Tomi found her way - and the quest continues.

Page 13 of 17 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Go down

Re: Tomi found her way - and the quest continues.

Post by tomi1000 on Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:38 pm

Not feeling my best today. My tummy has not recovered yet. Still feels tender and bloated, and I'm a little nauseous. I did have a small salad with dinner last night - might be contributing.

Hubby has gone to Portland this morning to get his Apple iTunes account unlocked. He had to go to the corporate office cuz the stores here do not have the security clearance or some such thing.

tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:42 pm

Hubby can be such a duffus! He got the store he thought he was supposed to be at - just to find out he needs to be at the Apple store - not the AT&T store. I thought he knew that. So - now he's waiting until they open in about 20 minutes. Gotta love him.......... he's so cute!
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:13 pm

I think I need to increase my protein intake - my hair is falling out!! My thick locks have thinned to the point that I'm about to panic! I've spent the last 2 years growing my hair long - and now I'm losing it. Sad I'm on a Keto for Women over 50 facebook page and everyone says it is totally normally to lose hair on Keto - and it will grow back. For now I'm going to try to lower carbs again so I can increase protein. I'm not seeing a smaller image in the mirror. So far the only benefit to going keto is the fasting glucose drop. Well, I am sleeping lots better and that could be directly related to the keto diet too. I'm not quitting though............ I have committed to this diet for the health bennies and I will stay with it. Just have to adjust my macros again.

The new security system at the shop has failed. The cameras stopped working over the weekend. Hubby and his computer savvy employee have tried to get it up and running again but it just isn't cooperating. So - its back in the box and back it goes. So - we are again trying to figure out what to do about security.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:46 pm

sorry to hear that the security system failed.  

I never lost hair on keto.  this is worrisome.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:25 pm

perennialpam wrote:sorry to hear that the security system failed.  

I never lost hair on keto.  this is worrisome.

It seems to be fairly common. The Diet Doctor talks about it here. https://www.dietdoctor.com/can-low-carb-diets-result-in-hair-loss. My guess is the low carb plus my already present nutrient deficiencies. Probably too much stress on the hair follicles. Thats just my guess. I'm hoping the increased protein will help stop the fallout. I've ordered Biotin, I already take collagen, but will up my dose a little, and I'm going to try castor oil. I have a friend who used it and said it was awesome. I haven't really cut calories. Still eating 1500 on average. Since my life is very sedentary these days I don't need much to keep me going.

Puttering around the house today. I'm feeling good enough that I can get some things done if I pace myself. cheers Nothing strenuous - just the mundane chores like laundry, dishes, dusting.............

Bible study tonight (mens) - so I'll work on boat shop stuff during that time. Unless I crash - then I will take my laptop to bed and watch a movie. Smile

Do y'all remember Judg? Its odd, but I still wonder about her. I hope she is okay. She suffered from chronic fatigue - I can relate now that I have the Dx as well. I remember she was trying Paleo to see if it would help her fatigue, my guess is it didn't help enough to stay with it so she lost interest. But, I still wonder what happened with her. Seems silly since I barely "knew" her. But for some reason I really liked her and what she had to contribute to the conversations. I pray she and her husband are well.

Still no contact from my son. I haven't seen him since the July 4th gathering that started our rift. I know my son - and when he closes the door, he usually locks it and throws away the key. He has done this with his dad. I fear, as every day passes, that he has done this with me as well. Until now, we have not gone more than 3 weeks without seeing each other, except for the 6 months he lived in New Mexico with his dad. Most days I can shake it off........ but today my heart is hurting a little. There is a part of me that says "well fine then - screw you". Thats the defiant part of me that hides behind anger instead of feeling the pain. I'd rather be indignant than feel defeated. I know he could call or text at any time - and thats where I chose to focus mostly. Hope - hope is better than anything else. However - relationships are not a high priority for him - unless he perceives a substantial benefit for himself. He's kinda like the character Sheldon on Big Bang Theory. Not quite that drastic, but kinda similar. He takes after his dad way more than I would have liked.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by marcadav on Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:41 pm

Tomi, how are your iron levels including ferritin? Since red meat is an issue for you, you may not be getting enough iron. Anemia can can hair loss, as well as fatigue/lack of energy.

Your comment, "I'm not seeing a smaller image in the mirror." worries me. It says, to me, that you might still be too concerned with/focused on how you look. This concern/focus might have you changing things up too often.

marcadav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:01 pm

marcadav wrote:Tomi, how are your iron levels including ferritin? Since red meat is an issue for you, you may not be getting enough iron. Anemia can can hair loss, as well as fatigue/lack of energy.

Your comment, "I'm not seeing a smaller image in the mirror." worries me. It says, to me, that you might still be too concerned with/focused on how you look. This concern/focus might have you changing things up too often.

