Tomi found her way - and the quest continues.

Page 14 of 17 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Go down

Re: Tomi found her way - and the quest continues.

Post by tomi1000 on Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:13 pm

Macro's for 10/27/2018

Calories - 1460
Net Carbs - 25
Fat - 104
Protein - 102

According to the protein calculators I've looking at I should have .6 -.8 grams per pound of lean body weight (for a sedentary person). That puts me at 108 grams. (135 x .Cool I think thats the right way to figure it. At 135 I'm pretty lean.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:13 pm

Tomi to figure lean body mass, you need to know your body fat %. Then you multiply your current weight by that %. That gives you pounds of body fat. Subtract that from your total body weight and the number you get is your lean body mass.

Lean body mass is not what you want to weigh.

If you weighed 150 and had 36% body fat, your fat pounds would be 54, so your lean body mass would be 96 pounds. Then you times 96 by .8 and that gives you protein.

I hope that helps.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:12 pm

oh............. NM --- I know my BMI. But I know thats not the same as % body fat. A few years ago my doctor told me my total fat was 44%. But I think its higher now. Probably more like 50%.

So if I use 50% ....... then my lean body weight is 105. That puts protein need at 84 grams. Thats not where I have my goal set on MFP. I have it set at 94. I'll adjust so I'm not eating too much protein.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:51 pm

Ok, so figure out what 44% is and then use the range from 84 to whatever the 44% is. That covers and remember you don’t have to be spot on. A little over isn’t a huge deal.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:13 am

^ thank you Smile
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:20 am

I'm really trying to get this right. I feel like I'm still in the learning curve phase. I am committed to staying with keto. I've read a lot and I do believe its the right path for me. But, like I was told, I will probably carb up once a week. That means maybe I will be going in and out of ketosis I guess - and I've read that is totally okay. I do feel a lot less bloat with keeping my carbs really low. When I go up near 50 I start to feel bloated again.

tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:39 am

I strongly suggest those keto sticks to see just where you are on the scheme.  

Of course, my body is different but once I was turning purple and ate off plan a little, it did not take long to I get back to purple.  I quit because I began getting light headed in the summer heat -- years back.  

I am glad you feel better being in ketosis.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:23 pm

I do have the keto sticks - but I keep forgetting to use them. Rolling Eyes

Nothing much to report. Every day is like the last these days.

I sleep really bad or really good. Once in a while will feel like a normal person, but 99% of the time I feel like I'm barely getting through the day. Yesterday I woke up feeling pretty good, did a few very simple tasks around the house (put 2 door magnet in the kitchen cabinets), and that did me in for the rest of the day. I wish I could find a magic pill to make the chronic fatigue go away.

Feeling a bit depressed today.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:13 pm

Tomi, take a look back at your journal and see how much better you are doing.  It is okay to have kind of blah days, but you are healing.  Remember everything in His time.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:58 pm

Tomi you have made tremendous strides this year. I know they are hard for you to see, but like Pedi said, we can see them through your posts.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:27 pm

Pedidoc wrote:Tomi, take a look back at your journal and see how much better you are doing.  It is okay to have kind of blah days, but you are healing.  Remember everything in His time.

Narrowminded wrote:Tomi you have made tremendous strides this year.  I know they are hard for you to see, but like Pedi said, we can see them through your posts.

Smile and this is why I need you all. You see with different eyes, and it sure helps.

I am doing so much better than I was a year ago.

1. I know what is wrong and that is a huge stress gone.
2. I have really cleaned up my diet.
3. I have found what is best for a good nights sleep - doesn't always work, but for the most part, my strategies do work.
4. I have more hope for a better future.
5. I no longer use alcohol for my "drug of choice" to deal with insomnia.
6. I have found that the hot-tub will normally stop the fibro pain.
7. I have worked through some deep-seated emotional stressors, and am mindful of when they try to take over again.
8. I have set my pride aside and learned to yield to the needs of my body and not that of my ego.
9. I have learned to be content in my circumstances and have gained much patience for the process of healing. Even though I falter at times! Smile

