger sticks over the previous 6 months, checking intermittently. After going keto low carb, fluctuating between 15-45, my home checks dropped to the low 80's and were consistently at that level until I increased carbs to 50ish. Still I fluctuate between 30-70, but mostly the mid to upper of that range. I'm much more concerned with my FBG than I am my hair falling out. I tried increasing carbs to 50ish because of the extreme fatigue, the hair loss came about a month later and thats when I decided to stop trying the keto low level. But if my fasting glucose is going up again - thats not good. If I can do the keto low and not get the fatigue and feeling sicky then I think its best.

Other than slightly altering my carb intake I've been extremely consistent since August. My diet has been very clean. The only thing I've tweaked is a range of carb grams --- 20 for Keto or up to an average of 50 just trying to be low carb.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:08 pm

I disagree when your body is trying to heal, 10 grams of Carb up or down could make a difference.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:58 pm

wow - I had no idea. So, all this time I figured it didn't matter how I ate as long as I keep it clean and paleo. If this is true - then I will stop messing with things and settle on a number that will be my daily goal.

See - this is why I post here.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:00 am

Been mulling this over all evening............... I'm feeling a bit foolish. I so want to find the "right combination" of everything to HEAL MY GUT and FIX MY HEALTH.

Maybe I am looking for the "magic bullet". Saying that is embarrassing.

I have been searching for my perfect FIX for so long (11 years now) - and really nothing is perfect. There is a downside to everything single thing I've tried. Started out with Paleo, then the FODMAP diet back in 2011. Then one thing after another. As you all know - its been crazy. I just want someone to say "DO THIS" and everything will fall into place.

You all keep saying - stick to the same thing for at least 6 months. But what if what I'm doing is the wrong thing? Then I've wasted 6 months. My thinking is this --- if there are issues (like fatigue, nausea, hair loss, elevated FBG) then what I'm doing must be wrong! I keep thinking - when I find the "right" thing - there won't be any problems. I guess that is stupid thinking. I want to find a person - be it an NP or a nutritionist - to give me an assignment to follow. Someone who will say - its okay to feel XYZ - or experience MNOP - just stay with it, you won't die. Eventually - "this" will fix you.

I feel pressure (from myself) to get WELL!!! I'm not living my life.......... I'm barely existing. I'm a shell of the woman I want to be. I'm frustrated and impatient. Its not like I have some doctor saying --- okay you have "this" and you need to follow "this" protocol for X number of months/years and the "this" will go away. Then you will be the woman you want to be. Thats my "magic bullet".

But, even though I really love my NP, I still feel like I'm on my own here. She told me, "You have viruses living in your body that are interfering with the way you gut functions, causing a malabsorption, and making you fatigued, giving you IBS-D, making it impossible for you to lose weight". But she hasn't and can't tell me "do THIS, and all will be better". She keeps saying - you will feel better than you do right now...... BUT WHEN? Holy Hell - I'm tired of this!

And so --- I keep trying to find the perfect diet, the perfect combination of supplements, the perfect concoction for sleeping well. Blah, Blah, Blah.............. You all have been with me for the 11 years of trial and error. I've fixed the SIBO - yeah me! My former doc was NO help - except for giving me the mail in lab test that cost me $189. She was no help with the meds - I got those from my own office drug rep - thank you Lindita for being my advocate with the drug rep.

NP has cured my candida, and given me anti-virals for the EBV high levels of antibodies. She has told me "paleo is good", "keto will lower your high fasting glucose, and you will lose weight if you stay under 20 grams of carbs". And maybe its my fault for not staying in closer touch with her about the process. But she's done MORE for me than any doctor has for the past 40 years of being sick.

So............ I'm paleo - I'm consistent with my clean diet. I haven't changed my supplements. So --- I need to hone in on the right balance of macro's and STAY THERE!!! My problem with this is............. what is the right balance? Do I do a true KETO diet? and if so - how do I deal with the possible side effects of fatigue, nausea and hair loss? Do I push through? or is this a sign that I'm doing something damaging, rather than healing?

Everything KETO says................ keeps carbs 20 net or under, protein is your goal, and fat is for staying satiated. Don't track calories - just carbs. You can't eat too much fat........ unless your gut is jacked up and you can't digest high levels of fat. And also - protein will convert to fat if you eat too much - but how much is too much? I've kinda guessed that 80-95 grams is where I should be. That is pretty much where I aim. Carbs............... UGH!! I keep altering carbs grams. Can someone just tell me what NUMBER I should shoot for? And what to do should I start feeling like crap again?

So............. I know y'all are frustrated with my waffling around. Trust me - its just as frustrating for me! Twisted Evil I feel like I'm out in the middle of the Sahara Desert and I'm trying to find my way home!! But I have no compass. And so I wander......... and wander......... and wander. And I'm wasting time on things that are "wrong".