I have been anemic in the past when I was younger but all my blood tests have been good for the past several years. My multiple vitamin offers 10 mg Iron - 56% of daily recommended.

I'm always a little concerned about my size - but for the most part my comment was simply an observation and reflection on the fact that my body is still not healed enough to release the fat stores. I'm not focusing my energies on weight loss or body size. I think I am sort of equating weight/size with healing level. If that makes sense. So, other than just basing my healing on how I feel - which really may not change too much given my health issues - I figure once my body/gut/nutrient level is at a healthy level my body "should" begin to let go of the fat. Especially since my caloric intake is at a sedentary maintenance level. So - I guess I'm sorta waiting for the fat to drop off to indicate I'm getting healthier. I don't know what else to base it on. Blood tests and urine screening may not change and can be costly to monitor. My energy level may not change - I think that depends on how my immune system is dealing with the viruses. I am going to talk to my NP next time I see her about increasing my dose as I have read that some people are taking double the dose that I am on. That might help. I need to see a sign that I am getting better....... so I'm looking at any and all options.

Does this make sense?
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:07 pm

We got a recommendation for another brand of security system from a local business owner. Its more expensive, but looks like a good option. It has both wired and wireless options (lithium battery packs, rechargable). We are trying to figure out what to do. These kinds of decisions are hard to make when you don't know a lot about what your buying. But all the reviews say it is easy to install and hook up to phones and PCs. But, there doesn't seem to be remote operation of the system - only viewing live and recorded. Thats not great but we can live with it.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:20 pm

So sorry to hear the security system didn’t work out. I hope the next one does.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:41 pm

Tomi, I am with Marcadav, you need to stop worrying about how you look.  Instead, please focus on how you feel and healing.  You are blessed to have a DH who LOVES you just as you are - think about how many women are not loved that way.  Stress will cause hair loss also.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:53 pm

Pedidoc wrote:Tomi, I am with Marcadav, you need to stop worrying about how you look.  Instead, please focus on how you feel and healing.  You are blessed to have a DH who LOVES you just as you are - think about how many women are not loved that way.  Stress will cause hair loss also.

Thanks, Kathi - not "worried" really. Like I said - it is (or will be) an indication of healing - so I'm just watching for signs. My energy level is all over the place so I don't feel its a very good indicator right now. I'm sleeping really good so thats got to be a sign that things are moving in the right direction. Smile

Hubby called this morning and talked to customer support at the Lorex company, the security system that we are looking at. They told him for what we are using it for our best bet is the wired kind, as opposed to blue tooth wireless. We will look at the website more tonight and make a decision on a system.

Its not a good day today so I'm just gonna watch movies and do some reading. I've been out of my B-complex for about a week, its ordered and should be here tomorrow. I just want to lay down and sleep. Might be a "hubby, can you bring dinner home" night. I might just take a nap.

I'm doing good on my macros. Although yesterday I did hit 75 net carbs. Sweet potato for dinner - and a few nut clusters. I think thats the highest I've been since starting keto. I'm always under 50 net carbs. I have increased my protein by using 2 scoops of protein powder. I'm hitting 90 grams per day. I don't pay too much attention to fat, I just use it to make sure I'm getting enough calories.

Sleeping right and eating right. Two gold stars for me! Smile
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by marcadav on Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:28 pm

Tomi, I don't see body comp as an indicator that healing is taking place. I see body comp as a byproduct of being healthy. The body will find its natural/healthy composition once healing and health is achieved.

Using my journey as an example-- I was kept under medicated for thyroid disease for 8 years. When I finally received enough thyroid hormones it took 6 months before my body composition started to respond to my healing and getting healthy.

I think looking at different healing/health indicators would be more productive. Your improved sleep is one such indicator. Seeing your energy improve and be consistent is another, as is being able to walk, do yoga, etc. consistently. Being able to tolerant different/more diverse foods is yet another.

I can't help but think using what you see in the mirror as a healing/health indicator will only hinder your progress by discouraging you. Getting discouraged, by what the mirror shows you, may lead to less than optimal choices out of frustration.

marcadav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:20 pm

Marcadav - I see what you're saying about getting discouraged if not seeing results. The upside of all this is that even if I do get discouraged - my lessons learned have trained me not to use food (or the wrong kinds of food) to appease my saddened spirit. I am very strong now and my poor food choices are few and far between. I know the results of eating those wrong foods and I don't want to go there. Sugar of any kind gives me fibro issues and terrible pin-prickling itching skin - gluten gives me horrible gut troubles - gluten free alternatives isn't much better than the real stuff - dairy (except for minimal amounts of cheese) makes me nauseated even with lactaid pills. My favorite thing in all the world is chocolate, and that causes a whole different kind of gastric hell. I might get emotionally frustrated and discouraged, but I really doubt I would ever go to food again. The "screw-it" mentality is absolutely self-destructing and self-defeating.