Today I was reading a post on a CFS/ME - Fibromyalgia page that I follow on FB. The person mentioned a process called Mickel Therapy. I did some research on the technique and watched a few vids on youtube. The premise is............ CFS/ME and Fibro can be "cured" by resetting the function of the hypothalamus. This is done by talk therapy and retraining the brain to better deal with emotional stressors of the past and present. The idea is that the hypothalamus goes into "over drive" due to emotional and/or physical stressors and basically the entire system crashes. The developer of this technique, Dr. Mickel, talked about the MO of the diseases - starting with digestive disorders, and ultimately ending with debilitating pain, fatigue and weak cognitive function (brain fog). He spelled it out quite well. The theory is very interesting, although, this particular therapy is not widely used, and there is actually only ONE practitioner in the whole of the US. However - the mind-body connection is seriously ignored by the medical field as a whole. The explanation states that the hypothalamus - pituitary - autonomic nervous system connection to emotional stressors as well as physical stressors needs to be addressed in order to "heal" the body of the symptoms of the chronic illness. Obviously there is no science to back up the claims, but there is some anecdotal evidence - although it could be all placebo effect driven. There is a closely related therapy called Reverse Therapy - not sure what that is yet. But I am going to investigate. It just got me thinking.............. that perhaps the trauma from my childhood, stressors of my first marriage, and stressors related to my step-daughters might have played a much bigger role in my current health issues that what I have allowed myself to believe. I may try to find a counselor/therapist who deals with past trauma as a specialty.

Just read this blog - http://www.spiritofchange.org/Journal-of-Natural-Healing/Victory-Over-Chronic-Fatigue-Syndrome-Through-Reverse-Therapy/ and I think I understand that Reverse Therapy is a process of reversing the trauma's that we've experienced.

Much to think about...............

I'm certainly not going to be trying to do this Mickel Therapy - but I am going to look into this theory a bit more.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:48 pm

Tomi, I honestly think what you are doing is working.  I really, really, really would like you to not try anything new until you have given this several months.  I know you want to get better faster, but I feel you are constantly looking for a faster cure.  I get it patience is hard, but if you keep adding to and changing, you muddle the outcome.  Speaking as a researcher, you have to limit your variables to get a true idea of what is working
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:36 pm

Yes, Kathi, I absolutely agree. I won't be changing anything at all for a good long while. I'm just saying the theory is interesting and I'm going to do some more reading on it. Not going to jump into anything. Smile I promise!

I haven't changed anything accept for tweaking my balance of macros for many months. My diet has been really good, I've stayed with the same routine and supplements for sleep and I'm letting my energy level dictate pretty much everything.

I scheduled my well woman exam for Nov. 13. I skipped last year due to the extreme fatigue. I will also be getting a mammogram this year, as that too got skipped last year. NP has called in the order, just waiting for the radiology place to call and schedule.

The new security system is installed at the shop but hubby needs me to come down and get it set up and running. We will be doing that Saturday afternoon when there will be no customers and no phones to interrupt my concentration.

I seem to have a kidney stone on the move. I started having flank pain about 10 last night - its just a dull ache. The pain moved to the front above my hip bone during the night. Now there is very little pain, so I may have passed the stone during the night, or it floated back up into my kidney. I got out my "strainer" this morning, but likely the stone has passed. I take Chanca Piedra daily - and have since I had the 11 mm stone in 2015 that I had Lithotripsy to blast to bits. I have been taking capsules the past 6 months, but liquid tincture is much better absorbed so I have ordered a bottle.

I need to make a bank deposit to both personal and business accounts, different banks, but I am not going to try to go today. I did not sleep well last night due to the pain, and worry that it could be a big stone again --- so I will plan to go tomorrow. I may try to nap today.

tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:28 pm

Sorry to hear about the kidney stones.  Many stories from previous coworkers about them.  