I want my "magic bullet" - even it takes a YEAR to see results. If someone could just say "follow this" and you will get well. Cuz I'm freakin' done with the trial and error.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:56 am

I could have sworn your NP told you to eat low carb.  If you got back all your energy and ability to do what you want, would you give up some hair?  You may be "the shell of the woman you used to be" but you are much better than you were this time last year.  You can not measure your 50-year-old self by your 20-30-year-old self.  You need to focus on how you feel compared to last year, last month, last week, yesterday.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:15 pm

Sorry for the rant...... goodness! A bit of emotional barfing happened last night - it was late, I was tired, but had stuff on my mind and wasn't ready for sleep. Anyway............ my apologies for dumping all that out here. But I needed to express my frustration. I also got my numbers wrong. I started having severe IBS-D 11 years ago - but found MDA 7 years ago. Not that it matters.... Like I said - I was tired and had already taken my sleep stuff - so my brain was fuzzy.

Yes, Kathi, my NP said "try the keto diet" for the fasting glucose and weight loss. She also said - "don't go crazy with it - take the weekends off if it will help you stay with it". I look online and I see "dirty keto", "lazy keto", "strict keto". Everyone finds what works for them. I'm just trying to find what works for me - and what I can stick with. If I got all my energy back I would be okay with being bald! Smile Okay, thats pushing it............ but yes, I could handle some hair loss. Although everything I read says it will grow back in a few months. Its a pride thing.

By definition -- what exactly is "low carb" ??? According to Mark Sisson its anything under 50 grams. According to the keto diet it is anything under 20 grams. I feel like trying to keep my carbs at the exact same level everyday would be really difficult. But, if you all honestly believe that is what I need to do then I will certainly give it my best effort. "Strict" is hard (as you all well know) and I don't have a support system to help. When I feeling weak - hubby encourages me to "just relax".

So - someone give me a carb number and I will do it.

tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:42 pm

At what carb count did you feel best at?
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:35 pm

50ish
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by marcadav on Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:48 pm

Tomi, what about Altshift now that you can handle more fat? It can be the best of both worlds-- low carb for BGL control and higher carb for the fruit, sweet potatoes, etc. that you miss. It will also give you more calories on one shift and less on the other.

Not to mention the amount of starchy carbs allowed on 3shift is what a person tolerates.

You may be near where I was in 2008. It was then where I gave myself permission to stay obese if I got and stayed healthy. I truly believe, as long as your weight is a factor in your journey, you will struggle.

Focus on healing and health. Accept your body as it is. Make good choices daily. Move daily, as much as possible. Rinse and repeat, over and over. The only things you can control are your choices and one important choice should be to pick a protocol and stick with it without tweaks. Consistency is important and a marathon, not a sprint.

BTW, keto is high fat, moderate protein, very low carb. The focus is on fat, not protein.

marcadav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:53 am

Tomi - I think in the past I mentioned Leanne Vogal’s “The Keto Diet” to you. It is excellent and she has several different paths to being keto. A test to help you determine which path works best for you. You might want to look at it. Many very good recipes are included. And she has I think, 4 weeks of menus w/recipes for each path.

So she would be giving you a number and the meals to get there. No thinking involved. Just stick to the menu. I think if what you want is someone to tell you exactly what to do, this would be a very good book for you.

Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:01 am

Tomi: I think you might find the latest PB podcast interesting, Cate Shanahan on going keto, addresses all kinds of stuff that sounds to me like it might be pertinent for your case.
http://blog.primalblueprint.com/
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:49 pm

Thank you all for the excellent advice!  Smile  

Marcadav -- I have been thinking about Jason and his Alt-Shift, in fact just this morning he popped into my thoughts.  But I don't think I ready for that just yet.  Maybe eventually that will be a good place to land.  I am coming to terms with my body composition.  It is a big struggle for me to be at home in this body - for many reasons, not just my size or weight.  But I won't go into that again - I'm sure you all know my struggles by this stage of the game.  But I am working on it........... still doing my affirmations, especially when I'm feeling not so great about me.  Finding my "happy place" with regards to a protocol is exactly what I'm trying to do.  A place that is not going to cause more harm or stress to my body is first priority.  After that, just finding a way of eating that I can stay with - that is sustainable in every aspect.  

NM - I will definitely look at that again.  In fact - right now...........  there, its in my cart on Amazon.  Smile  Hubby will be gone next weekend and I will spend that time reading.

RigD - I haven't paid much attention to MDA in a long time.  But I will do that right now.  Smile  

Thanks again!
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vh67 on Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:36 pm

Tomi,

You got a lot a great imput on your diet from the others, some of which I needed to hear myself. The thing that concerned and sadden me was how you feel you are not living life. Sometimes you need to accept that you have a chronic condition and enjoy life as it is. I am not suggesting that you are not going to get better or you should stop trying but take joy in what good you have in your life now. Don't stop living while you wait to be better. As you know, I have lymphoma, celiacs, PCOS and a wide range of other health issues. Some days I wallow in self pity but I have found it just makes it worse. The best progress I make is when I accept I have limitations and keep going doing what I can, even if it is not what I want to. I understand the frustration you feel but I am just angry when I focus on the negatives. I need to work everyday at being positive and happy. I have come to realize happiness is choice and I have so much to be happy about. Knowing that I have so much in my life, I work so hard on my health.

You also have so much good in your life. Work on making tomorrow better today and taking joy in today. Positivity begats positivity. I know it is not easy and takes work but you are worth it!
Vh67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 17 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next