I got a small burst of energy and brain clarity so I decided to throw some beef patties and salmon fillets on the Mack like you all suggested - cook ahead and freeze. Smile And now I don't have to ask hubby to bring home dinner, even though I know he doesn't mind.

This weekend hubby wants to start our annual canning. We will do just tuna this weekend. Its already cut into chunks so we just need to thaw it out and stuff it into the pint jars. I need to have hubby bring in all the jars tonight so I can start running them through the dishwasher. We think we have enough tuna to do about 40 pints. Next weekend we will most likely do some curry. We haven't decided how many different things we will can - but with my energy levels we are probably only doing one or 2 things per weekend.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:34 pm

Went to bed at 9:30. Slept until 7:30. Up twice to potty. I feel like I had a solid nights sleep - but I'm groggy and low energy. Hopefully it will clear. Had a little talk with hubby before we fell asleep - I told him how much I appreciated him and all he does. I also told him I was feeling a bit scared for where our future is headed - considering my health issues. He said he was a bit scared too - but that I shouldn't worry cuz we are in this together no matter what happens. What a love he is! I can't begin to express how thankful I am for the day he came back into my life and for the blessing given for a second chance. Smile I am a happy girl. This little talk has renewed my commitment to doing all that I can to regain my health. Not that I was giving up -- but there are days when I wonder if all I am doing can really change the ultimate outcome. That thought is always fleeting - but also always lurking in the background. I do believe I can improve my health and still have a good future and have many wonderful adventures with my sweetie. Should we be blessed with a long life together.

Eating healthy, sleeping well, avoiding stress, keeping a positive attitude, and moving as I am able.

We decided on a security system - a Lorex. Decided to spend a bit more on a more advanced system. Considering what the break-in's have cost us in the past, and could potentially cost us in the future we decided it is a wise investment. They system has all the bells and whistles and will send push notifications if IR movement is detected. The last system did not have IR and would constantly send notifications when the wind was blowing or it was raining, even if there were spider webs in front of the camera. That was a waste of $800. Lessons learned. Being it was the first system we had ever bought, we consider it a part of the learning curve. We have actually been very fortunate over the 25 years the shop has been in business. The incident that happened a couple years ago - with the vandalism to one boat could have cost us over $10K - but the boat owner filed a claim with his insurance, and we simply covered his deductible. The customer outboard that was stolen last month was valued at $600, and he agreed to take it as a credit on future work. We sure have amazing customers. Smile What a huge blessing.

There was an issue with our credit card when we placed the order - so I'm waiting for a confirmation email that the unit has shipped. It says same day shipping so I am expecting it will ship out today if all clears.

We finally replaced the microwave that was damaged when we had the power issue in the spring. Received that this morning. I will swap them out and take the old one to the recycle.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:04 pm

Sounds like a productive day Tomi, good for you.

Also happy you and DH had that talk too. Puts your abandonment issues to rest I hope. Smile
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:14 pm

Thanks, NM. It was a great comfort to hear him say those words. More for the assurance that he will be with me on an emotional level.

You know - I've never really feared hubby would leave me by choice. He's not that kind of man. Even in his previous marriage, she cheated on him, and he was still willing to forgive and forget, but she opted out. He and I have the same view on marriage. We both would have stayed with our former spouses, but they both chose to leave. Lucky for us.......... as it gave us the second chance to have a life together. Smile And we are both a million times happier in this life!

I've never feared being abandoned by any of the women in my life........ such as sisters, mom or friends. Its just men. I've kinda grown up with this mantra running through my head... "men leave". Not always by choice. It all comes from growing up fatherless, then my Grandad passed away when I was 16 -- and then the boyfriends who all broke up with me - and then the ex husband.

I just have a general mis-trust that men with stay in my life.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:15 am

Tomi I do think that is something you should work with a counselor about. I really do think it would help you in so many ways. I know you’ve done some counseling for it, but it still comes up here a lot and I know it concerns you about your son. Please think about it. Smile
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:00 am

Thinking about it, NM Wink

Slept awful last night. Slept light and kept waking up - not fully awake, but enough to know I was thinking about stuff and not dreaming. Weird night.

Got up early. I woke up at 6:00 from a bad dream. Got up at 6:30 and spent a little time with hubby before he left for work. Smile Morning snuggles is always the best way to start the day.

I bought castor oil for my hair (can't hurt right?), and I got the biotin yesterday. Since increasing protein it does kinda seem like there is less hair fall-out in the shower and in my brush. Does it work that fast?

tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:15 am

I've been fussing about losing hair for at least a year.  My hairdresser informs me that we lose a good amount of hair consistently.  