Take care.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:38 pm

Thanks, Pam Smile I'm doing better today - I think I must have passed it - or its still in my bladder. Smile
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:10 pm

tomi1000 wrote:Thanks, Pam Smile  I'm doing better today - I think I must have passed it - or its still in my bladder.  Smile  
I'd rather have another baby without pain meds than another kidney stone!!
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:52 am

I had 2 kidney stones in pre kids and. Yup, rather have kids. Did they test any of the stones you’ve passed to see what they were made of?

They did with one of mine and found it was calcium oxylate.

Hope today is better for you
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:15 pm

I haven't had any pain since Thursday very early morning. So I'm hoping it passed. Must have been a small one if it did. The other option is that its another large one and it just moved away from the duct opening. I was having pain for 6 months with the other one and they couldn't find anything on an ultrasound, until I ended up in the emergency department at 2 AM yelling loudly and throwing up! Two shots of dilaudid and a CAT scan later and I was on my way home. It took a week to see the urologist, another week to schedule the lithotripsy procedure and 2 more weeks to recover with another trip to the ED one week in because the thing they put in the duct was causing the same pain as the stone had. Another CAT scan and more dilaudid! That was my December from hell! I keep praying this isn't going to be a repeat.

Oh - your question, NM - no they did not test it. But I don't take calcium as a precaution. My NP says they have discovered that calcium supplements don't cause kidney stones................ however, as I'm typing this I have realized that over the past 6 months or so I have been relying on Tums to settle my tummy with the increased fat intake. I wonder.............. I will stop doing that!

Had a hard time falling asleep last night - I was having some anxiety over this thing with my son. It both hurts and angers me. Once I started thinking logically - and took a couple Tylenol I was able to sleep. But it wasn't a good night. I'm not doing great today - and I really need to make a trip to both banks today. I'm planning on going this afternoon. Its just 10 am right now, I think I will plan to go around 4:00. As long as my head is clear. If the brain fog happens I won't drive. The banking can wait until Monday if need be.

Dinner will be left overs (pork loin for me, ground beef patty for him, with cauli and broc).

Still waiting on the final settlement of moms house. Gosh this is dragging on and on. Everything has closed, but BIL needs to meet with the lawyer for a last time to determine final costs and then the account can be split and closed. What a long process this has been. Everyone will be relieved to have it over and done with.

I stepped on the scale this morning........... no change. Still 210. Not that I thought it would be any different. My body has not changed. Obviously there is not enough healing yet for my body to release any of its fat stores. My calories are running between 1200-1500. Macros are right with keto guidelines. I'm trusting the process. Maybe in another year things will be better.

My hair is still falling out. Sad

I think I am in an Eeyore mood today. I need another really great night of sleep to bring me out of this funk.

tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:30 pm

Right after I finished the above the post - the sun came out and I got a little burst of energy so I quickly ran to the banks. The timing was perfect as 11:00 am is a great time for very low traffic congestion. So - my errand is done and now I am back in my sweats and can relax instead of get anxious about having to try to go out. Smile It feels like a Hallmark movie kind of day.

On my way to the bank I was at a stop light and I saw a woman waiting to cross the street. She had come out of the Walgreens with her little portable cart - she looked like she probably lived on a very limited income, wearing kinda tattered clothing and she was quite over weight --- and then she lite up a cigarette - and I thought how very sad that she spends money on such an unhealthy and unnecessary habit. It made me sad for her.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:48 pm

Tomi I’m glad you day turned around and you got your banking done. Hopefully you will sleep well tonight.

Hugs
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:27 pm

^ hugs back Wink
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:24 am

Hubby canned candied jalepeno's and salsa today. Both are water bath so quick and easy. I helped with filling and sealing the jars. I'm just not interested in canning this year - I think we won't do nearly as much or the variety we normally do. Maybe just curries this year.

Chicken and rice for dinner. Probably around 75 carbs today. Didn't track.

tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:29 am

Sounds like a delish day which you will appreciate throughout the year
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:09 am

Are you going to give the kids a choice of home canned goods for Christmas again?
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:28 pm

Yes we will do canned food as part of our family Christmas. The kids seem to appreciate it.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 17 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next