What I hate about this issue is I worry about accidentally having hair in dishes I make to share and the fact that I can see the hair on my clothing.  Makes it look like I never wash my clothing.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:33 pm

perennialpam wrote:I've been fussing about losing hair for at least a year.  My hairdresser informs me that we lose a good amount of hair consistently.  

What I hate about this issue is I worry about accidentally having hair in dishes I make to share and the fact that I can see the hair on my clothing.  Makes it look like I never wash my clothing.

Yes we do lose hair on a regular basis. But since doing the keto diet I have lost a noticeable amount. I'm a little prideful about my hair I'm ashamed to say.

I too worry that it will fall into something I'm cooking. Hubby has a "thing" about hair that is unattached to a body - it grosses him out! So the last thing I want to do is get one of my 16" long hairs in his food! affraid

Had a nice visit with friend "A". We watched Letters to Juliet. Such a sweet movie! My favorite part is where Claire and Lorenzo find each other - and that first eye locking encounter! Smile So romantic!
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:32 pm

Sleep was not great, but I won't complain Smile I was hoping for a good day because I really want to make a run to the store, but so far its not looking promising. The shower took about everything out of me and I didn't even dry my hair. So I'm hoping if I just take it easy for a few hours I will have enough energy to get dressed and make a short trip to the store. I only need about 8 things. I want to make a cauliflower crust pizza this weekend so I need mozzarella cheese and toppings. Not sure what to use for a sauce. We both prefer a white sauce, but that wouldn't go with meat toppings. Will have to give this some thought. Maybe I will just skip the sauce.

I put castor oil on my scalp last night and on my eyelashes and brows. I will do a nightly treatment for 2 or 3 weeks and then go to every other night. I don't like to wash my hair every day cuz its takes so long to air dry - and blow drying every day is too exhausting! It takes a good 20 minutes to blow dry, and I worry it will dry it out doing a daily blow dry. Going to get a hair trim isn't as easy as it used to be. In fact, its been a entire year since BIL cut my hair. I've had hubby trim it once, and I trimmed it once. With long hair it isn't difficult to do at home.

Today I need to get the pint jars run through the dishwasher. We have 44 jars, but that might not be enough. We have 9 one gallon ziplock bags full of tuna. One pint will take 3-4 chunks of meat. Just not sure how many chunks are each bag. Luckily there is a Bi-Mart about 1 mile away.

tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:32 pm

Jars washed, but not much else got accomplished. I 1/2 slept all day on the sofa, kinda watching movies on Netflix. Hubby is at the store right now - getting our Rx's, the groceries, and dinner.

It is what it is............... I know that some days will be like this.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:48 pm

https://primalperks.com/2016/06/26/i-was-doing-keto-wrong/

Just came across this article. Smile I'm going to work on tweaking my macro's to reach these goals/guidelines. Although I am seeing (I think) progress in healing my gut health, I don't really think I'm seeing much else. Not that I want to see a whole bunch of stuff happening all at once............. I know this is going to be a slow process since my body has some pretty drastic issues to fix. Upping my fat is going to up my calories - and I need to NOT worry about that.

So - again I need to remove all nuts from my diet. I have been relying on these for "filler food". Maybe I will try to make some "fat bombs" for those times when I just need something - except those normally are made with cream cheese and I'm working on cutting all dairy. Ideally I would not need to eat anything between meals. l would like to get away from the protein drinks in the morning - but for now I think they are giving me good nutrition. I'm doing 2 scoops of the protein powder, one scoop of greens, 1 TB coconut oil powder, and 1/2 an avocado. According to MFP it is 387 calories, 5 carbs, 19 fat, 44 protein. That means I need to really up the fat with added fats at dinner. Avocado mayo, ghee and fatty meat is something I need to focus on. My gut seems to be doing okay with the higher fat amounts now. As long as I take my digestive enzymes.

I do feel very sure that a keto diet is the best way for me to eat and will result in improved health in the long run.

We are canning tuna today. It looks like we will have a total of 52 pints. I think tomorrow we will do the candied jalepeno's and salsa. Both are easy cuz they just require a water bath.

I'm taking it easy, and hubby let me set the pace and decide what and how much we will do. Smile He's a love!!!
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:23 pm

When you up your fat too much you start having issues, remember??

What if you make a modified shake for a snack?
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:00 pm

Yes, Kathi - thats true. But I do keep hoping that I can slowly increase the fat and my body will adjust. I guess this comes from the "faith" that my body is healing and my digestive troubles are going to be going away.

Positive thinking.........

I'm still holding to the basics - just trying to "do" keto properly.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 17 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next